Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roman/Greek Ethnicy and Physical Traits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman/Greek Ethnicy and Physical Traits
    Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 00:52
Originally posted by Mosquito

Jomsviking Saga:

The Danish king, Svein Tjuguskeg, was married to Gunhild, a daughter of Burizleif, king of the Vinds..(..)...Burizleif, the king of the Vinds, complained to his relation Earl Sigvalde, that the agreement was broken which Sigvalde had made between King Svein and King Burizleif, by which Burizleif was to get in marriage Thyre, Harald's daughter, a sister of King Svein: but that marriage had not proceeded, for Thyre had given positive no to the proposal to marry her to an old and heathen king. "Now," said King Burizleif to Earl Sigvalde, "I must have the promise fulfilled." And he told Earl Sigvalde to go to Denmark, and bring him Thyre as his queen. Earl Sigvalde loses no time, but goes to King Svein of Denmark, explains to him the case; and brings it so far by his persuasion, that the king delivered his sister Thyre into his hands. With her went some female attendants, and her foster-father, by name Ozur Agason, a man of great power, and some other people. In the agreement between the king and the earl, it was settled that Thyre should have in property the possessions which Queen Gunhild had enjoyed in Vindland, besides other great properties as bride-gifts. Thyre wept sorely, and went very unwillingly. When the earl came to Vindland, Burizleif held his wedding with Queen Thyre, and received her in marriage; bus as long as she was among heathens she would neither eat nor drink with them, and this lasted for seven days...(...)...It happened one night that Queen Thyre and Ozur ran away in the dark, and into the woods, and, to be short in our story, came at last to Denmark. But here Thyre did not dare to remain, knowing that if her brother King Svein heard of her, he would send her back directly to Vindland. She went on, therefore, secretly to Norway, and never stayed her journey until she fell in with King Olaf, by whom she was kindly received."

And from the Gunhild (know also as Sigrid, original polish name Swietoslava) daughter of Polish ruler Burizleif and Danish king Sven Forkbeard was their son Canute the Great, who recived from his Polish cousin 300 fully armoured wariors for his conquest of England.
Do you mean the author of "Hudud al-'Alam" (the Regions of the world) in the 10th century considered modern Poland as Saklab? When he say the title of the kings of Saklab is "Svit", did he mean "Swiet" (like Swietoslava)? Is it also true that their daily diet was "milk" (طعام ملوک ايشان شير است)? Their palaces were underground in the winter (همه بزمستانها اندر کازه ها و زيرزمينها باشند)? There were a large number of forts and citadels (ايشان را قلعه ها و حصارهاي بسيار است)? People wore mostly linen clothes (جامه ايشان بيشتر کتان است)? (The Persian word for linen is Katan, similar to cotton), They were all fire-worshippers (همه آتش پرستند)? ....
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 02:31
No Cyrus Shahmiri, this "Saklab" can be only Kievan Rus' and nothing more. Geographical explanation show it
 "Saklab is a region, the east of it is inner Bulghar (Bulgaria) Middle Volga on east and some Rus (Russians) Slavic tribes, the south of it is part of the Kurz sea (Black sea) and some Rum (Romans) Byzantine territory on Crimea and the west of it and the north of it are just some deserted lands!! ... king of Saklab is called "Bismut Svit" ... there are two large cities: Vabnit, this is the first one which is in the east of Saklab, some people of this city are similar to Rusian (Russians) and Khurdab, that is a large city where their king is sitting. (Hudud al-'Alam, page 107)"

May be Vabnit is Novgorod, and Khurdab is Kiev. "Svit"is coming from the name of Sviatoslav I  because he was Pagan, while another "Svit" Svietopolk was ever a Christian. That while they were "äll fire-worshippers"  as the text says. The time of this persian article is also 7-9 century during Golden age and paganism of Kievian Rus. This was very strange state. With rulers by Scandinavian origin, backbone of slavic tribes which formed army and society along with many finno-ugrian tribes. Army elite was also of Scandinavian origin. Ruler names have slavic and viking form in the beginning. Oleg-Olle, Vladimir-Valdemar, Igor-Igge. Tittle was in slavic "Velikii Knez" something like Grand Dux and on scandinavian "Konung" King. Langauge was dominant slavic.  BTW "Bismut" sound to me scandinavian.  
May be Rus in the eyes of Medieval persians was scandinavians

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 08-Jan-2010 at 02:33
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 04:44

Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

It`ll be interest to me to explain what is the reason for this change of meaning. To me it is hard to find historical explanation. Byzantine empire never had enough strength to rule a long time over slavic states on the Balkan. On the contrary Bulgaria many times delivered heavy defeat to Byzantine army, and even in 917 D.C. bring empire to his knee after Battle of Acheloos.  

