Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Uyghur culture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Uyghur culture
    Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 14:43
Azeris are ethnically quite different from Turkmens. Do Azeris have any of the 9 Oghuz tribes (or let's say 24, with subdivisions)? Could you please name a few?

Azeri Turks are Oghuz, the Afshar, Begdili, Bayats... which is why the Azeri Turks really like Dede Korkut like Turkmens and Turkey Turks do as he was from the Bayat tribe also Fuzulli and other great literary writers were also.

Azeri Turks are originally Oghuz Turkmens like Turkey Turks are.

China is entering a critical stage, it has to carry on its devlopment but anyone who understands economics is that the market never keeps growing and rapid unsastainable growth can be just very dangerous. If so China would face some serious problems and have to give up some regions merely because running them is unfeasable.

If anybody told you in the 80's that the Soviet Union could collapse they would have lauged. Uygur Turks could attain independance of more autonomy from China while being a part of China in the next 10-20 years.

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 16:04
Well, my roommate was an Azeri. I've also visited lots of Azeris. They're quite different from Turkmens when it comes to anthropology. They're not either similar to people of Turkey. They seem more Iranian. And, one of the factors in counting Turkmen linage is, to be 'sunnite'. Cause THERE DOESN'T EXIST ANY SHI'A TURKMEN.

And Azeris haven't got any oghuz tribal confederation; except for those people who were originally immigrants from Turkey.

Azeris, as what is believed in Central Asia (and I agree), are not of Turkic origin. Only their language is a dialect of Turkic.

P.S: You know, the name 'Turkmen' has been used by various people just to show they were Turk NOMADS.

Edited by gok_toruk - 05-Sep-2006 at 16:19
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 16:15
what about some northern azeris they allso use to live in south caucasus like terkemes
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 16:21
Terekemes are not originally Turkmen. They were ruled by Turkmens; but not Turkmens originally.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 19:18
Well, my roommate was an Azeri. I've also visited lots of Azeris. They're quite different from Turkmens when it comes to anthropology. They're not either similar to people of Turkey. They seem more Iranian. And, one of the factors in counting Turkmen linage is, to be 'sunnite'. Cause THERE DOESN'T EXIST ANY SHI'A TURKMEN.

You cannot base youra ideas of all AzeriTurks baed upon a room-mate, also you cannot tell the anthropollogy of a person by merely looking at them. I have a friend whoe parents are both Black he's much  lighter than my friend who has a White mother and Black father. If I was to statet that the guy with black parents didn't have both black parents and instaead mixed parents then that would expose the problems of trying to proove people's anthrolopoly by looking at them.  In adition  many  Azeri Turks have mixed with Persians and vica-versa there is bound to bealot of mixing.

If  you visit villages in the South Azerbaycan region you can see alot of Oguz Turk customs, traditions etc

I have seen Tahtaji Turkmens in Turkey, Azerbaycan and Turkmenistan they have alot in common.

And Azeris haven't got any oghuz tribal confederation; except for those people who were originally immigrants from Turkey.

Ofcourse they have, so have the Kashkay and alot of Azeri Turks are Afshars.

Azeris, as what is believed in Central Asia (and I agree), are not of Turkic origin. Only their language is a dialect of Turkic.

An ubsurd comment, so the Bayats, Afshars are not Turks? they also exist in Turkey and Turkmenistan. Azeri Turks carry on the literature of Dede Korkut, keep the dastans of Karacaoglan, the works of Fuzulli and Nesimi alive for the fun of it.  Ofcourse Azeri Turks mixed with other populations but they retained their Turk identity, language and culture. You don't just become Arab, Turk, Persian etc and you don't change what you are by force either as it never works. Even in Latin America, though they speak Spanish they don't feelvor like ethnic Spaniards. But Azeri Turks feel and are proud of being Turks, its their identity and one their comfortable with. Nobody has the right to come and tell them who they are or that there just phony Turks who only speak Turkish. Where the Selcuks, KaraKoyunlu, AkKoyunlu, Timurids, Kizilbash Turkmens, Safavi Turkmens, Afsharids etc not Turks then because they all contributed to the Azeri Turk presence today.

