Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your quote of the day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your quote of the day
    Posted: 15-Jun-2007 at 12:42
"Well-behaved woman rarely make history."
~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich ~

Edited by morticia - 15-Jun-2007 at 12:43
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 01:36
Work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence.

Peter's Principle
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 10:02

From "Kingdom of Heaven" Movie..

"Good Quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever meet them my friend"

"Be without fear, in the face of your enemies. Be brave, and... (Sorry, I've a bit forgot that part). Speak the truth even if it leaves to your death."
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 15:31
Here are a few "history" quotes:

'We learn from history that man can never learn anything from history.' - Hegel (1770-1831) German philosopher

Study history, study history. In history lies all the secrets of statecraft - Winston Churchill

'History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.' - Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965) British politican

History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity - Cicero

History does not repeat itself except in the minds of those who do not know history - Kahlil Gibran

'History is the science of people.' - Jose Ortega y Gassat (1882 - 1955), Spanish philosopher

[History] distinguishes what is accidental and transitory in human nature from what is essential and immutable - Macaulay

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe - H. G. Wells

'There is history in all men's lives.' - William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), British playwright

History knows no resting places and no plateaus - Henry Kissinger

'The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I acquire the more certain I am that I know nothing.' - Voltaire (1694-1778) French philosopher and historian

History does nothing, possesses no enormous wealth, fights no battles. It is rather man, the real, living man, who does everything, possesses, fights. It is not History, as if she were a person apart, who uses men as a means to work out her pursuing their purposes - Karl Marx

Consciousness of the past alone can make us understand the present. (Herbert Luethy)

History is a string full of knots, the best you can do is admire it, and maybe tie it up a bit more. History is a hammock for swinging and a game for playing - Jeannette Winterson

History is the best medicine for a sick mind; for in history you have a record of the infinite variety of human experienceexamples and warnings; fine things to take as models, rotten things to avoid - Livy

'Journalism is merely history's first draft.' - Geoffrey C. Ward

History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life, and brings us tidings of antiquity - Cicero

Since history has no properly scientific value, its only purpose is educative. And if historians neglect to educate the public...then all their historical learning is valueless except in so far as it educates themselves - M. Trevelyan

'The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.' - L. P. Hartley, (1895 - 1972), English novelist

'A page of history is worth a book of mathematics.' - Oliver Wendell Holmes (1808 - 1864), American journalist

He who cannot draw on three thousand years is living from hand to mouth - Goethe

'A man who does not respect his ancestors is worse than a wild animal.' - American Indian saying

'History teaches us tolerance for human shortcomings and imperfections.' - Lewis F. Powel, American writer

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it - Santayana

Everything must be recaptured and relocated in the general framework of history, so that despite the difficulties, the fundamental paradoxes and contradictions, we may respect the unity of history which is also the unity of life - Fernand Braudel

The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves. (William Hazlitt)
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 02:05
That's a lot of quotes for one day.Thanx morticia.Smile
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 10:05
The crapiest crap in craptown.

-From a movie, i cannot remember right now....Ermm
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 10:11
"The hedge-sparrow fed the cuckoo so long, that it had it head bit off by it young".

The fool in King Lear. Mummys watch out
Traveller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 07:22
"I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Groucho Marx
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 00:18

"Am I dying or is is this my birthday?"

Lady Nancy Astor when surrounded by grieving relatives on her deathbed.

elenos
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jul-2007 at 09:00
When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, you think it's only a minute. But when you sit on a hot stove for a minute, you think it's two hours. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein 
elenos
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 04:28

Although nature commences with reason and ends in experience it is necessary for us to do the opposite, that is to commence with experience and from this to proceed to investigate the reason.
- Leonardo da Vinci

Edited by elenos - 09-Jul-2007 at 04:29
elenos
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 18:22
"I'm going to live forever or die trying"
-Yossarian, Joseph Heller's Catch 22

"Life is dangerous, nobody has survived it yet"
-Some Russian on the news

"This statement is false"
-A Pythagorean philosopher in Thebes who's name I can't remember but was called "the lier" - think about it - it's a complete oxymoron
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2007 at 01:20

Men decide far more problems by hate, love, lust, rage, sorrow, joy, hope, fear, illusion, or some other inward emotion, than by reality, authority, any legal standard, judicial precedent, or statute. - Cicero

elenos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 02:58
Quotes from the film Shawshank Redemption

Red: Andy Dufresne, who crawled through a river of sh*t and came out clean on the other side. Andy Dufresne, headed for the Pacific. Those of us who knew him best talk about him often. I swear the stuff he pulled. Sometimes it makes me sad, though, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice, but still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.

