Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Emperor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Who is the greatest emperor from the Medes to the Sassians?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
169 [67.87%]
24 [9.64%]
18 [7.23%]
2 [0.80%]
19 [7.63%]
4 [1.61%]
8 [3.21%]
1 [0.40%]
2 [0.80%]
2 [0.80%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Emperor
    Posted: 31-Dec-2007 at 23:01
Originally posted by kingofmazanderan

Cyrus the great because of his declaration of humen rights.

This was my reasoning as well, in addition to being a great leader he was also quite the humanitarian. He outlawed slavery and declared freedom of religious expression, his ideas were truly ahead of their time

Edited by nova roma - 31-Dec-2007 at 23:03
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 13:53
I would say Cyrus cause he was a kind emperor by returning the Jews to Canaan and built them a temple.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2008 at 18:06
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

I would say Cyrus cause he was a kind emperor by returning the Jews to Canaan and built them a temple.

LOL, if Cyrus knew that of all his achievements  he would be chosen as the best emperor just for releasing some thousand slaves he would commit suicide.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 01:58

...Yesss take into account that that perception of "kind" which you are applying to Cyrus is probably the Judeo-Christian ethic of our own cultures. I would seriously reconsider calling him "kind" in that way - a "Kind" kind in the ancient near east was one who slaughtered his enemies and decemated enemy lands - and brought wealth and prosperity to his people. Obviously the virtues that apply to all humanity actually are still applicable to the ancient near east, but the kinds of "kindness" that is being implied by Cyrus returning the Jews to their homeland is really a Judeo-Christian and not an ancient-near eastern one.

It would be wrong to think of Cyrus's "Kindness" in his own state to be "kindness" in our own sense by moral motives - for a massive, multi-cutural and lingual like the Archenemid Persian empire, collaboration with all areas of society was easier for the persians to establish their control. Regard how easily Cyrus took Babylon from Nabordinius in 539 BC - who supposedly was not "kind" in the ancient sense. Cyrus decided to take the completely opposite route to Nabordinius by honouring the national gods of Babylon (apparently Nabordinius tried to implement Assyrian gods into Babylon which obviously caused mass resenment - but I've always found this confusing - religion at that stage wasn't personal so why would the people care except if it was intended to be a mark of foreign intervention - it couldn't have been because the Assyrian empire had been more or less destroyed...but that's another issue)...and it worked, so it is not suprising that seeing this method work well that he would have applied it to other areas in his kingdom. There was no way that an empire like the Archenemid Persian empire could have surivived for as long as it did without contributions and recognition of an ethnically egalitarian society to some extent. This can be seen reflected in the "Cyrus Cylinder" that stated some of the earliest now universally accepted human rights in the world (in fact, the UN building apparently has a replica in it's lobby for this reason and the text was translated into all offical UN langauges in 1971) - so if we are going to rate these men on their ethical achievements from the basis of the newest and most dynamic ethical theories, it would be Cyrus but certainly not for the reasons that you state above.

The Cyrus Cylinder

Here is one of the most famous inscriptions -

The worship of Marduk, the king of the gods, he [Nabonidus] [chang]ed into abomination. Daily he used to do evil against his city [Babylon] ... He [Marduk] scanned and looked [through] all the countries, searching for a righteous ruler willing to lead [him] [in the annual procession]. [Then] he pronounced the name of Cyrus, king of Anshan, declared him to be[come] the ruler of all the world ... I am Cyrus, king of the world, great king, legitimate king, king of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad, king of the four rims [of the earth], son of Cambyses, great king, king of Anshan, grandson of Cyrus,  great king, king of Anshan, descendant of Teispes, great king, king of Anshan, of a family [which] always [exercised] kingship; whose rule Bel [Marduk] and Nebo love, whom they want as king to please their hearts ... I did not allow anybody to terrorize [any place] of the [country of Sumer] and Akkad. I strove for peace in Babylon and in all his [other] sacred cities. As to the inhabitants of Babylon ... I abolished forced labour ... From Nineveh, Assur and Susa, Akkad, Eshnunna, Zamban, Me-Turnu and Der until the region of Gutium, I returned to these sacred cities on the other side of the Tigris, the sanctuaries of which have been ruins for a long time, the images which [used] to live therein and established for them permanent sanctuaries. I [also] gathered all their [former] inhabitants and returned [to them] their habitations.

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 11-Jan-2008 at 01:59
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 11:50
Originally posted by Vorian

Originally posted by Sun Tzu

LOL, if Cyrus knew that of all his achievements  he would be chosen as the best emperor just for releasing some thousand slaves he would commit suicide.

Cyrus was said to be a pious man. At deat he was buried in a simple tomb. He also civilized the Persians and at such a large scale, they were considered barbarians to the Babylonians, and built the empire.

I personally like Cyrus, he is indeed deserving of the title 'the Great.'
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 17:06
I aslo vote Cyrus as the best, but not for his kindness. He managed to create the first world empire.
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 20:52
Originally posted by Vorian

I aslo vote Cyrus as the best, but not for his kindness. He managed to create the first world empire.

This was done by the New Kingdom Egypt several hundred years before Persia even existed.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 19:44

i think You should write  ''HARPAGOS'' instead of Cyrus...Coz he made Cyrus an Emperor and he faught in everywhere for Cyrus... Harpagos changed the histort not Cyrus...Wink

HARPAGOS the GREAT lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234