Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who was the 1st to discover America?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who was the 1st to discover America?
    Posted: 27-May-2008 at 22:21
Originally posted by rider

So... Does this mean our Afrocentrist Penguin used used a racial term to signify the the importance of his own views compared to the scientists who don't believe the African importance on the Americas to be that great?

I'm getting more enlightened with every minute.

You got all upside down.

(1) Sambo is not racial slur. It just means a mixture between Black and Indian, something that is quite common in Guyana, Suriname and the West Indies, from where Van Sertima comes.

(2) Far for considering him stupid, I found him very smart because he found a way to profit from the ignorance of a very large human group: black americans. He sales books distorting history and get a lot of money in the process. The consummer get his pride risen to the sky.
Who cares about truth? Who cares about the heritage of a third world country or third world people like the mayans?

(3) Van Sertima is not scientist.

(4) I am not interesting in fantasies like Afrocentrism, except if they try to robb the heritage of some Iberoamerican peoples.

Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 01:18

Originally posted by red clay

The photos I have been posting are just a few samples of hundreds of works held by museums both in and out of Mexico. I can add that there are many supporters of ethnic diversity among scholars indigenous to the region. I think they have an idea of what they look like.

Interesting pics again. 

The former heads have features that look african,  but wether they 'were 'is an another issue. Some persons dont seem to understand that speaking in terms of 'look' ,' remind of' etc is different from speaking in terms of 'are'. I dont state influence from Africa on this , nor state there was'nt.  I concentrate on other things and the contacts with people from other directions.

Don't pay much attention to the people who believe the Americas evolved in total isolation, their evidence to support denial of outside influence comes through picking what serves their purpose while declaring anything that doesn't very normal, or a hoax.

Indeed. One of the other practices we often see among many isolationists is to pick out some 'extremists ' or new age figures and present them as general academic diffusionsts.

StarStarStar

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Nobody believes the Americas evolved in 'total isolation': Inuits arrived around 2000 years ago, Na Dené peoples probably also arrived after the first wave of Paleonindians, Vikings explored the norteastern coasts of North America and briefly settled there and it seems increasingly likely that also Polynesians visited the Americas several centuries before Columbus.

Phrases like' evolving in total isolation' and terms like isolationism / inventionism refer here to the idea of cultural development of indian societies without any pre columbian inter-continental influence on this. So far, most isolationists dont accept any complex trait as  the result of  such diffusion; hence some use ' total' in this context. Or do you know any complex traits that are regarded as such by them ( lets  say 3000 BC --1492 ) ?

In any case I've never seen a good rebuttal for the strongest argument against any intensive outside (especially African) influence in the Americas: why didn't they carry old world deseases with them?

As soon as intensive contact started after 1492 Smallpox, Yellow fever, Influenza and Measles killed millions of Indians. If Africans would have settled the Americas during say the first millenium BC, why didn't they carry any deseases with them?

Well, Mixcoatl. You seem serious about this but isolationists rarely tell others that its not necessary that contact and/or settlements result in transfer of diseases (and becoming endemic) in the new environment to begin with. Norse are a good example of this and they had contact with natives. What is ' intensive ' is subjective and relative ; trading  might be regarded as intensive enough for a possible transmission of some diseases but that does not have to result in becoming endemic.

Even more striking case and more intensive are the Polynesians. Some 3500 years ago , most of their ancestors (malayo polynesian branch within the Austronesian family) sailed from south east asia/eastern asia (not exactly places falling short of contagious diseaseas) to colonize the Polynesian triangle and transmit items. They took a sort of ark of Noah with them that became rooted there ; fruits, plants, animals ( undoubtely with a lot flees etc ) but not certain SEAN/Old World diseases.

Several cases took care of that old canard that every contact, settlement , diffusion etc needs to go hand in hand with the disease transfer as postulated by the isolationists. Anyhow, the post 1492 period (  and the interactions with the indians ) is not some model for how all contacts should have taken place. Various contacts between different societies and transmitting of cultural  items took place differently in the world.