P.S: You know, the name 'Turkmen' has been used by various people just to show they were Turk NOMADS.

It was generally attached to Oguz Turks who most the Turks West of the Caspian are a part of.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Forgotten View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Forgotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 19:48
Originally posted by bigtoothbrush

the people who were sent by government are mostly workers and engineers.

That Would Be 5% Of The Chinese In Eastern Turkistan , The Other 95% Chinese Are Killers And Thiefs And Criminals Who Just Got Out From The jails In Beijing.

they went there is for oil and natural gas exploitation.

Ofcourse They Went There For Oil And Natural Gas , Thats Why China Invaded Eastern Turkistan ! Plus To Bomb And Test Nuclear Weapons In The Deserts Which You Dont Like Because Of The Crowded Areas In China.

uygurs also benefited by this coz resource related industries got chief position to offer jobs.

How Ironic! Uyghurs Get Benefited By Thier Own Oil And Sources ! The Uyghurs Get Benefited When They Find Jobs In ThierOwnLand And If They Go To China In a Huge Numbers For Works In Good Places , This What Called Benefits.

otherwise what jobs do uygurs wanna do? feeding horses and milking cows?

i think that there no horses left for uyghurs to feed in eastern turkistan , horses meat became the favourite meal for hans after the dogs and the rats.

Forgotten View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Forgotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Sep-2006 at 19:52

Originally posted by Qin Dynasty

but it is all from  my own eyes and experience.

Its Obvious That Your Eyes Are So Small , Arent They ?
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 00:31
Originally posted by barbar

Originally posted by Feramez

What bullsh*t this is!! I have visited here for 3weeks 2yrs. ago and now am living here for 2yrs. you see none of this here. Uygurs and Han are not brothers, not even friends. It's true many Uygurs are training in these fields you mentioned but come here and see what happens to them after they graduate. Most will not go on to work in these fields. These companies want to hire only Chinese and they are very open about it. Maybe not even 1% of the employees for oil companies are Uygurs, the Han are stealin oil from this land and wont even let the Uygurs make money off it. Another thing you were right about was the beautiful women. Other than that you're talking bullsh*t.

I think we should come back to the topic.

What really upsets me and many of my friends is not the oil or the other things that have been taken from this region. It doen't matter if we live in poverty. What we are loosing is our culture and dignity, which is really hard to accept. The notion of power and money as the decider of everything from the Chinese culture is slowly spreading among the Uyghur people.

With the time that I've been here I've noticed that the Uygurs, in general, have preserved their culture better than most Turks have.  A lot of Turk nations have become very westernized or Russified, as for E. T., the Uygurs here have preserved their culture very well.  As for the mentality you mentioned, you're right.  I haven't witnessed it much, not as much as you seem to describe it, yet.  But if the Chinese act this way Uygurs might have to as well.  Don't act this way towards other Uygurs but with the Chinese.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 00:35
Originally posted by barbar

Originally posted by xi_tujue

Turkeys turks are originaly from the same tribes as are the turkmens azeris. so they owe them if you can get help from your own "tribe" than who will you don't ask help from a strangers just a tribesmen a brother who you haven't seen for a while(1200 or 1500 years)

How can you help us my dear? Look at Uzbekistan, Qazaqistan and Qirghizistan, what are they doing to Uyghur people there? Look at Turkey. Uyghurs have to wait several months to get the Turkish visa, while Chinese can get in a week.

I know all these governments are doing against the willing of our Turkic brothers in their respective countries. But I wonder what common people can do?

We really don't need your help. We know well the political games in the world. What we hope is not to do harm anymore. It really hurts bad when you are treated by your own brothers this way.

