Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest quotes of history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest quotes of history
    Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 09:54
Originally posted by Subotai

One not very lovely, but...

"A single death is a tragedy, a million death is just a statistic"

J.Stalin

I've seen this sentence in some german text of 1929, attributed to french diplomats. is there a primary source for stalin saying this?

One of my favourites is "you really can't eat as much as you want to throw up" by Max Liebermann, watching the nazi parades after their rise to power.

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 09:56

And of course "I'll be back", T-800 Model 101

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 10:13
Allah is on our side. That is why we will beat the aggressor.
Sadam Hussein

Remember the valiant Iraqi peasant and how he shot down an American Apache with an old weapon.
Sadam Hussein

We are not intimidated by the size of the armies, or the type of hardware the US has brought.
Sadam Hussein

We are ready to sacrifice our souls, our children and our families so as not to give up Iraq. We say this so no one will think that America is capable of breaking the will of the Iraqis with its weapons.
Sadam Hussein

Moustafa Pasha View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Moustafa Pasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 10:28

Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state.They forget that the state wants to live at the expenxe of everyone.

Frederic Bastiat

Russians can give you arms,but only the United States can give you a solution.

Anwar Sadat

Edited by Moustafa Pasha
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 10:37
Anyone who sees and paints a sky green and fields blue ought to be sterilized.
Adolf Hitler

Chamberlain seemed such a nice old gentleman that I thought I would give him my autograph.
Adolf Hitler

Generals think war should be waged like the tourneys of the Middle Ages. I have no use for knights; I need revolutionaries.
Adolf Hitler

How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.
Adolf Hitler

Strength lies not in defence but in attack.
 Adolf Hitler

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 10:41
Success is the sole earthly judge of right and wrong.
Adolf Hitler

The broad masses of a population are more amenable to the appeal of rhetoric than to any other force.
Adolf Hitler

The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one.
Adolf Hitler

The great strength of the totalitarian state is that it forces those who fear it to imitate it.
Adolf Hitler

The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to one category.
Adolf Hitler

The sportive, knightly battle awakens the best human characteristics. It doesn't separate, but unites the combatants in understanding and respect. He also helps to connect the countries in the spirit of peace. That's why the Olympic Flame should never die.
Adolf Hitler

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 10:44
The victor will never be asked if he told the truth.
Adolf Hitler

There is a road to freedom. Its milestones are Obedience, Endeavor, Honesty, Order, Cleanliness, Sobriety, Truthfulness, Sacrifice, and love of the Fatherland.
Adolf Hitler

Universal education is the most corroding and disintegrating poison that liberalism has ever invented for its own destruction.
Adolf Hitler

What good fortune for governments that the people do not think.
Adolf Hitler

What luck for rulers, that men do not think.
Adolf Hitler

When an opponent declares, "I will not come over to your side," I calmly say, "Your child belongs to us already... What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing else but this new community."
Adolf Hitler

Who says I am not under the special protection of God?
Adolf Hitler

Words build bridges into unexplored regions.
Adolf Hitler

Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 12:45

Hitler about the soviets:

"We only need to kick the door and the whole rotten house will colapse"

Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 12:50
Originally posted by yan.

I've seen this sentence in some german text of 1929, attributed to french diplomats. is there a primary source for stalin saying this?

I dont know, it is possible someone to  had said that before him, but it was Stalin who made that phrase famous
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 12:51

"It's not who votes, it's who counts the votes. "

J.Stalin

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 05:39

"Democracy is too important to leave to chance". (Diebold, manufacturer of voting machines).

Or, from history:

The Earl of Sandwich: "Egad sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox."

John Wilkes: "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

(That's right, that Earl of Sandwich.)

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me."

Duke of Wellington of his troops in the Peninsula. Less famously perhaps, when someone commented to him how well the French cavalry had come up at Waterloo, he replied: "Yes, and they went down very well too."

Then there's

"I do not say they will not come. I only say they will not come by sea." Admiral St Vincent on the chances of Napoleon invading Britain.

And we must have something from Churchill, surely:

'When I warned them' [the French] 'that Britain would fight on alone whatever they did, their generals told their Prime Minister and his divided Cabinet, "In three weeks England will have her neck wrung like a chicken." Some chicken! Some neck!' - speech to Canadian Parliament December 1941.

Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
Churchill: Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.

Nancy Astor: Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.
Churchill: If I were your husband I would take it.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 06:57
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory." - General George S. Patton

"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood." -General George S. Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." -General George S. Patton

"
Don't forget, you men don't know that I'm here. No mention of that fact is to be made in any letters. The world is not supposed to know what the hell happened to me. I'm not supposed to be commanding this Army. I'm not even supposed to be here in England. Let the first bastards to find out be the Goddamned Germans. Some day I want to see them raise up on their piss-soaked hind legs and howl, "Jesus Christ, it's the Goddamned Third Army again and that son-of-a-f*cking-b*tch Patton".- General George S. Patton

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 08:27
Originally posted by Subotai

Hitler about the soviets:

"We only need to kick the door and the whole rotten house will colapse"

His arrogance was his doom...

Edited by barish
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 11:43
Some lesser known quotes by Churchill (prior to the war):

"I do not understand this squeamishness about the use of gas ... I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes."

"The fact that in many cases Jewish interests and Jewish places of worship are excepted by the Bolsheviks from their universal hostility has tended more and more to associate the Jewish race in Russia with the villainies which are now being perpetrated.

"The unnatural and increasingly rapid growth of the feeble-minded and insane classes ... constitutes a national and race danger which it is impossible to exaggerate"

"I think a curse should rest on me because I love this war. I know it's smashing and shattering the lives of thousands every moment and yet I can't help it I enjoy every second of it."

"It is alarming and also nauseating to see Mr. Gandhi... striding half naked up the steps of the Viceregal palace to parley on equal terms with the representative of the King-Emperor."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 12:13

A quote made by a man before he was famous

"Where are you going?"

Lt Pervez Musharraf, Battle of Chawinda 1965 when his battery came under heavy fire, he stayed put and rallied his troops.

"You are a sh*t, a sh*t in a silk stocking!."

Napoleon I to Tallyrend

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 12:19
My favorite historical quote:

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."
      ---John Fitzgerald Kennedy

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Bashibozuk View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Bashibozuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 16:17

After the Battle of Manzikert which ended by a total Turkish victory:

Alp Arslan: "What would you do if I was brought before you as a prisoner?"

Romanus Diogenes: "Perhaps I'd kill you, or exhibit you in the streets of Constantinople."

Alp Arslan: "My punishment is far heavier. I forgive you, and set you free."

Garibim, namima Kerem diyorlar,
Asli'mi el almis, harem diyorlar.
Hastayim, derdime verem diyorlar,
Marasli Seyhoglu Satilmis'im ben.
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:48
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction."

General Douglas MacArthur (1880-1964)

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 19:59
Originally posted by Bashibozuk

After the Battle of Manzikert which ended by a total Turkish victory/P]

Romanus Diogenes: "Perhaps I'd kill you, or exhibit you in the streets of Constantinople."

I like that quote. Somehow it makes me feel so nice and warm inside
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2006 at 22:48
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Originally posted by Bashibozuk

After the Battle of Manzikert which ended by a total Turkish victory/P]

I like that quote. Somehow it makes me feel so nice and warm inside

Which part makes you feel warmer?

Was it that Alp Arslan only released Romanus on the condition of a payoff and a ceasefire.

or

Was it that Michael was crowned ruler while Romanus was imprisoned and upon his return was falsely labelled a traitor and cast into exile but not before being blinded first which ended up killing him.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>