Edited by Sander - 04-Jun-2008 at 14:56
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 04:13
As I proved in the thread "Amerindians and Inuits in Europe", to prove lack of contact is impossible. However, it is amazing the strong desire of many people to asign the fruits of the civilizations of the Amerindian peoples of the Americas to third parties. Almost any group of the Old World, no matter how primitive theirs ancestors were at the times of glory of the Americas, want to have a part of the pie.

I really wonder why is that. Why so many people what to take from them the legitimate heritage of the Amerindians.

Given that, there are people like me that don't even want to hear about another weird contact theory more.
ehecatzin View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote ehecatzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 04:27
The problem with this theories about pre columbus contact, is that the supporters usually look at their poofs in a very superfitial way, like say the examples already given of sculptures, they may look black to someone that is not very familiarized with racial characteristics of the amerindians, but that's about how far it will go. the same kind of theories also base themselves as superficially on codex, and distorted myths implanted by the Spaniards.

For example in the case of white people amongst the amerindians, diffusionist theorists very often make use of tradition they consider evicence, such as cronicles of the Spanish missionaries claiming Quetzalcoatl was actually St Thomas. (wich have been dismissed as Spanish made up stuff, as we can see a clear progression in the concept in time, as more and more Europeans added their own stuff to the myth)
I've encountered many diffusionists that defend with all passion this white Quetzalcoatl becuse acording to them there's undeniable proof that he must have been from "somewhere else" you will find made up descriptions of the wind God, claiming that he was european based on these guys  interpretation of sculptures and codex...just like the sculptures we saw some pages back.

Anyway I think, that American people's werent isolated from each other, (at least not completely) there's many interesting theories around contact between ameridians, like say Purepechans and Incas, these suppoert themselves on things like the Purepechans being as un-mesoamerican as you could get, using similar clothing to Incas, linguistical similarities, and similar ways of working metal.  Its interesting, but archeologists are still investigating Western Mexico, there's still a lot to be donde before theyc an claim it as true.

You see the problem with diffusionist when it comes to mesoamerica, its that they look for proof to fit their theory, they dont re think the theory to fit the proof, and this is terribly given to wild assumptions, which they are pretty known for.

Lastly as for the sambo thing, its racial, but not in a negative sense (wikipedia isnt that reliable as a source most of the time)  its just to  name a racial mix, just like meztizo or mulato,  nothing wrong with it.

Edited by ehecatzin - 28-May-2008 at 04:29
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 05:14
Originally posted by ehecatzin

The problem with this theories about pre columbus contact, is that the supporters usually look at their poofs in a very superfitial way, like say the examples already given of sculptures, they may look black to someone that is not very familiarized with racial characteristics of the amerindians, but that's about how far it will go. the same kind of theories also base themselves as superficially on codex, and distorted myths implanted by the Spaniards.

Absolutely. Even more. The problem is that almost 99% of the people that propose pre-contact theories are completely ignorant about the pre-columbian historhy of the Americas. They lack the knowledge about the evolution of cultures and civilizations of the Americas that is as complex as the development of the old world. They have no idea of the concept of horizon, for example. They have never read transcriptions of Maya writings, or studies on maya arithmetics and geometry. They have no idea about the evolutions of culture in Peru, or about the genetical studies in modern Amerindian and mixed populations. 

In the end, when they finally mount theirs wild theories, theirs ideas show ignorance fully, simply because they have never studied the Americas. Even more, they have no idea that the pre-contact history of the Americas is a very advanced field of research, where some of the brightest mind of the world have already solved many misteries. For instance, myth tellers don't know that today's Mayan history can be read directly from the stelaes.

Anyway I think, that American people's werent isolated from each other, (at least not completely) there's many interesting theories around contact between ameridians, like say Purepechans and Incas, these suppoert themselves on things like the Purepechans being as un-mesoamerican as you could get, using similar clothing to Incas, linguistical similarities, and similar ways of working metal.  Its interesting, but archeologists are still investigating Western Mexico, there's still a lot to be donde before theyc an claim it as true.

Absolutely. One of the most exciting areas of research in the Americas these times are the internal migrations and trading routes in the Americas. Today it is known that Tainos were an Arawak group that started its migration from Venezuela and peopled all the Caribbean, and also visited Mesoamerica and Florida!  It is also suspected that some Peruvian cultures as Chavin come from the Amazon. Even more, today it is known that Mesoamerica and Peru had regular trade by balsa rafts. And nobody doubt that some influences also existed between Mexico and North America and viceversa.

