Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did America win the war for the Allies in WW2?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did America win the war for the Allies in WW2?
    Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 19:34
Originally posted by gcle2003

Actually I think either the US, the USSR or the British Empire would have defeated Germany on their own. The big and/or rich guy usually beats the little and/or poor one.

The British Empire would have never defeated Germany on its own. It would be more proper to say that without USSR and the US Germany would have defeated the British empire without much difficulty.
Σαυρομάτης
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 19:35
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

A-bombs were irrelevant to the outcome of the war. Both Germany and Japan surrendered for different reasons.

US defeated Japan but USSR defeated the nazis. USSR would have defeated them with or without US or even UK. What's more, Soviet contribution to the surrender of Japan is far more than the American contribution to the surrender of Germany.

USSR out-produced the nazis by more than 100%. It is, in one word, ridiculous to claim that the US should get the credit for this.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 19:39
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by gcle2003

Without US military aid, without boots on the ground, without a navy to check and eventually push back the Japanese, would the allies win World War II? Maybe, then maybe not. America was the biggest reason that ended WWII in the allies favor.

Biggest reason... Hmmm....

75% of German divisions were destroyed on the Eastern Front. This is enough to conclude that America was definitely not the biggest reason that ended WWII in the allies favor.

Being that he quoted me I should take credit for that quote! The reason being is, even by putting aside the Pacific theater, the Eastern front was only one theater and not the whole war in Europe.  

Edited by Seko - 21-Oct-2008 at 19:40
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 19:51
And how about Chinese?

Perhaps, they were not that succesful, but at least they kept busy most of the Japanese land armies. And they also helped British in Burma.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 19:55
Originally posted by Seko

Being that he quoted me I should take credit for that quote! The reason being is, even by putting aside the Pacific theater, the Eastern front was only one theater and not the whole war in Europe.  

But even if it's so, how can one claim that someone who did only 25% of job is credited with the biggest contribution?

And in any case all the other theaters in Europe are too insignificant to compare with the gigantic Eastern Front.
Σαυρομάτης
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 20:30
Thanks for the questions. I know it looks like I'm showing partiality to the US and it seems that other forces were insignificant. There is nothing further from the truth. I already acknowledge various "what if" scenarios where Russia would have either slowed or even won the war without the US. However, it was, and is most likely that US involvement did turn the tide. None of the theaters were "insignificant". Let's not think of this hypotheical thread as one which produces inferior armies or nations but, instead, one that produces practical speculation.

That being said, in my opinion had the US not been invovled in (to focus on the Japanese in response to one of your posts above) the Pacific then the Impreial Navy would have been free to focus more on the Sino-Japanese War and perhaps re-evaluate the peace treaty with the Soviet Union. Being one of the tripartite states she would hold the right to further her imperial and aggressive goals against the Soviet Union if need be. However, that was impossible since, after 1943, the Japanese were losing at island hopping to the Americans.

Edited by Seko - 21-Oct-2008 at 20:32
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 22:14
Seko:

Why shouldn't you be "showing partiality to the US?"  Others are showing partiality to the USSR.

In the Pacific, it was the US and Australia and almost no one else....not India-Burma, but the Pacific.  The distances to be covered; the scale of logistics involved, and the strategy employed were all unlike anything previously seen.  Although I did not mention the Pacific theater in my previous post, the fact that the US accomplished what it did, on both sides of the world at the same time...essentially fighting two major wars...cannot be passed off as "oh you just had more materiel; the Red Army did all the fighting."  That won't wash.

The Red Army had virtually no effect on the Pacific war.  The operations in Manchuria were "carcass picking" over a Japanese Empire that was already toast.  Their effort was to secure as much influence in east Asia as possible, no less than the US wanting to head off the USSR in central Europe.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 21-Oct-2008 at 22:17
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 22:56

In order to get the idea who did more fighting one just needs to look at the statistics.

The numbers of Nazists destroyed by the Red Army far exceeds those defeated by the US.

So, all the sophisticated logistical maneuvers doesn't change much in this regard.

Also, the effort and sacrifce that the US put into the war were huge,  but definitely not as huge as those of the USSR.

Σαυρομάτης
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 23:06

In order to get the idea who did more fighting one just needs to look at the statistics.

The numbers of Nazists destroyed by the Red Army far exceeds those defeated by the US.

So, all the sophisticated logistical maneuvers doesn't change much in this regard.

Also, the effort and sacrifce that the US put into the war were huge,  but definitely not as huge as those of the USSR.

Well, we disagree on that.

Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2008 at 23:21

What is effort? If its military production the U.S. "effort" was definitelly greater then the Soviets. By a huge margin. In fact its mind boggling the amount of Weaponary the U.S. produced. Navy,Air force, Army wise.

