Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurkey as an EU candidate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey as an EU candidate
    Posted: 09-Jan-2005 at 14:04

Okay as a Turk I believe in certain things;

1.I have been to many EU countries and I admire the system in Europe; the way people perceive politics and culture and so on. It is a huge success for countries to come together after 2 great wars in one century.

2.Europe has made a courageous effort to allow the post-communist countries into membership and the second effort is to allow Turkey in. It is going to be hard; we will have a population of 80 million or even more ten years from now and we have the largest land mass in Europe after Russia. We will have to work a lot and reforms will be on the way. However I don't want the Europeans to use Turkey as the scapegoat of their own problems such as the heated debates on the newly written EU constitution.

3.If the Turkish government manages to establish the reforms necessary for EU and if we succeed in becoming a truly modern and secular state, it won't matter that much if we do or do not enter the EU. Nobody can guarantee that the EU will be the same in 10 years.

4.Turkey has stepped into a path where she cannot turn back. From now on with its new Lira system our nation is more sure of itself than ever. I would like to thank all European statesmen for understanding that co-operation between the EU and Turkey can be beneficial for all parties.

I hope these thoughts won't appear too optimistic but seeing the progress done in the past, one wishes to be so.

Aristoteles View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 06:40

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

all this argumentations reminds me when the NAFTA was signed. I'm sure Turkey will be doing great.
Plus, it sounds like a great hipocresy to question the entry of Turkey to the EU.
Reasson why it's Turkey is already a NATO member and it was like Germany, the first line of defense in case of a Warsaw Pact attack during the Cold War.
Turkey is good enough to bleed for the EU, but not good enough to be a trade partner ?
Sounds coherent for you ?

Regards

Bleed for Europe? Well excuse me, but how has Turkey bled for Europe? The one and only time Turkish forces have bled for anything NATOic, was in Korea and they bled for their good ally and protector US of A - which, last time I noticed, has absolutely nothing to do with Europe. Plus, Turkey - as the "first line defense against Warshaw pact" - was receiving generous compensation by their ally: immunity for the wrong-doings they did all over those years to their minorities, plus they have invaded a sovereign country with the blessing of USA and still occupy 1/3 of this country contra to every sense of international law and order, and not to forget that they are receiving every year generous funding for the ties turkey has with USA.

EU, even though several non-Europeans seem to believe the contrary, is NOT a US-NATO protectorate, but an economic (primarly) union of sovereign EUROPEAN countries. Turkey is neither European nor on par with the other EU members. USA is not (or at least should not) having a say in European affairs and Turkey is USAs ally, not Europe's.

This is not a welfare pact or a home for the poor US-allies to find refuge, it's a completely different thing altogether. There are criteria for those who wish to enter. It's neither a matter of history (and Turks have a few centuries of anti-European actions, if you really want to go into history) nor petty politics: Do they have what it gets? They'll become members. If they don't, they won't. So simple.

Infidel

Does it?  With this new flow of ex-Warsaw Pact members I don't see what is that supposed ideal of "being an european". It's just about politics, let's get real. I don't think there's a shared identity of europeanship. At least for now

Oh, yes there is. And Turkey is not part of it. Neither is, for instance, Bulgaria, but there is much less separating Bulgaria from Europe, than Turkey. You need to understand what really Europe is. Obviously you do not.

Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 10:11
Pal,
if you go back to my previous post and read it carefully, you would comprehend the context of my statement.

By accepting a country in a militar alliance as the NATO and deploying nuclear weapons as the NATO did on Turkey, the NATO fully accepted a member that was willing to fight in a war
( http://www.strategic-air-command.com/missiles/00-missile-hom e.htm ).

Plus, USA is also founder member of the NATO.

Thanks to NATO, Europe did not became another soviet satelite, agreed ? I think that every state member that took part of the disuasive tactics during the Cold War deserves a credit and recognition for their commitment.

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2005 at 22:47

well, pal, then I guess NATO and especially the country that is dominating NATO (that is USA) should give credit and recognition to the countries being the "front line" against "communism"... My suggestion: if USA really wants to aid Turkey, make it a State. 53rd, I think?

Why unload Turkey to Europe? EU ain't NATO. Half EU members were not NATO members, anyway.

And Turkey wasn't the only country bordering Warshaw pact countries. Let's inclued South Korea in the EU. Let's restore the Shah to Persia and include them in the EU too. Greece, Finland, Austria and Germany (the other "first line" countries) are already EU members so we don't have to deal with them too

cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 14:37
Originally posted by Christscrusader

yes, but the greeks are not killing off kurds any denying them of their history. And during the Ottoman Period, the rest of Europe referred to it as a "pest", and that it did not belong their,

This is a very simplified vision of Ottoman Empire's role in Europe. It was certainly not a "pest" if you were not Polish or Hapsburg.
There was a whole bunch of European alliances with Turks (France, Sweden, Russia and even Hapsburg sand England at some time). Turkey and Ottoman Empire were and are important part of Europe. Also Reform movement in Europe was supported heavily by Ottoman Empire. No country has a spotless history.