It seems that all ancient American cultures were conected in a network of trade. For instance, Columbus knew about Mesoamerica in Cuba, and Pizarro got news about the Inca while in Panama! 

You see the problem with diffusionist when it comes to mesoamerica, its that they look for proof to fit their theory, they dont re think the theory to fit the proof, and this is terribly given to wild assumptions, which they are pretty known for.

Absolutely. Wild assumptions that always crash head on with what is already known. For instance, Olmecs are nothing special in Mesoamerica today but a stage more in the evolution of societies in that region. A process that started long before the Olmecs. Even more, those "especulators" ignore there were many other civilizations quite older than the Olmecs in the Americas, particularly in Peru. And they also ignore that current theories are researching the influences in earlier civilizations from the Amazons to Peru and from Peru to Mesoamerica. Scientists are very excited with those research that the "wild theories" looks like child play in comparison.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 11:28
Well, Mixcoatl. You seem serious about this but isolationists rarely tell others that its not necessary that contact and/or settlements result in transfer of diseases (and becoming endemic) in the new environment to begin with. Norse are a good example of this and they had contact with natives. What is ' intensive ' is subjective and relative ; trading  might be regarded as intensive enough for a possible transmission of some diseases but that does not have to result in becoming endemic.

Even more striking case and more intensive are the Polynesians. Some 3500 years ago , most of their ancestors (malayo polynesian branch within the Austronesian family) sailed from south east asia/eastern asia (not exactly places falling short of contagious diseaseas) to colonize the Polynesian triangle and transmit items. They took a sort of ark of Noah with them that became rooted there ; fruits, plants, animals ( undoubtely with a lot flees etc ) but not certain SEAN/Old World diseases.

Several cases took care of that old canard that every contact, settlement , diffusion etc needs to go hand in hand with the disease transfer as postulated by the isolationists. Anyhow, the post 1492 period (  and the interactions with the indians ) is not some model for how all contacts should have taken place. Various contacts between different societies and transmitting of cultural  items took place differently in the world.

It's true that intensivity is the problem here, but in any case a contact so intensive that the newcomers would start civilizations and get massive heads made of them would be intensive enough to carry deseases.

Polynesians contacts were in any case very limited, and if they ended up in South America island hopping in small groups (like they ended up in Easter Island) makes the possbility that they carried desease with them even smaller.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't know much about biology, but I believe trasmitting deseases is harder in cold climates, because bacteria tend to survive badly outside human bodies in the cold. That could be an explanation for the fact that Vikings (and Na-Dené and Eskimos) didn't carry deseases with them.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 12:42
Well, your own post referred to the fact that you are an Afrocentrist... I won't try to argue with you since it's pointless.

Oh, and about distorting history... I guess you know all about that?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2008 at 15:25

..It's true that intensivity is the problem here, but in any case a contact so intensive that the newcomers would start civilizations and get massive heads made of them would be intensive enough to carry deseases.

Polynesians contacts were in any case very limited, and if they ended up in South America island hopping in small groups (like they ended up in Easter Island) makes the possbility that they carried desease with them even smaller.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't know much about biology, but I believe trasmitting deseases is harder in cold climates, because bacteria tend to survive badly outside human bodies in the cold. That could be an explanation for the fact that Vikings (and Na-Dené and Eskimos) didn't carry deseases with them.

With respect to Polynesians, I have to recall you guys they were as much isolated from the Old World populations like Native Americans. In fact, Polynesians suffered quite a lot from the contagious diseases brought by Europeans at contact time. Therefore, even with massive contact, they weren't carriers of the dangerous illness that devasted the Americas. The people infested with those diseases where Europeans and Africans. They were the carriers of death.

With respect to Vikings, they were so few and the contacts were so much sporadical that they hardly had a chance to transmit them to the indigenous populations.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 05:20

It's true that intensivity is the problem here, but in any case a contact so intensive that the newcomers would start civilizations and get massive heads made of them would be intensive enough to carry deseases.

