Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Mysterious Nushu Script

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Mysterious Nushu Script
    Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 23:57

Nshu, literally translated as womens writing, is the only writing system exclusively used by women ever discovered in the world. It was used by women in Jiangyong County in Hunan province of southern China. Its relatively recent discovery in 1983 stunned the international academic world.

The question of when Nshu emerged is still one of considerable debate and there are many different views on it, attributing its origin to a whole range of period from pre-historic to early modern.

• Some, based on the date of the earliest Nshu artifact found, estimate that it originated in late Ming or early Qing Dynasty (early to mid 17th century).
  • Some point out the many similarities between Nshu characters and those found on the artifacts of the Yangshao culture of the New Stone Age and they therefore push its origin to the much earlier 200 B.C. after the Qin Emperor unified the Chinese writing system.
  • Some note that Nshu characters have some commonalities with the early Chinese oracle script Jiaguwen or shell bone script, hence it could have originated during the Shang Dynasty (1600 B.C.).
  • There are some who even argue that Nshu was actually the official writing system of the prehistoric Shun era (around 2000 B.C.) as both the structure and the strokes of the Nshu characters resemble those of the ancient writings found during that period.
  • Based on the observation of some unique cultural traditions and characteristics of the Jiangyong area (e.g. the architectural style, the rice-based agricultural culture, and the culture of avian totem) and the pictographic characteristics of Nshu, there are some scholars who assert that Nshu is a remnant of the ancient Yue culture, one that was peripheral to the Chinese proper Huaxia culture, yet predominant in southern China and northern Vietnam before the sinicization of these two areas.
  • Finally, some ethnoanthropologists link Nshu to the ancient Miao ethnic group in southwest China; the Miao used to have their own spoken language, but it has never been established whether they have their own writing system.

For more information on Nshu, go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nushu

Edited by flyingzone - 12-Nov-2006 at 14:08
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 20:47

You should edit this article a bit, from my screen the first line of second argument is overlapping with the second line.

flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 20:57

This is not an article. It's my own writing based on my own research from different sources, including Wikipedia.  The original "article" written by me is actually much longer, and it includes association of Nushu with lesbianism among "sworned sisters", a practice very common in that area.

The layout looks alright to me. Maybe it's your computer???

The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 22:24
Originally posted by flyingzone

This is not an article. It's my own writing based on my own research from different sources, including Wikipedia.  The original "article" written by me is actually much longer, and it includes association of Nushu with lesbianism among "sworned sisters", a practice very common in that area.

The layout looks alright to me. Maybe it's your computer???

its still overlapping. what font you used?the characters look bold and large. may be you should change them to normal font. then i shall see this problem is fixed.

Edited by The Charioteer
kalli_mori View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote kalli_mori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2010 at 19:07
Hi Flyingzone I am making a presentation for school about this incredible language of nu shu and I am amaze every time I find more and more people interested about this. I would like to see your entirely article because of course nobody specify the type of love or letters that these women wrote, but I am sure that from one extreme to the other nu shu was used, not only to express sadness or despair but love and desire. 
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2010 at 08:41
Flyingzone, unfortunately, is no longer active.  I believe he would be pleased if you were to add something from your presentation. 
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2011 at 21:37
Woman's writing system? that's pretty interesting~
sherry529 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sherry529 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2011 at 08:50
I'm very interested in Nushu, and have been for a while. I live in the US, though, so I don't know of a way to study it. Any ideas?

Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply