Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEthnic Cleansing of Macedonia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethnic Cleansing of Macedonia
    Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 09:10

The Bulgarian statistics alone take into account the national consciousness of the people themselves. >>

The Servian calculations are generally based on the results of the study of dialect and on the identity of customs: they are therefore largely theoretic and abstract in character. >>

The Greek calculations are even more artificial, since their ethnic standard is the influence exercised by Greek civilization on the urban populations, and even the recollections and traces of classical antiquity.

What more is there to prove? The Bulgarian study is based on the national counciousness of the people themselves, the Greek and Serb ones are artificial. 1,181,336 people identified themselves as Bulgarians, 228,702 as Greeks and that's the bottom line. If I was a nationalistic Greek talking about Macedonia I wouldn't mention this...

Edited by the Bulgarian
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 09:26

If the Bulgarians was 1.1 millions !!!!! your census after the WW I will be increased from 5 to 6 mil. Why any Bulgarian  official census never say that ? Your census have Bulgarians of regions that's not consider as Macedonia from the Greeks such as West Thrace and Kossovo

And usually you forget the Macedonian census after the  treaty of Neuilly brought peace to the relations of Bulgaria with her adversaries. A convention between Greece and Bulgaria, known as the Neuilly Treaty, entering force on August 9, 1920 provided for the voluntary exchange of populations between Bulgaria and Greece in order to avoid mistreatment of the alien populations in the two countries.

IMRO, still active, objected to the implementation of the exchange of populations because this would eliminate the Bulgarian element in Greece and would eliminate Bulgaria's claim on Macedonia. A number of Slavs who had expressed their desire to migrate to Bulgaria thus chose not to.

During the wars, prior to 1920, close to 16,000 Greeks and 30,000 Bulgars fled to their respective homelands and after the Neuilly Treaty the corresponding numbers were 30,000 and 53,000 [the figures were taken from. Still, some Bulgars, following IMRO's suggestions remained in Greece. Some others who, due to intermarriage, were not sure of their allegiance to either country also did not leave. Their presence was not noticed due to the chaotic situation in Greece following the Greek defeat of 1922 by the Turks and the subsequent forced exchange of populations between Greece and Turkey. The only minority (since the Bulgars were supposed to go according to the Neuilly Treaty) left in Greece was a Moslem one in Thrace.

The situation in Southern Serbia was quite complicated since a large number of Bulgars were still residing there. These were to be named in the 1940s ``Macedonians'' by Tito in order to eliminate the Bulgarian influence on this territory of then Yugoslavia.

In September 1924 a Greco-Bulgarian agreement, to be known as the Kalfov-Politis Protocol, was concluded. This protocol provided for the treatment of Bulgars/Greeks who had not yet left their alien countries under the Neuilly Treaty. The then Greek government appeared to accept the view that the Bulgar-speaking Greeks and the Bulgar-speaking Bulgarians (who had not left) still living in Greece were Bulgarians. It was soon realized that this agreement was a mistake and the Bulgar-speaking Greeks protested the agreement. Serbia also protested this agreement because these people were recognized as Bulgarians and not Serbs. Subsequent protests by both Bulgaria and Serbia, for various reasons, convinced the then Greek government not to insist on calling these people Bulgarians. The League of Nations, on March 14, 1925 relieved Greece of any obligations under the Kalfov-Politis Protocol. Since then, Greece considered them Greeks (including the Bulgars still living in Greece at that time). The Metaxas' dictatorship, who tried to force the abandonment of the Bulgarian idiom by these people, alienated some of them. The situtation was to be resolved only after World War II when the remaining Bulgars and possibly some alienated Bulgar-speaking Greeks (various sources estimated their number upwards 60,000) finally left Greece.

