Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Atlantis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atlantis
    Posted: 07-Mar-2006 at 20:03

Here is my guess, the priest was simpley telling Solon of a empire in the west, its history, its capital( tartesso) and its end from a earthquake and a flood .

However Plato turned the story into a work of athens and it Gods.  Why because Socates was put to death soon after for not believing in the greek myths and their gods. 

I believe the story is true, only given all the glory to athens and in its myths , like the flood story that were most likey borrowed from another culture.

Arthur-Robin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 02:58

Edited by Arthur-Robin
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 05:41
Originally posted by Arthur-Robin

People need to put aside their puritanistical/PC anti-Nazi prejudices and consider Aryan theory on its own merits.

Well, I would put aside "Aryan" theories with all the other rubbish, ludicrous phantasies like the real Atlantis, Extra-terrestrial invasions and all that stuff, if it hadn't been for the circumstance that this theory was attempted to be put into practise, with all the consequences we know so well.
In this context, one can never have enough prejudices against race theories and especially against the Nazi "Aryan" one, and discussing it "on its own merits" is a contradiction in terms. It hasn't got any.

Why do they have to be devious and pretend that they dis-agree with it in order to publish the ideas which they evidently don't dis-agree totally with secretly/in the end any way.

???

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 06:34
Obviously Nazi theories are all wrong... starting by the very fact that the "Aryan race" doesn't exist and (in any case) Aryans have nothing to do with Nordics but rather with "untermenschen" as Russians and Kazaks...

Nordics never conquered anything before the German expansion of the Iron Age.

Yet Atlantis (unless you see it with Cayce's or Blavatski's eyes) has nothing to do with Nazi schizophrenia.

Assuming it existed, it was a civilization of the Copper-Bronze Age in Iberia or somewhere nearby, with black haired people, some of them maybe of clear Mediterranean genetics...

While there are megaliths (the Atlantean fossil) in Scandinavia they belong to a pre-IE period, when Danes were still culturally Western and not yet IE.

What Atlantis is about is not about some Nordic fairy tale... but about how Western Europe (and probably North Africa) was before the Greeks, the Celts and Romans... before the Indo-Europeans.

I think it's Pliny who laments that Lusitania being so rich naturally finds itself in such a barbaric state. This decription may surely apply well to all Atlantic Europe in classical times. What I suggest is that it was not always that way, but that there was a time when it used to have a native civilization and that this civilization was destroyed maybe in a was as that described in the Critias.

My idea is also that some cultural traits, such as a relatively good position of women in society and family or a an attitude of open curiosity towards  the natural world have painfully survived from those times, allowing the Western renaissance that otherwise would have been impossible.

While its marginality allowed Western Europe to fall into underdevelopement and fall victim of "Eastern" peoples such as Greeks and  Celts or later Romans and Germans, it also alowed it to survive to the most destructive monsters created by the knot of civilizations (the Near East), particularly the most evolved forms of Patriarchy, which can't but hinder freedom and therefore creativity and success.

Well, I'm ranting. I wish you hadn't mixed Blavatski and Himmler in all this, Komnenos. Why did you do that?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
docyabut View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote docyabut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 08:49
Plato places Atlantis close to Gades , it could`nt be any where else
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 10:23

Edited by Arthur-Robin
NZ's mandatory fluoridation is not fair because it only forces it on the disadvantaged/some and not on the advantaged/everyone.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 10:36
Originally posted by docyabut

Plato places Atlantis close to Gades , it could`nt be any where else

Plato does not mention Gades - does he?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 11:08

If you forget about the Aryan=Nordic and Aryan=Indo-European then what we would have is "Aryan" = either or both Eur-African and/or Eur-Asiatic which does have merits.

So far the only "Aryans" we know about are Iranians and Indo-Aryans, bot Eastern IE peoples that (most likely) came from Russia and/or Central Asia.

Western IE peoples can't be defined as "Aryans" unless you want to pose of Nazi like that English prince... what's his name?

Atlantis was real please read my article on page 2.
ETs fantasy? All ancient cultures had memories of the gods/angels coming down from the sky/heaven.