From what I know, Turkey treats the Uygurs in Turkey well.  I don't know how hard it is for Uygurs here to get a Turkish Visa but I do know that China makes it very hard for Uygurs to leave to Turkey, Turkey and America are very hard for Uygurs to get into, because of China.  As for Kazakistan and Ozbekistan, I know that those governments often hand over Uygur refugees to the Chinese government, and from there we know what happens to them.  I've never heard of Turkey doing anything like this.
For Turks, the homeland isn't Turkey, nor yet Turkistan. Their country is a vast, eternal land: Turan!
-Ziya Gokalp-
TRK DNYASI Forum, join today.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 07:52
Well, I've been to Tabriz and much of Azerbiacan. It was quite simple to see how they differ from a Turkmen. You're comparing a caucaid with a Central Asian (Turkmen)? And your friend might have been like his white side. What we're talking about is totally different issues. Azeris are ALL Caucaid. Show me a picture of Azeri show's like Central Asians and I'll accept your theory.

Turkey is just mixture in which Turks are, anthropologically, in minority. We've talked this a lot before I don't want to restart it. No Central Asian looking guy exists in Turkey except for immigrants from Central Asia or Russian states. I'm talking about the lineage. Azeri ARE Turk; because they CLAIM to be Turk. But they're COMPLETELY caucaid. By the way, Turkmens of Turkmenistan and Turkey (Iraq or Azerbaican) are quite different. In fact, Turkmens of Turkey and Iraq speak an Azeri dialect and are caucaid. And you CAN'T compare a Turkmen's nomadic culture to someone from Turkey or Azerbaican.

The name 'Qashqay' is Turkic; but not Oghuz. It's more likely a Kiptchak name. And Afshars in Azerbaican are Turkish immigrants. By the way, here in Turkmenistan, Afshars are classified as 'qyzylbash' which is not originally a Central Asian Turkmen. THEY CALL THEMSELVES 'TAT TURKMEN' which means 'not original Turkmen'. That's what they (and also Northern Khorasan Turks) call themselves. I told you there are lots of people outside Turkmenistan who call themselves Turkmen; but are not originally Turkmen. So, I don't accept your theory about the different Turkmens worldwide; simply because most of them believe they are 'tat Turkmens'.

All I mean is that, see: let anybody who wants to be a Turk, call himself a Turk. I don't believe in such a nonesense; it's kind of nationalism. But, even if a European speaks Turkic and call himself a Turk, so he's originally a Turk? I mean Azeris are mixture of Iranian (the majority) and the Turkic tribes (not even Turkmen).

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 07:57

You might say (all Turkish people say) Afshars are one of the 24 Oghuz tribes. The things is that Oghuzes were anytime 9 Oghuz and not 24 Oghuz. Now we've got, in sometimes, 8 Oghuz; cause only 1 tribe of them stood by Gok Turks. But the 24 tribes you're talking about is just not that much precise.

Oghuz Qaqa (this is the Turkmen equal of Qaghan) had 6 sons and each of them had 4 sons. So you're counting even the sub tribes. But in Turkmenistan, lineage is from the major 9 tribes; and not the 24 tribes version.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 08:00
Uighurs might have preserved their culture better than Turkish people, but not from a Turkmenk, Kazak or especially from a Kyrkiz. In urbans, ofcourse most people live in a westernized society. But most of the people here see Uighurs as somehow 'the middle one'; I mean they're not as classical as a Turkmen or a Kyrkiz; and not as modern as Kazak nobles.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 08:36
Well, I've been to Tabriz and much of Azerbiacan. It was quite simple to see how they differ from a Turkmen. You're comparing a caucaid with a Central Asian (Turkmen)? And your friend might have been like his white side. What we're talking about is totally different issues. Azeris are ALL Caucaid. Show me a picture of Azeri show's like Central Asians and I'll accept your theory.

You really have to get these theories of race out of your mind, anthropology means very little in the Middle-East/Near-East and trying to stick people into pots based upon their racial make-up won't get you anywhere.

