Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Armenia a tabu subject in this forum?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Armenia a tabu subject in this forum?
    Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 01:47
Is it me or does every single thread about Armenia or the Armenian question end up being locked? The last two threads were locked since the one discussion deviated from the main subject ending up in Azeri nationalistic demonstrations in New York (http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7875) while the other one was going in circles since two Trukish forum members were dragging the discussion over and over and over again to the same spot
(http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8672)

In the first thread the admin could rebuke the Azeri member who deviated from the main issue, but chose to lock the entire thread, while the second thread was locked "until the feelings had cooled down"? Do you consider the feelings to have cooled down now, or will it wait futher into the seemingly unclear future?

I have never seen this kind of behaviour in any other forum and please do let me know if this forum is exclusive for expressing certain views so the rest are aware of these rules.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 02:43
We have many Turk forummers, and some Armenians too - they usually end up being too aggressive and mods policy seems to be closing such threads.

Nevertheless, the evidence thst it is not taboo is in the fact that all those topics exist and have plenty of posts in them.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 04:53
Threads about the "Armenia/Turkey issue" have been closed for two reasons. Firstly as they usually end up in some kind of flame war between the two sides involved, or secondly, because there have been so many threads on this topic that there new threads simply regurgitate the old arguments. There are 34 threads with the word "Armenia" in the title in AE's archives, not all of them closed, and if you really have the desire to start all over again and maybe have something new to say, continue there. In the meantime, AE staff will close any new threads on the topic, unless there is an entirely new aspect of the conflict discussed.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 06:16
I both know about the other threads with Armenia mentioned in the title or in the body message and also am quite aware and familiar about the tendencies of these threads to derail when certain individuals seem to do their best to make the admin to close the thread. I understand that it would be both time consuming and difficult for admin to police each and every thread, but I would like to state that it is a pity that the statements and actions of isolated individuals should result in mass punishment of the rest. Isn't it possible to ban a specific provoking user from a specific thread (or is that on forum level)?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 09:57

Isn't it possible to ban a specific provoking user from a specific thread (or is that on forum level)?

I believe its on a forum level but i don't handle tech stuff like that.

Also, Armenica it is in my experience that trying to post an armenia/turkey/cyprus/etc. thread is like a ku klux klansman and a black panther juggling chainsaws, if they can pull it off everyone is impressed, but come on both of them have chainsaws.......

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 10:23

I find it hipocrite that some people are not allowed to talk about the fact  that hundrieds thousands of their countrymen were murdered only because there come others who start whineing about it

just my opinion

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 12:16
Originally posted by Mosquito

I find ithipocrite that some people are not allowed to talk about the fact thathundrieds thousands of their countrymen were murdered only because there come others who start whineing about it

just my opinion

In my opinion, you should read my posts more carefully.

I did not state that people are not allowed to talk about these issues. I fact there about two dozen threads open about the Armenian/Turkish relationship ( To use a neutral term, although I personally believe that said genocide on the Armenian people occured) where it can openly be discussed until it turns into another moronic flame war, as has happened so many times before. There is just no need to start more threads, all the arguments have been said and can be found by everyone who wants to inform him/herself on the issue.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 13:46
"Armenia", yes there are 34, but when you look at "Armenian Genocide" all of the threads are banned except like 2 or 3...
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 15:40

Well, let people open new threads about Armenia, if they feel that they have to talk about it. Bann troublemakers when they come, without caring if they are Armenians, Turks or others.

Altough i must admit that i understand administration of AE and realize that you guys are tired with this quarell.

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 03:20
This is far from the only forum where the Armenian Genocide is discussed and as I wrote earlier, I understand that people would like to derail the discussion and ultimately force admin to lock it. But I have to admit that the number of locked threads regarding Armenian Genocide or the Karabakh conflicts is significantly higher than other places (well, to be honest, I have yet not seen other forum lock such a thread due to the reasons given here).

Is it OK to open new threads in regard to these specific topics? Or will they be locked at once and that's it? I.e. no more talk about the Armenian Genocide and the Karabakh conflict in this forum, because it is exactly what has happened here.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 05:34
Let's face it, anyone who has observed the discussions on AE could write the script for any new thread:

The Armenians state that that a genocide on their people happened during and after WW1, the Turkish members deny that. Both sides dig up some info and some photos from pro-and contra website, and after a while the more passionate members on both sides begin to insult the other side. Neither side will convince the other, and the neutral members, whilst in their majority recognising the genocide, look on with either bewilderment or boredom. AE's staff will close the thread as soon as it turns into a flame war and warnings and bans will be handed out left, right and center.
What's the point to start all over again?

You have convinced most of the world, me certainly, that the genocide happened, and cannot expect any more.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 06:18

yea most if not all the threads about armenia is about that genocide, iam sure armenia has other historical events to discuss about other than the ottoman genocide.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 14:36
Not so much taboo as tedious.
Same lame flame wars every bloody time.
It seems that people don't come here so much as to debate events, as bang each over on the head with them.
Arrrgh!!"
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2006 at 14:47
Had there been something new to say, perhaps the threads would still have potential. Since its the same old blame game, which borderlines on political propaganda (from both sides), the threads have been a meeting ground for like minds. The Turko, Grecko, Amrenian, Balkan, Iranian, Chinese, American themes have been overwhelmingly popular for those who gravitate towards sharing certain ideological perspectives. Most of the time it ends up into flame wars. Since the agendas from various ethnicities rarely are in agreement, closing or heavily moderating certain threads has proven to be effective management. Even though its time consuming for mods.  
armenica View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 01:32
OK, as long as the argumentation has convinced one person, I think that the discussion has served its sole purpose, and at least I have nothing to say anymore

Then I think that we go forward and instead of ending in repeating  the history of the Armenian Genocide, look forward to present findings, update and events or discuss other aspects of the Armenian history were it's suited.

Cheers,

/Vahagn
 Post Reply Post Reply