Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Theology and the Word.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Theology and the Word.
    Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 14:33
It is nigh impossible to give a clear answer because it is a mystery of the church.

Ok Janus,I ll answer you for both Ideas or theories sorry I don't have names for them(the Son and The God himself):
the Son:-Islam denies Trinity because parenthood of God to any living or non-living being is inconceivable in bodily terms and degrading to the concept of God. He is neither limited nor a body, and He encompasses the whole universe. He does not have a mate in order to have a child as any other living being does.  His spiritual parenthood to any soul or spirit is also inconceivable if it means other than being the Creator of that soul or spirit. There is no conceivable relation between God and any other being other than the relation between the Creator and His creature. Otherwise, the other being will be independent from God, and he will be His partner.
Jesus is God himself:-if the ascribed son is united with God, the case will be as if I state that my son and I are one. If such a statement were true, I would be the father of myself, because I am my own son. And my son would be the son of himself, because he is I. Thus, God would be the father of Himself, and His son would be the son of himself.
God is not, and cannot be, the father of any living or non-living being if fatherhood is used for its true meaning. If the word is used in its figurative sense, to mean that God is as compassionate to His living creature as a father, then He will not only be the father of one person but the father of all mankind. And this is what can be understood from the Christian prayer, "Our father, Thou art in Heaven. . . "
But even this figurative usage of the word is repugnant to Islam because it is misleading and confusing to the people. Muslims, therefore, do not use it.
Has no contradictions between the Christian version and the muslim version if we are to interpret Allah as 'the Godhead'.

Actually my friend there is huge contradiction,Jesus in your beleive is the God himself or his son or both,in this Quote from Imam Jaffar he meant by his spirit like any human because without  God Spirit we can't exist as human.
we beleive the status of Jesus in the eyes of God is like the status of Adam. He created him from dust by his word. He said to him:
 'Be,' and so he was." 3:59
this is the meaning of His word.

There is no such knowledge, information that says Jesus will return in Quran.
  Dear Scorpious,our information is not only from Quran,it is from Sunnah(the saying and the actions of the prophet Muhammed),there are many hadiths(Saying) assure the second coming of Jesus.

Janus,Backing to you
spirit and body, is not the exclusive property of Jesus, because every human being has these two sides. You have both spirit and body, and so do I. And neither of our spirits is mortal, since our spirits will continue to live after our death. But this does not make either of us a god, and so is the case with Jesus.
and how was Mary, the mother of the God and she is human,and how God put himself in her,and limited himself .
I hope no offence in my post Janus.
regards
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 19:08
Ok Janus,I ll answer you for both Ideas or theories sorry I don't have names for them(the Son and The God himself):
the Son:-Islam denies Trinity because parenthood of God to any living or non-living being is inconceivable in bodily terms and degrading to the concept of God. He is neither limited nor a body, and He encompasses the whole universe. He does not have a mate in order to have a child as any other living being does. His spiritual parenthood to any soul or spirit is also inconceivable if it means other than being the Creator of that soul or spirit. There is no conceivable relation between God and any other being other than the relation between the Creator and His creature. Otherwise, the other being will be independent from God, and he will be His partner.

I do believe the Trinity represents authority more than parenthood. God did not mate with Mary or anyone to create life because God simply willed it through the Holy spirit according to Christian mythos. The only ones I know who believe God had sexual relations with a women to produce Jesus is a sect called the Mormons. I do not really believe in this (christianity) but in many ways you seem to be limiting God and putting him in a box of what He can and cannot do.
Since I am not a believer in any particular religion I think these people could best answer your questions

http://answering-islam.org.uk/

Edited by eaglecap - 20-Jan-2008 at 21:51
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 05:57
Islam denies Trinity because parenthood of God to any living or non-living being is inconceivable in bodily terms and degrading to the concept of God.

Again God is not a physical parent. Jesus is not 1/2 God 1/2 Mary genetically so there is no problem there.

His spiritual parenthood to any soul or spirit is also inconceivable if it means other than being the Creator of that soul or spirit.

Jesus spirit is the same spirit as God's spirit, this is what makes Jesus God in Christian eyes.

Otherwise, the other being will be independent from God, and he will be His partner.

See I think we've finally hit on one of the most difficult themes to reconcile. In Christian theology it is impossible to think of a creature that is independent from God because ultimately we rely on God to provide us with life. Well the life we require for our souls to survive, otherwise we are no better than the clay that Adam was made from.

