Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Execution of Converts Under Islamic Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Execution of Converts Under Islamic Law
    Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 11:49

For instance, in Pakistan, when a woman dennounces rape, she is automatically accused of adultery. This is a law that goes back to the times of Ul-Aq but that is still in effect. That means that when a woman dennounces a rapist, she is not just struggling against the many social prejudices that exist in such societies or even possible "vendettas" but she is struggling against the law: risking that, if she can't prove the rape, she will be condemned as adulterous and punished not with death but with long years of prision.

That is not true. Adultry and rape are two different crimes. For rape, it must be proved that

A man penetrated a woman without her consent knowing or being reckless to the fact that consent was in fact, not present.

Sexual Offences Act.

What you are talking about is in the 1980's when Zia attempted to change the law of evidence, and this came up. It was never and is not a part of Pakistani law.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 12:46
Shariah law is one thing and the local culture of a given country is totally another.  If cultural practices are promoted under the banner of Shariah, that doesn't make Shariah law inhumane or cruel.  Why put Islam and its laws on trial when people refuse to compromise their cultures in favor of adopting a complete "Islamic lifestyle"? 

I live in a country where there's probably more laws derived from Shariah than any other country (apart from Saudi Arabia), and no such thing has ever happened here (nor in Saudi Arabia), where a woman (or a man for that matter) was executed for being raped. 

Freedom is a universal value, but its definition is certainly not.  You cannot impose your definition of freedom on us, I'm sorry to say.  Adultery is a crime, and it should remain so.  I find it sad, though, that Shariah has made it difficult to punish an adulterer by requiring the testimonies of three eye-witnesses - something which is certainly impossible.  (Unless you're totally perverted, will you bring in four people to watch you having sex?)  I would have certainly liked for adulterers to be severely and easily punished.  I don't think anyone is free to disrupt the society they're living in. 

In any case, it is a democratic decision to criminalize adultery; the majority of Muslims perceive it to be.  So yes - the majority who "vote" for criminalizing it should have their will granted.

Local cultures should be preserved, you say, in the name of respected scientific domains (sociology and anthropology,) but blame everything you dislike and believe to be backward on Islam.  Prejudice, I call that.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 15:32
Originally posted by Mira

I live in a country where there's probably more laws derived from Shariah than any other country (apart from Saudi Arabia), and no such thing has ever happened here (nor in Saudi Arabia), where a woman (or a man for that matter) was executed for being raped.

Just curious, but what does Shariah law say about rape? You probably heard about that girl in Iran that was supposedly going to be executed or jailed for being raped (since technically she had sex before marriage). Isn't Shariah the same set of rules they have in Iran under their Islamic regime? If it is or it isn't, please explain.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 15:54
Survival of the fittest does not only apply to living organism. I can also be extended to ideologies. Islam had a lot Competition had it been a "tolerant" religion which would teach the follower to believe in whatever religion you want just be a good person it would have gone the way many religions in that area went it would have disappeared This was not planned but Islam lack of tolerance was one of the causes of its survival

So what you're probably saying is: Tolerance = Extinction.

What about buddhism? doesn't seem to be on the verge of extinction.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 00:00

Originally posted by Maju

Maybe in SA they are "soft" but elsewhere, like Nigeria or Afghanistan or... they aren't. And I couldn't care less about the umber wof witnesses (same as the Nigerian Sahria judges don't care either) but about the fact that the rights of people are under threat under such a law.

For instance, in Pakistan, when a woman dennounces rape, she is automatically accused of adultery. This is a law that goes back to the times of Ul-Aq but that is still in effect. That means that when a woman dennounces a rapist, she is not just struggling against the many social prejudices that exist in such societies or even possible "vendettas" but she is struggling against the law: risking that, if she can't prove the rape, she will be condemned as adulterous and punished not with death but with long years of prision.

How can this be defended?

Some may say that this is "the Law of God". I say that it has no other name than terrorism against women!

well i think people who are not following the law should be punished. and people applying the law wrongly should be punished as well.

if what you are saying about Pakistan and Nigeria is true then these judges must be captured and punished for abusing the law.

women raped is and should not be accused of adultery..

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 00:22

if what you are saying about Pakistan and Nigeria is true then these judges must be captured and punished for abusing the law.

If it was not rape it would obviously be adultry or fornication. If you make an accusation of rape, and its disproved then since sexual intercourse did take place by your own admission, then well it could well be adultry or fornication for both parties if such a crime exists as it does in many countries e.g United States.

