Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro and cons of families

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Online Status: Offline
  Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro and cons of families
    Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 12:04
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

But I am not sure whether you can say in all of these cases, that it was the seperation of the parents that caused the negative impact, or any other factor. It could be that the arguments and the negative athmosphere surrounding a divorce do the damage, and not the removal of a parent from the house. In that case, smoothing up the process and more help to both kids and parents dealing with the situation might help.

What evidence is there that parents who divorce create a more negative atmosphere and argue more, than parents of the same age and economic class who aren't married and split up?

And if it is lesser for unmarried couples (which I doubt), how much lesser? It would have to be quite alot, because the kids of serial monogamists in casual relationships are going to go through it time after time.

I would say that in quite a lot of cases, divorce is still the better option. Forbidding it is not going to make anything better for anyone...

Divorce is not forbidden in many places. Certainly not in any of the developed nations. And are we discussing the institution of marriage in the countries most of us live in, or railing against the perceived backwardness of a handful of Third World societies? They are two very different topics.

Edited by edgewaters - 27-Jun-2007 at 12:06
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 12:49
Originally posted by Maharbbal

And remember that EU is changing - everything is possible in the future.
Yes everything and I've heard that soon Poland will be given to a bunch of Muslim sodomites and Polish women deported to Siberia by the big bad EU.

Maharbbal, are you a moderator? I think that as a moderator you should better control your excitements. Or maybe my nationality is any problem for you?

Are we talking about opinions or about facts? I live in Poland and I can have my own opinion also about homosexuality. The rest Poles also have this right. Why does EU reprimend Polish society for its opinions?
As far as facts are concerned - there is no right in Poland which oppresses homosexuals.
According to the Nice treaty the EU is entitled to sue ANY country (not just Poland) who does not protect its minorities' rights. The problem as you say is not opinions (one can thinks whatever he wants) but the acts and some of these were illegal.

Please, be more specific. Which acts were illegal?

You are misinformed. There are legal and illegal demonstartions in every European country. This 1 march was forbided because it was illegal. It was illegal, not because it was gays' march, but because it wasn't coordinated with local municipal government. And therefore it creted risk for public order.
Pffffffff gi'me a break the anti-gay demonstrators are not a problem for public order but 2,000 gay in the streets of Warsaw are?

Once again - a demonstration which is not coordinated with municipal government is a danger for public order. It doesn't matter if it is demonstration of gays or anti-gays. Gays can't demonstrate anywhere and whenever they want only becasuse they are gays.

Yes, I know. I have written about it to show you that there is some unification of moral rights in EU - not only criminal or economical ones.
????? if death penalty is not criminal law what is? 

Every law has (or should have) its roots in morality. So the death panelty is a moral right.

AFAIK 'harmonization of a criminal legislation' doesn't mean that every country should punish the same crime in the same way, but that some kind of crimes should be punished in all countries.

That's interesting. It was a separate message and it didn't join with the discussion about homosexuality. So I have no idea why you think that in my opinion homosexuality, zoophilia and incest are the same things.
What do you mean it was a separate message, are you a cyborg whose brain evolves so fast he cannot be considered liable for what he stated 3 minute before? You did compare it, didn't you?

No, I didn't compare zoophilia and incest to homosexualism. And I again advice you - as a moderator, you should better control your excitements. You should avoid claims like this one: 'If one of you don't see a difference here, I suggest he goes straight to the medic'.

I have no idea what you mean. Can you explain me what you mean?

that's what I mean and that's what I mean too some more still the same medecin

It is very interesting suggestion. According to your logic, if some of my countrymen commited a crime tens years ago, my nation doesn't have a morality.
According to this kind of logic, all the todays Germans are Nazis, right? According to this logic, no person in the world has morality, because his countrymen murdered somebody at one time. That's really interesting logic LOL.

As often humour reveals a lot, here is a famous Jewish joke:
Do you know why Polish Jews only play the violin? No? Have you ever tried to escape a pogrom carrying a piano?

