Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roman nose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman nose
    Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 00:34

Is the roman nose really roman?

I was thinking about that aspect of the anatomy, Roman nose is found very frequently in France (a land overwhemingly celts with little roman ancestry) and nothern Italy (an area of historically celts). Then, i came across that ancient statue of a celt featuring a gaul warrior, guess what? the warrior has a roman nose. Roman nose is not a rarity in Ireland also, take Bono for example. So is roman nose really roman? I believe since celt women were more beautiful than roman women, the leaders of Italy tended to marry those women so their descendents tend to have roman nose (which is in fact celtic nose). Roman nose is very typical and look like the beak of an eagle not to confuse with the enormous Jewish nose.

Celtic Nose historian misleadingly label as roman nose

A famous Irishman

Stephane de Luze

Your average northern French. Typical roman nose.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 00:47

I believe since celt women were more beautiful than roman women,
Thats kind of hard to compare, later on alot of celts were consider Roman after being conquered and probably intermingled.

The Celts of France, how strong is the bloodline in France from them? The Guals from what I heard were basicly wiped out, though don't quote me on that. The Franks and other Germanic tribes came in and settled as the new population. Though I doubt the Guals were completely destroyed, the Germanic Tribes must be the dominate bloodline now, atleast that's my guess.

All I can guess it maybe Roman art created the name for it as Romans were more about showing true features in their statues and busts where as the Greeks liked to make a more beautiful image in their art over realism. Thats my guess anyways.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 01:15
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I believe since celt women were more beautiful than roman women,
Thats kind of hard to compare, later on alot of celts were consider Roman after being conquered and probably intermingled.

The Celts of France, how strong is the bloodline in France from them? The Guals from what I heard were basicly wiped out, though don't quote me on that. The Franks and other Germanic tribes came in and settled as the new population. Though I doubt the Guals were completely destroyed, the Germanic Tribes must be the dominate bloodline now, atleast that's my guess.

All I can guess it maybe Roman art created the name for it as Romans were more about showing true features in their statues and busts where as the Greeks liked to make a more beautiful image in their art over realism. Thats my guess anyways.

Wipe out? Far from that. Many of celtic nations of the south allied with the Romans. Many died but the France remained overwhelmingly Gallic (France had around 4 million celts at the time about 1 million was estimated killed and sent to slavery). 

The Franks were in a majority only in areas like Ile-de-France and eastward and northward but areas like normandy were always celts inhabited by the belgica Gauls and aremoricans and later a small scandinavian minority settled there giving the place it's name. In truth the orignal french is truly a Francilian (inhabitant of ile-de-France). It was later that french became applied to everyone else.  Not a lot of romans moved  into France only the armies mostly and a few immigrants but mostly Gaul remained celt. The connaught haplotype (associated with celtic people) occur in 45% of the population, the rest include Germanic haplotype that occurs fairly frequently in the north and sardinian in the south. Foreigners like arabs are excluded because they are not french.

French language may be a latin-Frankish hybrid but her people is celt.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 03:53
First time I read about "Roman nose" 

What's special with those noses: one is hooked and the other straight - they are totally different.

I had read about "Gothic noses", "Greek noses", "Jewish noses" and "Cleopatra's nose" but "Roman nose"? Never.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 04:06
Well, its difficult to really think that there could be a "Celtic nose" since Celts were not an ethnic or racial group, and varied quite widely in appearance, from swarthy and dark-haired (in Spain) to pale and light haired (in Ireland).

It could be that the Gauls of France and the group known as the Cisalpine and Transalpine Gauls were somehow related. The Romans seemed to think they were, and many of the Cisalpine Gauls, in particular, became very very "Roman" - it is speculated a number of famous Romans may have actually been Cisalpine Gauls, Cisalpine Gallia being the Gauls in Italy, in the Po River Valley.

Another interesting thing is that the Romans never referred to the inhabitants of the British Isles as Celts.

Edited by edgewaters
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 07:01

Roman Nose

this is Roman Nose  or Woo Ka Nay (1830 - 1868) chief of the Imowe Yukis a Cheyenne tribe.

Edited by ulrich von hutten

Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 07:26
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

... not to confuse with the enormous Jewish nose.

<sigh> its true.