Many Azeri Turks look just like Turkmens, Turkmens don't all look identical either and they arn't 100% Mongoloid looking either, you can see Mongoloid and Caucosoid features in them, they are Turks and have a Turkic look.

There is no theory, were not talking about Scientific equations of objects here, were talking about People. Azeri feel Turks, they embrace their Turkish history, speak Turk lanuage, its an area where the Afshars, Bayats and others settled, the capitol of many Turk states was in today's Azerbaycan region, this isn't a THEORY, this is a REALITY.

There are Turkmens in Turkey who look identical to Turkmens in Turkmenistan, Turks in  Turkey migrated to Turkey in huge numbers and as they were rulers and due to the other people's not being a unified nation they assimilated into the Turk nation majority. Many Turkmen tradditions, culture and links exist today in Turkey.

Turkey is just mixture in which Turks are, anthropologically, in minority.

Again, this anthropological argument is ridiculous, what is the pure Anthropological make-up of TUkrs that you compare this toConfused

No Central Asian looking guy exists in Turkey except for immigrants from Central Asia or Russian states.

Please, don't talk about things you don't know, all you do is make assumptions and present your ideas as the literal fact. There are many Central Asian looking  people in Turkey and who know their lineage back to the Oguz Tribes. If you actually visited and did proper research you would have known this. Plus if your speaking about Crimean and Nogay Tatar Turks they are around 10% of today's Turkey population and have clear Central Asian features.

But Turkey isn't ethnically "pure", there was even a large Black African migration in the past, maybe some 500,000 or more especially in the Mediterrannean and Aegean coast area. They mixed with the locals and are today Turks. When they came they came from Eastern Africa, which Turks saw as Arab lands, this is why Turks call Black people "Arap" even today.

Turkmens of Turkmenistan mixed much less because they are seperated from others by a dessert.

I'm talking about the lineage. Azeri ARE Turk; because they CLAIM to be Turk. But they're COMPLETELY caucaid. By the way, Turkmens of Turkmenistan and Turkey (Iraq or Azerbaican) are quite different. In fact, Turkmens of Turkey and Iraq speak an Azeri dialect and are caucaid. And you CAN'T compare a Turkmen's nomadic culture to someone from Turkey or Azerbaican.

There are Yoruk and Turkmen tribes in Turkey who live a nomadic or semi-nomadic life. Like the "SariKecili" who are from the Kayi branch of the Oguz in the Toros mountains area.

Plus, the Qasqai are one of the largest nomadic groups of Turks today, they speak the same accent as Azeri and Turkey Turks.

You should be proud so many people associate themselves with Turkmens, do you know how respected and loved and a sense of pride people have for Turkmens in Turkey? this isn't a Bad thing please understand this.

All I mean is that, see: let anybody who wants to be a Turk, call himself a Turk. I don't believe in such a nonesense; it's kind of nationalism. But, even if a European speaks Turkic and call himself a Turk, so he's originally a Turk? I mean Azeris are mixture of Iranian (the majority) and the Turkic tribes (not even Turkmen).

Why are you trying to split any connection, the Azeri Turks are Turks because of the 24 Legendary Oguz, today's Turkmen are mostly Oguz so you are connected. The Oguz branch or Turkic is shared by everyone West of KaraKalpak area.

What do you mean original, how can you be original anything if you go back twenty generations you have hundreds of thousands of relatives maybe millions, it would be impossible for them all to be of the same nation.

Were all humans, people don't percieve themselves to be part of a nation because they studied their genetic makeup, No, its more complex than that, language, culture, history, mixing, identity all play a part. You didn't have to be a "pure" Turk to be a part of the Turk tribes, they were very tolerant and never had racist complexes and ideas. Plus Turk nationality was passed down by father, even if a TUrk male married a non-Turk the child would be a Turk and bought up as one and acepted as one. Even today Turk males don't have problems marrying non-Turks but they don't like to let their daughters marry non-Turks.
Albert Pine

Tangriberdi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Tangriberdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 12:53
Originally posted by gok_toruk

It does not matter where and how many times you have been in Azerbaijan. Physical apperance is never a criterion for being a Turk.
I think you have a racistic point of view regarding Turkishness or Turkicness.