In the same way this is why Christian theology has no problems with the Triune Godhead. Because even though each persons of the Trinity are independent they are all co-equal and co-existing with one another. It's like three people seeing David Beckham, one sees a Soccer player, one sees a British person and one sees a Husband. They are all the same person but based on the different roles he can be seen in a different light. Thus even though God is the Creator, the Word and the Spirit he is in the end of the day just God.

If the word is used in its figurative sense, to mean that God is as compassionate to His living creature as a father, then He will not only be the father of one person but the father of all mankind.

Well if Jesus is considered fully man then he would be part of mankind thus as God created the human body that was to become Jesus the Messiah then his physical body would be his Son but his spirit is the Word (which is synonymous with the second person of the Trinity).

But even this figurative usage of the word is repugnant to Islam because it is misleading and confusing to the people. Muslims, therefore, do not use it.

That is a good reason to just cut out the "middle man" and to simplify the concept of God for the layman (I hope that didn't come off as offensive). It is more important to recognize the Unity in God then to delve into the complexity that is God.

But this does not make either of us a god, and so is the case with Jesus.

Yes but we have independent souls, I surmise that Jesus was not born with a human soul and that God's own essence (or soul) became Jesus spirit.

and how was Mary, the mother of the God and she is human,and how God put himself in her,and limited himself .

God chose to limit himself because if man had original sin (which Muslims don't believe in) then it had to be taken away by a sinless man, but no man was capable because all men fall into the temptation of sin. However God could resist all sin because there is no sin with God thus he limited himself and became man so that he could take our sins and not fall into sin himself. Even though by becoming man he took a risk, since even Jesus himself nearly fell into temptation in the desert because he had not yet realized that he was God.

And it is not like Mary was just any woman. According to Catholic belief, Mary was the most perfect human ever created. She was the only human conceived with purity of body and soul (Immaculate Conception), and we are taught that she was sinless thanks to the actions of God. I know an apparent contradiction but consider that she had God's spirit dwelling inside her perhaps some of this divinity was transfered to her (but not in the sense that she shares equal status with God because she did indeed have her own individual spirit unlike Jesus).

I hope no offence in my post Janus.

No I quite enjoy our dialogue Ahmed.

Also a note on the Word which is causing a bit of confusion I think.

The Word is the Second Person of the Trinity, also commonly referred to as the Son. Now Jesus the Christ is the Second Person of the Trinity, this means that he is the Word. Now what is the Word (Logos) of God. The Word was with God in the beginning and came from God, to give an analogy the Logos would be similar to your own inner monologue. It is your conscience, the little voice inside your head, it is undoubtedly your own being, but it is not a part of your physical body. This is how the Second Person of the Trinity (the Word, the Son, the Logos) is to the First Person of the Trinity (the Father, God, the Creator). This voice was given physical form in the man known as Jesus by God's will so that mankind would be freed from original sin. This voice then left the physical world to allow God's spirit to directly enter the world. Hopefully that clears some concepts of the Christian theology up for you.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 00:45

Ahmed i am reposting my previous post to give you an theological answer on the Trinity question.

Originally posted by HEROI

Hi guys let me make a point regarding Trinity.

Let us for a moment take the example of the SUN.
 The SUN is 1, but to us it represents 3 elements.

Light, Heat, And phisical presense.

This three elements are all equall to 1 Body,THE SUN.

Now. The Father,The Son and the Holy Spirit are three elements of 1.The god

That i think would be a very simple and logical explanation of the Trinity.
Hope this would help.

And this would be very logical considering the fact that christianity has its foundations in earlier pagan religion,were the Sun was worshiped as God.Is not that easy to rule out  confidently a theory and belief that has shaped western society and the world for the past 2000 years.

Edited by HEROI - 22-Jan-2008 at 00:47
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 18:54
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

There is no such knowledge, information that says Jesus will return in Quran.

Dear Scorpious,our information is not only from Quran,it is from Sunnah(the saying and the actions of the prophet Muhammed),there are many hadiths(Saying) assure the second coming of Jesus.

My point is we ( as in muslims) have only one true reliable source in regards to matters such as that, and that source is the Quran itself. There is no information that Jesus will return in Quran and it is very unlikely ( as for me impossible) that the prophet Muhammed (puh) said smtg like that since the Quran is a complete book, and which in term means if that information is needed, it should have been in the book ( Remember God does not run out of ink) .

And let me underline something else again (as I did many times with my previous posts in different arguments/topics). The prophet Muhammed (puh) is not even allowed to explain the meanings of the versus in Quran ( the Quran is Universal - not bounded by time, so not bounded by understanding of matters bounded to time periods), so how can he say something beyond explaining but giving news about the future ( Remember nobody but nobody knows future except God - The God is not bounded by time , no concept of time as we know of)?