To Mixcoatl :

Cold aint the main issue here. Even if the norse would have inflicted a few natives with something , a sort of chain reaction aint needed at all. The basic rule is that in new environment every infected person should affect one other on average within some time. If not, the disease wont survive for long and dies out ( see keywords' endemic' and 'basic reproduction number' ).

regarding the mentioned 1492 and the following period. This was of a totally different scale. Soon, 1000 s other arrived in meso america etc ( spending weeks on ships that were floating breeding grounds ). Most important , they intruded the indian societies where ever they could, killing and capturing 10.000s and other things not needed ro relate. With such enormous pressure on the indian societies the diseases did pread quickly and established themselves.

Star

Some comments about isolationism (the idea/ suggestion of independent parallel evolutiom of complex socities and the similar complex cultural traits) . It serves as theoretical alternative for a widely attested process, diffusion ( the process by which complex culture traits are transferred from one society to another, via migrations, trade, war, or other contacts ).

One of the problems is that this suggested phenemenon ( isolationism ) itself does not parallels itself in the world . A theoretical process is suggested as explanation for America, but when asked for genuine proof, where and when the process is ever attested before , the results are empty hands and theories. ( Some isolationsts might even answer : the Americas . In other words,  the proposed explanation is presented as the evidence for the proposal !  How more circular can it get?!)

When its comes to diffusion as proposed mechanism,  we deal with an existing phenomenon , attested for millenia . Its role in transmission of complex cultural items is also obvious today. Of course, how else can it be said to be universal and fundamental in cultural development if not attested  before and also today continously?

Acknowledging the process itself and the role its plays , is regardless of any specific donor area-reciever suggestion  for a shared trait or complex. In other words, wether or not a cultural item diffused from China , viceversa, or from else where can be details of historical interest but not important for stating diffusion as the fundamental mechanism. 

The socalled independent  parrelel cultural evoltution as explanation had its heyday in the late 1800 s, untill it was challenged by the more empirical minded scholars. The heaviest battles between the isolationist and diffusionist school were fought in the early and mid 1900s (modern studies will often refer to the  classic debates ). But, inspite the idea itself lacked/s demonstrability ( in contrast to the concept of diffusion ) it  has its supporters /believers, but so  have  religions.

PS :" why do people  think indians are savages ?  etc "  stuff aint interesting but  good comments are .  

Edited by Sander - 17-Jun-2008 at 05:37
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 05:37
Originally posted by Sander

....Some comments about isolationism (the idea/ suggestion of independent parallel evolutiom of complex socities and the similar complex cultural traits) . It serves as theoretical alternative for a widely attested process, diffusion ( the process by which complex culture traits are transferred from one society to another, via migrations, trade, war, or other contacts ).

One of the problems is that this suggested phenemenon ( isolationism ) itself does not parallels itself in the world . A theoretical process is suggested as explanation for America, but when asked for genuine proof, where and when the process is ever attested before , the results are empty hands and theories. ( Some isolationsts might even answer : the Americas . In other words,  the proposed explanation is presented as the evidence for the proposal !  How more circular can it get?!)

When its comes to diffusion as proposed mechanism,  we deal with an existing phenomenon , attested for millenia . Its role in transmission of complex cultural items is also obvious today. Of course, how else can it be said to be universal and fundamental in cultural development if not attested  before and also today continously?

Acknowledging the process itself and the role its plays , is regardless of any specific donor area-reciever suggestion  for a shared trait or complex. In other words, wether or not a cultural item diffused from for China , viceversa, or from else where can be details of historical interest but not important for stating diffusion as the fundamental mechanism. 

The socalled independent  parrelel cultural evoltution as explanation had its heyday in the late 1800 s, untill it was challenged by the more empirical minded scholars. The heaviest battles between the isolationist and diffusionist school were fought in the early and mid 1900s (modern studies will often refer to the  classic debates ). But, inspite the idea itself lacked/s demonstrability ( in contrast to the concept of diffusion ) it  has its supporters /believers, but so  have  religions.

The problem with your argument is that you are telling us a dogma, rather than a scientific truth. The fact is, there is no need to prove isolation (it is impossible) what you need is to prove CONTACT..

