Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Serbian Warriors, Defenders of Christian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serbian Warriors, Defenders of Christian
    Posted: 29-Apr-2008 at 01:40
Was Albania a kingdom when the Ottomans entered the Balkans?

According to Europeans, Scanderbeg was "Rex Albanae"(King of Albania) but in reality Albania was still a loose feudal entity that was only mildly bound together under the leadership of one charismatic figure and a common enemy. The fact that most of the country was organized against the ottomans means that it was a concerted effort and in the end they did lose. Whether or not its true, modern Albanian historiography (granted that it favors an anti-Osman stance) portrays the growth of the 'Rex Albanae' as a fundamental moment for a unified Albanian state and the Ottoman conquest as the entity that destroyed what was taking so long to create. My personal view is that it was the Ottoman advance that made this possible in the first place.

And I can easily contest the claims of "winning" under the Ottomans, but thats fruitless. The Ottomans happened whether anyone likes it or not.

Fourth, All of Kosovo was under direct Ottoman rule so was Tirana, Berat and most Central Albania and it is here where the muslims were strongest and these people, especially in Kosovo, were and still are known for being extremely religious

Actually, rule over most of Albania was not direct but heavily reliant on the nobility of the country since Ottomans found it too difficult to have any direct administration. This ignores various parts of the country, like Shkodra and its surrounding county, which at various periods enjoyed an almost independent like status(with various other districts being entirely free for most of the Ottoman era). The Ottomans relied on the patronage of the nobility to high offices and the playing off of warlords to keep any sort of authority, hence men like Ali Pasha and KaraMahmud Bushati came about. More control was held over areas like Kosovo because it was lowland.

There were few occasions when Ottoman control was direct; in almost all those cases it required the concentration of vast resources. In the last attempt at direct control 2/3 of the Rumeli army was stationed in the country.

PS: "Extremely religious" by Albanian standards means that you go to the mosque for Bayram... I consider some family members 'religious' because of the fact that they call family members to wish them happy Bayram. Its not a person someone in the middle east would call 'religious'.

Finally, I thought Albania was a free country, if it is right for Christian, Hindu and Buddhist organizations to preach, than why not Islamic organizations?

And I will give you an example why I would trust a western based organization(since the principal Christian groups come from the west, while Hindus and Buddhists are not making any real effort): In 97 Albania an Iranian told Albanian students to go to a monastery in the south of the country and desecrate the images... 17 schools were shut down after it was all over. To put it most simply, bluntly and coldly: I dont trust the middle east...atleast not in its current social state. But lets stick to the topic...

Edited by Theodore Felix - 29-Apr-2008 at 02:59
EthnicAlbania View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EthnicAlbania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 00:07
The Serbian painter Uros Predic painted a picture symbolizing the Battle Of Kosova in 1389 against Ottoman invasion. here is the pic of the work he did http://1389blog.com/pix/The-Kosovo-Maiden.jpg
If you look on your bottom left side of the pic you will notice that the shield has one of the head of the eagle of the Albanian flag.
Albanians fought as well in that battle, and an Albanian fighter with the name of Millosh Kopiliq killed the Sultan.
Serbian Forces were fighting alongside the Sultan Troops against Albanians, Hungarians, and Serbs (Car Lazar).

I have one question!
If Car Lazar was a saint because he fought against ottomans that what does it make his daughter who married a nobble ottoman, "a devil"?

Edited by EthnicAlbania - 07-Jun-2008 at 02:11
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 00:26
That isn't an Albanian flag. That's a flag used by the Roman Empire during war time that the Serbs also used and which now you lose. Perhaps you will tell us that actually the Illyrians (which according to you are Albanians) forged the Roman Empire and that the Romans used it because of Illyrians which invented the wheel etc etc etc...don't care.

