Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What to do with european kings and queens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What to do with european kings and queens
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [13.64%]
4 [18.18%]
4 [18.18%]
1 [4.55%]
10 [45.45%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do with european kings and queens
    Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 18:45
I was always wondering why some european nations are tollerating those almost useless parasites. Their constitutional duties can be easilly handled by the elective head of the state. Not saying about the fact that existance of such people is against equality because since their birth they are over others.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 18:56
I completely agree with you. In the Netherlands we have a monarchy, and I don't see the use of it. It costs an awful lot of money (Queen Beatrix is the wealthiest woman of Europe, so why should we still spend money on here). Some people say "It doesn't matter, there role is very small anyway", but monarchy simply doesn't belong in a democracy. Plus they do have many privileges. Of course they get the money, but there are several other examples of the royal house abusing there power. Like princess Mxima, the wife of our Crown Prince. She got the Dutch nationality after 2 years, while people aren't allowed to get the Dutch nationality until they live at least 5 years here. And when she crashed with her car on someone else's car (the other person was injured) immediately there came security people who removed the license plate from her car. The crash came known anyway, but in a lawsuit she wasn't found guilty because the lane out of the Palace was no privare road (so the other driver should have given her priority). In reality members of the royal house are allowed to use it, so it clearly is one.
But the most importatnt reason to ret rid of them is: They're snobby, arrogant and annoying individuals.
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 19:15
maybe we should eat them...

I'm quite happy with Queen Lizzie being the Queen, I'm just a traditionalist kind of guy...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 22:48
definately make them more productive by sending them to the mines
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 02:47
Make them work in mines.
In fact, make all jewelery snobs work in the Gold mines of S. Africa, but especialy roayalty.
Arrrgh!!"
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 03:01
        don't send them over here...the last thing we need is a bunch of royals who can't even speak proper english... ...
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 05:18
Off with their heads!!!
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 05:31
God save the King!
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 10:17

To the Guillotine.

Nah actually I support the idea of a monarchy, although I do agree they don't belong in a democracy.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 12:51
same with janus but talking about an elective non-hereditary monarchy if anything...
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 13:33

Originally posted by John Doe

I'm quite happy with Queen Lizzie being the Queen, I'm just a traditionalist kind of guy...

Are the Australians paying taxes for british queen or only the Brits pay for queen, her family, her court and her palaces?

Edited by Mosquito
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 14:08
Originally posted by Mosquito

Originally posted by John Doe

Are the Australians paying taxes for british queen or only the Brits pay for queen, her family, her court and her palaces?

The Brits pay for it, the Auzzies get it for free and complain, AND get to call us whinging poms. This is the sacred bond that holds the commomwealth together.
Arrrgh!!"
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 14:34

Dont you think that in the future United Europe (if there ever will be somthing like that, i think the chance that all the members will accept current project of constitutional treaty is very low) all the titles should be abolished? That those kings and queens should live for their monay (they wont be even forced to work because collected enough capital even for future generations) and that they should be treated in the same way as any other european citisen?

In my opinion monarchy is nothing more but relic of feudalism and in our times it is just an anachronism. Maybe im biased because im coming from the country where most of kings were elective and didnt enjoy much respect from their subjects (who were even refusing to call themselves subjcets and prefered word "citisen") but i dont think im so far from the viev's of majority of Europeans.

Is there anyone who belive that is worse than for example king of Spain or queen of England or Holland because he is not noble born? Is there such who think that some people should be more privilaged than others only because were born in the so called royal famillies? Or even that whole society should pay for them because they are so cool bastards or legitimate children of Lady D?

Edited by Mosquito
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 17:16

Most British Prime Ministers are very pro keeping the Queen. This is because at the moment when Tony Blair visits Holland he has to meet the Dutch PM but not the Dutch queen, that's our queens job. However when the French President vists the UK he must visit both Tony Blair and the Queen spending a few booring hour in Buck Palace sipping tea and discussing the weather.

So keeping the Queen is a good thing, if only for the fact it will annoy the French and Americans.

Former Labour leader Neil Kinnock came up with a perfect solution. A National Queen Lotrtery. We boot out Frau Windsor, Zorba, Charlie and co and each week put the name of all old age pensioners in the country into a barrel and draw out one name. That person becomes king or queen for a week!

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 20:59
Monarchy is the absolute worst form of government ever conceive by man, and the mere fact that it exists as a taxpayer leeching waste and nothing more should not excuse its existence.
-Alexander Hamilton
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 21:45
Well, the Bulgarian King Simeon II is the Prime Minister at the moment... he was democratically elected (well the party he founded was)...

They tried to make a rule saying he couldn't run for President, he just found a loophole .

Can't say he is living up to his promises though...

By the way, I disagree with you Tobodai.  Yes, democracy is good, but in a sense, with the system of checks and balances which different factions of the people create, it is very difficult to move forward in some areas.  In a Constitutional Monarchy, that isn't the case...
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 23:17

I would prefer anything over monarchy, communism, a dictator, anarchy, the system nomatter how balanced of  someone being fit to rule based on their bloodline may be natural for many people but its sooooo stupid and nepotistic, and your garunteed to get many incapable rulers for each good one.

-Alexander Hamilton
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 23:34
Originally posted by Tobodai

I would prefer anything over monarchy, communism, a dictator, anarchy, the system nomatter how balanced of  someone being fit to rule based on their bloodline may be natural for many people but its sooooo stupid and nepotistic, and your garunteed to get many incapable rulers for each good one.

In a monarchy which is not well thought-out.  The fact that the crown is guaranteed to a known person makes it very easy to train and educate the person who will become the king or queen.  So, instead of having the two questions, who governs, and to what ends, you have the one question to deal, to what ends.  You can focus the your resources there...

In fact, the one major flaw in Democracy is that Humans as pack-animals are less than rational.  So they will vote someone in office who is less than suitable for the job.  Which is your argument against Monarchy.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 00:03

Heres some ideas about what to do with the monarchy:

Click to view full-sized image

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 12:27
Originally posted by Tobodai

I would prefer anything over monarchy, communism, a dictator, anarchy, the system nomatter how balanced of someone being fit to rule based on their bloodline may be natural for many people but its sooooo stupid and nepotistic, and your garunteed to get many incapable rulers for each good one.

A dictatorship is a monarchy by definition. Don't confuse monarchy with absolute heriditary monarchy, something many in this thread seem to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>