Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Name SLAV*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Name SLAV*
    Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 18:50

Slavs didn't appear for the first time in Europe in 6th and 7th century,they was here long before,read..."Mementa archaeologia et eruditiva".
 In that long period,neighbours call them diferently.
 For themselves Slavs used other names.

http://www.angelfire.com/country/veneti/Distortions.html

Procopius was the first who used name Sclabenoi for todays Slavs.

We can be shore who did arrived,Croats,Bulgars... but they have been assimilated. Today we only can recognized them by name. Hungarians, they keeped their name and language.

When your heart is empty,your
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 04:29
Originally posted by Socrates

Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Socrates

Originally posted by Maju

I'm much more satisfied "a priori" with the derivation from slovo = word. If the language was called by local terms, then why not use a more generic term for the language family, such as word. Also there's no reference to Slavs being particularly religious, just clans and tribes with a low profile. 

I'm not sure i understand...do u mean they didn't worship any deities or what?(btw, u're ignoring my sanskrit thread, although it contains some stuff very interesting concerning your "speculations").

I mean that it seems unlikely that they were outstanding by some sort of religious fanaticism, don't you think?

They certainly weren't fanatics...

I've got some new data...seems i was wrong:

Louis Leger, La Mythologie Slave, 1901-he mentions that Herbord (not sure about spelling) mentions the 'pagan fanatism' of Pomerans.He also mentions there was a caste of priests among Pomerans! Among other writings about baltic slavs appears that priests were ranked just as high as kings- they were payed high tributes although they didn't fight in battles...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345