Your question is the typical trollish crap you're so popular for on this forum for and i've only been here one day.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 00:26
LOL and for you to claim Milos was Albanian...man do you ever quit?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 00:49
Carpathian Wolf, you won't last long on this forum by confronting people on a regular basis. Take your own words as advice:  typical trollish crap you're so popular for on this forum for and i've only been here one day.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EthnicAlbania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 02:34
Carpathian Wolf I will give you a tip!
If you take out the suffix of all serbian and and greeks names like "Viç" and "Os" the root of the name is typicaly albanian.
For Ex. Milloshe/viç--> Millosh; Kostandin/os--> Kostandin etc etc etc ....
It may be a coicidence, but it is one of those coicidence that I like a lot.:)

Millosh Kopiliq ( This is my personal interpretation)--> "Kopili" in albanian means "The Bastard" lol to me he was one because he killed a Sultan. It takes a king to kill a king, not a soldier.
(Millosh is 100% albanian name).

Edited by EthnicAlbania - 07-Jun-2008 at 02:39
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 02:50
Originally posted by EthnicAlbania

If you take out the suffix of all serbian and and greeks names like "Viç" and "Os" the root of the name is typicaly albanian.

Millosh Kopiliq ( This is my personal interpretation)--> "Kopili" in albanian means "The Bastard" lol to me he was one because he killed a Sultan. It takes a king to kill a king, not a soldier.

Seko's sage advice to Carpathian Wolf should not be construed as a blank check to engage in your own ethnic Crusade. We've all had quite enough of all these ethnic flame wars guys; post something substantive or don't post at all.

-Akolouthos
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 03:44
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Originally posted by EthnicAlbania

Seko's sage advice to Carpathian Wolf should not be construed as a blank check to engage in your own ethnic Crusade. We've all had quite enough of all these ethnic flame wars guys; post something substantive or don't post at all.

-Akolouthos

Oh my you guys have a lot of work these last few daysClap.

Al Perrah reinvigorated the thread with a good insighful post too bad he has a lack of time to post since joining though. Hopefully this thread gets back on point.

Edited by es_bih - 07-Jun-2008 at 03:46
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 04:34
I'm not confronting him my friend. He made a claim and I made a point against it. My apology if it seemed like anything more then that.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 04:36
And if you take the ending of any name and add in "escu" they turn Romanian...but that proves nothing. Really I don't think anyone who has studied Kosovo poljie indepth will agree with you on this one.

To get back on topic, I was pleased to learn that the Serbs also had their own band of "hajduks" like the Romanians and the Greeks had their own. Robinhood types fighting the Turks.

Edited by Carpathian Wolf - 07-Jun-2008 at 04:38
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 05:34
Haiduk means "a bandit" in Turkish. Turks used to call all the "Robin Hoods" in the Balkans with this name including Albanians BTW. Smile
Σαυρομάτης
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 05:38
A friend of mine told me a story about how some Serbs would buy slaves from the Turks and then free them. And then as the slave traders went back south east they would ambush them and steal their money back. So essentially they just freed the slaves taken by the Turks.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 14:01
Milosh is now Albanian name :D
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2008 at 17:15
It is a Martian name, too.
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EthnicAlbania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 23:12
Millosh may be a Martian name but i do not think that Martians (if they exist) have the tendency to call each other with albanian names.  Or if they really want this, all that they have to do is to add the "tian" suffix and "BAM": Milloshtian.  (Ring a bell*)
May be Martians do exist.
Sarmat12, It lloks like you know turkish good, can you please tell me what Arnaut means.
And during all the history of Ottoman empire did anyone of your soldiers was baptised with the name of "iskender bej"(Lord Alexander).
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 03:59
You know what. I'll play.

Why do you say Milos was an Albanian? And don't say names because changing the ending of any name can change the ethnicity. Ending in ov or ski can mean russian, ending in escu is romanian, vic can be croat/serb etc. So your "tip" doesn't really show anything. Is there anything else?
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote EthnicAlbania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 05:58
I say Millosh is an Albanian name because of my experience. My uncle is actually called Millosh and a lot of other people around Albania hold this name. Important people as well from history are called Millosh and they all were Albanians.
Be sinciere and tell me do you know any body around your community named Millosh? I will bet you will a find a Milloshevic but not a Millosh.
Any russian person who goes by the name of Milloshov, or Milloshoki?
My friend I just expressed my idea, so either you like it or not still I will say what I think.
I am not playing here and I suggest you to do the same.
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 20:04
So you're telling me that the Albanians were so influential that all the slavs adopted the name Milos from Serbs, to Croats, to Russians to Poles?

