Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Education for Liberty and Justice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Education for Liberty and Justice
    Posted: 22-Jul-2010 at 07:00
Originally posted by C. Isaurikon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShatnezMixing wool and linen is out of bounds. Which makes it hard for many seeing how many wool/linen blends do exist.

Thanks for the information! And I would guess that very Orthodox Jews, or very Conservative Jews, might still practice and follow them!

But, as I suspect "airhead", and possibly others will be able to tell you why these pronouncememts do not apply to non-Jews!

You will note that the dietary laws are also mostly ignored, except for the most Orthodox of Jewish believers, as well as Muslims who have similar restrictions!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 14:07
Opuslola, I think some of you history may be complete.  This link takes you to an explanation of why the church took a stand against usury, which left the Jews in charge of banking, which lead to resentment against Jews and the persecution of Jews.  The church's stand on usury prevented capitalism.  For the same reason, some Muslim countries do not allow usury, and therefore, effective prevent capitalism.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usury

Calvinist and Puritans lead the way to capitalism.  

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 14:21
Thanks Carol, in some ways I would agree that the Roman Church, did indeed indict the Jews with the very acts that they bestowed upon them!

But, if that was the only way to get rich, then just how did the same RC church manage to build the "New" St. Peter's Basillica in the midst of the plague? With Europe and its (the churches) minions dying by the millions and industry and commerce falling apart!

Were all of these great craftsmen paid with "salvation?"

Were not the great trading nation states of Italy really dealing in usury? Were not the so called Papal States?

I guess the answer is that they killed and tortured all of the rich Jews and stole their fortunes?
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 14:27
Originally posted by Carol

Opuslola, I think some of you history may be complete.  This link takes you to an explanation of why the church took a stand against usury, which left the Jews in charge of banking, which lead to resentment against Jews and the persecution of Jews.  The church's stand on usury prevented capitalism.  For the same reason, some Muslim countries do not allow usury, and therefore, effective prevent capitalism.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usury

Calvinist and Puritans lead the way to capitalism.  

Exactly, less religion = more progress. Control over Europe by the Catholic Church significantly hampered Europe in my opinion.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 23-Jul-2010 at 14:28
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 16:54
Did you intentionaly ignore my words concerning the building / rebuilding, of St. Peter's?

As well as the times?

Edited by opuslola - 24-Jul-2010 at 03:34
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DreamWeaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 17:08
You are aware of course that usuray laws laid down by the church were often ignored, well prior to the Reformation. Italian mercantile communes demonstrate how religion can exist and play a significant social role, but be ignored when required for fiscal rewards. How economic gain and religion can exist alongside eachother. The laws of the church may very well hamper, so long as people let it hamper.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 17:15
A while ago Petite Simba, you posted this in one of your conversations with "airhead!";

"Equality amongst men and women is a secular ideal, not a religious one. You are, I'm sure, for equality between men and women, and this is contrary to your Christian beliefs."

I would suggest, that at one time, at least, and maybe still today, women were the "only" leaders, etc.!

Only men, born from royal women were allowed to rule!

Just why would anyone think that a "family tree" was ever considered and then implemented?

Just what tree bears "fruit?"

Certainly before the current common era, there was no method to determine the "father!"

Thus in the Bible, Jesus was firstly given "royal" status thru his mother, Mary! Only later, it seems, were men, in agony it seems, able to insert a momement that allertated to Jesus being related to the Crown via the earthly father!

Thus the Bible has to be a composite of books, taken from differing times and mores?

But, as always, I could well be wrong?

Edited by opuslola - 24-Jul-2010 at 03:23
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 17:32

Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

Originally posted by Mosquito

Since Poland defeated The Teutonic Order there is surelly one christian theocracy less, Napoleon also took Malta and banished the knights of Saint John but for example Vatican is still in good shape..... Do you know any other christian theocracies than those 3?

What I'm referring to is the time when Christianity dominated the politics and social life of European nations. The first truly secular nation-state was probably France during the French Revolution, if I'm correct.

I believe that there is a connection between the rise of secularism and the rise of European prosperity.

Yes, we should discuss this.  I posted a Wikipedia link about how the church clamped down on usury.  Without usury you can not have capitalism, which is for suse usury, but we call it capitalism.  Today this is a problem for some Muslim countries, and some Muslims feel justified in a Jihad against western capitalist.    Perhaps a thread on the history of economic ideology is appropriate.  It is tied to Liberty and Justice, but doesn't exactly go with Education for Liberty and Justice.  