Peace :)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 23:30
That is all true. As far as the Apocalypse, the anti-Christ, and Christ some Christians too say the same that it is not really told in the Bible, *some say it is alluded too* and same goes for Islam there are several camps of theology. Personally I have not come to a personal conclusion on a matter I am still reading up on it, and thinking about it. However, while everything that you have posted is true and I agree with, the concept of the anti-Christ in Islam comes from the Hadith, and also from the Gospels, these being the word of God in Islam as well, and the same verses that allude to it (wheter or not is not the case, I am merely pointing out the approach to it in both religious traditins) are used in Islam alongside the Hadith. Now obviously the Hadith should not be used as a divine source, as you have pointed out rather well. Once they have been referenced to the Qu'ran and are not going against it then they can be seen as reliable (considering the grading goes from very to not so reliable).

So in a nutshell the tradition is passed down into Islamic theology and culture from both the Bible, and Hadiths, and since the Bible is a genuine book of God in the Islamic tradition it gained credibility.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 00:50
But when you use the Bible as a source of Islamic theology you should treat it in the same manner as you treat Hadiths. As in, scrutinise its sources*, and compare with the Quran.

*As in, of each book/letter/chapter of bible

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 24-Jan-2008 at 00:51
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 02:39
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

But when you use the Bible as a source of Islamic theology you should treat it in the same manner as you treat Hadiths. As in, scrutinise its sources*, and compare with the Quran.

Well put, thanks. Thumbs%20Up

BTW, non topic information, for the first time I did the calculation ( I couldnt resist sharing) , but according to God's concept of time ( as it is given in Quran -> 22:47), since we have the Quran, approx 1.4 days passed in his frame, for our understanding.

Edited by Scorpius - 24-Jan-2008 at 02:41
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 02:53
I think you will find those time frames are similes. The use of the word 'like' in translation is a dead give away.
Your not supposed to use them in a quanitiative way.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 04:00

Yes
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 04:01

I think you will find those time frames are similes. The use of the word 'like' in translation is a dead give away.

I agree, I think that the concept of time that we have, even the more modern one dealing with billions of years is too miniscule to understand God's place in time and space. Infinity is something that we cannot fully grasp.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 06:01

I can't comment about the accuracy of the translation since I can't read/understand arabic, but anyway you are right about it.

What I realized now is the word "thousand" occours in many verses especially in 2:96, maybe it is a metaphor pointing that we are the ones living by time , or I don't know, my brain shut itself down. It is late at night here :)   
Voice of Reason View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 15:21
Originally posted by JanusRook

God chose to limit himself because if man had original sin (which Muslims don't believe in) then it had to be taken away by a sinless man, but no man was capable because all men fall into the temptation of sin. However God could resist all sin because there is no sin with God thus he limited himself and became man so that he could take our sins and not fall into sin himself. Even though by becoming man he took a risk, since even Jesus himself nearly fell into temptation in the desert because he had not yet realized that he was God.

This somewhat contradicts what you have previously said Janus. Earlier, you made the point that it was God's spirit, part of himself (trinity) that was in jesus, because Jesus was a physical body inhabited by God. How then could he not know that he was God if he was God himself? Not just that, but when Joseph & Mary go to Jerusalem with family for the Passover and they leave, jesus is forgotten in the town. When they go back on the second day to find him, they eventually find him in the Temple teaching the priests and such, when asked why he would be there of all places, he says "would i not be in my Fathers house?" A direct reference to God as his direct Father.

Jesus, later when he is performing miracles and even when dying on the cross, still referred to God as his father.
Einstein said, "God does not play dice." He was right. God plays Scrabble. - Philip Gold
Knight
Knight

Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 15:24
It seems that many people here are of the muslim faith, and i have a question, please answer it the best you can, maybe i'm just ignorant.

Allah is a somewhat militaristic God right? Maybe i'm ignorant, but isn't the death of un-believers called for in the Quran? (If they reject Islam that is, i believe) So.. If Allah is a militaristic God why didn't He defeat Satan in battle immediately after his rebellion? Or is there no Lucifer/Satan in Muslim? (I'm pretty sure there is..)
Einstein said, "God does not play dice." He was right. God plays Scrabble. - Philip Gold
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 16:39
In the Islamic faith God is God; the same God that Adam worshiped, and so on... There is no variance between God, the books that were revealed are God's message to humanity, and the Qu'ran is the culmination of that prophetic tradition.

