Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is Latin America Western?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Poll Question: Is Latin America Western?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
29 [50.88%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [8.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.75%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [28.07%]
6 [10.53%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Latin America Western?
    Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 13:06
Originally posted by Bulldog

The thing is, the UK, U.S or any other Western country isn't fixated about being "Western", they don't need to proove their Westerness to anybody. If you have to try an "convince" people your Western, there is obviously a problem. Anyone that has to try and "proove" their place in a club is never really a part of that club.

Latin American cultures arn't similar to that of Italy, Italy has its own culture and even sub cultures.

That's because you don't know Italian culture, in particular the role of the family and religion. Just read the beginning of the thread and you will learn something. Italians are the second largest group of European immigrants in Latin America.

Well there is hardly any Spanish hatred among the people, media or government, your confusing Spain with France or Germany.

Hatred, perhaps not, but what I see is that for British people, Spain is a land to make fun of it.

Tell an Italian, Portuguese, French and Spaniard that they're all the same LOL

With Spaniards there is no problem. We are buddies. Italians depends if they are back home or comming here. French, you well know they are bipollar in identity. And with respect to Portuguese, we all look  it as a poor European country Confused

I said countless times I am really interested by the old history of Latin America, admire the culture and have friends from the region.

We also admire our Pre-Hispanic civilizations in the Americas. We are proud of them. But they are gone. People was assimilated, immigrants came, we mix, the Europeans impossed theirs language, religion, culture, science and forms of government.
So, at least you are a tourist, and archaeologist, or interested in the indigenous minorities, you won't find much left here.

Saying Latin America is not Western is not discrimination or hatred, its a view, to me Latin America is unique its Latin American, has aspects of the West, aspects of Amerindians, aspects of other cultures and is itself and doesn't need to be like anybody else. But that's just my opinion and its not an insult or slur as I don't believe the West or anybody else is "superior".

Saying that may be not discrimination or hatred. Just ignorance.

Not being Western is not an insult or discrimination, anybody who thinks it is has an inferiority complex.

That's a fallacy. I could say "anybody that thinks Latin America is not Western is an ignorant". So, I could put you in the same rethoric trap.

QUOTE=Bulldog]
P.s Spain looks down upon and is far more disciminatory towards Latin Americans than any other European country, I have Spanish friends and their views on Latin Americans are less than favourable. Its not Britain you should be pointing fingers at i this case.
.[/quote]
Bigots exists everywhere, even in Spain, who has been accepted as European so few years ago.

Why do you want to be Western so much when you can't stand them.

Not all Westerners are British... In fact, large segments of our populations are Europeans, and we don't have the class of discrimination you make in here.
In any case, get accustom to a blurred definition of Westerner now that the native British population of Britain is becoming extinct Wink
In fact, pretty soon we will have in Latin America more European blood than you in London Big smile

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 13:10
Originally posted by pebbles

...Nowhere in America reminds any European of it's Europe or Britain.1950's was the last decade of Eurocentrism in America.

I've read countless comments written by British and continental Europeans that they felt like in an " alien " culture or " foreign " country during their visit in the USA.

There even some song that talks about it..

What Europeans don't know is that the societies of the Americas has always been multicultural and multiracial, like the Ancient Roman Empire. And not less Western because of that.

Curiosly, when a Spanish, Portuguese or Italian come to Latin America (Chile, for example) they feel at home.

Edited by pinguin - 19-Mar-2009 at 13:11
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 13:34
With Spaniards there is no problem. We are buddies.

So that's why they regularly beat up Ecuadoran immigrants in Spain?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 13:43
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

With Spaniards there is no problem. We are buddies.

So that's why they regularly beat up Ecuadoran immigrants in Spain?

You don't know how much we, Latinos, humilliate Spaniards because of that shameful event at the subway. Attacks against immigrants happens here in Latin America as well. They happen in Mexico against central Americans, and in every single South American country.
People don't want poors to invade theirs countries, I am afraid.

Edited by pinguin - 19-Mar-2009 at 13:44
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 16:59
Pinguin
That's because you don't know Italian culture, in particular the role of the family and religion.

Every country in the Mediterannean, Middle East, Islamic world and some Orthodox countries ahve the same values when it comes to family and religion.

Pinguin
So, at least you are a tourist, and archaeologist, or interested in the indigenous minorities, you won't find much left here.

Not much left? you have countries with indegenous majorities and countries where White Europeans are a minority in parts of Latin America so there is alot left.

Pinguin
Bigots exists everywhere, even in Spain, who has been accepted as European so few years ago.

So why focus all the aggresion against Britain? its people in Spain who have a problem with Latin Americans and Portugues and Brazillians that have their issues.

