Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Biggest Empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biggest Empires
    Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 21:51
What were the biggest empires in ancient history and medieval times before the invention of the handheld gun (so cannons are allowed)?  I'm really interested and all I know is that the largest was the Mongolian Empire.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 22:21
The Arabian Caliphate, the Roman Empire, Alexander the Great's Empire, Persia.

Han China was also the size of the Roman Empire.  I'm not ver familiar with Indian history though...
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 08:42
Originally posted by Sleeker

the Mongolian Empire.

When the Mongolian Empire was at its largest it had already fallen apart in different states, therefore it's not one empire. The biggest Empire ever was the British Empire (in 1923). The British empire occupied 25% of world territory.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 12:28

no, not yet, durign Mngke Qa'ans rule it was basically as large as it was after the fragmentation, or in other words: it was still the largest.

btw: post-gunpowder empires are ruled out.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 03:00
the Mongolian Empire.
Grrr..
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 11:51

"When the Mongolian Empire was at its largest it had already fallen apart in different states, therefore it's not one empire. The biggest Empire ever was the British Empire (in 1923). The British empire occupied 25% of world territory."

He said before the invention of the handgun, which does not include British.

"no, not yet, durign Mngke Qa'ans rule it was basically as large as it was after the fragmentation, or in other words: it was still the largest."

With the exception it did not have Song China which had near 700,000 sq miles of territory.

In size order in approximation(including all effective subjects of the empire):

1) Mongol empire:  9.3 million sq mile

2) Tang empire: 4.8 million sq mile

3) Tujue empire: 4 million sq mile

4) Umayyad Caliph: 3.5 million sq mile

5) Xiongnu empire: 2.4 million sq mile

6) Roman empire: 2.4 million sq mile

7) Achmenid empire: 2.3 million sq mile

8) Macedonian Empire: 2.2 million sq mile

9) Xianbei empire: 1.9 million sq mile

10) Seljuk Empire: 1.8 million sq mile

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 12:48
What about the Brits eh?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:12
for Brits just take world sq km and divide by 4.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:50
Mongols still kick British ass anywho!!!!!!!!!!! A united land empire is something else than hundreds of colonies around the world.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:53
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Mongols still kick British ass anywho!!!!!!!!!!! A united land empire is something else than hundreds of colonies around the world.

On the other hand, if you add the amount of sea controlled by the Brits they kick more ass than the Mongols .
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 13:58

"What about the Brits eh? "

As already said, if you read the title, its before the invention of handgun, which does not include the British.

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 14:12
yea...didn't see that
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 14:12

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

On the other hand, if you add the amount of sea controlled by the Brits they kick more ass than the Mongols .

in that case it's the Polynesians: new zeeland, easter islands, hawaii pre 1500...that'S just amazing...

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 14:52

"On the other hand, if you add the amount of sea controlled by the Brits they kick more ass than the Mongols "

The sea isn't controlled by the British in the sense of a possession, or else the United States own most of the world and would kick both the British and the Mongol ass.

Also its quite pointless to judge by sheer size alone, we should judge the percentage of the territory dominated by the conquer in comparison to the rest of the POLITICALLY dominated world. Thus, Australia, Antarctica, Much of South America, western United States, Most of Canada, parts of Africa, parts of southern india, east indies, and large parts of present day east Russia are still either uninhabited or hunter gather society inhabited by savages or semi nomadic savages that does not have a state or political boundary in the 13th century, (these territory makes up over a quarter of the globe's surface) we should exclude these in calculating the total share of the world's territory. In this case, the mongols had over a quarter of the world's land. More than the British.

Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 20:11
Bah, the Mongols. Successful only for a time, and then disappeared from history. At least the British Empire continued to thrive, and the British continued to prosper, bringing so much of the world to its knees, and making her neighbors shake their legs. Comparing the British Empire to the Mongol Empire, in terms of power, influence, wealth, and culture, definately the British Empire is better!

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
faram View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote faram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 04:26
Hey! stop talking about the Brits, they don't count in this thread.
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 14:49

Originally posted by faram

Hey! stop talking about the Brits, they don't count in this thread.

Why not?

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2004 at 15:02

What were the biggest empires in ancient history and medieval times before the invention of the handheld gun (so cannons are allowed)?  I'm really interested and all I know is that the largest was the Mongolian Empire.
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 05:51

Originally posted by Temujin

Ah, thanks. Then in that case, I want to go for the Roman Empire. It wasn't the largest, but it was definately a massive empire.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2004 at 03:45
And what about with Mayan Empire? )
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>