Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Top 100 Generals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 128>
Author
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 100 Generals
    Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 09:10
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Heraclius is that Byzantine Emperor who was defeated by Persians in several battles such as The Battle of Jerusalem (614 AD) or The Battle of Alexandria (619 AD).

It seems to be better that I don't waste my time in this thread!

In collaboration with Praetor, we just had to pick up on a few things:

Herakleios firstly, was not even at the Siege of Jerusalem in 614AD. He was Emperor at the time. The only he time he was at Jerusalem was when he recaptured it from the Persians fifteen or so years later.

Secondly, from the conflicting sources on the date of the Battle of Alexandria, none have talked of Herakleios's presence. Yes he was Emperor at the time, but he was not present. If some sources are to be believed, he was present at the recapture of Alexandria, but I am uncertain.

So the two battles you just downplayed Herakleios for losing to the Persians, he in fact was not even at. Herakleios deserves his spot in the top 20, or even top 15.

Regards,

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 08-Apr-2008 at 09:15
Samara View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Samara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 11:41
Originally posted by Temujin

I am very close to "locking in" the top 2 tiers, unless at some later date a very strong argument can be made to move someone into or out of these top 2 tiers.  Here is the way the top 2 tiers look right now.  Any objections that don't have a counter-argument just as strong?

i feel both Marlborough and Suvorov are too high (compared to their neighbours and wherecomparable commanders are).

Suvorov have a good place, his campaign of italia against french troop are perfect, campaign against Turkey too, i am sure that he could stop napoleon if he survived.
But i am agree with Marlborough, Maurice of Saxe is better.

"All is loose, just the honour"

Francis in the battle of Pavia
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 19:10
Originally posted by deadkenny

No need to say 'sorry' to me, I didn't write it.  Was there any reason why you labelled it as 'not very good', other than the usual - that you don't agree with it.

primarily his assessment of Wellignton and lack of knowledge about Napoleons/Neys plan. he critizied the Anglo-Dutch Army arriving peacemeal - same goes for Neys forces. he mentioned Wellington at an disatvantage due to terrain. well, of course he didin't choose the ground, btu neitehr did Ney. also, he critizied the terrain not beign sutied for manoeuvres. well, Wellington was obviously not from the school of manoeuvre warfare and all he had to do was to hold firm, soemthign he was skilled at.

as for Ligny and the strategical outline. looking at the battle of Ligny, it was far from a real victory for Napoleon, in fact he was in the defensive and all he did was repulsing Prussian assaults and then drivign them off with his reserves. the I Corps d'Erlon was supposed to intervene on the left flank and if possible inflict a more serious defeat on the Prussians but as it happened the Prussians retreated in pretty good order. Ney was ordered to stop the Anglo-Dutch Army from falling onto Napoleons flank and Ney suceeded even though he didn't suceeded in crushing the vanguard led by the Prince of Orange. it was very archetypcial strategy for Napoleon, he also did that in 1800 and 1813. to elaborate: in 1800 he sent out 2 armies and hismelf in control of the third (reserve) army. his army was supposed to support he army in most trouble (in this case, massenas Army of Italy). in 1815 the Army was divided in two columns, the left column udner Ney and the right under Grouchy. again, Napoleon would be himself in the center and support whoever he decides to take on at the time. (wellington -> Ney, Prussians -> Grouchy).
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 19:18

That fails to comprehensively analyze the entire situation as it existed, and relies on considering only part of Ney's original orders so as to come to the conclusion.  Mr. Balkoski's article is far more thorough in its analysis.  The bottomline is that the French either needed to concentrate more forces against the Prussians to 'complete' their victory there, or to defeat the British.  The fact is that they achieved neither.  The British were undefeated and held the crossroads.  The French were denied the use of Ney's force and d'Erlon's I Corps at Ligny, a combined force which outnumbered what was available to Wellington.  Certainly NOT a victory, strategic or otherwise, in my book.

just a small addition to what i wrote above already. the crossroad was only important because Wellington was supposed to link up with Blcher. after Ligny, the crossroad became insignificant for Wellington and he retreated back to Mont St. Jean and this time it was Blcher who was to support Wellington. so in conclusion, any supposed "victory" of wellington at Quatre-Bras became obsolete by Blchers defeat and Wellingtons failure to link up with him. therefore, in all events it is at least a strategical defeat.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2008 at 19:21
Originally posted by Samara

Suvorov have a good place, his campaign of italia against french troop are perfect, campaign against Turkey too, i am sure that he could stop napoleon if he survived.