I really wonder who have made you a moderator. Have you ever read  regulations of this forum? You should do it ASAP.

Edited by ataman - 27-Jun-2007 at 12:54
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 13:33
Originally posted by edgewaters

Divorce is not forbidden in many places. Certainly not in any of the developed nations. And are we discussing the institution of marriage in the countries most of us live in, or railing against the perceived backwardness of a handful of Third World societies? They are two very different topics.

If you cannot keep up with the discussion, it is not my fault you know. It was pretty clear what we were discussing, and my line was in direct refence and agreement with Marhabbals remark I was commenting on. For your specific benefit: I was not suggesting that divorce was banned in any modern nation, nor that only countries were this is so are open for improvement. It was a remark meant as a reaction to Marhabbal's remark that children from divorced parents do less well at school, as a ground value the discussion should base on: yes, divorce can and probably is bad for children, but forbidding it is not an option, so we have to look elsewhere for solutions to the probem. That clear enough?

Originally posted by ataman

Once again - a demonstration which is not coordinated with municipal government is a danger for public order. It doesn't matter if it is demonstration of gays or anti-gays. Gays can't demonstrate anywhere and whenever they want only becasuse they are gays.

This is really blatant BS and you know it. Gays are only allowed to have a demonstration with permission, and there is not a chance in hell they will get such permission. On the other hand, radical nationalists and neo-nazis do get said permissions. Which, indeed, they have full right to, in a democracy. But if they have the right, so have homosexuals. Not giving homosexuals permission to have a demonstration is discrimination against a minority.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 27-Jun-2007 at 13:37

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 13:47

This is really blatant BS and you know it. Gays are only allowed to have a demonstration with permission, and there is not a chance in hell they will get such permission. On the other hand, radical nationalists and neo-nazis do get said permissions. Which, indeed, they have full right to, in a democracy. But if they have the right, so have homosexuals. Not giving homosexuals permission to have a demonstration is discrimination against a minority.

Aelfgifu, please read more about my country before you will write another opinion about it.
In short - you are misinformed, that's all.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 13:49
Really? So show me the permission then.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 14:25
Maharbbal, are you a moderator? I think that as a moderator you should better control your excitements. Or maybe my nationality is any problem for you?
I'm really sorry to have offended you, and apologize, but the rhetorical practice that implies that anything is possible coming from X or Y pisses me off. I mean we are smart enough not to use these foolish tricks.

Banning a demonstration on obvious moral ground is.

That's my point the refusal of the municipal government to co-ordinate the march was illegal because made not on the ground of public order but morality. A demonstration took place anyway and as far as I know except a few eggs throwing that was the worst that happen. A country is supposed to make room for its minorities. If one year the security can't be guaranteed OK, sh*t happens, but two years in a raw I do see a problem.
The pope going in a country produces massive security issues, he has never been prevented from coming to Warsaw yet.

Every law has (or should have) its roots in morality. So the death panelty is a moral right.
? the moral right to kill your fellow? that is not the point here anyway.

No, I didn't compare zoophilia and incest to homosexualism. And I again advice you - as a moderator, you should better control your excitements. You should avoid claims like this one: 'If one of you don't see a difference here, I suggest he goes straight to the medic'.
Well I still do advice anybody not seeing the difference between an act of love between two men or two women and the rape of a child to go see a medic. And possibly an police officer too.
If you have any complaint against me, you are more than welcome to send a PM to an admin. If you want I can open a thread were the mod could post their opinion.
Then if you didn't compare homosexuality and incest, why did you bring it on the table? Besides, even if I was wrong, I hope you agree with me that any suggestion of the same should be refuted vehemently.