That's why Greece NEVER INCLUDE IN ITS CENSUS KOSOVVO vilaeti because is not Macedonia. For the people that they don't know Kossovo Vilaety and its geography,  was the area of the today Kossovo and the North FYROM.

source:  Evangelos Kofos "Nationalism and Communism in Macedonia"

Edited by akritas
BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 09:32
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

Originally posted by BlindOne

[QUOTE=the Bulgarian] PS  I call banzi Paranoid, you shoulkd read my text better next time.

It's hard for me to understand such an ilogycal text, not to mention that practicaly every word has been spelled incorrectly.

Back to a previous question of mine - if Macedonia was not Bulgarian how come 70% of the people in FYROM are of Bulgarian descent?

My text was well undertantable,  that paragraft was for Banzi but when you read something in hurry and consumed by hatred for the other you will never undernant , also your words aren't all the time spelled correctly.....

That post of mine was readable and understantable

Anyway just a few comments from me about nations. There are not Nations based on Blood. That tactic, to proof that nation have blood origin have been started by Nazis (that tactic still use the FYROMNIANS). Nation are characterized by common languadge and common feeling that we are the same...

Now what the common have now Macedonia and Fyrom. If the 70% of people in Fyrom areBulgarian origin (as you say) them why all Macedonia should be Bulagrian, explain that to me...

Edited by BlindOne
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 09:44

"If the Bulgarians was 1.1 millions !!!!! your census after the WW I will be increased from 5 to 6 mil. Why any Bulgarian  official census never say that ?"

Maybe because most of them were not with in bulgarian borders after 1919!

Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 09:47
And please give a link to the sourses you all use
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 10:35

Greeks say FYROMians are Greeks, Serbs say they are Serbs, but neither of them yearns their freedom and prosperity. You are ready to fight the Macedonians to annex FYROM, instead of fighting for them, because you very well know that they have nothing to do with you. The only Balcan nation willing to shed its blood for the FYROMians are the Bulgarians, because even after all the hardship and tragedies they are still are owr brothers and everyone trying to annex or partition Macedonia is going to come through us. Bulgaria is the only one of Macedonia's neighbours that supports hole heartedly its independance and souverenity.

I suggest you start calling the Republic of Macedonia by its conctitutional name, under which it is recognized by most major world countries such as Russia, USA, including Bulgaria.

I do not understand why you insist on using this acronym FYROM?

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 10:40

2) Dear bg_Turk you can also understant that the photos you have precent doesn't prove anythink! From where can i be sure that the soldier is Bulagian and not say a Russian???? can you prove it to me... No

Dear BlindOne, of course photos alone do not prove anything, but in addition there are repororts from international comittees, eye wirness reports, state archives, letters of Greek soldiers, that give overwhelming evidence to suggest that what happened was indeed a systematic campaign aimed at the ethnic cleansing, forcefull assimilation and cultural annihilation of the slavic majority of Makedoniya, but for those that are Blind Ones no evidence would be sufficient, they will continue to live in their hellenic dreams.

Continue your propaganda my dear BlindOne, Hellas will be proud of you! 

Edited by bg_turk
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:02
Originally posted by bg_turk

I suggest you start calling the Republic of Macedonia by its conctitutional name, under which it is recognized by most major world countries such as Russia, USA, including Bulgaria.

Is this a serious question?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:05

2) Dear bg_Turk you can also understant that the photos you have precent doesn't prove anythink! From where can i be sure that the soldier is Bulagian and not say a Russian???? can you prove it to me... No

Dear BlindOne, of course photos alone do not prove anything, but in addition there are repororts from international comittees, eye wirness reports, state archives, letters of Greek soldiers, that give overwhelming evidence to suggest that what happened was indeed a systematic campaign aimed at the ethnic cleansing, forcefull assimilation and cultural annihilation of the slavic majority of Makedoniya, but for those that are Blind Ones no evidence would be sufficient, they will continue to live in their hellenic dreams.

Reports,archives,letters?Bring them here.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:13
Originally posted by Subotai

"If the Bulgarians was 1.1 millions !!!!! your census after the WW I will be increased from 5 to 6 mil. Why any Bulgarian  official census never say that ?"