Suvorov is good but not compared to his neighbours, he is in the wrong league. Suvorov eventually lost Switzerland to Massena. can't really agree that Moritz von Sachsen either, there are several more on this list who should be higher.

Edited by Temujin - 08-Apr-2008 at 19:22
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 00:48

Originally posted by Samara

Suvorov is good but not compared to his neighbours, he is in the wrong league. Suvorov eventually lost Switzerland to Massena. can't really agree that Moritz von Sachsen either, there are several more on this list who should be higher.

Who do you have in mind?  I really need a strong #5, and can't find one, really.

With that in mind, Who should be #5, everyone?

Here are the candidates I've got in tier 2:
5 John Churchill (Duke of Marlborough) 1650 1722 Gunpowder England
6 Aleksandr Suvorov 1729 1800 Imperial Russia
7 Jan ika 1370 1424 Gunpowder Bohemia
8 Belisarios 505 565 Medieval Byzantines
9 Timur 1336 1405 Medieval Turks
10 Gustav II Adolf 1594 1632 Gunpowder Sweden
11 Scipio Africanus the Older 237 BC 183 BC Ancient Rome
12 Gaius Julius Caesar 100 BC 44 BC Ancient Rome
13 Subotai   1248 Medieval Mongols
14 Frederick II of Prussia 1712 1786 Imperial Prussia
15 Eugene of Savoy 1663 1736 Gunpowder Austria
16 Sir Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Wellington) 1769 1852 Imperial England
17 Khalid ibn al-Walid 584 642 Medieval Arabs

Please, everyone, vote for who should be #5.  What do you think?
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 01:26
Alexander or William Slim
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 01:36
Originally posted by Paul

Alexander or William Slim

For #5? Confused
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 02:29

just a small addition to what i wrote above already. the crossroad was only important because Wellington was supposed to link up with Blcher. after Ligny, the crossroad became insignificant for Wellington and he retreated back to Mont St. Jean and this time it was Blcher who was to support Wellington. so in conclusion, any supposed "victory" of wellington at Quatre-Bras became obsolete by Blchers defeat and Wellingtons failure to link up with him. therefore, in all events it is at least a strategical defeat.

The error in your analysis here, and it is a common error, is that you are ignoring the importance of the crossroads and lateral road to the French.  As has been clearly stated previously, the 'objective' of Wellington moving to Ligny was nullified by virtue of the fact that he was attacked by a vastly superior force (Ney's).  There was another also superior force (d'Erlon) between him and Ligny.  It was only later in the day that Wellington's reinforcements gave him a numerical advantage of Ney (but still inferior to Ney and d'Erlon combined).  It was the French who wanted and needed the road.  Ney squandered his early opportunity to capture the crossroads early, and use the lateral road to send d'Erlon's I Corps, plus possibly additional forces, to hit Blucher in the flank.  That would potentially have given Napoleon the truly crushing victory that he needed at Ligny.  As it was, and as you pointed out, Blucher retreated but was far from finished after Ligny.  A French strategic victory at Quatre Bras would have involved either sending significant forces to Ligny to 'ice' the victory there, or at least inflicting a signficant defeat on Wellington.  As it was, Ney's original force plus d'Erlon's I Corps were unavailable at Ligny, yet failed to defeat Wellington.  Of course you are correct that once the Prussians retreated from Ligny, the position won by Wellington at Quatre Bras was meaningless.  At that point there wasn't really much choice for Wellington other than to fall back in parallel with Blucher.   But that doesn't nullify the contribution Wellington made to the Allies' cause in fighting at Quatre Bras.  It's pretty clear that if the crossroads had been ceded without a fight d'Erlon and possibly additional forces would have headed down the Namur road, hit Blucher in the flank and possibly resulted in a crushing defeat at Ligny.  THAT would have represented a strategic victory for the French at Quatre Bras.  Using 45,000 French troops merely to prevent Wellington's smaller force from fighting through to Ligny, which Wellington had no intention of attempting once he was attacked, does NOT represent a strategic victory. 
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 02:33
Originally posted by DSMyers1

With that in mind, Who should be #5, everyone?