I never heard of Ottomans burning scientists or philosophers at the stake.

Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2005 at 20:15
Alliances with the Ottomans were made in times of desperation, prehaps maybe when a European state was becoming too powerful, such as France during King Louis the XIV? Anyways, I personally think in most European minds they would prefer the threat gone. And more with the Hapsburgs. Didn't they try to unite Bohemia, Austira, and Hungary, and they did have wars with the Ottomans anyways.
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2005 at 13:18
Originally posted by Christscrusader

Alliances with the Ottomans were made in times of desperation, prehaps maybe when a European state was becoming too powerful, such as France during King Louis the XIV? Anyways, I personally think in most European minds they would prefer the threat gone. And more with the Hapsburgs. Didn't they try to unite Bohemia, Austira, and Hungary, and they did have wars with the Ottomans anyways.

You are ignoring the historical facts. In the XIX century French and English were defending Turkey against Russia (Remember the charge of the Light Brigade).
Even Hapsburgs allowed Ottomans to use their territory in fight against Russians.
Actually, most of Europeans realized that Russia became the biggest threat to Europe in the XIX century and Turkey became important strategically, long time before NATO.

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 00:56

Personally I am against of being a part of a declining power. I do not see any future in Europe and I am not supporting Turkey's candidacy to Europe. Turkey and EU will live as neigbours and it would be better making cooperation (if possible) instead of getting too close for both of them.

I think Turkey should strenghten her ties especially with Russia in all matters and other Turkic republics in Central Asia. If USA can revise his policies over Middle East and have much intellectual and vise government, Turkey should make cooperation with USA and keep EU away from the area as much as possible.

I do not see any future with Europe at all............ 

Edited by Alparslan
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 08:34

As a mostly economical partnership, the EU should have no stance on religion or inner politics. If they wan't the comunity to be a strong economical power, they should just shut their eyes to a country's traditions and beliefs.

As for me, I don't mind Turkey entering the EU. As long as they turn Istanbul's name back to Constantinople... 

Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 15:58
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

. As long as they turn Istanbul's name back to Constantinople... 

Well spoken, my orthodox friend, Constantinople as the capital of the Neo-Byzantine Empire, a member state of the EU. There even is a candidate for the vacant throne:

http://www.new-byzantium.org/houseof.html

I think they take that serious!

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2005 at 18:41
No need. Its not a Christian city anymore.
-Jc
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 02:39
Originally posted by Aristoteles

Plus, Turkey - as the "first line defense against Warshaw pact" - was receiving generous compensation by their ally: immunity for the wrong-doings they did all over those years to their minorities, plus they have invaded a sovereign country with the blessing of USA and still occupy 1/3 of this country contra to every sense of international law and order, and not to forget that they are receiving every year generous funding for the ties turkey has with USA.

In fact you are not responsable if you get knowledge of distorted history. So let me remind you and other forumers some facts which had been witnessed in near future. 

Greece was ruling by an ultra nationalist American supported junda (military government) since 21 April 1967 to 1974 summer. You can get a detailed information from A Short History of Modern Greece, by Richard Clogg (Cambridge University Press, 1985), pp 185-199. (and you can find many other sources too of course)

http://www.cyprus-conflict.net/coup_in_athens.htm

They did not stop only in Greece and they wanted to establish their corrupt regime in Cyprus too via a coup d'etat by removing the pro-Soviet president Makarios in 1974. Greece was backing by Americans. They have killed many Turks and Greek communists and Turkish population were concentrated in enclaves. Their aim was ENOSIS which means annexation of Cyprus to Greece. Enough is enough and Turkey invaded half of the Cyprus DESPITE HEAVY AMERICAN OPPOSITION. USA has put embargo on Turkey after this. 

You are distorting everything, you are trying to sell crow as nightingale.

Turkey is neither European nor on par with the other EU members. USA is not (or at least should not) having a say in European affairs and Turkey is USAs ally, not Europe's.

Yes Turkey is an ally of USA like many other Europeans country. You are showing as crime to be an ally of USA. On the other hand we are not an ally USA under all conditions. For example Turkey did not allow US troops stationed in Turkey to attack Iraq. There is are limits of this relation.

It's neither a matter of history (and Turks have a few centuries of anti-European actions, if you really want to go into history) nor petty politics.