To talk about Byzantine domination over another Medieval Slavic states like Kievian Rus, Poland, Bohemia... will be non-sence. 
I read many Medieval Byzantine author. They absolutely rare used term "Sklavinoi" when they write about Bulgarians. Terms are mostly "Scythians", "Moesians", "Voulgaros"...

Firstly, byzantine Greeks called Slavs as "Sklavoi" or "Sthlavoi"-"Skavinoi"-"Sklavounoi" because the "sl" sound in the beginning of a word isn't used in any Greek word. So "sl" became either "sthl" or "skl".

I think these terms got the meaning of slave, because byzantines met Slavs as subjects of other tribes such as Avars(at first) and Bulgars and the Slavs that were under the byzantine authority were not equal citizens but mostly members of "Sklavinies". 

And Bulgaria was a Byzantine eparchia not for a short time...despite some bulgarian victories...

Originally posted by beorna

There are different names for the Greeks, danaoi, achaioi and argeioi at the times of Homer, hellenes at the classical times, graikoi is a Roman used term for Greeks, a name of an epirotic ethnos (so Aristoteles). They were also called Ionioi from Asians.

In the case of homer we don't really know if all Greeks called themselves danaoi, achaioi or argeioi, because he is speaking of an ancient time, nearly 500 years before himself.
the name hellenes for all greeks appeared for the first time in the beginning of the 6th century. The name was originally the name of an epirotic tribe. The dodonic cult of Zeus and the delphic oracle made the hellenic name famous among all greeks, so that they used it as a term for themselves. epirotes and makedonians, as well as Molosser were excluded from the hellenes-term.
As I said above, Graikoi or better graeci is the Roman term for Greeks.
It is the same with Ionioi. This term was used by persians and others because the Ionians were sitting close to them in Little asia. So it was probably never a term all greeks used for themselves.

Your paragraph needs some corrections...

-In Trojan war only Achaioi participated and thats why they are called Achaioi in Homeros. The other greek speaking groups of the north did not participate, and a sense of unity came later in 7-8th centuries when the Olympic games started to gain fame.

-Firstly, Molossoi were Epirotes, they're not different groups... Makedones and Epirotes, Aitoloi, Akarnanes and various other greek speaking tribes were more backward in relation with the city states of Peloponnesos and Attica, but were icluded in Hellenes. (the internet is full of sources...Smile).

-The name "Graikoi" used by Greeks never had been favorite for Greeks, but in the period when the antipagan christian ideology dominated and the term "Hellen" went to mean pagan it was used by middle period byzantines to describe themselves and geneally their people ethnically(like Theodore the Studitis). The term was used by all European people like Italians, Franks, Vikings, Serbs, Bulgarians etc while in the East in order to describe the Empire and its people used derivations of "Ionian" like the important for the empire Armenians who called byzantine Greeks "Yoyn".

This term lost ground as the term "Hellen" regained its ethic meaning, since 9-10th century when paganism was just a memory.

Edited by Patrinos - 08-Jan-2010 at 04:47
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 05:30
Well, Homer called the greeks at troy achaioi. He uses it for all greeks there. Of course we don't know who really fought there, if they fought at all. Generally we even don't know if there was a pan-hellenic feeling or how ever we should name it. I agree with you that this happened later and
perhaps somewhen during the dark ages.

I placed the Mollossans closer to the Illyrians than the other Epirotes, but I have no problem to include them within the Epirotes.
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 09:55
Originally posted by Patrinos

I think these terms got the meaning of slave, because byzantines met Slavs as subjects of other tribes such as Avars(at first) and Bulgars and the Slavs that were under the byzantine authority were not equal citizens but mostly members of "Sklavinies". 

And Bulgaria was a Byzantine eparchia not for a short time...despite some bulgarian victories...

Ha ha ha. Don`t be megaloman. Theodore Komnenos Doukas for years was Bulgarian bitch, and  Nikephoros I ever lost his head in atempt to conquer Bulgaria. One of the few roman/byzantine emperors killed in battle. His victor was Krumesis, one of the greatest our rulers. After that victory he siege Constantinople.  

