Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Biggest Empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biggest Empires
    Posted: 24-Feb-2005 at 20:29

as far as i know it didnt go that far to the north

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 06:17

i got this map and other maps similar to this style from some web site which i forgot which one

i dont know how accurate that is

any way it shows how big was the Persian empire at 518 BC

Edited by azimuth
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 06:25

these two maps shows the Empire of Alexander and the main Battels and the main Alexanderia's he founded and the ruote he used

and the secound map shows the new Empires after his death

it shows that Alexander's Empire was not that large compared to the Persians 200 years before

and also shows how  fast India got its land back and took some more too

intersting thing to me is to know that Cassander didnt has that much of area as the others, i always thought that he was the most powerfull after Ptolmey

Edited by azimuth
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 07:00

Originally posted by ramin

Originally posted by azimuth

what about the Abbasids Caliphate? , they were larger than the Macedonian

That map of Abbasid Caliphate didn't last more than 16 years, so i don't think we can consider them in the largest empires.

it lasted way more than 12 years and why you dont think that it can not be consicered as one of the largest empires ?

the mecedonian Empire didnt last that long too and it is considered as one of the largest empire

i would say 95% of the land  of Alexander's Empire was under the Persians , so the persians did the Great acheivement and all alexander did is to beat them ( which is great too ) and changed the name from Persian to Macedonian Empire

Edited by azimuth
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 10:06

"intersting thing to me is to know that Cassander didnt has that much of area as the others, i always thought that he was the most powerfull after Ptolmey"

Ptolemy isn't the most powerful, Antigonus was until his defeat. Territory alone is irrelevant. Cassander had a very powerful army behind him, and that makes him one of the strongest of the states.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2005 at 13:12
That is the map of the Persian Empire not the Iranian Empire, north of the Caspian sea and part of the Europe were also in the hands of other Iranian peoples such as Scythians and Sarmatians.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 02:54

then you should call that Iranian Empires not Iranian Empire

because they didnt have one King to rule all that part

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 13:03

i got this map and other maps similar to this style from some web site which i forgot which one

i dont know how accurate that is

any way it shows how big was the Persian empire at 518 BC

this is a much more accurate map of "Persian Empire" than the one posted before.

it lasted way more than 12 years
well... I said 16 years! and maybe up to 20 -- not sure cuz I don't have much interest in their history.

and why you dont think that it can not be consicered as one of the largest empires ?

the mecedonian Empire didnt last that long too and it is considered as one of the largest empire

not only Abbasid Caliphate didn't last long, also since its beginning there were rebellions all over the caliphate, esp in Iran. Abbasid Caliphs didn't taste much of peace in their short life.

i would say 95% of the land  of Alexander's Empire was under the Persians , so the persians did the Great acheivement and all alexander did is to beat them ( which is great too ) and changed the name from Persian to Macedonian Empire

true, that is pretty much correct, and remember Alexander fought only 4 battles to defeat Persian (Achaemenid) Empire; last one was in Gaugamela east of Babylon. So,  technically he didn't face Persians in more than 60% of the lands. 

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 13:04
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

That is the map of the Persian Empire not the Iranian Empire, north of the Caspian sea and part of the Europe were also in the hands of other Iranian peoples such as Scythians and Sarmatians.

there's no such thing as Iranian Empire. Schythians never accepted rule of Achamenid kings. the map of yours includes Scythians, therefore it must be a map of Iranian domination, BUT if we consider that map as Iranian domination, then what Egypt and Greece are doing in there?! That map is just like one of Herodotus's stories!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 21:51

well... I said 16 years! and maybe up to 20 -- not sure cuz I don't have much interest in their history.

the correct number will be more than 100 years and that way much longer than the Macedonian

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 15:24

the correct number will be more than 100 years and that way much longer than the Macedonian
I thought we were talking about the biggest empires and that map of Abbasid Chaliphate.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 17:47

I thought we were talking about the biggest empires and that map of Abbasid Chaliphate.

yes we are

and that map of the Abbasid caliphate was at the time of Harun alrashid and the Abbasid caliphate was one of the biggest empires and was larger than the macedonian empire for  more than 100 years

after that their size decreased and stayed for more than 300 years decreasing untill their end when they only controled what is now iraq

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 07:58

Maybe the portuguese empire has been the most perdurable on worlds history. Portuguese ruled over significant territories in Africa, South America and Asia since 15 th century until the last decades of 20 th century, despite the severe concurrence of other colonial powers. When portuguese started its expansion, most of european countries still circumscribed to to medieval conceptions of the world.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2005 at 21:28

The Mongols had the Greatest Land-Area Empire on Earth.  Period.  It's a fact.  I believe that is what the owner of this thread was asking for.

Hardel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hardel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2005 at 05:07
I don't  know very well.May be British empire has largest land.But north and northeast borders of Mongol empire unsure.
Hardel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hardel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2005 at 18:45
Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Bah, the Mongols. Successful only for a time, and then disappeared from history. At least the British Empire continued to thrive, and the British continued to prosper, bringing so much of the world to its knees, and making her neighbors shake their legs. Comparing the British Empire to the Mongol Empire, in terms of power, influence, wealth, and culture, definately the British Empire is better!

All neighbours of Mongol empire feared from it.Did Pruss,France,Russian afraid from Brits?

Edited by Hardel
Kouros View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Kouros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 12:39
i would definetly say the persian acheameniad empire of the 5th century B.C although it was not the world's largest empire it proved its worth through glory and riches, the old persian way.
& i agree with ramin!
Iran:?!]Iran
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Mar-2005 at 13:45

There has never been a very large Mongol empire, as far as I know Ilkhanid Mongols fought several times against Chagatai Mongols and there were certainly many other battles between other mongol khanates.

Hardel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Hardel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 06:14
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

There has never been a very large Mongol empire, as far as I know Ilkhanid Mongols fought several times against Chagatai Mongols and there were certainly many other battles between other mongol khanates.

Yes.Ilkhanates fought many times against Chagatai Mongols and Golden Horde.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 09:46

Originally posted by Hardel

Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Bah, the Mongols. Successful only for a time, and then disappeared from history. At least the British Empire continued to thrive, and the British continued to prosper, bringing so much of the world to its knees, and making her neighbors shake their legs. Comparing the British Empire to the Mongol Empire, in terms of power, influence, wealth, and culture, definately the British Empire is better!

All neighbours of Mongol empire feared from it.Did Pruss,France,Russian afraid from Brits?

Actually many times it did. And after the mongols were your neighbours, there was nobody in those neighbouring lands to fear, only the Russians made a longer stand against the mongols.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>