Millions of Turks living outside Great Turkistan  does not look like the people living in Turkistan. Also Turkestanis vary in appearance.
More Turks than Turks in Turkistan live outside Turkistan and they do not look like Turkistanis at all. According to your criteria we can not include these people in Turkish or more specifically Turkmen family?
Stop that racistic views. How Turkmen you are, so are we . So are Azerbaijani Turks . No matters if you do not accept us Turks or Turkmens, we are , we have the heritage of Oghuz Kaghan as you have.
Even if only remnan from Turkishness is language, we have it, and we will retain it.
Neither Aryan-maniacs  nor Central Asian racists cannot deprive us of being Turks.
Turkishness is not blood but feeling.
Yes we are different. But you always see the difference, even if once, try to see the commonness.
YOU JUDGE OUR TURKICNESS. But judging Turkishness of other people rquires being judged by other Turks.

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 13:04
Originally posted by gok_toruk

Azeris are ethnically quite different from Turkmens. Do Azeris have any of the 9 Oghuz tribes (or let's say 24, with subdivisions)? Could you please name a few?

You know nothing about settled Turkic people. Uzbek and Uyghurs in Central Asia also doesn't have tribal names. Whenever you took up settled life, you will slowly discard the notion of tribalism, instead you differenciate yourselves with different locations, like Turpanliq, Qeshqerliq, Anjanliq, Semerqentlik etc.

Now speak your bullsh*t somewhere else. This thread is about Uyghur culture.

Either make a history or become a history.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 14:20
Thanks to ArashAKAarcher. Now, to Barbar; see I've tried a lot not to confront with you. As it turns out, you don't want to be polite. Listen, although this is about Uighurs, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. Whenever I call your name, you can stand by and reply, alright?

That's why I said Uighurs haven't preserved their culture well. Uzbeks are consisted of 30 (or 32?) tribes. Now, some Ozbeks may not know it. But just go check Vambery's book on the part for Ozbeks.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 14:34
Well, I told you this is not the place to talk about Azeris. We've talked about this before, when you were not a member of AE. You can check out the refrences people have provided in the appropriate section.

Azeris don't look like Turkmens at all. By the way, I've been to Turkey before. My uncle and lots of Central Asians live there. It's, worldwide, accepted, and everybody knows Turkish people look differnt from that of Turkmen of Central Asian. Anyhow, we should stop it here or we'll get warnings.

I can continue to whenever you may think; but it's not the place. I've got my own proofs too. By the way, don't tell anbody his ideas are rediculous. Yours would seem so, too.

All I'll say is, only some Turkish people would accept this. Turkmens even don't count people from Turkey as Oghuz. Let alone for Azeris. Now you may say Turkmens are wrong. But, Turkmens would say the same thing to you.

Finished...

Edited by gok_toruk - 06-Sep-2006 at 14:39
Uyghur Oghli View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Uyghur Oghli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 14:47
An interesting article about Uyghur history.

=========================================

The History of Moderin Uyghur

People talking about Uyghurs must always be aware that almost each modern nation designation represents only one particular people of many different peoples who became on culture over the course of the History. Thus we call the Chinese by the name of only one of many "ethnos" who played a role in "Chinese" history. In other cases we even call a particular people by different names. In case of my people, Americans call us "Germans," a word originating from a Celtic designation for one tribe whose name was "Tongrer". Some Slavic peoples call us "Swabes," which is the name of only one of our peoples. Latin speaking Europeans call us "Aleman," which was just another tribe. Our own designation is "Deutsch," definitely a Celtic name.