Because to me, just using plain logic it seems like the slavs influenced the Albanians, not the other way around.

And I don't know any people named Milos period. I was born in Romania.

"My friend I just expressed my idea, so either you like it or not still I will say what I think.
I am not playing here and I suggest you to do the same."

There's no need for that. You can express your idea as much as you like and we are all free to discuss it here as is the point of this forum.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 23:34
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

Was Albania a kingdom when the Ottomans entered the Balkans?

According to Europeans, Scanderbeg was "Rex Albanae"(King of Albania) but in reality Albania was still a loose feudal entity that was only mildly bound together under the leadership of one charismatic figure and a common enemy. The fact that most of the country was organized against the ottomans means that it was a concerted effort and in the end they did lose. Whether or not its true, modern Albanian historiography (granted that it favors an anti-Osman stance) portrays the growth of the 'Rex Albanae' as a fundamental moment for a unified Albanian state and the Ottoman conquest as the entity that destroyed what was taking so long to create. My personal view is that it was the Ottoman advance that made this possible in the first place.

And I can easily contest the claims of "winning" under the Ottomans, but thats fruitless. The Ottomans happened whether anyone likes it or not.

Fourth, All of Kosovo was under direct Ottoman rule so was Tirana, Berat and most Central Albania and it is here where the muslims were strongest and these people, especially in Kosovo, were and still are known for being extremely religious

Actually, rule over most of Albania was not direct but heavily reliant on the nobility of the country since Ottomans found it too difficult to have any direct administration. This ignores various parts of the country, like Shkodra and its surrounding county, which at various periods enjoyed an almost independent like status(with various other districts being entirely free for most of the Ottoman era). The Ottomans relied on the patronage of the nobility to high offices and the playing off of warlords to keep any sort of authority, hence men like Ali Pasha and KaraMahmud Bushati came about. More control was held over areas like Kosovo because it was lowland.

There were few occasions when Ottoman control was direct; in almost all those cases it required the concentration of vast resources. In the last attempt at direct control 2/3 of the Rumeli army was stationed in the country.

PS: "Extremely religious" by Albanian standards means that you go to the mosque for Bayram... I consider some family members 'religious' because of the fact that they call family members to wish them happy Bayram. Its not a person someone in the middle east would call 'religious'.

Finally, I thought Albania was a free country, if it is right for Christian, Hindu and Buddhist organizations to preach, than why not Islamic organizations?

And I will give you an example why I would trust a western based organization(since the principal Christian groups come from the west, while Hindus and Buddhists are not making any real effort): In 97 Albania an Iranian told Albanian students to go to a monastery in the south of the country and desecrate the images... 17 schools were shut down after it was all over. To put it most simply, bluntly and coldly: I dont trust the middle east...atleast not in its current social state. But lets stick to the topic...

Scanderbeg was no recognized King, but indeed, it SHOULD be called an Albanian Kingdom, for its status and successes.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2008 at 23:48
First of all, it would be insane to claim that 90% of Serbs, Montenegrins, Bosniacs, Croats and other Yugoslavians all descend from AlbaniansDead

Second of all, Millosh is not "100% Albanian name". There are far more Serbs with that name, but also other Yugoslavians, Czechs, and other Slavs. Next to it, it thus, cannot mean that Milos Obilic - if he ever existed, could be an Albanian. Besides, what famous Albanian Millosh was there besides Millosh Gjergj Nikolla (by that logic), and he himself comes from a Albanian-Serbian/Slavic cultural mix.

And finally, "Kopile" in Serbian means exactly the same thing it means in Albanian. Also, it more evidently derives from "kobila". Does that word for that animal exist in Albanian?

In the end,  what are the evidence that he's Bulgarian or Albanian, except that both epic cultures accepted because of his legendary importance.
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>