Maybe because most of them were not with in bulgarian borders after 1919!

or perhaps the number was unaccurate

As about my sources read better my posts

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:15

Most of the evidence is summarised here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870030329/sr=8-1/qid=11396 77743/ref=sr_1_1/002-7021016-2756038?%5Fencoding=UTF8

The chronology of the Kilkis massacres is well descibed, the letters of greek soldiers, and also some eye witness accounts.

THe book is there for anybody who is interested to read, I neither have the time nor patience to argue with greek nationalists.

bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:25
Originally posted by Spartakus

Actually the question was not directed at you, your hostility towards the RoM (Republic of Macedonia) is self-evident.

What I wanted to hear is why The Bulgarian choose to refer to the RoM by the greek acronym of "FYROM". In fact Bulgaria was among the first to recognize the Republic of Macedonia by its constitutional name.

Edited by bg_turk
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:28
Concerning the book,it would be better if you brought more practical material in order to discuss here.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:29

bg_turk........do you have the kind to tell us where you find the colour photo that show supposing gathering sceletons after Greek ethnical cleansing in Macedonia ?

Most of the evidence is summarised here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870030329/sr=8-1/qid=11396 77743/ref=sr_1_1/002-7021016-2756038?%5Fencoding=UTF8

The chronology of the Kilkis massacres is well descibed, the letters of greek soldiers, and also some eye witness accounts.

THe book is there for anybody who is interested to read, I neither have the time nor patience to argue with greek nationalists.

Your suggested book is a reprint of the  Carnegie Commison as one from Customers mention.

akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:32

Originally posted by Spartakus

Actually the question was not directed at you, your hostility towards the RoM (Republic of Macedonia) is self-evident.

What I wanted to hear is why The Bulgarian choose to refer to the RoM by the greek acronym of "FYROM". In fact Bulgaria was among the first to recognize the Republic of Macedonia by its constitutional name.

Your country recoqnize the FYROM with its constitutional name but denies the excistance of ethnic Macedonians  in hers territory.

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 12:51

Greeks say FYROMians are Greeks, Serbs say they are Serbs, but neither of them yearns their freedom and prosperity. You are ready to fight the Macedonians to annex FYROM, instead of fighting for them, because you very well know that they have nothing to do with you. The only Balcan nation willing to shed its blood for the FYROMians are the Bulgarians, because even after all the hardship and tragedies they are still are owr brothers and everyone trying to annex or partition Macedonia is going to come through us. Bulgaria is the only one of Macedonia's neighbours that supports hole heartedly its independance and souverenity.

I don't insist at all. It's just that if I say "Macedonia" the Greeks will start a dispute about it.

Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 13:03

"or perhaps the number was unaccurate "

No, as i said it is logical that these people are not included in the 1919+ census because they were not with in bulgarian teritory

Isokrates View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 13:17
A warehouse with minarets and a dome. That was news.
Actually that is a photo took from the historical mosque in the Greek
city Nafplio. Sex movies are shown in the mosque since it has been
 converted into a cinema.

If there is one thing I detest, thats when people continuously contradict
 their original statement, knowing that their propaganda is about to
be put where it belongs..

So now this 'warehouse' moved from Ksanthi to Nafplio..
From originally claiming it was in Ksanthi and by doing so implying that
a fully working mosque is being sacriledged, now you present a different
 version and suggest that the pic you present is from the OLD mosque in
 Nafplio that after our liberation was converted to a Parliament and now
 into a cinema..
OK and this proves what, disrespect to your religion ???
Why keep a mosque working in an area with a 0 population of muslims, what is
 the value in it. The building was sold and made use of (note that there
 are NO minarets.. unlike several churches in Turkey that are abandoned
 and turned into public toilets..

In your next post, you may whine about the minarets that were torn
 down from the Parthenon.. and tell us all about what disrespectfull
 barbarians we are for not leaving that disgrace standing over the
 Parthenon..