You are brainwashed or just have a very imaginative mind... what are you talking about? What angels? My culture had not even fairies... every single mythological criature lived in or on the ground, though some could travel through the skies.

Maybe we were the one that travelled to the minds of other cultures using the sky as passage. Did those anges wear a beret?

Maju: No offense but "nothing before Germanics/Iron Age"?
1 - Sumerians (classified part I-E by Waddell, Hrozny, Myatt etc), Hittites, Hurrians, Indians, Iranians, Celts, Greeks, Tocharians, Romans ....
2 - The sophisticated upper palaeolithic cultures (tailor made clothes etc). Megalithic. Etc.

No offense. You'll find that it is very dificult to offend me.

Now, what the heck are you talking about? The Upper Paleolitihic was of course relatively sophisticated but it wasn't Germanic but Basque.

The same we can say about the Megalithic age. At that time IEs were just arriving to Europe and it is impossible to take apart Germanics from the other linguistic groups.

Have you read what I wrote? Megalithic Scandinavia was pre-IE (pre-Germanic). It is precisely the arrival of IEs (possibly proto-Germanics) what finishes the Megalithic period there, being the first region to lose the Ancient Religion and the Atlantean culture.

Next came the peoples of Germany proper. But for the next 1100 years, there was a status quo at the Rhin between the Indo-Europeans (Celts?) and the Western Europeans (Basques in a wide sense of the term, or Atlanteans, if you prefer). In this period (2400-1300 BCE), we see the flourishing of Bell-Beaker commercial phenomenon and the expansion of Megalithism to the Western Mediterranean, while slowly losing strength in the Atlantic, specially among Aquitanians/Basques of Artenac culture (SW/West France).

It ends with the disappearence of VNSP (Atlantis), the fragmentation of El Argar (Greek neo-colony), the irruption of Celts west of the Rhin for the first time and whatever happened that caused Greeks and others to become the fearful Sea Peoples that attacked Asia and Egypt, destroying the Hittite Empire, Troy, Ugarit...

But there's not the slightest sign of Germanic activity, unless you consider Italics or Celts to be those. Proto-Germans were pretty quiet in Scandinavia, Lower Germany and the Netherlands until c. 800 BCE or rather later (their true expansion started c. 200 BCE at the expense of Celts mostly).

Germanic peoples before 600 BCE (left) and before 100 BCE (right)

Expansion of Germanic peoples after 100 BCE (not the best map maybe but a good approximation).

Learn something that is not mere empty speculation, Mr. Robin.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 15:23

Edited by Arthur-Robin
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 15:59

Well Komnenos, I neither want to offend anyone, lose any chance of interacting with people, get expelled nor go off the topic of Atlantis so I will just say that "we all know so well" is half if not mostly false Allied propaganda. Fact is this system is no better (and in my opinion is worse) than they claim N-S Germany was.

You're right to be careful turning up as an apologist for the Nazis, in fact this statement of yours is already more than I can stomach (and I mean this quite literally). Can I recommend "Stormfront forum" to you as an ideal platform for spreading Aryan race theories and finding excuses for the Nazis, that is in case you shouldn't know it already.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 16:58

Maju: Thanks for your response. Yes Plato mentions Gadeirus/Gadeira (Necho) which people usually identify with Gades and/or Ceuta, but I prefer equating it with Agadir.

Gadeirus is a name of one of Atlas' brothers. Not a city - though most likely Plato or whoever took the idea from Gadir

I can't comment on your claim about your culture not having sky tradition because I don't know what culture you are from (is that your avatar picture?) But even if that is so there are still many cultures that have this tradition so there must be some truth to it.

I am Basque, as most people in this forum know. My avatar has nothing to do with who I am personally but about a struggle against intolerance and fascism. Would you be European and not Polinesian, you'd probably know that that lady is a Dutch MP.

I was not limiting "Aryan" to Indo-European/Germanic when I said about before Germans/iron age. But even so the  #1  list of before then evidence was I-E (hence "proto-Germanic") but outside/before Europe. The I-Es may be Eur-african ("Nordic") and/or Eur-asiatic.