Here are the candidates I've got in tier 2:
5 John Churchill (Duke of Marlborough) 1650 1722 Gunpowder England
6 Aleksandr Suvorov 1729 1800 Imperial Russia
7 Jan ika 1370 1424 Gunpowder Bohemia
8 Belisarios 505 565 Medieval Byzantines
9 Timur 1336 1405 Medieval Turks
10 Gustav II Adolf 1594 1632 Gunpowder Sweden
11 Scipio Africanus the Older 237 BC 183 BC Ancient Rome
12 Gaius Julius Caesar 100 BC 44 BC Ancient Rome
13 Subotai   1248 Medieval Mongols
14 Frederick II of Prussia 1712 1786 Imperial Prussia
15 Eugene of Savoy 1663 1736 Gunpowder Austria
16 Sir Arthur Wellesley (Duke of Wellington) 1769 1852 Imperial England
17 Khalid ibn al-Walid 584 642 Medieval Arabs

Please, everyone, vote for who should be #5.  What do you think?

To clarify, you want us to vote on which one of the list above should be in position #5 on your overall list.  Is that correct?
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 03:05
I believe that is what he wants us to do, I say, JULIUS!

Jonathan4290 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Jonathan4290 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 04:15
Personally, I would say Scipio, Sobatai or Frederick but I don't have enough information on current #6-9 to vote confidently. Can anyone give a good refresher on Suvorov, Zizka, Belisarius and Timur?

I would narrow it down by eliminating Caeser because his political accomplishments are often blurred with his military and current #15-17 because no one has or will make a strong enough case for any of them to be as high as #5.
Like great battles? How about when they're animated for easy viewing?
Visit my site, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps at www.theartofbattle.com.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 07:32
Timur defintelty.

Suvorov is good but was never tested against a really strong enemy except once. There he showed an extraordinary leadership but lost Switzerland, though through no fault of his own. Timur is something else, he conquered everything from India to the broders of Egypt up all the way to the volga. He was a master of strategy, tactics and politics which make him a good candidate even to replace Temujin.

Al-Jassas
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 08:22

That fails to comprehensively analyze the entire situation as it existed, and relies on considering only part of Ney's original orders so as to come to the conclusion.  Mr. Balkoski's article is far more thorough in its analysis.  The bottomline is that the French either needed to concentrate more forces against the Prussians to 'complete' their victory there, or to defeat the British.  The fact is that they achieved neither.  The British were undefeated and held the crossroads.  The French were denied the use of Ney's force and d'Erlon's I Corps at Ligny, a combined force which outnumbered what was available to Wellington.  Certainly NOT a victory, strategic or otherwise, in my book.

No, Napoleon did not have the strength to defeat the combined forces of Blucher and Wellington let alone the other armies massing. His only hope was to smash the two armies and (hopefully) convince the rest of Europe to let him be.

He could only hope to smash the two armies individually. Time was NOT on his side.

So he faced Blucher at Ligny the nearest of his enemies. Ney was to ensure that Quatre Bras was held so that the flank/rear of Blucher's army could be attacked by D'Erlon's corps at the very least. Similarly Wellington (if he could) was to march and support Blucher provided he himself was not opposed.

In the end the battle at Quatre Bras stopped Napoleon's strategy dead. Blucher's army was beateb but remained an effective fighting force.

Wellington fellback to Mont St Jean which he had already reconoitred and informed Blucher that he would give battle there if Blucher would support him with at least a corps. To this Blucher assented and kept his word.

Napoleon then faced Wellington at Waterloo with the result we know. Wellington's and Blucher's co-operation and the result at Quatre Bras totally foiled Napoleon's plans strategic and tactical.
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 12:43

To clarify, you want us to vote on which one of the list above should be in position #5 on your overall list.  Is that correct?

Yes, that's right.  Those are my 5 through 17 at the moment, or Tier 2.  The top of Tier 2 is the #5 position.