Also over 2million Japanese were killed so it wasn't just the nazis in world war 2.

So I prefer not to discredit either sides as both did their part and then some.
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 00:02
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

The Red Army had virtually no effect on the Pacific war.  The operations in Manchuria were "carcass picking" over a Japanese Empire that was already toast.  Their effort was to secure as much influence in east Asia as possible, no less than the US wanting to head off the USSR in central Europe.
Perhaps not to the same extent, but similarly one would say of US' actions in Europe. I asked earlier in the thread what if no USSR? How would D-Day look like? (if any could exist in such circumstances). I'm not sure if Sarmat is right about those 75%, anyway I'm sure a great deal of Nazi's losses and costs were against USSR. If there was no USSR, who'd have taken those bullets? And how would have Nazi defenses look like against an Allied attack? Imagine more soldiers, more planes, more anti-air defenses, more artilleries, more tanks, more ammunition, better morale, everything. More as in possibly hundreds percents more.

Originally posted by Gundamor

Also over 2million Japanese were killed so it wasn't just the nazis in world war 2.
If I'm not mistaken, significantly more Axis soldiers died on the Eastern front. Of course, it was another type of war, but nevertheless.

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 01:57
ok first lets pick a fight with gcle

the two ships that save malta were the uss wasp and the ss ohio (the largest tanker on the seas, manned by brits but made in usa)

anyway without the help of the us navy, usaf and ships made in usa, england was as good as starving, no way to win the battle of the atlantic. imagine the uk surrounded by uboats, malta would have been the least of their problems

without the shermans, stuarts, p40s etc, i don't see how monty would have won at the alamein (dear ol monty lost in excess of 500 tanks in a week)

ok now lets agree on something, we are talking possibilities here. yes, the uk and su may have won on their own but the us contribution may have been critical. the question being how big are these mays?

first question: would the uk been able to build the bomb before germany? gcle seems sure it could. i'm not, remember that germany had heavy water that could help make one or two small bombs. i'd say the jury's out

second issue, could the allies replace the us by other countries. ie buying what they couldn't produce? no, no and no: not enough money, beside you don't turn brazil into an industrial super power in three years

thirdly would the uk be forced to pull out without the us aid to ship food and military stuff on the island. i tend to think it is the case. i'm easily 75% sure

fourth and most important, would su still be able to defeat the nazis? it's likely, but it might well have been more difficult and there is remote but existing possibility for a stalemate china v jap style, too big to fail but too weak to win. here is why:
1 even if three fourth of the nazi troops were  fighting in russia, it does not reflects the importance (or lack thereof) since a large portion of the luftwaffe as also in the west defebding germany and the hundreds of uboats built count also for something. luftwaffe and kriegsmarine were capital-intensive so comparing in terms of men engaged makes little sense but in terms of resources, i wouldn't be surprised if a good 30 to 40% were actually devoted to fight the western allies.
not forgetting the various losses caused by the usaf and raf and the western conquests
the chronology presented supra makes clear that the us aid may not have pulled such a heavy weight from the soviet shoulders as i initially thought. doesn't mean either it was useless.
plus several other arguments stated supra

all that to say that without the us, hitler had a good shot at the uk and a chance to aim for a positive stalemate with russia. doesn't the war would have reached this end for sure, but it is a possibility that can't be discarded

I am a free donkey!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 02:01
ps  the importance of the us doesn't make the soviet contribution redundant (both were essential, like flour and water for bread, very likely that the su's importance was actually signicantly higher than the us's)

hadn't it been for the su, germany would have ended as a field of smocking nuclear ruins
I am a free donkey!
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 02:21
Pretty good speculative hindsight dear Maharbbal.

Pike:  I am showing what I believe to be true and that is respect to the way the war went. I am partial to the US in many cases but that doesn't sway my reasoning in this thread  that is why I said it is furthest from the truth. For me and you, the facts about the war alone speak loud and clear. Plus the other allied forces were very significant. I choose to believe that the US forces were more so; due to her involvement, the war ended.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 11:02

What is effort? If its military production the U.S. "effort" was definitelly greater then the Soviets. By a huge margin. In fact its mind boggling the amount of Weaponary the U.S. produced. Navy,Air force, Army wise.

So I prefer not to discredit either sides as both did their part and then some.

Well, you definitely are not familiar with the statistics. The military production of the USA wasn't greater then the Soviet one. It did exceed Soviet production in some areas, but at the same time it was far behind in another areas.

And is you think that the USA territory was intact through out the war, while all the most impotrant Soviet industrial areas were lost to the Axis.

The level of human sacrifice and suffering of the USA and the USSR population is not even comparable.

So, obviously, the Soviet effort was far more greated than the effort of the USA.