IEs do not exist: IE is a linguistic family. There are IE speakers and these change a lot physically. Examples of:

a/ IE native speakers:

66s/EXP=1141940655/**http%3a//www.sloughlin.addr.com/mfinger .jpg">

b/ non-IE native speakers:

The #2 list you claim are unrelated racially to the I-Es/Germanics but that is not necessarily definately the case. Since "Aryan" in sense of  masters/chosen rather than I-E  is either/both Eur-african and/or Eur-asiatic it could mean the "pre-I-E" culture races as well as or instead of I-Es/Germanics.

You are ranting Nazi nonsense about master races and those stupidities. Aryan is just a term that exists in Indian and Iranian cultures. Its totally alien to European culture - sorry but you must improve your knowledge.

First there are no human races.

Second, if they would exist, none of them would be "Aryan" that Hitler one day had a weird idea to claim that Germans were the cream of the cake with no grounds at all... doen't mean that he was right.

A person with such a silly moustache and such megalomaniac tendencies can hardly be right.

Anyhow, he was wrong: flatly wrong.

So we have 3 scenarios: "Aryan" is I-E, and Europe before them was not; or "Aryan" was "pre-I-E", and I-Es were barbarian invaders; or "Aryan" is both "pre-I-E" and IE.

We have only one scenario: there is no Aryan in Europe. Aryans were people of India and Iran. It's an Asian concept, totally out of place in Europe.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 18:26

Edited by Arthur-Robin
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 18:53

Sorry, obviously I will have to steer clear of any "Aryan/master/race/Nazi" subjects since people are so intolerant/puritan.

Seems like a pretty good plan to me.
As you probably know, we Germans can be rather intolerant.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 05:25

Sorry, obviously I will have to steer clear of any "Aryan/master/race/Nazi" subjects since people are so intolerant/puritan. But there is one thing I have to clear up: Maju, if there are no masters and no (pure) races what is your picture of history and cultural emergence/development?

It just happened.

Notice that most of the major developements (agriculture, bronze and iron techs) in Eurasia happened in the Near East (SW Asia), where people is mostly considered Mediterranean (and they haven't changed much in all these years).

The main reason is that SW Asia is a crossroads, where diferent influences coverged. It also worked as difussor of more peripheral develeopements. SW Asia is "the center of the world" but that is mostly due to geographical reasons.

Also other groups have developed their own advances independently: Mexicas developed agriculture and civilization on their own, Chinese may have imported some concepts like the basics of Agriculture but most of their civilization (and part of ours) is their own independent developement...

Instead Europeans have been almost always dependent on Asian influences. Atlantis or the Iberian civilizations may well be an exception but they are not the rule and they still had a lot of contact with the Eastern Med.

It's also clear that Nordic people were mere barbarians before the High Middle Ages, when a modest civilization started to appear there thanks to the introdution of a Chinese invention: modern plow. I can hardly believe in a theory that suggests that a people that has just jumped into civilization yesterday is any "master race".

But you can aybe toy with this alternative concept (note what follows is not expected to be considered seriously, it's just a satire): the master Medish Race: http://medish.shorturl.com/

Here you can see how the Nordish contamination of the pure Medish race, inventor of everything of value, from Agriculture to Relativity, has perverted civilization:

Ikea "chair"          Napoleon's throne
Left: "chair" sold by popular furniture chain IkeaRight: legendary Emperor Napoleon's throne

Above you can see how even furniture yells the superiority of the Medish race over the Nordish wannabees.

Of course races don't exist, because races demand artificial breeding: it is a cattle-breeding concept hardly appliable to wild creatures as us humans.

Also many things seem to point to interbreeding as a way to stimulate the best of each group. As we have seen in the case of SW Asia, the corssroads of humankind, admixture brings creativity and improvement. As we can see in places like Australia, isolation, normally brings stagnation.

It's in the basics of life: clones die, hybrids survive and thrive.