Edited by Kanas_Krumesis - 08-Jan-2010 at 10:07
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 11:50

No Cyrus Shahmiri, this "Saklab" can be only Kievan Rus' and nothing more. Geographical explanation show it
 "Saklab is a region, the east of it is inner Bulghar (Bulgaria) Middle Volga on east and some Rus (Russians) Slavic tribes, the south of it is part of the Kurz sea (Black sea) and some Rum (Romans) Byzantine territory on Crimea and the west of it and the north of it are just some deserted lands!! ... king of Saklab is called "Bismut Svit" ... there are two large cities: Vabnit, this is the first one which is in the east of Saklab, some people of this city are similar to Rusian (Russians) and Khurdab, that is a large city where their king is sitting. (Hudud al-'Alam, page 107)"

May be Vabnit is Novgorod, and Khurdab is Kiev. "Svit"is coming from the name of Sviatoslav I  because he was Pagan, while another "Svit" Svietopolk was ever a Christian. That while they were "äll fire-worshippers"  as the text says. The time of this persian article is also 7-9 century during Golden age and paganism of Kievian Rus. This was very strange state. With rulers by Scandinavian origin, backbone of slavic tribes which formed army and society along with many finno-ugrian tribes. Army elite was also of Scandinavian origin. Ruler names have slavic and viking form in the beginning. Oleg-Olle, Vladimir-Valdemar, Igor-Igge. Tittle was in slavic "Velikii Knez" something like Grand Dux and on scandinavian "Konung" King. Langauge was dominant slavic.  BTW "Bismut" sound to me scandinavian.  
May be Rus in the eyes of Medieval persians was scandinavians
That is a good reply, Sviatoslav I of Kiev (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sviatoslav_I_of_Kiev) also lived in the tenth century, so he could be the same "Bismut Svit", as you said some names mentioned in this book sound Scandinavian, "Svit" is similar to "Swede" and Vabnit could be "Vapnet" that, I think, means "the weapon" in Swedish.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 15:35

Originally posted by Patrinos

Ha ha ha. Don`t be megaloman. Theodore Komnenos Doukas for years was Bulgarian bitch, and  Nikephoros I ever lost his head in atempt to conquer Bulgaria. One of the few roman/byzantine emperors killed in battle. His victor was Krumesis, one of the greatest our rulers. After that victory he siege Constantinople.  

Megalomanis or not...Bulgaria always was shadowed by Polis and its Empire...

Don't hesitate to use the term "Greek", thats how the Bulgarians always called their southern neighbor people and state....Wink

Edited by Patrinos - 08-Jan-2010 at 15:37
Kolokotronis
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2010 at 23:47
 Shadowed or not Bulgaria existed many hundred of years, include after 1204 D.C. when "Polis" was ruled by crusaders and Byzantine empire didn`t exist.  As I know bulgarians always used term  "Greeks" and nothing else when they talk about your historical state and nation.
 Destiny of Bitola inscription is really sad. It was found in 1956 during the demolition of an old Ottoman mosque (they use stone from more ancient building) in time of most frenzy anti-bulgarian campaign in Jugoslavia. A miracle is preservation of inscription, while many others was just burned, erased or broke, because contain forbidden words like "bulgarians" and "Bulgaria". Today process of erasing and falsification on history is even more strong in modern FYROM-a puppet state of Belgrade. Now they enter new text into the place of old.
There is seen more light tone in the background of central and right image than left in Debar monastery. Now inscription show as a sponsors serbian kings, but there is older photo`s with original inscription showed names of bulgarian kings "Boris" and "Ivan Shishman".

Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2010 at 04:39

Shadowed or not Bulgaria existed many hundred of years, include after 1204 D.C. when "Polis" was ruled by crusaders and Byzantine empire didn`t exist.

Even then after something less from a millennium of existence the first capture of the Polis gave Hellenism a push that hadn't experienced for centuries and led to an pre-nationalistic "ethnos" very similar in the conception we have today, and the creation of four important for  Greek history states: the two Despotates,of Epiros and Mystras, and the Empires of Trapezous and Nicaia, that led to the liberation of Polis and its survival until 1453...while its "children" Mystras and Trapezous survived till 1460-61.

PS.we all have understood the paranoia in that country.  