Also, these Japanese casualties you are talking about. Half of them were suffered in China. So, it's oversimplification to get all the credit to the US in this regard.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 22-Oct-2008 at 11:03
Σαυρομάτης
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 11:13
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

Perhaps not to the same extent, but similarly one would say of US' actions in Europe. I asked earlier in the thread what if no USSR? How would D-Day look like? (if any could exist in such circumstances). I'm not sure if Sarmat is right about those 75%, anyway I'm sure a great deal of Nazi's losses and costs were against USSR. If there was no USSR, who'd have taken those bullets? And how would have Nazi defenses look like against an Allied attack? Imagine more soldiers, more planes, more anti-air defenses, more artilleries, more tanks, more ammunition, better morale, everything. More as in possibly hundreds percents more.

If I'm not mistaken, significantly more Axis soldiers died on the Eastern front. Of course, it was another type of war, but nevertheless.

The apocolyptic nature of the Eastern front was obviously going to yield more fatalities. This doesn't mean you can take the millions of Japanese killed or the over 5 million German soldiers the Western allies captured lightly either. 

You can say the same thing you wrote had the Soviets been alone minus the UK,France and the U.S. A lot more resources would of been available for the Germans. 
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 11:20
Well, you definitely are not familiar with the statistics. The military production of the USA wasn't greater then the Soviet one. It did exceed Soviet production in some areas, but at the same time it was far behind in another areas.

[/QUOTE

Looking at that site I see I'm quite familiar with statistics. Its quite obvious they outproduced them by a long shot. Though I'm sure you only look at tanks and artillery as the only part of military production. Thanks for the link it backed up my point.

Over simplification? I never said the U.S. killed 2 million Japanese. Simply making people aware that there is more to World war 2 then the European theater. Over simplifing would be giving some round percentage

Looking at that site I see I'm quite familiar with statistics. Its quite obvious they outproduced them by a long shot. Though I'm sure you only look at tanks and artillery as the only part of military production. Thanks for the link it backed up my point.

Over simplification? I never said the U.S. killed 2 million Japanese. Simply making people aware that there is more to World war 2 then the European theater. Over simplifing would be giving some round percentage, say 75%, totally disregarding other aspects of warfare.

Edited by Gundamor - 22-Oct-2008 at 11:33
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 12:44
careful sarmat you aremistaking somewhere in your appreciation. What mattered was not the sacrifice (input) but the results (output). The fact that millions of Russians died during the conflict is very relevant on a human and social and morale point of view but of no interest for the outcome of the war.

You can't say that the Soviet contribution was 40 times more important than the American one because they lost about 40 times more people in the conflict.

In the same way as killing 1 Japanese soldier may not be the same as killing one German soldier. Lets admit that the latter is 50% better armed and better trained (ie more expensive) than the former, then 1 Japanese soldier = 0.66 German soldier.On the other hand if logistically it was 100% more difficult to bring a Japanese soldier to the frontline, then 1 Japanese soldier = 1.3 German soldier. So comparing the output in terms of nuber of enemies killed is less obvious a solution than it may seem.

I am a free donkey!
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 13:03
Originally posted by Maharbbal

In the same way as killing 1 Japanese soldier may not be the same as killing one German soldier. Lets admit that the latter is 50% better armed and better trained (ie more expensive) than the former, then 1 Japanese soldier = 0.66 German soldier.On the other hand if logistically it was 100% more difficult to bring a Japanese soldier to the frontline, then 1 Japanese soldier = 1.3 German soldier. So comparing the output in terms of nuber of enemies killed is less obvious a solution than it may seem.
However to win a war you need to make your enemy unable to fight, to destroy his army (soldiers, equipment, tanks, planes, etc.), capture or destroy his other resources. As such USSR gets an important role if not the most important role in making WWII ending as it did, being responsible for most damage done to its enemies (at least in Europe, if not overall). The same logic some people applied earlier with Japanese being unchecked by US in Pacific applies to an Axis unchecked in Europe by USSR.

Edited by Chilbudios - 22-Oct-2008 at 13:05
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2008 at 13:06
@ Sarmat

sorry just followed your link and ... I respectfully beg to differ karasho.

The Russian GDP (is it a good mesure of Industrial output?) fell by 25% from 1938 to 1942 and had hardly recovered in 1944. On the other hand, the US GDP kept rising at 9.26% annual average).

When it comes to production, well true enough the SU outproduced the US in some key products (tanks, artillery) but the US outproduced the Soviets in all the other fields often by a 1 to 10 factor. It produced a huge effort in some stuff the SU never even dream to produce (22 aircarft carriers). This page makes clear that the industrial output of the US was significantly higher than the Russian one.
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>