Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Village of Rome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Village of Rome
    Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 17:11
What was Rome like before it became a city, or in fact a republic? What set the stage to make it what we know it as today. Also, can you give me the birthday of Rome too?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 18:22
Rome was founded, according the legend, in 753 BC. Archaeological excavation reveals that at this time there was indeed a sizeable town constructed on the area, so the old myth may not be too far off.

It would have started out as separate communities established on a number of Rome's seven hills, the lowland area between them being marshy and not the best for habitation. Over time these communities would have joined together as a single entity. The marshlands were drained and the households on the seven hills would have agreed that cooperation was in everyone's best interests. Rome lay at in important position in the North-South route in Italy, an important bridge over the river Tiber was in the area so it was significant in trade and military terms.

Rome would basically have started out like any smalltime town. It was toyed with and dominated by other major players in the area like the Sabines and Etruscans before it grew to become significant enough in its own right to be independent. Shortly afterwards it had to assert itself in against a huge array of local enemies, leading to the strong militarisation of the state of Rome. The rest, as they say, is history.
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:03
Interesting, lets put the Etruscans and the Sabines into play here. I know some facts about the Etruscans, but i am not very sure about the Sabines. Can u give me some details about them?
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:10
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Interesting, lets put the Etruscans and the Sabines into play here. I know some facts about the Etruscans, but i am not very sure about the Sabines. Can u give me some details about them?

The Sabines were a neighbouring tribe. The legend goes that Rome's first King, Romulus, accepted into his newly founded city anyone who wanted to become a citizen. As a result alot of the lower members of society such as criminals, ex-slaves and the impoverished chose to join him in his city. However, because these men were so lowly born there was a major problem in finding wives for them. The Romans tricked the Sabines into going to sporting games while the Romans actually went to the Sabines' villages and stole their wives away. The Sabines and Romans were going to do battle, but the stolen wives intervened to prevent it. After that Rome had a number of Sabine Kings ruling over here.

Such is the legend. Real possibilities include that the Sabines established dominance over the Romans for a time, or that the Romans agreed to join with the Sabines in a union whereby the Romans were the junior partner (hence the number of Roman Kings who were actually from the Sabine tribes).
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:42
So the Romans had kings in the way way long ago? They did not call them emperors?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 22:43
Emperor meant "winner in fight". Romans became very reluctant of monarchy after Tarchinus Superbus (the Greedy), so the last they wanted were to have another king. Caesar was apparently offered the monarchical dignity but he chose to rule as dictator, which in those times didn't have the negative connotations it has now, being a traditional Roman emergency office.

Augustus chose as title that of Princeps (the first one), while the title of imperator was still being awarded to him as to other Roman leaders. Only later the "emperor" title became clearly synonim of the supreme dignity.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 02:47

Originally posted by Maju

Emperor meant "winner in fight".

Just curious to know where you have found this etymology

AFAIK "Imperator" derives from the verb "imperare" = to order, to command, and originally it had only a military, not political, meaning.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 04:00

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

The Sabines were a neighbouring tribe. The legend goes that Rome's first King, Romulus, accepted into his newly founded city anyone who wanted to become a citizen. As a result alot of the lower members of society such as criminals, ex-slaves and the impoverished chose to join him in his city. However, because these men were so lowly born there was a major problem in finding wives for them. The Romans tricked the Sabines into going to sporting games while the Romans actually went to the Sabines' villages and stole their wives away. The Sabines and Romans were going to do battle, but the stolen wives intervened to prevent it. After that Rome had a number of Sabine Kings ruling over here.

Such is the legend. Real possibilities include that the Sabines established dominance over the Romans for a time, or that the Romans agreed to join with the Sabines in a union whereby the Romans were the junior partner (hence the number of Roman Kings who were actually from the Sabine tribes).

Curiously the semilegendary episode of the Rape of the Sabines has inspired a lot of artists

Here a sample:

Luca Giordano:

Sodoma:

Nicolas Poussin:

Rubens:

David:

Giambologna:

Picasso:

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 04:02
Maju is pretty much correct. Imperator was a title awarded to a general who had achieved considerable victory. Although later under the Emperors Imperator was a title at times awarded to generals who had never actually fought but had simply done a good job of running their military prefacture as well. I think it was under Augustus, or possibly Tiberius, that two northern generals were awarded the title of Imperator for having only drained marshes and completed a canal between two important riverways, without ever having to engage in any serious battles.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2006 at 05:17
Originally posted by Leonardo

Originally posted by Maju

Emperor meant "winner in fight".

Just curious to know where you have found this etymology

AFAIK "Imperator" derives from the verb "imperare" = to order, to command, and originally it had only a military, not political, meaning.

I dind't intend to be ethymological just the meaning that Romans gave to the term before it became a monarchical title: it was an acclamation by the soldiers (and confirmed by the Senate) of this or that general being "imperator".

You are right that ethymologically means something else: roughly "commander".

Check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperator

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Boreas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Boreas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2006 at 02:53

em=circumference

per=head

or=word/order

Be good - or be gone.
 Post Reply Post Reply