So far, there is no evidence of ANY significative contact or foreign influence in the development of civilizations in the Americas.

You can't extrapolate the experience of Eurasia-Africa to the Americas. In the old world it is easy to prove contact. The African goats, bananas and marimbas came from outside Africa. The Chinese wheels and horses came from the West! etc.

In the case of the Americas or Australia, the very sporadical contacts have not influenced the developed of cultures and inventions whatsoever. Everything the Americas had was locally invented or discovered. Even more, some basic things weren't discovered in the Americas! That's the mainstream opinion, no matter during five centuries some people have wanted to prove otherwise Wink

Edited by pinguin - 17-Jun-2008 at 05:38
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 06:51
LOL
Originally posted by pinguin

The problem with your argument is that you are telling us a dogma, rather than a scientific truth. The fact is, there is no need to prove isolation (it is impossible) what you need is to prove CONTACT..

Its the other way around. The process of Diffusion exists . We haven't attested else.

Its the theory of  ' Independent parallel evolution' that is the dogma here. A belief in some process which is never attested nor scientifically demonstrated. 

PS : You re not familair with some terms and what they stand for.  Read the postings and see to what isolationism/ists  refers.  Hint ; its explained between brackets. If you stilll cant find it or follow , look in some other postings where its explained too. 

Edited by Sander - 17-Jun-2008 at 08:34
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2008 at 12:18
Its the other way around. The process of Diffusion exists . We haven't attested else.

Its the theory of  ' Independent parallel evolution' that is the dogma here. A belief in some process which is never attested nor scientifically demonstrated.

But there are examples of 'independent parallel evolution'. China and Europe for example invented many of the same things independently.

And even if we use a less narrow definition: every invention or introduction could be seen as an 'isolationist development'. Somewhere someplace writing was invented, the people who invented it couldn't possibily have been influeced by other people, simply because there were no other people who used writing yet. And if writing (or agriculture, the wheel, certain patterns of art, etc.) can be invented once, why would it impossible to invent it a second time?

Edited by Mixcoatl - 17-Jun-2008 at 12:18
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 01:25

Its the other way around.

That is just your opinion. It doesn't mean it is really the other way around at all.

The process of Diffusion exists . We haven't attested else.

Nobody denies diffusion (why the uppercase?) exists. The problem is that there is an extremist though derivated from that obvious idea. That's is the dogma that says "everything was invented only once". Some people have the idea that every single invention was invented by a single inventor and then spread from a single point to everywhere in the world.

That MAY BE the case of a large number of inventions, but there are lot of evidence that even in modern times, parallel inventions are nothing extraordinary at all. In fact, pattent offices are necessary precisely because parallel inventions do exist!

Absolutely false. Parallel inventions exist. The patent offices are plenty of them. Just an example: the computability theory was shown at once by Turing and two other guys I don't recall at this moment.

PS : You re not familair with some terms and what they stand for.  Read the postings and see to what isolationism/ists  refers.  Hint ; its explained between brackets. If you stilll cant find it or follow , look in some other postings where its explained too. 

I am not as ignorant as you pretend. Actually, the concept of an isolated America is not my wish, but what shows easily to anybody that studies the precolumbian development of the Americas... given it doesn't carry new-age fantasies in its mind that twist its judgment, of course. LOL

Edited by pinguin - 18-Jun-2008 at 01:43
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 01:34

But there are examples of 'independent parallel evolution'. China and Europe for example invented many of the same things independently.

And even if we use a less narrow definition: every invention or introduction could be seen as an 'isolationist development'. Somewhere someplace writing was invented, the people who invented it couldn't possibily have been influeced by other people, simply because there were no other people who used writing yet. And if writing (or agriculture, the wheel, certain patterns of art, etc.) can be invented once, why would it impossible to invent it a second time?

Absolutely.

Examples of American and the Old World's parallel inventions and discoveries are many. These are some examples:

(1) Paper: Mayans and China

(2) Zero: Mayans and India, Mayans were first.