Basically:
1. Marlborough won everything he fought, against difficult opposition--but he won with heavy casualties, only fought a limited number of battles, and had a great general to share the glory with.
2. Suvorov fought huge numbers of battles, but never faced opposition as skilled as himself or fought in a true great power war, other than the very end of his career vs. France.  Level of difficulty is not too high.
3.  Zizka, on the other hand, fought many powers far superior, was innovative in tactics, and managed to keep Bohemia free from crusading powers for many years.    However, there were no good generals in the opposition.  The opposition, however, was more numerous and better equipped.
4.  Belisarios defeated the Vandals, Ostrogoths, and fought the Persians.  He was very successful, but never fought a general on par with him, or even close.  His troops were also likely better than those of his opponents, though less numerous.
5. Timur similarly carved out a great empire with an inferior force, fighting many different empires/nations.  He fought no great generals, or even really great powers.
6. Gustav II Adolf took what his father had done in Sweden and molded a great power, an impressive feat for Sweden.  He defeated Poland and the Austrian/HRE forces in the 30 years war, and faced generals also on this list--Koniecpolski, Wallenstein, Tilly.  He was also an innovator.  However, his conquests did not last and he did not conclusively defeat Poland.
7. Scipio Africanus.  He beat Carthage and Hannibal almost single-handedly.
8. Julius Caesar.  Well, he's popular at least...
9. Subotai.  One of the greatest tacticians in history--he led several brilliant campaigns and battles, though always against foes that were ignorant of their tactics or just not very good.  He was immensely successful.  Think the Germans vs. the Russians at the outset of WWII on the Eastern Front... only earlier.  If he was more responsible for the earlier victories, he should be #3, not Genghis.  But sharing the glory is hard to determine...
10. Frederick the Great.  Both good and lucky--his willingness to fight battles and tactical skill allowed him to match up with far superior enemies with good generals.  However, he came very close to totally ruining Prussia, but was bailed out by some fortuitous events.  Had a tendency to lose far too many men on the battlefield, but won always (kind of like the Great Conde--liked battles, won them, but lost too many men).
11.  Eugene of Savoy.  Fought in great power struggles, and was a superior general to all of the (good) opponents.  However, he must share some of his glory with Marlborough, who was his superior in their greatest war.
12. Wellington.  A great general, defeated Napoleon at Waterloo--barely.  Showed great skill in the Spanish theater against inferior generals with strong forces at their disposal.  Did he really prove himself enough?
13.  Khalid ibn al-Walid.  Defeated the Persians and the Byzantines, including the spectacular Battle of Yarmouk.  Truly an exceptional commander, defeating far superior forces though the forces were not well led.

There you have Tier 2, everyone.  What do you think?
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 12:51
I have to change my vote, didnt notice the sword of Allah was in the list, man, that guy was amazing, hard fought warrior, blazingly a zealot, even Heraclitus says the man inspires fear against anyone, Ive always pictured it that without this man, the Arabs wouldnt have their empire, they wouldnt be able to defeat the Byzantine Empire nor the Sassanids.

I place my vote on Khalid.

Edited by Julius Augustus - 09-Apr-2008 at 12:54
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 13:07
Hey DSMyers - here are my comments (and my #5 vote too):

Yes, that's right.  Those are my 5 through 17 at the moment, or Tier 2.  The top of Tier 2 is the #5 position.

Basically:
1. Marlborough won everything he fought, against difficult opposition--but he won with heavy casualties, only fought a limited number of battles, and had a great general to share the glory with.

True. Which is why he should be dropped a few places in my opinion. A general as described like such is not worthy of #5.

2. Suvorov fought huge numbers of battles, but never faced opposition as skilled as himself or fought in a true great power war, other than the very end of his career vs. France.  Level of difficulty is not too high.

His opposition may not have been of Napoleon's calibre, but he did face his fair share of difficulties. I think Suvorov is worthy of this position, but am flexible.

3.  Zizka, on the other hand, fought many powers far superior, was innovative in tactics, and managed to keep Bohemia free from crusading powers for many years.    However, there were no good generals in the opposition.  The opposition, however, was more numerous and better equipped.

Not my area of expertise, so I'll leave him to others.

4.  Belisarios defeated the Vandals, Ostrogoths, and fought the Persians.  He was very successful, but never fought a general on par with him, or even close.  His troops were also likely better than those of his opponents, though less numerous.

Belisarios did lose a few battles which is damaging to his record, but regarding what he achieved with what he had, full credit to the man. Top ten for sure.

5. Timur similarly carved out a great empire with an inferior force, fighting many different empires/nations.  He fought no great generals, or even really great powers.