This is something that is true of killing in self defence also, if it was not self defence, its murder.  Its a paradox law students the world over learn, and  its not something inherent to "Islamic" Law, if there is such a thing.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 00:38

yes sure if it wasnt rape case then its adultery, although proving a rape case my differ in islamic countries and the western ones.

as far as i know in the west a woman can get naked with a man and start kissing and touching and at the moment of the actual sex may accure , IF the woman said the magic word "No" and the man continued then its a "rape" case.

while i guess in our culture and courts , this story is not a rape case, since both the man and the woman knew that what they are doing( the nudity and the foreplay) will lead to sex.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 03:05

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Originally posted by Mira

Just curious, but what does Shariah law say about rape? You probably heard about that girl in Iran that was supposedly going to be executed or jailed for being raped (since technically she had sex before marriage). Isn't Shariah the same set of rules they have in Iran under their Islamic regime? If it is or it isn't, please explain.

Thank you for asking, ArmenianSurvival.  Many others would rely on their own fatwas to educate Muslims (and others) about Shariah.

Rape, in Islam, is not the same as adultery or fornication.  It falls under the classification of Hiraba.  According to the Shafe'i school of thought (which I belong to,) Hiraba means terrorizing people by cutting the road on passersby to instill fear in their hearts and steal their belongings by force.  The Maliki school of thought includes rape as a form of terrorizing people and taking something from them by force.

The punishment of Hiraba, which is derived from the root word Harb (meaning war) is mentioned in this Qur'anic verse:

"The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter." [5:33]

We did not have an article on Hiraba in our Criminal Law until 1993, when two men kidnapped and raped a woman in Abu Dhabi.  They were executed, and the new article on Hiraba was added to the Federal Criminal Law of the country.

In summary, the rapist is executed.  The victim is treated with dignity and honor, and above all, does not need witnesses to support her case against the perpetrator. 

al-Tirmidhi and Abu Daoud (Scholars of Hadith) narrate on the authority of Wael ibn Hujr and incident where a woman was raped in the days of the Prophet (peace be upon Him.)  The Prophet assembled the suspects and she identified the man who raped her.  The Prophet (peace be upon Him) ordered his execution by "stoning to death." 

Another incident I remember, but I cannot cite (because I forgot where I read it, sorry), is when during the reign of the Caliph Omar ibn al Khattab (rAa), a woman walked into the mosque during a congregational prayer with an infant in her hand and publicly announced that she was raped and that the child she was carrying was conceived after that incident.  The Caliph (rAa) ordered for the rapist to be found and executed.

As to your question regarding Shariah law in Iran; I do not know.  You may want to ask the Iranian members of the forum, they would know better.  In any case, Shariah laws are accessible for anyone and you can read for yourself.  Shariah shouldn't be put on trial if the countries claiming to be governed by it are practicing the opposite.  Blame the people not the religion.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 03:05

Pakistani courts have always held that if a the man knew or even suspected that the women was not consenting anymore, then its rape.

Its always a hard crime to prove anywhere in the world. The man just has to say, "consesual" and the onus shifts.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 03:26

Not really.

When I worked for Dubai Police last year, I witnessed cases where women claimed they were raped so that men were given the choice to either marry them or be punished.  All men opted for marriage.

I think it depends on the society and the culture.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 06:21
Originally posted by azimuth

Originally posted by Maju

Maybe in SA they are "soft" but elsewhere, like Nigeria or Afghanistan or... they aren't. And I couldn't care less about the umber wof witnesses (same as the Nigerian Sahria judges don't care either) but about the fact that the rights of people are under threat under such a law.

How can this be defended?

Some may say that this is "the Law of God". I say that it has no other name than terrorism against women!

well i think people who are not following the law should be punished. and people applying the law wrongly should be punished as well.

Sure but then we can go to the also central issue of wether the law is correct or it is not.

For instance, unnecessary interference in private lifes is obvioulsy a step-to-far regarding law. Whoever invented that law meant to interfere in the liberty of the people and cause them psychological and emotional damage.

women raped is and should not be accused of adultery..

It is true, as far as I know: Northern Nigerian Sharia is pretty much polemic, specially since the case of Amina Lawal (do you remember?) - though obviously the size of the country and the ethno-religious internal tensions help to make this issue more prominent. On the other hand we have little info about that same Sharia in countries like Niger, etc.

Same with Afghanistan, where US occupation makes these cases of religious persecution against converts particularly shocking (Weren't the marines there supposedly to rescue Afghans from Taliban obscurantism and fanaticism? How can they allow this now?)

In the case of Pakistan, that's somethig I just read the other day in the newspaper: that law is from the times of Zia Ul-Aq and hasn't been reverted. Women need to bring 4 or 5 witnesses to prove the rape (near impossible) and they risk prision for adultery (they don't stone them at least).

The Muslim World is plagued with Human Rights abuses, particularly against women, that are justified as applications of the Sharia.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 06:34
Originally posted by Sparten

If it was not rape it would obviously be adultry or fornication. If you make an accusation of rape, and its disproved then since sexual intercourse did take place by your own admission, then well it could well be adultry or fornication for both parties if such a crime exists as it does in many countries e.g United States.