It is very interesting suggestion. According to your logic, if some of my countrymen commited a crime tens years ago, my nation doesn't have a morality.
According to this kind of logic, all the todays Germans are Nazis, right? According to this logic, no person in the world has morality, because his countrymen murdered somebody at one time. That's really interesting logic LOL.
No that's not it. The first difference is that the German apologized more than enough already, I'd like to see one of the twins doing the same as the representatives of the Polish government And specially, I don't believe in a Nation's morality. A guy from Warsaw think the same as a guy in Gdansk who thinks the same as another in Cracow? Individual exist, I've never met a nation. I don't believe your morality is different from mine, I don't believe what works there doesn't work here. I simply don't. Of course there are local differences, but using them to support infringements to human rights makes me puck.

I really wonder who have made you a moderator. Have you ever read  regulations of this forum? You should do it ASAP.
You have anything against Jewish jokes? Or do you contest the existence of pogroms?
I am a free donkey!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 14:58

Really? So show me the permission then.

The last demonstration (which I remember) was a month ago in Warsaw. It was legal, so it had permission. Is it enough or do you need more examples?

Edited by ataman - 27-Jun-2007 at 15:00
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 15:33

Banning a demonstration on obvious moral ground is.

Give me an example please.

That's my point the refusal of the municipal government to co-ordinate the march was illegal because made not on the ground of public order but morality.

I suppose you write about demonstration in Poznań in 2005.
What are facts? The fact is that president of Poznań Ryszard Grobelny (he is from PO - the party which is in opposition to Kaczyński's one) forbided to march some itinerary, but he proposed 2 alternative itineraries. The president of Poznań was supported by a wojewoda of Wielkopolska Andrzej Nowakowski (he is from another party which is in opposition for Kaczyński's one; Nowakowski is from SLD - the Polish left wing).
The organizers of demostration didn't agree and marched the way they choose. Therefore it was illegal demonstration.

? the moral right to kill your fellow?

You vulgarize this problem. But I agree with your next sentence.

that is not the point here anyway.

This is not a good place to talk about a death panelty.

Well I still do advice anybody not seeing the difference between an act of love between two men or two women and the rape of a child to go see a medic. And possibly an police officer too.
If you have any complaint against me, you are more than welcome to send a PM to an admin. If you want I can open a thread were the mod could post their opinion.

Maharbbal, I hope you are smart enough and I don't need to give you more good advices. Keep regulations of this forum. That's all I want.

Then if you didn't compare homosexuality and incest, why did you bring it on the table?

Because I was wonder if the right in Netherlands is consistent.

No that's not it. The first difference is that the German apologized more than enough already, I'd like to see one of the twins doing the same as the representatives of the Polish government

Polish president apologized already for Jedwabne. Don't you know about it? BTW, there is a difference between Jedwabne and German crimes. I don't write about the scale (milions killed by Germany and 250 killed in Jedwabne)Holocaust was commited by the state (Nazi Germany), while the murder in Jedwabne was commited by some 20 - 30 Poles, who were inspired and supported by German soldiers. It wasn't an activity of Polish state but Polish criminals.

And specially, I don't believe in a Nation's morality. A guy from Warsaw think the same as a guy in Gdansk who thinks the same as another in Cracow? Individual exist, I've never met a nation. I don't believe your morality is different from mine, I don't believe what works there doesn't work here. I simply don't. Of course there are local differences, but using them to support infringements to human rights makes me puck.

So how do you explain that laws in diferent countries differs so much?

You have anything against Jewish jokes?

I suspect that if I had written this 'joke', I would have been banned immediately LOL.

Edited by ataman - 27-Jun-2007 at 15:34
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 19:13
Originally posted by Spartakus

I am pro-family, because the baby needs botha father and a mother.

I agree 1000 %
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 23:32
Originally posted by eaglecap

I am pro-family, because the baby needs both a father and a mother.

I agree 1000 %

That's also the reason why single parents are not allowed to raise children, and that children are taken away if one parent dies.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2007 at 01:24
Should a poll be taken on this subject to clear the air? I feel there are a lot of tension rising here, some of the remarks have led to warnings. I don't feel that is the fault of those who made them given the subject matter. We have fallen into discussing emotive opinions rather than events and what one says hurts another for one reason or another.  
elenos
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2007 at 18:57

The organizers of demostration didn't agree and marched the way they choose. Therefore it was illegal demonstration.
I find your explanation fishy in a region where gay rights are so ill-treated. 