Now as for God being militarastic that is untrue, God allows for a believer to protect himself if he is attacked; however, all forms of agressive violence are forbiden and are sin (i.e. Attacking for no reason, as is continuing to fight once the attacker whom you were defending yourself from sues for peace. Basically all forms of violence unless you are protecting your own life are a sin and are forbiden)

Another thing is that the Qu'ran was revealed over a period of two decades. The Battle of Badr is mentioned in the Qu'ran and verses calling for an attack in defence of God's community, or Ummah should not lead you to believe that the Qu'ran endorses violence or that they are to be taken out of context. They apply for that battle as there are two sides to a battle and not fighting would mean that the pagans would extinguish God's community.

In Surah 9 Ayat 4 we find a good example of God being peaceful, and also commanding his followers to follow a peaceful life rather than the stereotypical "smithe them down."
"But the treatires are not dissolved with those Pagans with whom you have entered into alliance and who have you subsequently failed you in aught, nor aided anyone against you. So fulfill your engagements with them to the end of their term: for God Loves the righteous."

Ayat 6:
"If one among the Pagans ask thee for asylum, grant it to him so that he may hear the Word of God; and then escort him to where he can be secure."

Furthermore, peaceful coexistence is stressed upon. For example; Surah 2 Ayat 256 :
There is no compulsion in religion, for the right way is clearly from the wrong way. Whoever therefore rejects the forces of evil and believes in God, he has taken hold of a support most unfailing, which shall never give way, for God is All Hearing and Knowing.
Thus a believe cannot either force nor instill injustice to an unbeliever, nor is a Muslim automatically saved, nor are other believers in God and righteous individuals discluded from union with God.

Surah 16 Ayat 82: "
But if they turn away from you, (O Prophet remember that) your only duty is a clear delivery of the Message (entrusted to you)." In this verse we have God telling the Prophet that it is not the business of him or the believer to instill Islam or kill, but for the message to be delivered upon mankind. Who chooses to accept or not is not of the concern of the Prophet even, but of the individual who chooses his own path either toward or away from God.

Surah 11 Ayat 28: "
(Noah to his people) He (Noah) said "O my people! think over it! If 1 act upon a clear direction from my Lord who has bestowed on me from Himself the Merciful talent of seeing the right way, a way which you cannot see for yourself, does it follow that we can force you to take the right path when you definitely decline to take it?"

Surah 17, Aya 53-4:"
And tell my servants that they should speak in a most kindly manner (unto those who do not share their beliefs). Verily, Satan is always ready to stir up discord between men; for verily; Satan is mans foe .... Hence, We have not sent you (Unto men O Prophet) with power to determine their Faith."

Here is so much for God advocating defeat of unbelievers... and answers your question about Satan the fallen Angel, (Iblis in Arabic).

Nor does the Qu'ran advocate some sort of forced assimilation:

Surah 22 Ayat 67: "
To every people have We appointed ceremonial rites (of prayer) which they observe; therefore, let them not wrangle over this matter with you, but bid them to turn to your Lord (since that is the main objective of religion). You indeed are rightly guided. But if they still dispute you in this matter, (then say,) `God best knows (the value of) what you do."

Surah 88 Ayat 21:
"And so, (O Prophet!) exhort them your task is only to exhort; you cannot compel them to believe."

The Qu'ran clearly states that it is is perfectly fine to live and cohabitat with people who do not follow the same faith.
Surah 60 Ayat 8: "
Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just."

As far as the Hadith, or sayings ascribed to the prophet:
"Whoever hurts a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state hurts me, and he who hurts me annoys God." (Bukhari)
"He who hurts a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state, I am his adversary, and I shall be his adversary on the Day of a Judgement." (Bukhari)
"Beware on the Day of Judgement; I shall mysefl be complainant against him who wrongs a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state or lays on him a responsibility greater than he can bear or deprives him of anything that belongs to him." (Al-Mawardi)
"Anyone who kills a Non-Muslim who had become our ally will not smell the fragrance of Paradise." (Bukhari)

Hope that helps.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 18:24
Earlier, you made the point that it was God's spirit, part of himself (trinity) that was in jesus, because Jesus was a physical body inhabited by God. How then could he not know that he was God if he was God himself?

The same way that a child cannot speak nor walk when they are first born. No human body can fully contain God, so to fully reveal to Jesus that he was God all at once would be like opening the floodgates, it would have destroyed him. Thus slowly he would come to realize the fact he was God so that his mind could be filled with the knowledge without it overwhelming his inferior mortal shell.

When they go back on the second day to find him, they eventually find him in the Temple teaching the priests and such, when asked why he would be there of all places, he says "would i not be in my Fathers house?" A direct reference to God as his direct Father.

Jesus, later when he is performing miracles and even when dying on the cross, still referred to God as his father.