(3) Phi (divine proportion): Mayans and Greeks

(4) parchesi-Patolli boards: Mayans and India

(5) Hunging bridges: China and Peru

(6) Cotton: Peru and India

(7) Syringe: North Americans and Arabs

(8) inflatable boats: Sumer and Chonos (Chile)

(9) Hieroglyph writing: China, Sumer, Olmecs

(10) Magnetic compass: Olmecs, China

(11) sail: Middle East, Peru

(12) Concave bronze mirrors to light fires: Greece, Peru

(13) Hydraulic toys: Alexandria, Peru

Well, I could be all the night writing about parallel inventions. People that believe in diffusion to explain everything simply can't explain why the wheel wasn't used in the Americas, why cheese wasn't discovered, or why no horse, cow, sheep, pig or goat ever arrived to the Americas before Columbus.

Edited by pinguin - 18-Jun-2008 at 01:36
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 02:10
People that believe in diffusion to explain everything simply can't explain why the wheel wasn't used in the Americas, why cheese wasn't discovered, or why no horse, cow, sheep, pig or goat ever arrived to the Americas before Columbus.

And neither can you.  So, it's a wash. Big%20smile

I am really impressed by that list Omar.  It's the strongest argument for diffusion I've seen in a while.Approve

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 04:29
Of course I can prove why the wheel wasn't used in the Americas... Nobody had that idea, except for children toys, and nobody saw foreigners using wheels.... With respect to cheese is easy. Natives didn't have animal milk before the comming of the Europeans.

With respect to diffusion.... well, the cotton textiles, zero, syringes and perhaps paper where invented in the Americas BEFORE the Old World. If you want to believe those inventions spread from the Americas to the old world by way of Taino canoes.... well, that's your choice. Thumbs%20Up
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 10:41
Of course I can prove why the wheel wasn't used in the Americas... Nobody had that idea, except for children toys, and nobody saw foreigners using wheels.... With respect to cheese is easy. Natives didn't have animal milk before the comming of the Europeans. 

Where is your proof?  Where are your references?

Natives had Llamas, Alpacas and Vicunas. Your telling me that they didn't milk them until the Euros showed them how?

Edited by red clay - 18-Jun-2008 at 10:59
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2008 at 15:38

Where is your proof?  Where are your references?

What proof do you need. Be specific.

Natives had Llamas, Alpacas and Vicunas. Your telling me that they didn't milk them until the Euros showed them how?

Nope. As far as I Know. You have to realize that andes camelids aren't mass producing milk animals, like cows or goats.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 04:56
Of course I can prove why the wheel wasn't used in the Americas... Nobody had that idea, except for children toys, and nobody saw foreigners using wheels.... With respect to cheese is easy. Natives didn't have animal milk before the comming of the Europeans

support this with facts, verifiable peer reviewed would be nice.Smile 

And I'm aware that Camelids do not produce as much as other animals.  However they can produce more with a particular diet.  The source for that is the guy who used to own a LLama and Ostrich ranchConfused about 5 mi. down the road from me.Big%20smile Best I can do.
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jun-2008 at 05:27

Of course I can prove why the wheel wasn't used in the Americas... Nobody had that idea, except for children toys, and nobody saw foreigners using wheels.... With respect to cheese is easy. Natives didn't have animal milk before the comming of the Europeans
  support this with facts, verifiable peer reviewed would be nice.Smile 

Here it is a little resume about all what it is known about wheels in the Americas. There is no evidence of using it outside toys, spindles and maces

With respect to cheese, look at these:

Oaxaca Cheese

Cheese and cheese making came to Mexico with the arrival of the Spanish, who brought cows and goats.

And these:

Until its modern spread along with European culture, cheese was nearly unheard of in oriental cultures, uninvented in the pre-Columbian Americas, and of only limited use in sub-mediterranean Africa, mainly being widespread and popular only in Europe and areas influenced strongly by its cultures.

what else do you need? 

And I'm aware that Camelids do not produce as much as other animals.  However they can produce more with a particular diet.  The source for that is the guy who used to own a LLama and Ostrich ranchConfused about 5 mi. down the road from me.Big%20smile Best I can do.

That's not a very solid argument. Modern people do quite weird things with animals. For instance, I have never seen Zulues riding ostriches like some westerners do LOL

Edited by pinguin - 19-Jun-2008 at 05:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>