Polish president apologized already for Jedwabne. Don't you know about it? BTW, there is a difference between Jedwabne and German crimes. I don't write about the scale (milions killed by Germany and 250 killed in Jedwabne)Holocaust was commited by the state (Nazi Germany), while the murder in Jedwabne was commited by some 20 - 30 Poles, who were inspired and supported by German soldiers. It wasn't an activity of Polish state but Polish criminals.
You obviusly did not check the links I sent as they all are about post-1945 massacres or state-driven antisemitism.

So how do you explain that laws in diferent countries differs so much?

History my friend, history matters more then genes when it comes to this. Why do the Polish army has one form of cap, the US another one, the Russians another one, the French yet another one, the Spaniards another one? It seems like a petty example but you tend to reproduce what the previous generation was doing (path dependency) so long as it does not harm you too clearly. Why didn't Russia industrialize before the end of the 19th century and actually the beginning of the 20th? Because the elite was sure Russia did not need that? Cultural differences do not matter when it comes to such things.

I am a free donkey!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2007 at 04:12

I find your explanation fishy in a region where gay rights are so ill-treated. 

Why should I talk with you, if my explanations are 'fishy' for you? Your logic is quite easy - I can't have right, because I live 'in a region where gay rights are so ill-treated'. That's the way to nothing.

You obviusly did not check the links I sent as they all are about post-1945 massacres or state-driven antisemitism.

So check your first link. It is about Jedwabne.
As far as your second link is concerned - have you ever heard that Poland in the period 1945-1989 was rulled by a communist regime? Have you ever heard about Jewish helpers of Communist crimes (like this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salomon_Morel) ?
Now, those communists are the Polish left wing and they defend 'human rights' Ouch.
Have you ever heard that Kaczyński's party lobbed in EU to condemn Communists and their crimes? But there is some strange resistance in Western countries. Western democracies are condemning Nazis and their crimes (that's very good), but can't do the same with Communists, who commited more crimes that Nazis.

Maharbbal, we can turn this discussion into a discussion about Polish-Jewish relations and about crimes commited by both these nations, and about morality of both nations, but as a moderator you should know that it will be against regulations of this forum.
I suggest you to go back to the subject of this thread.

Edited by ataman - 29-Jun-2007 at 05:10
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2007 at 13:57
Originally posted by eaglecap

I am pro-family, because the baby needs both a father and a mother.

I agree 1000 %

Family does not mean a baby , a father and a mother. I am pro family but not only a father and mother. A baby does not need just a father and mother they need warmth, love, security and education which if your dad/mum happens to be a abusive nut won't happen. 

I believe a baby needs a secure loving home rather than two boxes  ticked. Plenty of kids have a terrible life in a one mum one dad family and plenty kids bloom under other families. I do not think having one rule for bringing up kids in biological terms helps with nurturing a child, it seems fairly short sighted. So I am pro family in that I support the right of every child to be loved, protected and educated whatever the make up of the family is.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2007 at 17:04
i have to say that i agree with new user.  i have looked over this discussion and have to say i find it disgraceful that people can be so abusive about members of society that are not causing pain to others, and just trying to get on with their lives. 

i have to wonder why people think being gay is a disgrace to nature, when they no doubtedly use a lot of technology which u could class the same way.  it it is not the way 'nature is meant to be', is something that includes most of everybodies day to day lives.

when it comes to bringing up children, love and stablility and consistency is what they need, and most gay couples who have children, make damn sure they have thought about this first, unlike many many heterosexual people who just 'end up pregnant'.  and please dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that as long as the parents love the child.  but what is wrong with two women or men being parents if they love and respet there children.  that is much more than many children experience.

i have found that people being racist on this site have been banned immediately and i wonder why homophobics do not get the same treatment, that in intself to me seems prejudice.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 02:42
Originally posted by gizbot

i wonder why homophobics do not get the same treatment, that in intself to me seems prejudice.