Here is what the building actually looks like and not what propagandists
 care to promote as seen in your pic..

But since respect of other religions is the point you probably attempted 
to make, please do read these..

ENJOY

"Half-naked models at a fashion show held in a Christian church in Istanbul   

In the middle of May 2005, the St Irini Church in Istanbul
 (situated near the St Sophia Church, which epitomises the
 Christian faith) was treated to a designer display by
 half-naked fashion models with the prior approval of the
 Turkish authorities, something which can only be
 described as the height of bad taste and vulgarity deeply
 offensive to the beliefs of millions of Europeans
"

SOURCE
EU PARLIAMENT

"For example, in spring 2004 an exhibition was organised
 inside the church by some Asiatic artist or other with
 works of art made of lettuce(!), while at the same time
 a plastic greenhouse had been set up inside the church
 together with television monitors which were broadcasting
 Muslim religious services at high volume.
"

SOURCE
EU PARLIAMENT

I could continue with the illegal confiscation of Patriarchate lands, the
 closing of a summer camp for children of ages 8-15 for no obvious reason,
 the  closing of the School of Halki...etc.

Well, it contradicts to the article 38 of treaty of Lausanne and the
 Treaty of Athens of 1913, so Greek justifications aren't better than
 "cheap" here...

It contradicts NOTHING, I let it go before, but you're asking for it..
Where do you get off INTENTIONALLY MANIPULATING ORIGINAL
 TEXTS
to promote your propaganda ???

The EXACT text of ARTICLE 38, that you are oh, so, fond of is :
READ IT THIS TIME:

ARTICLE 38.

The Turkish Government undertakes to assure full and complete
 protection of life and liberty to all inhabitants of Turkey without
 distinction of birth, nationality, language, race or religion.

All inhabitants of Turkey shall be entitled to free exercise, whether in
 public or private, of any creed, religion or belief, the observance of which
 shall not be incompatible with public order and good morals.

Non-Moslem minorities will enjoy full freedom of movement and of
 emigration, subject to the measures applied, on the whole or on part of
 the territory, to all Turkish nationals, and which may be taken by the
 Turkish Government for national defence, or for the maintenance of
 public order.

found in several sources :
http://www.lib.byu.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/
http://www.hri.org/docs/lausanne/

So exactly how does the REAL article and not the distorted text you
 presented for obvious reasons
, contradict anything I wrote ???
They did not commit any attrocities, but if you mean the
 attrocitities of Greek soldiers, it is wartime and natural for th invading
 soldiers being attack by the liberation forces.

Your propaganda sources obviously taught you a totally different version
 of history. Since I don't resort to sites like 'Tall Armenian Tale' for info, I'll
 just show you what my source taught me..
A couple of abstracts from G.Horton's 'THE BLIGHT OF ASIA'

"A native-born American reported that he had seen a man beaten to
 death with clubs by the Turks, "till there was not a whole bone left in his
 body." "

"American relief workers, standing on the deck of a ship, which left Smyrna
 soon after the Simpson, related that they saw a man throw himself into
 the sea and swim toward the vessel. A Turkish soldier raised his rifle,
 took aim and blew the mans head off."

"a crowd of residents, men, women and children, had gathered on a
 lighter lying in the harbor but a short distance from the pier, with the
 hope that some Entente or American launch would tow them to a ship
 and save them. The Turks threw petroleum on them and burned them all
 to death. A confirmation of this dreadful story was furnished me by Miss
 Emily McCallam, directress of the Intercollegiate Institute of Smyrna. She
 arrived in that ill-fated city on the morning of September 14, 1922, after
 the fire set by the Turks had been raging all night, and saw a number of
 charred bodies floating in the harbor, which she was informed were the
 corpses of the people cremated on the lighter."

So much for ONLY killing soldiers..

And these are definately not more provocative than the
 monuments of Athens and other cites of Pelepponese, Missolonghi etc.

