Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what’s going on in the Netherlands??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what’s going on in the Netherlands??
    Posted: 16-Nov-2004 at 02:46
x

Edited by warlord - 05-Jun-2008 at 08:04
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 11:00

The biggest problem, i believe, is the guettoes (keep religion a private thing). In Portugal, there are no guettoes, and we have no such problems. We only hate gypsies.

BTW, about a week ago, I saw a BBC show about Muslims, integration, and Britain. One girl interviewed, who was wearing some sort of Burka, said "Why don't they assimilate to us?"

I felt like saying: "Because you are in England. If you want them to assimilate to you, tell them to go to Saudi Arabia"

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 15:41
I agree about the assimilation process, and it isn't racist. When you come to Europe, the least you can do is adapt and become part of the culture you have just moved into. It's NOT right to try to change the country's culture and values. That fact is why so many people do not like immigration in Europe. In Italy for example, there hasn't been much assimilation, and I'm happy the Italian government is taking decisive actions aginst immigrants. You come to Italy, you either become Italian, and be an asset to society, or go home. Home is the best place to practice your culture. Either home, or countries that are open to multiculturalism, like the UK, Canada, and USA. Those are the best places for immigrants who refuse to give up their culture.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 14:58

I can only speak for Germany andwhat i've observed is quite different, 4 of my co-workers are Turks, and I know that at least three of them did not celebrated Ramadana dn drink alcohol and 2 of them already speak Swabian dialect. I don#t know if it can get much more assimilated. but I live at the countryside, in larger towns the situation is quite different. there's also another difference, which is IMO more important, Germany has a long history of Turkish immigrants. while the first generation is not fully integrated, their children, the so called 2nd generation is completely German (with Turkish background) and there's no problem about them beign assimilated. so i think the only obstacle is time, nothing else...

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 14:33

This is bigger problem than anyone can expect. The muslim immigrants are now coming even to new EU countries and as well as in the old EU countries they are not going to assimilate with the local society, nor they are going to accept our european values.

As i come from Poland i was always tollerant toward muslim people and have never expected any trouble from them. For centuries we had muslim Tartar minority which didnt cause any problems, rendered good service in the armies of Commonwelath, were loyal, honest people who were avoididng conflicts, were assimilating, many of them were in reward accepted into ranks of nobelity.

But this what is now going in the western Europe is just unacceptable and cannot be tollerated. Non europeans who dont want to assimilate are only the guests, therefore must obey common rules, even if cant approve them.

They just cannot enslave their women in Europe and we cant tollerate their religious customs if they are against our traditions and law. If they dont want to accept our way of life, noone will try to stop them if they decide to go back home. Our society must defend itself against their agression.

Netherlands were always famous for freedom of speech. People there can critisice everything they want, including religions (including christianity) and it is dutch tradition.  If the muslims cant tolerate that someone is criticising islam and feel that those who do that must die, it means that there is no place for them in our countries and in our society.

I was always feeling that Turkey belongs to Europe and that should get its place in the EU. But now i have doubts. Maybe the religious and cultural abyss is to big.

I dont want to look like a fanatic or racist. I just belive that sheeps cant live together with wolves. We cant let them kill our artists when they find them guilty of violating their religious rights. There wouldnt be any problems if they didnt  migrate to Europe, but once they came here they must live in our way. We cant let them practice here their muslim life style.

Few months ago after French decided that muslim women cant wear their head gears i thought that it was stupid law against of all the rules of religious tolernace. Now after events in Netherlands i have completelly changed my mind. We cant let national and religious minorities to terrorise the rest of us. We even cant let them to terrorise their women (even if their women want to be terrorised). The choise must be simple, accept our values, integrate with us, live in peace with us or get out.

I dont want to offend any of our turkish members. I got in real life turkish friends and they are all far from being religious fanatics. They have their traditions and culture but in the same time they live in the european way. I like them and i respect them and their traditions and culture. But in the same time i know that in Turkey not all the people are like they. Not much time ago turkish girl was murdered in Istambul by her brothers what was earlier accepted by her whole family because family thought that their daughter brought them disgrace. I belive there is no place for such behaviour here in Europe.

Edited by Mosquito
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 11:20
Whoa, this is becoming more dangerous than I actually expected it to be. Poor Netherlands, such a great country renowned for tolerance, hard to believe it's going down like this. To all Dutchmen and all people living in the Netherlands - my condolences and I hope your country returns to peace.