The education part is split.  Cry  I am so frustrated.   I want this thread to about transmitting a culture for Liberty and Justice, but this is not all that goes with Education for Liberty and Justice, so now this thread is going to get too complex to be coherent.  Ouch

Industry, Education and National Defense sat on the same board for the first time, when we mobilized for the first world war.  Industry wanted to close the schools, claiming the war had caused a labor shortage an that they were not getting their monies worth from education, because they still had to train new employees.  Teachers argued an institution for making good citizens is good for making patriotic citizens, and in fact we did use public education to mobilize us for war and support the war effort.  We added vocational training to appease industry.  This was a boon for public education that was not expected.

Vocational training meant people's children were no longer trapped in ignorance and poverty.  They could go to school and learn a trade and have hope for a better life than their parents had, so more and more parents were willing to send their children to school.  This lead to upward economic mobility and better lives for the masses, especially as new technologies demanded more and more educated people.  Historically we know, financial security for the individual leads to liberty and the demand for justice.  

In the thread "Those Fascinating Scots", we are learning the Scots desired education and wealthy Scots funded education in their wills.  Education is important to Liberty and Justice in two ways.  There is transmission of culture for liberty and justice, and the vocational training that leads to upward economic mobility, that leads to demanding liberty and justice.   It has to be two fold, both education for good moral judgment and vocational education.  Thank you, everyone for participating in me realizing this is necessarily two fold.  

Edited by Carol - 23-Jul-2010 at 21:56
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 17:36
Dear Carol, if you would go back and make a few corrections, the above could be published, I feel! So, just go to the "post options" star, which is golden, and press it! Then you will be allowed to go back and correct your mistakes!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 18:16

Originally posted by opuslola

Then what caused American prosperity?

You cannot call the period of 1900 to 1960 a period of American secularism?

Can you?

Yes you can, secularism was growing. Religion gets in the way of progress, history has taught us this, lets never make the mistake of giving religion to much credit or too much power ever again.

Wait a minute.  Religion is not all bad.  Religion is what made civilizations possible.  I think we should include the worship of many gods as religion.  I think I should start another thread for this discussion, because I don't want to get this one off topic.  Here I will stop at, there is an important value to using the word "God" in text books.  We seriously do not want man to think there is no power greater than himself.  Let me point out, the witch hunts were promoted by secularist.   Detecting witches was actually a learned expertise, and these people thought they were being very scientific.   Religious people and secular people are arguing each other in a very unproductive way.   All human errors are not to be blamed on religious people nor on secular people.  You are all humans and will make errors individually and as groups.  

The most important role religion has played in the US is shaping a culture.   Judaism, Christianity and Islam are all variations of the same religion, creating cultural agreements, that make our civilization possible.   Unfortunately, we can not return to believing in many gods, and greater toleration of each other.  For the same reason, we can not return to believing in many gods, many educated people can not accept Judaism, Christianity and Islam as God's truth either.  However, we should not make the error Zeus feared we would make, that is, to think ourselves above needing any gods.   I think we should put the word "God" back in out text books.    God as the X factor of life, is very important to our Liberty and Justice.  God as Cicero understood God is healthy for civilizations.  This paragraph will start a new thread, hoping this one can stay focused on what needs to be taught for people to have liberty and Justice.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 21:50
Originally posted by Mosquito

So thats why we should have more religion in society? Not a compelling argument...

I did never say that we should have more religion in the society.. All Im saying is that religion or its lack in the society had nothing to do with prosperity.

Not exactly true that religion has nothing to do with prosperity.  I started a thread about "religion and money" to talk about how religion did both, prevent economies from growing, and cause them to grow.  In this thread it would be appropriate to say that following the Crusades the Catholics rediscovered the Greek and Roman classics that the Arabs had preserved, and they built an education system on the classics.  This brought us to an age of Scholastic education and this leads to the Renaissance and Humanistic Education, which leads to the Reformation and then Realistic education gradually shifting more and more to secular education.  Secular education is not the end of the line.   A secular education can meet a social purpose or/and economic purpose and a military purpose.