Pinguin
In any case, get accustom to a blurred definition of Westerner now that the native British population of Britain is becoming extinct Wink

LOL

Pinguin
In fact, pretty soon we will have in Latin America more European blood than you in London Big smile

I highly doubt it, White Europeans are 40% in Latin America, there are over 60 million Amerindians and most peoples are mixed.

What would it matter anyway, blood doesn't make peole who they are, its what they do that counts.

Pinguin
You don't know how much we, Latinos, humilliate Spaniards because of that shameful event at the subway.

Confused

Edited by Bulldog - 19-Mar-2009 at 17:01
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2009 at 17:10

Every country in the Mediterannean, Middle East, Islamic world and some Orthodox countries ahve the same values when it comes to family and religion.

Of course. And every single country that was part of the Classic World.

Not much left? you have countries with indegenous majorities and countries where White Europeans are a minority in parts of Latin America so there is alot left.

There are 70 million pure and mixed Indigenous people in Latin America, that have an Amerindian culture and speak a native language. That's more than the population of Britain! However, in here just represent the 11% of the population.

So why focus all the aggresion against Britain? its people in Spain who have a problem with Latin Americans and Portugues and Brazillians that have their issues.

What aggresion? I have friends in Spain, indeed. I publish my works there and I discuss in theirs forums... we are the same people, more or less Wink

I highly doubt it, White Europeans are 40% in Latin America, there are over 60 million Amerindians and most peoples are mixed.

In Chile the 80% of the people have Amerindian mtDNA and the 80% of the chromosomes are European. Argentineans mtDNA is also 50% Indigenous Confused... So, percentages don't add easy. If you come here you will find more "westerners" than in London LOL

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 00:36

Originally posted by pinguin

Hatred, perhaps not, but what I see is that for British people, Spain is a land to make fun of it.

Well, they don't make fun of Spain as often as they make fun of the French or the Irish or the Germans or the Americans.

And I think that you really don't understand the British. If they didn't make fun of Spain, it would be discriminatory, because they make fun of every country on Earth. They make even make fun of other countries within the UK (Scots vs English), other parts of their own country (North England vs Southern England), and even different cities in the same part of the UK often have huge rivalries and stereotypes about each other - that does, on occasion, involve riots (over sports).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 00:41

That's wasn't what I meant.

Anyways, I have nothing against British people, but I was arguing with a single guy in this thread who thinks Latin America should forget its roots in Europe.

I do have something against the British government that wants to claim the Antartic for them, forgetting its former allied country in the region, but that's another matter.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 00:46

You don't know how much we, Latinos, humilliate Spaniards because of that shameful event at the subway. Attacks against immigrants happens here in Latin America as well. They happen in Mexico against central Americans, and in every single South American country.

So if Anglo-Americans do it's a sign of hispanophobia but if the Spaniards to it it's not the point?

I do have something against the British government that wants to claim the Antartic for them, forgetting its former allied country in the region, but that's another matter.

Of course it's ridiculous that Britain claims a part of the Antarctic.

Just like it's ridiculous that Chile and Argentina claim parts of the Antarctic.

All claims are suspended by international treaty. I don't see why one claim would be less justified than any other.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 01:06
Originally posted by edgewaters

Now I'd understand a bit if you were talking about the Americans, being as Latinos are an underclass as the US and there is a good degree of socioeconomic and geopolitical conflict between Latin Americans and US Americans but ....

That's another topic. The problems with the U.S. has been very real and motivated by the foreign politic of that country. However, to be sincere, the tensions have gone down quite a bit in the last decade. Today what exists is mainly indiference.
With respect to the Hispanics in the U.S., the problem is they aren't organized as yet as they should. The protests they made during the Bush government was the first time they tried to resort to theirs political muscle. The second time was when they voted in mass for Obama. I think Hispanics in the U.S. will become more respected and strong as time goes by.

From the British??!!??

Perhaps not in a thought manner. It is something that comes from the stereotypes that culture has about us. For instance, it seem that the only purpose of Spain in life it was to be defeated during the Spanish Armada affair LOL

Pinguin, the British don't have any particular hostility towards Latin Americans at all - in fact, they generally regard Latin America as a rather interesting (if dangerous) place to visit. They have a few stereotypes regarding the Spanish, but these mostly belong to a generation that has passed on and generally refer to a Spain of the past i.e. Spain of the 1500s and 1600s. There is no great national rivalry with Spain, nothing even remotely approaching the great national rivalry the British have with France or Ireland or Germany or even amongst themselves (ie Scotland vs England, and Northern England vs Southern England).

Actually, Spain and Latin America has always been at the side of the Irish. Curiously enough, perhaps the Irish don't know it.

