Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tork-stereotypes in Farsi/Shirazi cultu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tork-stereotypes in Farsi/Shirazi cultu
    Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 03:20
I've noticed that amongst my Shirazi, Farsi-speaking gf and her friends/family, there are an abundance of 'Tork' jokes.

I assume the 'torks' they mean are Azeri-speaking Iranians, and/or Turkic speaking country dwellers/nomads. It also seems they take the 'tork=stupid' stereotype quite seriously!

Why is this?? How did it happen?? How do all you Iranians and/or Turks feel about this stereotype? Have you every encountered it yourselves? Am i wrong to believe a large percentage of the most influential Iranians in history were, in fact, Azeri-first-language speakers?

"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 05:27
first time i hear this, its disgusting
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 05:51

This happened 100 years ago, russian agents implanted it into society to further their aims of splitting Iran, namely adding Iranian azerbaijan to the territory they had conquered before - fortunately the jokes did not succeed and are actually popular among Torks themselves.

I challenge anyone to find records older than 100 or so years.

There are Jokes implanted about Lors, Rashtis, Ghazvinis because these people are teh first line of defense against and Russian attack, Lors are particularly martial people and they saved Iran on a couple of occassions.

There are also jokes about Tehranis, but they are more modern. 

These jokes were put in then the term Farse Chauvinist was invented and that is why you hear all of these separatists from OUTSIDE Iran using it, old propaganda, new faces. 

outside a political context, the jokes are as harmless as Irish jokes in Britian or Sicilian jokes in Italy, the truth of the matter is Torks are not stupid and have and are a part of Iran's intellectual and commercial elite.

you can read all about pan-Turanist and Russian propaganda against Iran here: l('http://www.rozanehmagazine.com/NoveDec05/AZPartIIb.html') ;">http://www.rozanehmagazine.com/NoveDec05/AZPartIIb.html

Edited by Zagros
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 06:37
Originally posted by Zagros

This happened 100 years ago, russian agents implanted it into society to further their aims of splitting Iran, namely adding Iranian azerbaijan to the territory they had conquered before - fortunately the jokes did not succeed and are actually popular among Torks themselves.

I challenge anyone to find records older than 100 or so years.

There are Jokes implanted about Lors, Rashtis, Ghazvinis because these people are teh first line of defense against and Russian attack, Lors are particularly martial people and they saved Iran on a couple of occassions.

There are also jokes about Tehranis, but they are more modern. 

These jokes were put in then the term Farse Chauvinist was invented and that is why you hear all of these separatists from OUTSIDE Iran using it, old propaganda, new faces. 

outside a political context, the jokes are as harmless as Irish jokes in Britian or Sicilian jokes in Italy, the truth of the matter is Torks are not stupid and have and are a part of Iran's intellectual and commercial elite.

you can read all about pan-Turanist and Russian propaganda against Iran here: l('http://www.rozanehmagazine.com/NoveDec05/AZPartIIb.html') ;">http://www.rozanehmagazine.com/NoveDec05/AZPartIIb.html

Awsome answer... thanks!
Iranian41ife View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 14:00

Originally posted by Halevi

Why is this?? How did it happen?? How do all you Iranians and/or Turks feel about this stereotype? Have you every encountered it yourselves? Am i wrong to believe a large percentage of the most influential Iranians in history were, in fact, Azeri-first-language speakers?

trust me, in iran, this is just for fun. it has no racist conotation. torks make jokes about themselves and many others, and others make jokes about themslevs and others.

for example, i just saw this iranian comedian who was making fun of persians:

here is the joke: you know you are persian, when people ask you to dance and you reply "No i cant dance at all, i suck, im horrible..." but then when you get on the dance floor you put every stripper on hollywood bolevard to shame.

its the same, in iran, jokes are for fun, they have no racist conotations.

some of the funniest are about rashti's (in my opinion).

trust me, iran is not like the west, when people tell you jokes like that, its for fun.

nobody cares about that stuff in iran, everyone is used to each other and gets along.

in the words of one iranian comedian: "we like to tell dodgey ethnic jokes, and then sing a golden oldie."

my azari aunt tells tork jokes, its all for good fun.

Edited by prsn41ife
"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:25

Tehranis, in particular, are arrogant in using jokes like that. Tehranis, in particular, make fun of everybody from outside Tehran.

For example, they call people from Kerman "opium fiends/addicts"  as jokes.

A joke (just a joke): when saddam wanted to bomb Kerman, he saw it was already smoked up. thus, he assumed that Kerman was already bombed and he passed by. But that smoke was from Opium not bombs.

its alot funnier when you say in in Farsi. trust me . If we got any kermanis here, I apologize. Mods, if you feel like removing this 'joke' its your wish.