I opened this thread, because a secular education focused on education for technology for military and industrial purpose, can so completely fail to meet the social purpose, that a nation can be thrown into anarchy and then it becomes a a police state, and then I believe the whole civilization fails.  Only highly moral people can have liberty, and if we leave moral education to the church, first off, that education can destroy democracy and our liberty, because the bible supports autocracy, the opposite of democracy, and secondly, leaving moral education to the church, fails to educate all citizens for good moral judgment.  Christianity without education for democracy is not my idea of a good thing, but is what Germany had, when the Prussians militarized the nation and lead it into two world wars.   
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2010 at 23:10
Opuslola, funding for the new St. Peter's Basilica is what lead to the Protestant Reformation Movement.  The project was planned years early but could not occur without the selling of indulgences.  

[Quote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Peter's_Basilica

One method employed to finance the building of St. Peter's Basilica was the selling of indulgences. A major proponent of this method of fund-raising was Albrecht, Archbishop of Mainz and Magdeburg, who was required by the Vatican to clear debts by contributing to the rebuilding program. The Dominican preacher Johann Tetzel was sent to Germany to facilitate this.[19]
A German priest, Martin Luther, took exception to the selling of these indulgences and wrote a letter to Albrecht of Mainz arguing against it. He also included his "Disputation of Martin Luther on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences," which came to be known as The 95 Theses.[20] Ultimately, this became a factor in the start of the Reformation and the birth of Protestantism. [?Quote]
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 00:31
Airhead, our Christian dominated culture has done a very poor job of giving us a beneficial understanding of the gods.  The Greek gods are essential to our western civilization.  Christianity is Hellenized Judaism.  

Please, Airhead, keep in mind, Germany was the seat of the Holy Roman Empire and the seat of the Protestant Reformation, and it was not lack of Christianity that made Germany our world war enemy.  Nor was it lack of Christianity that resulted in the US breaking from England, and the whole of autocratic Europe.   You know Christian, autocratic Europe that did not think citizens could govern themselves.   

No one would have seen any support for democracy in the bible without literacy in Greek and Roman classics and this is what we must have if we are going to defend our democracy and liberty. Only when we have education for democracy is it defended, and that is literacy in the Greek and Roman classics.  It is knowing, in our nation's Capital  Building is a mural of the gods essential to our democracy.  These gods are not just superstition, but they represent concepts  essential to understanding democracy.  

Athena was Athens patron goddess of Liberty, Justice and Defense.  We know her as our Statue of Liberty, holding a torch for enlightenment and a book for the literacy essential to enlightenment.  I wish every school had a Statue of Liberty, so the children would understand the importance of their education.  We also know her as Lady of Justice, who adorned many court rooms, holding a scale because justice is a balance of compassion and wisdom.  The Spirit of America is portrayed in the 
Capital Building mural as a woman in a chariot, brandishing the Sword of Justice, which is also associated with the Holy Grail stories and the Sword of Justice, and idea that we must not violate nature.  You know, "the laws of natural  and nature's God"  that is part of our Declaration of Independence.    As Spirit of America is she morale, that high spirited feeling we have when we believe we are doing the right thing.  These are concepts our children must learn to appreciate, if we are to enjoy a democracy with liberty.   

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 09:46
Originally posted by Airhead

Doesn't this make God a jealous and petty God?

No.  God doesn't want mindless slaves.  He wants willful humility.  You can't force humility.  You can't force someone to accept help.

Besides your information is incomplete.  We replaced our liberal education with education for technology for military and industrial purpose.  We stopped transmitting our culture and left moral training to the church, making a big mess of things!  This includes Christians saying, "oh, then you don't have God and morals".   Every nation must have moral citizens and their holy books are not the only source of morality.   When we speak as though only those who believe as we do have God and morals, we destroy democracy!   These Christians have become our worst problem.  When I say we must return to education for good moral judgment, they get defensive and say they don't want anyone teaching their children morals.  This is a very poor understanding of God and morals.

It is not Christians that are the problem, it is human nature that is the problem. 

A moral is a matter of cause and effect.  We would read our children moral stories, such as "The Little Red Hen" and ask, "What is the moral of that story?".  The moral of "The Little Red Hen" story is, no one would help her make bread so she didn't share it.   We used the such literature and the classics and hero stories to teach good moral judgment.   Greek mythology gives us some of the very best moral stories, and are excellent at creating a moral and just society, and at transitioning to youth to adulthood.  But with education for technology, we did as the Germans did, leaving moral education to the church, destroyed our national heroes, and praising efficiency,  with huge social and political ramifications!