The war with Argentina was not a matter of bigotry, it was a simple territorial dispute with an Argentinian military regime that attempted to seize land inhabited by English speaking people. It could have been a dispute with any similar sort of country. It could have happened between, say, Canada and France if Canada attempted to seize St. Pierre and Miquelon by military force - there is no doubt whatsoever that France would respond with armed force.

At that time Chile helped Britain in several ways, because just a few years earlier Argentina wanted to invade us, and we were at minutes of large scale war.

Thousands of volunteers from the UK went to fight and die in the International Brigades during the Spanish Civil War, so obviously the British have little innate hostility. Some of them were quite famous cultural figures, such as George Orwell and John Cornford. There is no mention from this time period of the volunteers being maligned at home for fighting alongside Spanish people, for a Spanish cause. They were maligned for being communists and anarchists, but that is about all, and they are not generally maligned today. There is even a monument to them in London:

British (and American) society didn't exactly cheer when the Luftwaffe bombed Guernica, either. They were utterly horrified and outraged.

Yes, I know. Chileans also went there to fight. I bet, decent people of those times tried to do something to stop fascism.

I might also note that it's mostly British genetic scientists and authors, such as Stephen Oppenheimer and Brian Sykes, who are pioneering the theory that the closest genetic relatives of the British isles in Europe are not in Germany or France - but in Iberia.

Indeed. It is interesting scientists are finally proving something we knew since long ago. There are many Brits, particularly Celt descendents, that have a Spanish look LOL... Amazing, isn't? But If you have seen Julio Iglesias, or have heared a Galician piper, you could have figure it out

Indeed, your bigotry detector ought to be pointing its finger at you. This old bugbear of the evil, scheming, hateful "Gringo" appears to be alive and well in you.

That's too much. It was just a excess of heat in an argument. How could Hispanics forget theirs ancestors, given we still have the names of grandparents or great grandparents that came from Europe. Of course we have Indigenous and other bloods at the same time. But saying that we are a people allien to europe it is, perhaps, not bigotry but it must be ignorance.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 01:13

So if Anglo-Americans do it's a sign of hispanophobia but if the Spaniards to it it's not the point?

It is not the point. I have never said there is not Xenophobia inside our region, and between our countries. In fact, Mexicans in the U.S. are usually treated better than Salvadorians in Mexico! In places like Argentina or Chile, the immigrants from Peru, Bolivia and Paraguay aren't very welcome either. In the Hispanic Caribbean, Haitians aren't welcome. Etc. In Latin America there are even Neonazi movements, and those activists are mestizo Confused. If you want to argue about it, just open other thread and I follow you.

The thread, though is about if Latin American is western or not.

Of course it's ridiculous that Britain claims a part of the Antarctic.

Just like it's ridiculous that Chile and Argentina claim parts of the Antarctic.

All claims are suspended by international treaty. I don't see why one claim would be less justified than any other.

Of course I agree with that.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2009 at 08:45

The thing is, the UK, U.S or any other Western country isn't fixated about being "Western", they don't need to prove their Westerness to anybody.

If you have to try an "convince" people your Western, there is obviously a problem. Anyone that has to try and "prove" their place in a club is never really a part of that club.

Not being Western is not an insult or discrimination, anybody who thinks it is has an inferiority complex.

That's a fallacy. I could say "anybody that thinks Latin America is not Western is an ignorant". 

Well,it's undisputed fact that US ( not sure about the UK and continent Europe ) has obsessive fixation of imposing " the West " & " Western standard " on non-Europe nations and peoples.

For a long time in the past,American-born ethnic Asians in journalistic field were given assignments by the Western-interest-controlled ( US ) news media outlets to only report about poverty and non-existence of middle-class just malnourished backward Asian folks in the Far East so they could project negative images of Asia to the world.

Aggressive in-your-face tactics.Bigotry rears its ugly head.

It's working wonderfully for Japan.That country succeeded by obtain a " token LOL " membership in the Western Civilization club.The other 2 East Asian nationalities have been regard Japanese are psychologically imbalanced Orientals ( surely,something wrong with the Japanese ).Some sinophobic foreign Japanophiles adore them though Confused.

Clearly,it's racially & politically motivated hypocrisy !

Edited by pebbles - 20-Mar-2009 at 12:37
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2009 at 00:13

It is hypocresy, indeed.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 18:06
Latin America is Latin America. There isn't really any point in trying to categorize it as "western" or "eastern," both because it really isn't--it's a melting pot, in many ways even more so than North America--and because those classifications are fundamentally flawed in and of themselves.

Latin America is what happens when you mix Amerindian, Spanish, Portuguese, African, and a vast number of other cultures together.