Edited by Alborz
"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:27
Originally posted by Alborz

Tehranis, in particular, are arrogant in using jokes like that. Tehranis, in particular, make fun of everybody from outside Tehran.

For example, they call people from Kerman "opium fiends/addicts"  as jokes.

A joke (just a joke): when saddam wanted to bomb Kerman, he saw it was already smoked up. thus, he assumed that Kerman was already bombed and he passed by. But that smoke was from Opium not bombs.

its alot funnier when you say in in Farsi. trust me . If we got any kermanis here, I apologize. Mods, if you feel like removing this 'joke' its your wish.

im tehrani myself, and i gotta tell ya, i feel ashamed! tehrani's are the worst in my opinion. i wish i was isfahani!

"If they attack Iran, of course I will fight. But I will be fighting to defend Iran... my land. I will not be fighting for the government and the nuclear cause." ~ Hamid, veteran of the Iran Iraq War
Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:30

we've got jokes about Isfahanis too.

"Who so shall worship Ahura Mazda, divine blessing will be upon him, both while living and when dead" Darius The Great
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:32
Originally posted by Alborz

we've got jokes about Isfahanis too.

no, not because of the jokes.

when i went to iran, i was disgusted at the way tehrani's would pollute (especially shomal, tehrani's have destroyed shomal pratically with all the garbage they throw around!), and stuff like that.

however, isfahan is so clean! isfahani's are very clean and friendly, etc...

and plus, isfahan is a much better city than tehran, and very beautiful.

thats why i wish i was isfahani, im so jealous! why was i born in tehran....

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:36

albroz, have you hears the rashti joke about the guys nose being pointy?

well i'll say it anyway,

a rashti guy goes to tehran (rashti's tend to have pointy noses).  he meets this guy and starts talking to him. the tehrani asks him if he would like to see a joke, the rashi guy says yes.

so the tehrani guy, puts his hand over a sharp object, and tells the rashti guy to hit his hand. at the last moment, the tehrani pulls his hand away and the rashti hand gets hurt.

so the rashti guys thinks of a way to get the tehrani back, he comes up with an idea! he goes to the tehrani and says, now its my turn to tell you a joke. the rashti guy puts his hand over his knows and says to the tehrani "hit my hand as hard as you can", at the last moment, the rashti guy moves his hand and he gets hit in the face.

the joke is supposed to be about how "stupid" rashti's are.

i apologise to any rashti's that are here, but knowing the iranian tradition, i dont think you really care.

Alborz View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:40

BUT,

outside Tehranis got us Tehranis with the most ultimate comeback of all:

Tehrooni ha eva khaharand!!! u heard that?

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Mar-2006 at 22:42

no i havent heard that. can you translate it?

all i got to say is this:

you know a country is unified, when you can sit a all the different ethnicities together, tell jokes about them, and laugh with no one getting offendent.

its a beautiful thing, something which is lacking in the west.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 00:37
They say Tehranis are Soosool (=sassy)

anyway. i just heard a new joke: they ask a Azeri if you were swimming in a sea and a shark attacked you, what would you do? he answers "I climb a tree." They say "but there's no tree in the sea?" he says "I HAVE TO, CAN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?"
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 03:22
Heheheh... some of these are actually funny. =)
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 06:40
i dont get it
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:46

I have a friend who is from Shiraz and he knows lots of jokes about people from Tabrez.  He told me once a joke about  "Khar e Tabrezi" it was about a chicken stealing Mullah.  Dont remember.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Iranian41ife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 13:58

Originally posted by Leonidas

i dont get it

i dont get the joke either.

please explain why he wants to go up a tree?

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 15:59
yes, I've azari friends &  they always told me newest joke about themselves.
my Ancestor are from Esfahan, but I've never get offended by Esfahani jokes.
these are just for fun

more than 11000 joke here, Enjoy it
http://www.iranmania.com/fun/jokes/
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Mar-2006 at 17:35
Originally posted by prsn41ife

Originally posted by Leonidas

i dont get it

i dont get the joke either.

please explain why he wants to go up a tree?

He makes a stupid decision, becaues there are no trees in the sea, but then when someone questions his judgement, he just yells it louder.  (Becuase hes supposedly both stupid and hot-tempered) .... i think.

Edited by Halevi
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2006 at 05:08

very nice joke!

It is said an Azeri swimmer pulls himself up out of the pool and says "I wonder how the pool tiler could hold his breath for so long!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>