I wonder why some people state that they are for the freedom of speech but simultinaously they want to restrict this freedom if other people don't agree with their opinions Wink.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 06:37

That's my point the refusal of the municipal government to co-ordinate the march was illegal because made not on the ground of public order but morality. A demonstration took place anyway and as far as I know except a few eggs throwing that was the worst that happen. A country is supposed to make room for its minorities. If one year the security can't be guaranteed OK, sh*t happens, but two years in a raw I do see a problem.

As someone who has participated in the organization of demonstrations in the past, I have to be frank here and say that no, it is not.

Demonstrations are rarely banned altogether, and it doesn't appear that it was banned in this case. It was refused a marching license, for one year (it was granted one the year previous) because the organizers refused to agree to the route.

Considerations in route have little to do with "moral ground" and have everything to do with public order. If a protest is likely to be subject to attacks from counterdemonstrators, or to damage property or attack citizens, routes are chosen where attacks are less likely and where it is easier to provide security. This protects protestors, innocent bystanders, tenants, and property owners. In the case of Poznan specifically, the gay parade march of the previous year was granted a license, and the result was a riot between gays and far right counterdemonstrators in the downtown core. By granting a second license for a march along the same route, the municipality could have been liable for injuries and property damage which resulted.

The reason that there was no repeat of the violence the second year even though the march was along the same route, was that when the marchers staged an illegal demonstration, the local police detained them, probably overnight. If they had a license to march, this wouldn't have been possible until too late, when the riot was already started.

It does not indicate favouritism. The British, for instance, banned Protestant Loyalist marches through the Catholic Bogside district in Belfast, Northern Ireland, from 1970 to 1994 after the 1969 march resulted in a series of riots known as the Battle of the Bogside. The traditional march had to be rerouted through those years; a wall was even built to prevent marchers from taking a now-illegal route through the Bogside.

Protestors who are denied their chosen route always claim discrimination, regardless of the reasons and regardless of who they are (the Loyalist marchers claimed they had been 'abandoned' by the British), especially when they talk to the press. This is a standard tactic to attract media attention through controversy. The goal of the protestors is to attract attention, and if they are headed by radical organizers, will always choose a route likely to result in violence, even (sometimes especially) when they are likely to be the victims.

Municipalities are always in a no-win situation with demonstrations marked by violence. This is one of the main reason why radical demonstration has been so effective in achieving rights for gays and other groups; its such a headache for municipalities, even major metropolises, that it can become a national priority to see that such parades go smoothly with minimum need for security - and that involves reducing discrimination. In other words, radical demonstrations can make the interests of government and the demonstrators coincide.

The pope going in a country produces massive security issues, he has never been prevented from coming to Warsaw yet.

A gay pride march which is refused a route in a specific municipality is not the same thing as a papal visitation. Turkey bans demonstrations all the time, and it still shelled out for security for a papal visit, and it's not even Catholic. A papal visitation is a national event and a municipality will receive national resources including funding and police, possibly even military, to provide security. Municipalities must provide all the security for local marches. It's just not a comparable situation. Municipalities don't have unlimited resources, and have to cope with the fact that criminals and delinquents will be expecting the police to be too busy and will increase their activity at the same time.

Edited by edgewaters - 01-Jul-2007 at 06:50
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 07:55
The part of the topic about Poles and Jews is to be continued here
I am a free donkey!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 14:19
[/QUOTE]
I wonder why some people state that they are for the freedom of speech but simultinaously they want to restrict this freedom if other people don't agree with their opinions Wink.
[/QUOTE]

Firstly i dont remember quoting that I am for freedom of speech, (just joking).  I am for freedom of speech, but not when people are being abusive or rude or derogatory about  people who are trying to live their lives in as happy as way as possible, without intentially hurting anyone in the process, in this case homosexuals.    ErmmSmile
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 21:55
Is it rude to ask if people are for or against family values? We all have one you know. A family I mean. 
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>