Finally to mention that I agree with whatever disciplinary measures Kom may have taken (probably just an informal warning): I personaly think that the good Nazi is the dead Nazi - and the most I'm going to condescend if the situation allows is to put them in a Maoist reeducation center.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 07:27

Edited by Arthur-Robin
Halevi View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Halevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 07:37
Originally posted by Komnenos

Sorry, obviously I will have to steer clear of any "Aryan/master/race/Nazi" subjects since people are so intolerant/puritan.

Seems like a pretty good plan to me.
As you probably know, we Germans can be rather intolerant.

Hahahahah. Tell me about it. Seriously, though, its nice to see Germans be ablt to joke about this.   

Speaking of which, I'm going back to my German-Jewish grandmother's hometown this summer. Her family's house has been converted into a strip mall. Hope to take some good pics. ; )

"Your country ain't your blood. Remember that." -Santino Corelone
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 08:54

I'm not allowed to comment. All I can say is you originally said there were no races and no masters and now you say (Indo-)Eurpoeans are inferior to Asian/Medes/Mediterraneans/easterners/mixed/Chinese/Medes/hy brids/Maoists.  (Nazism is "dead" yet the world is still a mess regardless.)

I said that it should not be taken seriously...

Now seriously, don't confuse:
  • Indo-European (a linguistic family)
  • European (a geographic denomination)
  • Caucasoid, aka "white" (an arguable "racial" denomination, including from Dravidians to Irish, from Yemenis to Lapps in any case)
  • Aryans - a diffuse ethnicity of the Indo-Iranian protohistory, of Indo-European language(s), located around Afghanistan or Central Asia
Maoists are not any "race" - no matter how you look at it

Nazism is not dead, sadly. It seems to have some appeal to (Caucasoid) people with an inferiority complex and problems of identity. These people seem to find some strange sucedaneous satisfaction in identify themselves with some "superior race". Obviously you would not be holding such views if you would think yourself as mixed or belonging to one of the ethnicities called by Nazis "inferior races". You only hold such views because you think you are a member of the so called "superior race". This is an obvious by-product of an inferirority complex. A complex just like the one Hitler himself had.

But don't worry: you can overcome it. But you must look at yourself as you are... without pretensions of any sort. Just a hairless monkey with oversize head like the rest of us. Only slightly different than any other human in the world... no matter their skin shade or other rather irrelevant small variations.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 12:33
I asked for and got a clarification of what this forums "rules" are so I have decided to delete my posts from the time Komnenos posted the post which started this all off, including this previous post.
There is nothing I can do about such overly harsh and ridiculous rules except to say that judgement day is coming (in the Christian sense, as I am supposed to be one.)

Edited by Arthur-Robin
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Mar-2006 at 17:50
I never said we are all "equal" - I said that the meaningful differences are not skin deep (racial). As you may know there are people with all sort of problems indepedently of their skin tonality.

X can have a complex of inferiority independently of being white, black or blue... if he/she is white, specially pale white (blond), X may find consolation in such far-fetched racist theories as Nordicism. If he/she is Chinese, X may find consolation in sino-centric theories (of which I know little but I'm sure they exist). Of course X may find consolation in other things: not all X with a self-esteem problem must necessarily find their "solution" (a false solution always) in joining a racist or xenophobic band of hooligans with that sort of ideas. They may find other solutions - hopefully better ones, like developing his/her self-esteem without walking sticks...

You don't need those sticks: you can walk on your own...

Now to your points:

1/ The main reason that the typical Nazi fussion of Aryan (Indo-Europeans) and Nordics is in decay is because archaeology and other branches of investigation seem to prove clearly that they are not particularly related. In other words: original IEs, who lived in Kazakstan and SE Russia, were whatever but of Nordic type. They probably resembled modern Southern Russians or Kazaks, with some uncertainty implicit (for some time I thought they were Mongoloid or partially Mongoloid but now I'm not so sure).