If you mean "western" in terms of the stereotypical "individualistic, revolutionary, dynamic" ideal, then yes. But it's rather pointless to compare the world in terms of West and East. And it allows too much polarization.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 18:10

Interesting oppinion. However, in our point of view, Latin America is Western and period.

With respect to the racial problem that throubles so much Europeans, Canadians and U.S. people, it is enough to say there are more European chromosomes in many countries of Latin America than in places like Vancouver, New Orleans, Washington DC and most North America.

So, if North Americans are Westerners so we are. Otherwise any of us are, and period. But, please, stop the double standard.

Edited by pinguin - 24-Mar-2009 at 18:11
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 18:15

Interesting oppinion. However, in our point of view, Latin America is Western and period

Suppose I can't argue with that. The very idea that there's some nebulous "type" that is "western" out there has always seemed strange to me, however. There's enough difference in culture between Kansas and Washington to classify them as different; the gulfs between even countries that are both supposedly "western" is even larger. 

I have to wonder, Pinguin, if the answer would be the same across the board in Latin America. No offense, but Chile is not necessarily representative of the whole. If I had to pick the MOST "western" countries in Latin America, Chile would definitely be somewhere near the top of the list--so there may be a little bias (not the bad kind) on your part.

Then again, I'm a native of the Northwest US. What do I know? :D

Edited by TheARRGH - 24-Mar-2009 at 18:18
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 18:28

I just follow the definition. Latin America has all the heritage and customs of the Western Civilization so it is western. Even in genetics, although mixed, most people can trace its ancestry to Europe.

That doesn't mean there isn't other civilizations and cultures in Latin America that have a major role in the development. There are, and they are very present in our mind and heart.

However, ours is also the heritage of Iberia, the former favorite province of the Roman Empire. And what more Westerner than that.

Yes, we are considered the bastard people of the Western world, and poor on top of that, and  therefore excluded. But I could bet the real and deep Western culture is more alive in Latin America than even in Europe; which has switched to Hippie culture.

By the way, if you are native, please take a look about the Baroque Music of South America in another thread. There you'll know what I mean.

goldenstar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 19:03

Curious. In southern South America, where I live, we still remember when we received the "poor" of Europe by the million. Well, I guess they want to forget us now.

Probably people do not necessarilly know that dozens of millions of people in South America are of European ancestry. I am not an expert but I wonder if people ever know half Mexicans are part Spanish, they're always regarded as exotic people with stereotypes just like Cubans.

Fortunatelly for us, our continent today is a lot less poor than in the 40s, we have a better standard of living than in the 70s and we are quite sure in some decades we will be fine.

The video I saw about Chile showed a very beautiful and developed country, it doesn't seem poor, but I wasn't there unfortunately.

Latin Americans (Not that I share it, but is what people say) see the U.S. like an imperialistic and agresive country, and Europe like a place in decline.

Pinguin

LOL

I cannot talk for all Europe, but in France countries like Bolivia, Mexico, or Peru, or any non-White countries, are not seen as part of the Western World at all, at least in the medias. Even Latin America is synonym of a foreign thing in the medias, like the ethnicity Latino.

Brazil seems very exotic too to us, and it is one of the biggest symbol of South America, I do not mean Europeans are racist but to many of them if not most of them, Black and mixed people who do not have an European culture are alien to the Western world.

By contrast, a country like Argentina seems to have a similar statut as that of Eastern Europe, a "White state" but poorer and "less democratic", many Eastern European states became part of the West after the collapse of USSR by joining the European Union while they were once considered as alien communist entities.

It is as you said both poverty and the non-White blood that make people see them as non-Western, unlike Canada and the U.S.A, Australia, and new Zaeland.

By the way, I wonder if all people from Northern Europe see Spain and Italy as Western people.

The Carribeans are also a region of South America that contribute to make people see it as non-Western, Black countries like Haiti, Dominican Republic, or French Carribeans and French Guyanne are not very Western in term of culture, actually they're not Western at all I think, based on the images we see of them (my sisters also recently traveled there and told me about it).

My opinion, but it is only personal, is some countries in Latin America are European in culture, some are not.

Edited by goldenstar - 24-Mar-2009 at 19:14
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 19:13
The most pathetic thing is that Germanics are newcommers to Western Civilization. And now they dictate the rules about who is and who is not. Pathetic.
goldenstar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote goldenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 19:16

The most pathetic thing is that Germanics are newcommers to Western Civilization. And now they dictate the rules about who is and who is not. Pathetic.

It is true, the original Western world was Southern Europe, Rome and Greece, but today Northerners have the monopoly of this expression.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>