I disagree here. Tamerlane should be moved up I think (my vote goes to him for #5 by the way). He defeated the Ottoman Turks, Golden Horde and Delhi Sultanate. I believe these were great powers.

6. Gustav II Adolf took what his father had done in Sweden and molded a great power, an impressive feat for Sweden.  He defeated Poland and the Austrian/HRE forces in the 30 years war, and faced generals also on this list--Koniecpolski, Wallenstein, Tilly.  He was also an innovator.  However, his conquests did not last and he did not conclusively defeat Poland.

For me, Gustaf II doesn't even rank as a Tier 2 general. He made some good reforms and was generally a successful and able commander, but not in this league. I see Koniecpolski as his superior on the battlefield.

7. Scipio Africanus.  He beat Carthage and Hannibal almost single-handedly.

Yes he did, and for this he deserves a spot in the Top 15. Hannibal's pupil is an understatement.

8. Julius Caesar.  Well, he's popular at least...

He's more than popular. He was a brilliant battlefield tactician, overwhelmingly charismatic, and an excellent strategist too. Top 15.

9. Subotai.  One of the greatest tacticians in history--he led several brilliant campaigns and battles, though always against foes that were ignorant of their tactics or just not very good.  He was immensely successful.  Think the Germans vs. the Russians at the outset of WWII on the Eastern Front... only earlier.  If he was more responsible for the earlier victories, he should be #3, not Genghis.  But sharing the glory is hard to determine...

He is #3 on my personal list, and for good reason. Subedei needs to be elevated!

10. Frederick the Great.  Both good and lucky--his willingness to fight battles and tactical skill allowed him to match up with far superior enemies with good generals.  However, he came very close to totally ruining Prussia, but was bailed out by some fortuitous events.  Had a tendency to lose far too many men on the battlefield, but won always (kind of like the Great Conde--liked battles, won them, but lost too many men).

Don't know too much about the guy, but from what I do know he was a decent commander, possibly worthy of Tier 2. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I read a very dodgy book about him, that painted him as near imbecilic. So I need to do more reading about him.

11.  Eugene of Savoy.  Fought in great power struggles, and was a superior general to all of the (good) opponents.  However, he must share some of his glory with Marlborough, who was his superior in their greatest war.

Marlborough was superior.

12. Wellington.  A great general, defeated Napoleon at Waterloo--barely.  Showed great skill in the Spanish theater against inferior generals with strong forces at their disposal.  Did he really prove himself enough?

By golly he did prove himself. Don't forget his campaigns through India too. He was a consistent, innovative and adaptive general who retreated from I believe 1 siege, had a tactical draw at Quatre Bras (arguable, he may have won outright), and been repelled as a subordinate on a night time recon mission in India. An exceptional general, worthy of the Top ten.

13.  Khalid ibn al-Walid.  Defeated the Persians and the Byzantines, including the spectacular Battle of Yarmouk.  Truly an exceptional commander, defeating far superior forces though the forces were not well led.

And on the topic of great generals, Khalid would have to be another Top ten possible. The sword of Allah was just a genius. However, it is hard to get reliable information on his battles, due to the questionable nature of sources...

I hope that gives you a brief insight into my ideas on Tier 2. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

- Knights -
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 13:45

I'll just highlight a few of those on the list whom I believe are deserving of being at the top of that list:

Subutai, Timur, Belisarius and Frederick the Great.

Honourable mention:

Wellington, a great commander but I'm not sure he was ever put in such a disadvantageous position so as to really prove himself to the extent of some of the others.  Gustavus Adolphus, performed well but really he died too early in the 30YW to really prove himself to the extent of some of the others.  Scipio Africanus, again excellent commander, but well supported by his nation so didn't face the same disadvantageous position that some of the others had to face.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 13:51
Should never forget the battles etc that Wellington fought in India. Assaye being really worthy of mention which probably showed Wellington at his finest as an attacking general fording a river with inferior forces under heavy fire to attack an enemy who was also moving to face him.

Edited by Peteratwar - 09-Apr-2008 at 13:52
DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2008 at 13:52
Good information Knights!

So, my question is--can both Genghis and Subotai be in the top 5 or 6?  Should Subotai get more of the glory, or Genghis?  Subotai definitely has some campaigns of his own (Europe) but to what extent does each get the glory from the earlier campaigns?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5859606162 128>