Of course but Father is the title given to the First Person of the Trinity, or the God of all Abrahamic traditions. In fact the most common Christian prayer begins with, "Our Father who art in Heaven...." Are we to presume that me saying this means that I believe that God is my natural father, of course not, it is the title of respect we address the First Person of the Trinity. It could also be used by Jesus in the sense of respecting the fact that as the Son he recognized that he came from God and thus should be glorified with that title.

Interesting thing about Jesus' suffering on the cross. I remember being taught the theory that for the briefest of moments, when all the sins of the world came to rest upon Christ, God separated himself from Christ, since God is perfect in all ways and could not be tainted with sin, so when Jesus cried out "Father, why have you forsaken me." It was out of that feeling of abandonment, of that separation from God for the first time in his life that he said that.

Knight
Knight

Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 14:47
Originally posted by JanusRook

The same way that a child cannot speak nor walk when they are first born. No human body can fully contain God, so to fully reveal to Jesus that he was God all at once would be like opening the floodgates, it would have destroyed him. Thus slowly he would come to realize the fact he was God so that his mind could be filled with the knowledge without it overwhelming his inferior mortal shell.

A shell is just that, a shell. Whether or not it is human wouldn't matter. We believe Jesus was fully man (physically) and fully God (spiritually). We all have souls (or minds, or the psych) which is separate from our brain. 1st God can make Himself into any size, shape, power wishful to Him. Jesus is the name of the physical body that the "Word" inhabited (as we refer to Jesus as the Word made flesh) A person/entity is a whole. It is not half and it is itself. If the Word were to inhabit Jesus, it would be just that. It would be the Word inside of a physical body, being concious of the fact that it is God, from the beginning. Saying that Jesus became aware of god-ness says that he's separate from the Word that inhabited him. But then again, Jesus is only the shell, so the mind of Jesus (the physical) doesn't exist, only the mind/spirit of the Word that was him.

Interesting thing about Jesus' suffering on the cross. I remember being taught the theory that for the briefest of moments, when all the sins of the world came to rest upon Christ, God separated himself from Christ, since God is perfect in all ways and could not be tainted with sin, so when Jesus cried out "Father, why have you forsaken me." It was out of that feeling of abandonment, of that separation from God for the first time in his life that he said that.

Yes, because they are separate entities, this is the trinity already discussed.
Knight
Knight

Quote Voice of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 14:52
Now as for God being militarastic that is untrue, God allows for a believer to protect himself if he is attacked; however, all forms of agressive violence are forbiden and are sin (i.e. Attacking for no reason, as is continuing to fight once the attacker whom you were defending yourself from sues for peace. Basically all forms of violence unless you are protecting your own life are a sin and are forbiden)

So, are the extremist Islamics such as those who did many of the bombings on the towers and are often considered terrorists going against the Quran?

In Surah 9 Ayat 4 we find a good example of God being peaceful, and also commanding his followers to follow a peaceful life rather than the stereotypical "smithe them down."
"But the treatires are not dissolved with those Pagans with whom you have entered into alliance and who have you subsequently failed you in aught, nor aided anyone against you. So fulfill your engagements with them to the end of their term: for God Loves the righteous."

Does this only apply to those whom you have an alliance with or are in a Muslim state? Many of the versus that you gave to read refer to not harming Non-Muslims when in a Muslim state, and not harming those Non-Muslims (or Pagans as it was said much, would there be considered a difference between Christians, Mormons, ect... and Pagans in Islam?) whom you have made an alliance with.

But thank you very much! it was informative, and i'm really considering reading the Quran soon.. i think it'd be interesting and i'd learn alot, you've really peaked my interest!Smile

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 15:49

Hm. I think we could all do with a good lesson in basic Chalcedonian Christology...

-Akolouthos
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 16:32
But then again, Jesus is only the shell, so the mind of Jesus (the physical) doesn't exist, only the mind/spirit of the Word that was him.

No no, Jesus is not just a shell because that seems to deny his humanity. His mortal form still required, sleep and food, he still suffered from illness, his heart was still beating blood throughout his body, he still was held back by his human mind.

Christ's spirit and God's spirit are only one. Christ still had a human brain, which could not possibly hold all of God's knowledge. Thus as his brain grew so did his understanding of the world. I mean we're not born with knowledge of Calculus but we can still discover it later in life.

Jesus' mind did exist separate from God's (does God even have a mind?) but they shared one common "soul".

Hm. I think we could all do with a good lesson in basic Chalcedonian Christology...

Well please then Akolouthos, enlighten us because I've kind of been using my own theories as to the nature of God when discussing the Trinity since I'm trying to reconcile apparent contradictions in the fully divine/fully man debate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>