Uyghur is our designation for the peoples of East Turkistan, and we are aware that only a part of the contemporary Uyghur population can be regarded as "pure" descendants of the people who once ruled Mongolia. Tocharians, rya, Saka, Basmil, Karakhanids and many other peoples, who all became part of the modern Uyghur Nation, are -theoretically- legal designations for the Uyghur people.

No matter what we call them, Uyghurs must be regarded as the indigenous people of East Turkistan.

Uyghurs are a people with a long and amazing history that stretches back more than 4,000 years, which started with the arrival of representatives of the proto-European race, a people very similar to the ancient peoples of Russia and Northern Europe. Somewhat later, typical representatives of at least two branches of the gracile and darker complexioned Mediterranean sub branch of the greater European race appeared in the South and West, and in the eastern regions very unique representatives of a "proto-Tibetan" race mixed with the proto-Europeans. Note that this dolichocephalous race with a narrow face, very high orbits and very pronounced cheekbones had racially and culturally nothing to do with the Chinese of past and present.

In the Iron Age - or possibly much earlier - the ancient Hu-Chieh, who also are known as Kao-ch'e, settled to the North of the peoples of East Turkistan. Ancient Chinese sources say the Hu-Chieh were from a Dinlin origin. To the North of Hu-Chieh settled the Dinlin (T'ieh-l) Turks, whom Oshanin called the "legendary blond race of Central Asia". Further north settled another race of "red haired and green eyed Barbarians" known as the ancient Hja-g'ja-sz (Chien-Kun) Turks, designated by our scholars as "Yennisey Kirkiz". The Hja-gja-sz became the most important enemy of the Hu-Chieh/Kao-ch'e in the days Hu-Chieh ruled over all of Mongolia.

This Hu-Chieh/Kao-ch'e we designate as "historical Uyghurs" were originally a Southern Altaic people, who may have had originated in the vast region from Hovd to Semipalatinsk. This means that they originated from a region that included large parts of Djungaria, which was, is and (hopefully) forever will be part of East Turkistan.

Iron ties always connected the peoples of the northern Oasis cities and the Altaics. Therefore the Hsiung-Nu Batur Tangriqut also attacked Hu-Chieh when conquering the Yueh-chi. It is written that the Hu-chieh/Uyghur of the 175 B.C. had been "under the control of the Yueh-chi up to that time" (History of Early Civilizations of Central Asia. Vol. 2, p.175). Somewhat later the Hsiung-Nu Chih-chih attacked the ancient Turpanliks before he finally did what was the original reason of his mission: attacking the Hu-chieh/Uyghur to the North of the ancient Turpanliks

These ancient ties makes clear why the conquest of the Turpan region by the "historical Uyghurs" was so peaceful: "Literature kept alive its former intellectual activity," the "Buddhist and Nestorian" character of the "old Tocharian country" (Grousset) was left untouched, and agriculture, which still is the main profession of the Turpanliks, was improved.

The "historical Uyghurs" neither killed the "Tocharians" nor drove them out of East Turkistan. The result of the historical Uyghur "conquest" was that the people of the Northern Oasis cities and the "historical Uyghurs" melted together to become one part of the modern Uyghur Nation.

source: http://www.uyghuramerican.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4627

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 15:04
Tangriberdi, first, read my posts again. I've always said let anybody feel Turk (if it's considered honor; I don't belive this anyhow). I'm not racist. All I say is that we've got some ethnical characteristics. You believe this? Iranians are originally from Indo- European tribes; but they don't resemble their orignal features. Azeris ARE Turk; simply because they say so. But, for sure, they CAN'T be compared to a Turkmen, from any point of view, except for being Turk. Culture is quite different. Language are not that much similar (I can speak Azeri very well). Forget about it please.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Sep-2006 at 15:07

You think Azeris are of Turkmen origin. And there are almost 5 million Turkmens who think Azeris are not so. You think I'm wrong. And we think you're wrong.

So, no need to make more effort on this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>