Although many other semites seem to share this trait, too... for instance, good ole' Yasser:

or if you prefer, in worse taste:

i once heard a ridiculous theory that the massive semitic nose is an evolutionnary adaptation that sheilded the proto-semitic face from intense mediterranean sunshine.       personally, i think we just have big noses.

Edited by Halevi
"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 08:15
But what's supposed to be a "Roman nose"?

Apart of that Cheyenne chief, I've only found that it is supposed to mean a hooked nose or a nose with a high bridge. In which case, Bono doesn't seem to have it: his nose is too straight - it's not hooked.

Would GWB's nose be considered a Roman nose? It's hooked but it's maybe too small.

This concept is truly new to me and has me puzzled.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 09:30
Foreigners like arabs are excluded because they are not french.

Hmm, are you talking about the recent immigrants to France? If so then i am dissapointed with this racist remark. Many 1st and 2nd Generations of these immigrants considers themselves to be French, and are proud of it.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 09:47

Mario has a Roman nose

I have heard the term before.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 14:40

From what I understand, it's the bump in the bridge of the nose. I don't know a better word for it, but I think you might understand.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 17:58

Bono nose is roman but not entirely. That cheyenne chef nose is not really roman and I can't really find the term to describe why because I don't know that much about nasal anatomy. But the two nose is close enough.

Paul Gauguin (Her mother was peruvian his nose is like mixed roman and indian)

amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 21:19

Originally posted by Maju

What's special with those noses: one is hooked and the other straight - they are totally different.

I had read about "Gothic noses", "Greek noses", "Jewish noses" and "Cleopatra's nose" but "Roman nose"? Never.

How strange, Roman Nose is one I have come across before,(its quite famous, think Julius Cesar), but few of the other ones you mention.(Jewish and old Cleo's, I do know, both apparently huge)

I guess different countries have differing stereotypes.

Now, I am really curious what the "Greek nose" is like?

(I guess straight like George Michael)

Edited by amir khan
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2006 at 21:22

Mario has a Roman nose

I have heard the term before.

Why does Mario have a Roman nose? I dont see a Roman nose, its just that the mustache makes the nose look big thats all!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 00:31
Originally posted by amir khan

How strange, Roman Nose is one I have come across before,(its quite famous, think Julius Cesar), but few of the other ones you mention.(Jewish and old Cleo's, I do know, both apparently huge)

I guess different countries have differing stereotypes.

Now, I am really curious what the "Greek nose" is like?

(I guess straight like George Michael)

Caesar's nose seems a normal nose to me - if there's such thing as a "normal nose".

Greek nose is straight, right. Most importantly it has no depression at the root, like most western (Basque?) noses do.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 02:45

[QUOTE=amir khan]

Greek nose is straight, right. Most importantly it has no depression at the root, like most western (Basque?) noses do.

Cheers.

Now I remember I've seen that slope from forehead to nose tip many times on classical pieces.

(when I googled Greek nose before, it came up with "Brit bites off greeks nose without reason")

http://www.shortnews.com/shownews.cfm?id=32729&CFID=1550 0599&CFTOKEN=25264397

Edited by amir khan
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 03:10

This is a pictorial repersentation of a roman nose

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Roman%20nose

I think the English actor of Jewish decent, Stephen Fry, has a perfect example of this.

Is he Roman?

Edited by amir khan
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Mar-2006 at 09:50
Originally posted by amir khan

This is a pictorial repersentation of a roman nose

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Roman%20nose

I think it's a Western nose: 4 shape, with depression at the root, possibly hooked...

Maybe "Roman" means just Western European...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2006 at 06:08

The Greek nose, which forms a straight line from base to tip, is considered the perfect nose. It indicates a gentle, peaceable nature, with a love of the beautiful--of the arts and of home. The Greek nose does not belong to the most forcible type of womanhood, but Greek-nosed women rarely are quarrelsome, and with a good, moderately large mouth, a Greek-nosed woman will usually prove a treasure.

The Muse of Cortona, Polymnia

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Praetorian View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Praetorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 01:13

My God , looks like me and my Dad's nose!   Well some people say it looks Roman or German ...     But I think it can be western Europeans nose (well maybe even Russians as well) or central Europeans like Germany, Italy& Sicily and mabe even France. 

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
--If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

"game over!! man game over!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>