It has already returned to peace. The last days no more incidents related to the murder on Van Gogh have occured.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 05:59
It's quite understandable though. People will get pissed when they allow foreigners in and these completely ignores the set of laws and rules that is present in the country. It doesn't matter that the vast majority of the immigrants are law-abiding people who only want to live in peace with their neighbours, it's sufficient that just a fraction don't. An alien vocal minority which do stuff like this will always be met with much lesser tolerance than a native one; that's the way people work, sadly.
This hasn't changed my views on the Dutch as one of the most tolerant peoples. First off it's only a small minority who has torched mosques etc, and secondly, imagine if a similar thing would have occured in a country like Saudi Arabia or similar. Keep things in perspective.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 01:12
living and learneing from multipple cultures is always mor benefical in the long run despite the hardships, the knowledge exchanged is what makes great nations.  You must react to the blows and wind up stonger for it.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 22:52
As we often say here in the States,  "Ah! the joys of living in a multi-cultural society... "

All first-world nations are such societies...   The fact that the Dutch are the ones to whom this is happening is purely bad luck, they drew the short straw .
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 19:52
Whoa, this is becoming more dangerous than I actually expected it to be. Poor Netherlands, such a great country renowned for tolerance, hard to believe it's going down like this. To all Dutchmen and all people living in the Netherlands - my condolences and I hope your country returns to peace.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 17:42

Nobody - and especially no country - is perfect.  We can't blame all Dutch for the actions of a few vandals and radicals - just as we can't blame all Muslims for the murder that precipitated the violence.  We can only hope that cooler heads will prevail.

As we often say here in the States,  "Ah! the joys of living in a multi-cultural society... "

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 16:28

i understand you,pal...

but i didnt expect such to happen in Holland..Also i heard that there is an anti-immigration trend in Holland...therefore my opinion of Holland has changed

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 16:18
Obviously, the actions of a handfull of Dutch people are represntative of all Dutch people, just like Osama is representative of all Muslims.

You know, its preciesly this mindset that causes this crap to happen.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 16:15

Van gogh was killed by a Moroccan.

But Holland really disoppointed me.The Dutch people were the most civilised,honest people in Europe for me before these events...,

But now i realised that they can be more fanatic under such circumstances without keeping it cool then even real fanatics...

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:42
Around 5-6% IIRC.
Or roughly 900,000.
Of which about 350,000 are Turkish, 300,000 are Moroccan, and the remainder everyone else (pretty much everyone fron Bosniaks, to the odd Bahrainian, and a few Dutch converts).

Hmm see here for more detail, thats only by country of origin though.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:36
bah, I wouldn't have been surprised to hear something like that from France, but not the netherlands. how big is the percentage of Muslims in the Dutch population? and what is the natinality of the majority of them? Turks?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 06:59
Are there active anti-muslim groups there? 

Numerous small factions have split off from the LPF and Leefbaar Rotterdam (Pim Fortuyn's parties). Some of them are rightwing extremist, most notable of them is Nieuw Rechts (New Right). I think those parties are the main anti-muslim groups.

Do they have much popular support?

Not officially. Some of these parties participated in the parliamentary elections (in 2003) but none of them received a seat in parliament.

How strong is the anti-uslim and/or anti-immigrant sentiment?

The "There's nothing wrong with foreigners as long as their stay in their own countries" sentiment is quite strong I think, but most people don't dare to say it.

Geert Wilders, an MP who split off from the Conservative Liberal VVD and started an own faction recently polled 18 (out of 150) seats. He is clearly anti-muslim, though not in a racist way.

vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 00:51

It's disheartening to see how quickly civilized society can decay into the devolution of the "eye for an eye" mentality.  Equally as demoralising that many otherwise good people can be so quickly led down the revenge path out of anger and frustration.  Once that cycle starts, communication ends and is so very hard to re-establish.

Tobodei - I agree that the murder was a barbarous and unconscionable act - but can we condemn all religious people for the senseless violence of the few?  I condemn equally those who have committed acts of violence in retaliation against an entire community, thus creating more fear and distrust.

MT - please keep us posted on the events there - mainline US news sources carry very little international news.  Are there active anti-muslim groups there?  Do they have much popular support?  How strong is the anti-uslim and/or anti-immigrant sentiment?

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 23:16
oh yes we do, we need a great cleansing of religions, all of them...but not yet, I am not yet ready to assume the mantle of my destiny.....
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 21:43
Woa.. you guys have to stop it before it gets out of hand!  We don't need this kind of thing in the heart of western civilization!
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>