Red: Rehabilitated? Well now, let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means...I know what you think it means. To me, it's just a made-up word, a politician's word so that young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie and have a job. What do you really want to know? Am I sorry for what I did?...There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. And not because I'm in here or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then. A young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him. Tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone. This old man is all that's left. I gotta live with that. 'Rehabilitated?' That's just a bullsh*tt word. So you go on and stamp your forms, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a sh*t.

[Andy's letter to read under a rock in Buxtons Hayfield]
Dear Red,
If you're reading this, you've gotten out. And if you've come this far, maybe you're willing to come a little further. You remember the name of the town, don't you? I could use a good man to help me get my project on wheels. I'll keep an eye out for you and the chessboard ready. Remember, Red. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well.
Your friend,
Andy

[Red He purchases a Trailways bus ticket for Fort Hancock, Texas (the location where Andy crossed into Mexico) he just  can't wait to meet his best friend Andy.

Red: I find I am so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel, a free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.

Edited by ezycompany - 16-Jul-2007 at 02:59
Dori View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Dori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2007 at 15:12
From Literature:

"In the case of human beings, friendship is a transitory art, subject to discontuance without further notice." - From "Telemachus, Friend," O. Henry

"What an idiot!" - From "The Idiot," Fyodor Dostoevsky

"Lovers' talk is very commonplace. It is a perpetual "I love you." A very bare and very insipid phrase to an indifferent ear, unless adorned with a few grace-notes; but Claude was not an indifferent listener." - From "Notre Dame de Paris," Victor Hugo

From Philisophical works:

"Our labor keeps us from three great evils -- boredom, vice, and want." From "Candide," Voltaire

"Good sense is, of all things among men, the most equally distributed; for everyone thinks himself so abundantly provided with it, that those even who are the most difficult to satisfyin everything else, do not usually desire a larger measure of this quality than they already possess." From "Discourse on Method," Rene Descartes

From Oscar Wilde:

"Education is an admirable thing. But it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." Oscar Wilde

"The well-bred contradict other people. The wise contradict themselves." Oscar Wilde

"To be really medieval one should have no body. To be really modern one should have no soul. To be really Greek one should have no cothes." Oscar Wilde
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 16:18

Originally posted by nuvolari

Bloody Hell, so it's a troll, am  ?   Well, at least you didn't call me a leprechaun ; then I would have been offended ! 

AyKurt View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote AyKurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2007 at 17:16

The Saint is a man who disciplines his ego. The Sage is a man who rids himself of his ego.

It is only the artificial ego that suffers. The man who has transcended his false 'me' no longer identifies with his suffering.

Detachment is a state, it is not a totalisation of achieved indifferences.

Wise men don't judge: they seek to understand.

Play your part in the comedy, but don't identify yourself with your role!

Reality alone exists - and that we are. All the rest is only a dream, a dream of the One Mind, which is our mind without the 'our'. Is it so hard to accept? Is it so difficult to assimilate and to live?

Realisation is a matter of becoming conscious of that which is already realised.

A myriad bubbles were floating on the surface of a stream.
'What are you?' I cried to them as they drifted by.
'I am a bubble, of course' nearly a myriad bubbles answered,
and there was surprise and indignation in their voices as they passed.
But, here and there, a lonely bubble answered,
'We are this stream', and there was neither surprise nor indignation in their voices,
but just a quiet certitude.

There is no mystery whatever - only inability to perceive the obvious.

- Wei Wu Wei

Edited by AyKurt - 23-Jul-2007 at 17:20
Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 00:20

"I'm going to live forever or die trying!"

> Yossarian, from Joseph Hellers "Catch 22"
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 00:26
Wow you must like that quote Aster cause you posted it back in July aswell
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 00:42
...Yes...I feel like an idiot now. It's a great quote - I might even go so far as to say my personal maxim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>