There's no such "crime" in the USA... it may be in some of those ultra-conservative states of the Bible-Belt but not in the USA as a whole. In fact people probably has more sex-out-of-marriage in the USA than in almost any other place of the world.

In any case, you can't say that because the woman couldn't prove rape it was "fornication" or "adultery": it may have been rape anyhow but it can't be proven - much more likely, considering the absurd requirement of 4 witnesses (nothing less!) - normally rapes happen in dark hidden alleys not in the middle of the marketplace!

This law has no other purpose that to scare women and allow indiscriminate rape under the law. It is a terrorist law - you just can't defend it unless you don't mind to be the most hatable machoist of this forum!

This is something that is true of killing in self defence also, if it was not self defence, its murder.  Its a paradox law students the world over learn, and  its not something inherent to "Islamic" Law, if there is such a thing.

Not at all: first because it is not killing and then because it can also be manslaughter, in many grades.

Anyhow having sex consensually can't be made a crime. And also, making free sex a crime is used, at least in this case to favor rape.

This is a lwa to promote rape and violence against women. Nothing else.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 07:14

In the case of Pakistan, that's somethig I just read the other day in the newspaper: that law is from the times of Zia Ul-Aq and hasn't been reverted. Women need to bring 4 or 5 witnesses to prove the rape (near impossible) and they risk prision for adultery (they don't stone them at least).
Again, wrong. Bad form to get you information from the newspaper. The Pakistani law on rape is based on the Pakistan Penal Code 1948, sec 320, as well as the Sexual Offences Acts 1956, 63, 99, and obviously relevent case law. Again, the requirement for rape is for it to be proved beyond reasonable doubt that a man had sexual intercouse with a woman, knowing or suspecting (Satnam Singh case), that she was not consenting.

The "law" you and Mira posted are not laws at all, they were based upon white paper, which the government of Zia published in 1979. That was never passed  into law. And even if it had been it would never have been applicable, since under the Pakistan legal system, a law passed by parliamnet can only be changed by Parliament.

Not at all: first because it is not killing and then because it can also be manslaughter, in many grades.

Murder is the "unlawful killing of another with malice aforethought." This is Cokes classic defination and is thus applicable in almost all common law countries including the US,UK, India, Pakistan, Australia, Malaysia etc, etc.

Manslaugter is of two types, volountry and involuntry. The former is what we would call a murder, but has been reduced to manslaughter due to some mitigating factor, such as provocation. The latter is when the death resulted from actions of the accused, who could have known or at least forseen that death might result from his actions.

If you intended to kill someone, and you cannot prove that it was in self defence, then it is murder.

(How do you use the quote function here)

This is a lwa to promote rape and violence against women. Nothing else.
If it were a "lwa" or ever a law then yeah sure, it would be. But since its not the law, well then thats that.

Edited by Sparten
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 07:15
Of course Maju the Muslim worled is plagued with human rights abuses, but even you, who claim to be the "civilized world" and value human life have not stopped your violations of human rights - in the most perverted forms, too.
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 07:22

Sparten,

I have to agree with Maju on one thing.  Pakistan has a world-wide reputation for women right abuses; including rights granted by Islam.

What do you mean by asking the rapist whether he knew or suspected that his victim complied?  And what were you referring to by the "laws" I posted?

If you have an informed opinion to add, please share the sources as well.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 07:32

The fact that we have a bad reputation is Unfortunatly true. Strange, we have had women PM, Govenors, Govenors State Bank, High Court Judges and one Supreme Court Judge, Army Generals, ete, etc,etc. Lots of business leaders are women.

For your sources, best for the layman such as your self is.

http://www.pakistanlawyer.com

Its got most of the texts online. Whether and how they are applicable is of course a different question.

Edited by Sparten
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 08:05

Thank you for the link, I'm going through it right now.

Could you please tell me what you meant by the "laws" I posted "aren't laws"?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 08:59

Could you please tell me what you meant by the "laws" I posted "aren't laws"?

Just that. Besides , the preamble of the law read,

"(Any) law does not include the constitution, Muslim personal law, any law relating to the procedure of any court or tribunal or, until the expiration of three years, any fiscal law, or any law relating to the collection of taxes and fees or insurance practice and procedure."

Since the Pakistan Penal Code is enshrined in the Constitution, obviously rape would not be effected by the new provsions.

Edited by Sparten
Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2006 at 09:26

I have no idea what you're talking about, sorry.

In any case, I was commenting on your post regarding rape being a "hard crime to prove."

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 00:41

Mira i understand that you worked in Dubai Poilce, just wanted to ask , what is the punishment of Adultery in UAE? i never heard of stonning in UAE.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>