You either have never seen these two monuments or simply avoided to
 mention them..
I personally have traveled to several countries and visited several
 monuments. NEVER and I do mean NEVER, have I ever seen anything
 that can be compared to the hatred promoted by these two monoments..
 Monuments that obviously weren't errected only in the memory of those
 lost but to also promote nationalism..

First monument, from Afyonkarahisar...

Note the good ol' Turk stepping on the body of the Hellinic villain..

Is this not a concientious attempt of dehumanizing, insulting and
defiling the 'former' enemy ???

Another monument, that of Ataturk at Zefertepe again at Afyonkarahisar..

Note that the reliefs around the statue represent Hellinic Officers begging for their lives.
Both memorials are visited year after year, cultivating and renewing
the hatred they harbour.

These memorials were erected not only to celebrate a victory (which one
 could understand) but also to dehumanize the 'enemy' and this is in fact
 state policy... which has lead to the continuous rise of nationalistic
 elements in the country..

Nice talking to ya'

Edited by Isokrates
"When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a
child; but when I became a man I put away childish things."
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 13:37

I found this very honest and refreshing article written by a Greek author on the exodus of muslims from Macedonia. One of the sections struck me:

http://www.watsoninstitute.org/borderlands/docs/mazowerpaper .doc

As for the hundreds of thousands of Muslim villagers, the tobacco farmers, carters and vegetable gardeners, they were vulnerable even after the fighting ended, and for all the fine words of Greek politicians, they experienced Greek rule very differently. Soon their cemeteries  were being ploughed over, their medresas requisitioned, and sheep and pigs were being sheltered in village mosques. In Serres, the mausoleum of Yusuf Pacha was destroyed and the great mosque of Gazi Evrenos Bey was turned into a hay loft. Villagers began to sell up, according to an observer:

One needed to be at the Serres market last Tuesday to see with ones own eyes how the business is being done. It was impossible not to cry seeing villagers from the purely Muslim villages emptying their stores and coming into Serres to sell up without thinking about the price. I asked all of those who were preparing to emigrate why they were going and they told me, with tears in their eyes and weeping that Were used to living freely and in honour, but seeing how they seize our fields and even enter our homes, we feel life has become impossible for Muslims.[i]

[i] IAM/GDM 76, Oi logoi tis metanasteuseos

In order to erase any indication that there had ever been Muslims in the city, the municipality also decided to demolish the citys minarets, which had been the defining feature of Salonicas skyline, and invited building companies to bid for the work. One after the other, the symbols of a barbarous religion fall crashing to the ground, wrote one journalist. The forest of white minarets is thinning out . The red fezzes are leaving, the yashmaks vanish. What else remains? Nothing. Nothing after some months will remind us that the occupier swaggered through here, shamelessly raising emblems of his faith, sullying magnificent temples of Orthodoxy!. Their threatening height will no longer intimidate us, nor remind us of the former misfortunes of our race, the frightful slavery and the sufferings of their subjects. The voice of the muezzin will no longer bother our ears, and he and his his voice will disappear in the depths of their new country Nothing, nothing at all must remind us again of the epoch of slavery.[i]

[i] Makedonika Nea, 22 March 1924, Minaredes

As I said it is quite an honest description of the events although I find it biased in many respects. First of all there is this air of trying to excuse greek autrocities because of turkish autrocities in Anatolia.

A second reason why I think it is biased is the light in which it paints the Bulgarian occupation and the attitude of the Bulgariana army towards the muslims. In fact from what I know  (and I remember reading it in the Carnegie Reports) the Bulgarians were much more linient towards, though they comiitted horrendous massacres in some cases as well.

I have an uncle from Macedonia, Manastir, and does not think kindly of the Bulgarians, but he recalls that during the Bulgarian occupation the headquaters were in their houses, which was quite big ottoman style house, and they did not harm to anyone.

Edited by bg_turk
bg_turk View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2006 at 13:44

Could you please resize your images before you post them. It makes reading the posts dificult!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>