No.  Greek mythology teaches you to kill your father, sleep with your mom, and to kill yourself when times are tough.  It was secular society that took morality from education, yet you praise secular society.

We began preparing our young for a technological society with unknown values, thus manifesting an amoral society, which leads to anarchy and in turn anarchy leads to authority over the people.
We are destroying our democracy, and that is why I write.  Germany was the seat of the Holy Roman Empire, and the seat of the Protestant Reformation, and it was not lack of Christianity that made Germany our world war enemy.   Christianity without education for democracy is not a good thing.   

Christians provide more charity than anybody else in the entier world.  Many of the hospitals are owned and operated by the Church.  Christianity has also provided a world wide cohesive bond for society and we remain the largest religion in the history of the world.  Humans are not perfect and humans often fail.  This is ok if we have a humble heart and honestly seek to do better.  Jesus knows our hearts better than we do.  If people actually followed the teachings of Jesus (Christians included), the world would be a much better place.

I think we need to conduct a discussion of God and Christianity in a thread for that subject.  This thread is about education for liberty and Justice, and that is learning the Greek and Roman classics, and history, and learning the higher thinking skills for abstract and critical thinking.   All those things people need to learn before they study holy books and think they are authorities about God, and start telling everyone what is true of God.  A God they can not directly experience and can not know.  A God explained in many holy books, by human beings no different from you and I.   These holy books just are not the education essential to our liberty and justice.  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 10:17

I consider myself a servant of Jesus Christ.  Yes, Christian will do.  I try to follow the Bible to the best of my abilities, but to be honest, I am far from perfect.

The reason I bring this up is that I want to know what your opinions are on certain "words of God".

For example, it is clearly stated in the bible on a couple occasions that women are inferior to men. It also says in the bible that women should cover their head.

If the bible is the word of god, and for one to be a good Christian one must follow gods words, do you propose we practice these barbaric and backwards rules?

You left out that God prefers woman to have long hair.  I have a book title "Bobbed Hair, Bossy Wives and Women Preachers" by Evangelist John R. Rice, printed in 1941.   It appears women are to be punished because of what Eve did.  

! Corinthians 14:34,35  "Let your women keep silent in the churches; for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.  And if they will learn anything, let them ask their husbands at home; for it is a shame for women to speak in the church."  This is because in Genesis 3:16 God made it clear "Thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." 

Actually, considering the teachings of the bible, it is a miracle we have democracy with liberty and woman can now actualize themselves with the same liberty men have always had.  Evangelist John R. Rice tells us "That rule is followed every place in the Bible where duties of wives and husbands to each other are discussed.  Read carefully Genesis 3:16,17, Ephesians 5:22-25, Collossians 3:18,19, and Peter 3:17.  God wants children to obey their parents even if the parents are wicked.  Servants should obey their masters even if they are sometimes unkind.  Citizens should obey the laws of their country even though they be administered by wicked and corrupt men..."  Amazing isn't it?  How could such commandments result in a good life?  With Christianity, education for Liberty and Justice is an up hill battle.    

On the other hand a good study of the bible, should reduce tensions between us the Muslims, because then we see if Christians were to follow the Bible they would be agreement with Muslims.
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote TheGreatSimba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 11:30
Exactly Carol, bravo!

Christians who like to put Muslims down dont realize that their own religion is just as strict and just as oppressive, they simply dont practice their religion the way "god" had intended them too, while the Muslims feel as if they should obey "gods" words.

Thank goodness for secularism!

Has humans have evolved over time, we have achieved a level of civilization where we can educate people about liberty and justice, without the need for a "religious authority" on the matter. We are smart enough today to make secular law which punish people for doing wrong.

Instead of preaching religion, we should be teaching people to be kind and good not because they'll be punished if they dont (hell) but because its simply the civilized way to behave.

Most criminals do in fact believe in god, does that stop them? No.

Edited by TheGreatSimba - 24-Jul-2010 at 11:33
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 12:04

What does believe in the Bible mean to you?  I do believe in the Bible, but we still need to understand the historical context.  Let me give you an analogy.  You look at a cave painting and see a crude picture that could be an antelope.  You could point out; "Hey, no way did that guy see an antelope, the dimensions are all wrong, it was obviously a figment of his imagination."