Edited by Patrinos - 09-Jan-2010 at 05:04
Kolokotronis
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2010 at 13:12
Hard to define ethnic traits. Especially in an environment that changes due to population shifts.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2010 at 07:26
Originally posted by Partizani

Hard to define ethnic traits. Especially in an environment that changes due to population shifts.
Yes. Historical delusions about imaginary ancestors. 
Egmond Codfried View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Suspended

Quote Egmond Codfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2010 at 05:34

http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog/SNOBLX.html

Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2010 at 03:29
Originally posted by cavalry4ever

Yes. Historical delusions about imaginary ancestors. 
Well, as long as you don't get into a big fight over it ...
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2010 at 11:35
Originally posted by Partizani

It is like my Professor said, "The Greeks today are descendant of the ancient Greeks plus everyone else who came along, that list can be long.

I see no evidence the populations in Greece or Italy were totally displaced but they intermixed with new arrivals. The Hellenization of Asia Minor brought in a lot of Greek immigrants who intermixed with the non-Greeks, who in turn became Hellenized. I am talking about after the conquests of Alexander the Great. I took a course about Hellenism.
What is new in history?

Even the Ottomans did not totally remove the Greeks nor did they totally depopulate all of Greece or Anatolia. Sections of Anatolia were depopulated but many of the refugees fled to the Greek mainland or Italy. See: The Decline of Hellenism in Asia Minor."

In Southern Italy there were still villages, who spoke Greek, till 19th c. Italian nationalism snuffed it out. There is now a Greek renaissance in these same village and Greek is returning. One could write a book about this so none of us can answer this question here.

The Greek speaking villages in Italy:
According to an article words, in their form of Greek, can be traced to two sources: Byzantine refugees in the 13th C. AD and Greek Colonist about 700 BC.

I would say Italians and Greeks, like most of us, are a mixed bag. I have spent time in many museums and in the faces of many statues I can the same facial characteristics as you still see in Modern Greek and Italians. This does not mean they are the pure decedents of the ancients at all. I also have studied Byzantine Art and here I do see a strange resemblance to modern Greeks. The Eastern Roman Empire is obviously not as far back in history as the Classical Greek period. I really do see more physical traits with the modern Italians and the Romans.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Shield-of-Dardania View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Suspended

Quote Shield-of-Dardania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2010 at 23:34
One thing always makes me curious. Why is it that heroes in British and American romantic novels always, invariably, have dark hair, on top of the obligatory tall, dark and handsome bit?

Is that meant to suggest distant Roman, Greek, Celtic or southern European ancestry?
History makes everything. Everything is history in the making.
InTheFade View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote InTheFade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2010 at 00:19
People did not see race as we do today. They're are plenty of firsthand sources that depict or describe what they looked like
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein

StoryTeller01 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote StoryTeller01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2010 at 07:46
The ancient Greeks were predominatly Mediterranean and Alpine, just like there modern descendents. Just read the Races of Europe by the distinguished Anthropologist, Carleton Steven Coon, he states there is no racial difference between modern and ancient Greeks. There were lighter pigmented individuals, but they were the minority, just like they are today.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2010 at 08:20
Carleton Coon was an interesting person.  However his book on the Races of Europe was not recieved well.  Even 60 years ago it was considered racist.  
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2010 at 15:56
Taken from the exceptional good blog of dienekes pontikos.

on the physical appearence of the ancient Greeks

LITERARY EVIDENCE

It is sometimes mentioned that ancient literature provides evidence for the significant existence of
Nordics in ancient Hellas. It does nothing of the kind. There are numerous references to brunets in
ancient mythology and literature, e.g., the Muses, Poseidon, Alcmena, Theseus, Zeus, Dionysos and
Odysseus are described as possessing either dark hair or dark eyes. Hercules, the Greeks’ favorite hero
is described as dark (melanan), hook-nosed (grupon) by Dicaearchus (Clement of Alexandria,
“Protreptic to the Greeks” 2.30.7). Hercules was also proverbially melampugos (having a black behind)
as indicative of his bravery, as opposed to pugargos (having a white behind), a coward [29]. The Greek
poetess Sappho (an aristocrat from the isle of Lesbos in the 7th c. BC) reveals that both she and her
mother were dark (Fr. 98a, line 11). Philoktetes and Aias were also both brunet-skinned and blackhaired
(Malalas, Chronogr. 104, 3-8). We must also not neglect to mention the detailed analysis of
classicist Denys Page [26] who, in agreement with the ancient testimony of Callimachus (Fr. 299.1)
demonstrates that the epithet elikôpes, collectively used for the Homeric Achaeans, probably meant
“dark-eyed,” rather than “with rolling eyes” as it was erroneously thought. Eleanor Irwin, who wrote
the definitive work on color terms in Greek poetry [29] agrees with this opinion, and so does Noel
Robertson who summarizes [45] current opinion as follows: “it is clear that the meaning ‘black’ is
well-founded, whereas ‘rolling’ or ‘twisting’ rests on a misunderstanding of various compounds.”
Finally, some personages (e.g., Theseus and Dionysos) are portrayed in Greek literature sometimes as
blond (Euripides) and sometimes as brunet (Hesiod), indicating that there was not a uniform belief
about their pigmentation. The second most popular Greek hero, Theseus, founder of Athens was darkeyed
(Bacchylides 17.16-19).