Also because IEs (aka Aryans) have tended not to be very constructive but rather destructive. True that some Indoeuropeized peoples such as Greeks, Hittites or Iranians developed some advances of this or that kind. But it's also true that they were strongly influenced by non-IE peoples that were there before them and who also had made major developements. We don't know for sure what Minoan Cretans spoke but it wasn't Greek. And we know that where the Hittite Empire was created they used to speak Caucasic languages (Hatti and Hurrian). We know that Iranians fed of what Elamites and other less known pre-IE peoples had made before them, etc.

Also we know that Hittites, Greeks, Iranians, etc, were mostly descendant of the pre-IEs that were there before them and not of the elite of invaders that brought the language. There's more "racial" (biological, genetic) continuity than cultural or linguistic one. That a people starts speaking IE doesn't make them "racially Aryans".

Apart that we don't know for sure how were the prototypical IEs before they started expanding and getting mixed with their willing or (more probably) unwilling hosts.

But we know for sure that all IE-speaking peoples of today are mostly non-IEs in their genetic constitution.

Also we know that they were creating culture before IEs arrived. Notice that the first IE civilizations is not older than 2000 BCE in any case. While other linguistic groups were creating civilization since much earlier:
  • Sumerians since c. 5500
  • Pre-IE Aegean and Balcanic peoples since c. 3500 BCE (Troy, Varna civ.)
  • Afroasians and Dravidic speakers since c. 3300 BCE (Akkad, Egypt, Indus civ.)
  • Iberians/Atlanteans (Basque speakers?) since c. 2600 BCE (Los Millares, VNSP)
In comparison the first Western IE relevant city (Rome) can be considered civilization maybe c. 500 BCE - and thanks to Etruscan very intense apportation. Etruscans again are not IEs.

The first civilized stage of Germans can only be detected over the spoils of the Roman Empire in the 5th century and out of formerly Roman territory only much later.

True that Germanic peoples have been very active in the cultural, economic and political fields latey but only since Renaissance or so. The first clearly Germanic major power has been Britain and that hasn't happened before the 17th or rather 18th century.

So there are many reasons against both Aryanism and Nordicism and about the ilegitimate admixture of both racisms.

2/ Historical revisionism has been treated in other topics...

3/ I don't know what you mean by Eurafrican and Eurasiatic. There are just Euro people with no Asian or African significative connection since 30,000 BCE. In fact that is appliable to most Europeans.

But, of course, Europeans or Caucasoids are not the only creators of culture. All peoples are and, as discussed in other topics, China is one of the major global creators of culture ever (from paper to gunpowder, from compass to print...). Other centers of global culture have been India, the Near East (Egypt included) and Southern Europe.

Northern Europe, due to their isolation and other difficult to measure factors has remained relatively backwards all the time before the renaissance. But don't worry: it's not due to any racial defect of Nordics - it's just luck.

4/ We haven't had time to diverge but slightly and admixture has been active all the time. Famed geneticist Luigi Cavalli-Sforza suggested in 1996 that Caucasoids are an old hybrid of the two major human branches: Asians and Africans, in a 2-1 proportion. I suspect he's right.

Anyhow we are totally off topic. I hope Kom locks this, so we can move over to more productive matters. Sadly this is not a pedagogic reeductaion center for confused racist people.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
General
General

Quote Arthur-Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 06:18
Half-Truths which you are free to spread but sadly I'm not free to answer (judgement day is coming.) Komnenos does not need to lock it because I tried to end it above and here I give only moving-way answers, in fact I was one that said I did not want to diverge from Atlantis topic.
-Minoan has possibly been deciphered by Barry Fell, and Linus Brunner shows etymology to be close to I-E Hittite.
-Sumerian has been classified as part I-E by Myatt, Waddell, Hrozny, (Childe?)
-I think I have seen at least one source that connects Etruscan with Indo-European though most connect it with Ural-Altaic.
Eur-african is long-headed Caucasoids so includes your Basques, Mediterraneans, Nordics, Israelis.
Eur-asiatic is round-headed Caucasoids so includes Turanians, Alpines, Dinars, Baltics, Armenoids, Israelis.
End of this divergent discussion!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>