However, just because the human is unable to perfectly depict his perception in a way that is convincing to modern standards, does not mean that his perception was false.

If you study the history of Biblical translation, you will discover that the movement of literalism arrose at a certain point in history.  You can discover this because the Jews and Christians have a rich tradition of scriptural commentary.  This allows us to know what different groups of people believed at different times.

Humans are unable to percieve without bias, this includes you.  Since we rely on human beings to transmit the Word of God, it is natural that human bias gets filtered into the text without the author realizing it.

Jesus said; "The last shall be first and the first shall be last.", thousands of years before the Enlightenment period.

My Christian beliefs are my own thank you.  I will not have you tell me what I believe.

My goodness such justifications!  If the Bible doesn't make sense than it is not God's truth, but what humans wrote.  However, if what the Bible says does make sense, than it is meant to be taken as God's word.  Because we have God's word, we know every other attempt to explain God and morals is pagan and false.  I don't know why we know this, we just do, and intellectual, well read people who do not accept the church nor the Bible as God's authority, but assume the authority of judging God's truth is theirs, are wrong why?   Confused  
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 12:51

Exactly Carol, bravo!

Christians who like to put Muslims down dont realize that their own religion is just as strict and just as oppressive, they simply dont practice their religion the way "god" had intended them too, while the Muslims feel as if they should obey "gods" words.

Thank goodness for secularism!

Has humans have evolved over time, we have achieved a level of civilization where we can educate people about liberty and justice, without the need for a "religious authority" on the matter. We are smart enough today to make secular law which punish people for doing wrong.

Instead of preaching religion, we should be teaching people to be kind and good not because they'll be punished if they dont (hell) but because its simply the civilized way to behave.

Most criminals do in fact believe in god, does that stop them? No.

Thank goodness a post that is on topic.  Now maybe this thread can be rescued.  

Cicero was educated in Athens, and from him we understand superstition is not effective in changing reality.  Athens is where this concept of education for Liberty and Justice, and democracy begins.   If we do wrong, something bad will happen.  That is why it is the wrong thing to do.  If we do right, good things will happen.  That is why it is the right thing to do.  Now from here, no prayers to God, or burning of candles, or human or animals sacrifices are going to change this law of cause and effect.   Once we understand this, we are compelled to do our best to do the right thing.  That is, rule by reason.  Democracy is rule by reason.  Democracy is totally different from a theocracy, which is based on believing in supernatural powers, and being able to manipulate a God to do our will, through prayers and sacrifices.   Understanding democracy is knowing these efforts to manipulate God, are futile, because the organizing force of the universe just does not work that way.  Get it?

My Christian friends are displeased with me for giving them the scientific explanation of the plagues that lead up to Egypt freeing the Jews.  I thought they would be pleased that science would lead us to believe this part of the bible is indeed true.  Instead of being pleased, they were angry that science was dispelling superstition.   Oh heavens no!  do not give a scientific explanation for what the bible says.  Right, and don't start using sanitation and stop burning witches, because it is better to be superstitious than scientific, secular.   We can not believe, the plagues happened, because a volcano changed the weather, drying up the Nile, making it flow slowly, so it gets contaminated by a red algie turning the river blood red, and killing the frogs, causing an infestation of disease carrying insects, and so on, cause and effect.   Science ruins our superstitious notions so we don't want it.   

The point is, when believe studying God is studying nature and then implying something about God, we don't think a supernatural being causes sickness, but find the real cause of sickness, and than with reason, we can eliminate this evil, making democracy a better way to end evil than religion.   This is what this thread is about.  The education that dispels superstitious notions and makes life better.  It is terrible that today we are still fighting with religion for education based on science rather than superstition.    This is why our Statue of Liberty holds a book and a torch, to get us out of the darkness of ignorance and superstition.

Edited by Carol - 24-Jul-2010 at 12:54
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2010 at 15:54
Maybe some of you should see this?

http://mail.aol.com/32319-111/aol-1/en-us/Suite.aspx

I don't like the numbers, do you?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2010 at 08:00
Originally posted by opuslola

Maybe some of you should see this?

http://mail.aol.com/32319-111/aol-1/en-us/Suite.aspx

I don't like the numbers, do you?

Are you spamming us?  That is the second time I followed a link for AOL mail and wondered what your point is?   An argument would clarify what you disagree with and explain why.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>