A certain measure of naivete can excuse claims of the alleged blondeness of the ancient Greeks.
Sometimes, the common-sense explanation of literary descriptions is conveniently discounted, and a
generalization from sporadic references to blondes in ancient literature is performed without much
thought. In an oft-used example, Orestes’ hair is described as fair, in Sophocles’ Electra as a dramatic
device aiding Electra’s recognition of her brother from a lock of his hair on her father Agamemnon’s
tomb. Clearly, if Orestes was depicted as brunet, the common Greek color, it would be impossible for
Electra to identify him. Similarly, Demeter, the goddess of the corn is described as light-haired (xanthe)
and so is Apollo, the god of light and the sun. Poseidon, the sea god is dark-haired (kuanochaites), as is
Hades, god of the underworld, while Eos, the Dawn goddess is rosy-fingered (rhododaktylos).
There are all but four mortals in the Iliad who are described as xanthoi. From this scanty evidence, the
generalization “the Achaeans were blonde” is arrived by the Nordicists. Does the absence of
descriptions of brunets signify that there were no brunets in the southernmost extremity of Europe in
Mycenaean times? Clearly, such a thesis overlooks the common use of color terms as distinctive
attributes of their possessors.
It is more reasonable to think that Menelaos and Achilleus are described
as xanthoi, while hundreds of other heroes are not as indicative that these two possessed a trait which
was otherwise uncommon
, i.e., light pigmentation of hair. The same can be said for light eyes as well,
and e.g., Athena’s light eyes caused the scorn of Hera and Aphrodite in a text by Hyginus who
presumably did not have such eyes (Hyginus, Fabulae, Marsyas).
We must also dispel the notion that "xanthos" always refers to yellow hair, or that "purros" refers to purely
red hair.
For the former, we note that Aristophanes used xanthizein to describe roasting meat, which of
course does not turn yellow. Additionally, Strabo uses xanthotrichein and leukotrichein (making hair
xanthon and making hair “white”) indicating that xanthon was a darker shade than extremely fair hair.
George Cedrenus uses it to describe the eyes of the Virgin (xanthommaton); eyes are rarely yellow,
unless jaundiced, which seems unlikely in this case. In modern Greek it may be used to describe any
color short of black [22]. In ancient Greek, according to Barbara Fowler [28] was any color short of
black or dark brown, while Wace [22] believes that it may have been at most auburn. Color terms are
notoriously relative; xanthos may only be taken to mean the fair end of the Greek hair continuum, not
blond. This impression is enhanced by the descriptions of northern European hair as polios (gray,
usually of old people) or leukon (white) to be found in Greek literature (Diodorus Siculus, Adamantius
Judaeus).
As for purros it is noteworthy that the common Greek words for fiery red eruthros is not employed for
hair, while purros is given by Aelius Herodianus (Partitiones 115, 10) for the color of eyes. Human
eyes are never red, or so-called strawberry blond, but they are often of a brown tint mixed with red. It is
certain that at least in some cases, reddish brown is intended, while in others, as e.g., in describing
German hair, reddish blond may be appropriate, given the known pigmentation of Germans. It must
also be remembered that no ethnic taxon of man is recorded as being primarily red-headed. Therefore,
purros means having a red tinge, it does not mean redhead.
It would be worthwhile to quote here in full, the opinion of British anthropologist John Beddoe [34].
Beddoe studied thousands of Britons and continental Europeans, and comparing his designations with
that of other observers, came to realize the relativity of color terms:
Thus almost all French anthropologists say that the majority of persons in the north of
France are blond; whereas almost all Englishmen would say they were dark, each set of
observers setting up as a standard what they are accustomed to see around them when at
home. What is darkish brown to most Englishmen would be chestnut in the nomenclature of
most Parisians, and perhaps even blond in that of Auvergne or Provence; an ancient
Roman might probably have called it sufflavus or even flavus.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345