What do you mean by anti-European politics? In Europe millions of people died in wars who had been started by Europeans. Isn't it an anti-European politics? Are those Turkish crimes too? European Union was built as a peace project. The basic aim of EU is this.  France and Germany had decided that they will go nowhere if they would not forget the past. Do not forget that while Ottomans were fighting against European states at the same time they were ally with some others.     

There are criteria for those who wish to enter.

Would you please tell me if there is a Turkish minority in Greece or not. Ysterday there was a news saying that Greek supreme court has decided that it was illegal to use the word TURK in a Turkish association in Greece.

Is it true? If yes, do you think it is fair and it is appropriate to the criteria that you mentioned above? Is this the human rights that EU is looking for?

Do you accept that there is a Turkish minority in Greece or not?  

And Turkey is not part of it. Neither is, for instance, Bulgaria, but there is much less separating Bulgaria from Europe, than Turkey.

Oh really? What is your problem with Bulgaria? But it seems like Greece have always problems with their neigbours. Macedonia, Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey...... That is all I think.

Don't you ever think if there is a some kind of mentality problem of Greece or not? What is your problem?

Edited by Alparslan
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 05:29

In fact you are not responsable if you get knowledge of distorted history. So let me remind you and other forumers some facts which had been witnessed in near future.

Greece was ruling by an ultra nationalist American supported junda (military government) since 21 April 1967 to 1974 summer. You can get a detailed information from A Short History of Modern Greece, by Richard Clogg (Cambridge University Press, 1985), pp 185-199. (and you can find many other sources too of course)

A random source is not evangellical truth, my friend. There are US State Department written records showing that USA did not object the invasion of Cyprus by Turkey. Your National Committee (the Generals, in other words) have asked for clearance from the St. Dept. when they had everything set and ready for the invasion and the St. Dept. gave them the Green light.

It's all in the records, if you are actually interested into it. Add to it that US planes have confronted Greek planes, while the latter were trying to get to Cyprus to aid the desperate Cypriots in their struggle against the Turkish forces. US airforce did not allow Greek planes to fly to Cyprus, if you didnt get it. I would call that support of the US, wouldnt you?

If you care to read history from various source (and not only those who serve your point of view) youll find out many interesting FACTS, my Turkish friend.

Yes Turkey is an ally of USA like many other Europeans country. You are showing as crime to be an ally of USA. On the other hand we are not an ally USA under all conditions. For example Turkey did not allow US troops stationed in Turkey to attack Iraq. There is are limits of this relation.

Once more (since you are deliberately setting up strawmen): Jalisco was stating that Turkey, being a US ally and NATO member, should be awarded by entering EU. and I tried to make him understand that USA is not an EU member and EU does not equal NATO, so any NATOic obligations are NOT obligations of EU.

Do you believe that Turkey has a right to enter the European Union because Turkey is an ally of USA? If so, could you please elaborate WHY you think so?

What do you mean by anti-European politics? In Europe millions of people died in wars who had been started by Europeans. Isn't it an anti-European politics? Are those Turkish crimes too? European Union was built as a peace project. The basic aim of EU is this. France and Germany had decided that they will go nowhere if they would not forget the past. Do not forget that while Ottomans were fighting against European states at the same time they were ally with some others.

I specifically stated that this is not a matter of history, since someone was trying to say that Turkey has been a traditional ally of the Germans etc. I dont really think history is a decisive factor in this, but many people seem to believe the opposite. And they hold the loooong struggle between the Ottomans and most Europeans, as a factor in this. As I said, I dont think thats relevant.

Would you please tell me if there is a Turkish minority in Greece or not. Ysterday there was a news saying that Greek supreme court has decided that it was illegal to use the word TURK in a Turkish association in Greece.

Is it true? If yes, do you think it is fair and it is appropriate to the criteria that you mentioned above? Is this the human rights that EU is looking for?

Do you accept that there is a Turkish minority in Greece or not?

There are specific international trieaties stating beyond any doubt that there is no ethnic minority in Greece, be it Turkish, or Mongolian, or Martian. Greece has no ethnic minorities, all ethnic Turks in Greece have been exchanged with Turkey after 1922.

There is a muslim minority in Thrace and thats it. Those Muslims are Thracian, Pomak and others and most of them speak besides Greeks also Turkic. But they are not Turks, period. Canadians speak English, are they Brits? Argentinians speak Spanish, are they Spaniards?

Nice try to dodge the issue about the actual issues existing in Turkey with minorities and with the worst record in human rights you so proudly uphold.

Oh really? What is your problem with Bulgaria? But it seems like Greece have always problems with their neigbours. Macedonia, Albania, Bulgaria, Turkey...... That is all I think.

Don't you ever think if there is a some kind of mentality problem of Greece or not? What is your problem?

Nice way of debating. Is that how you debate in Turkey? Read carefully what I wrote, and maybe youll even understand its meaning. Then come back and ask me a question in a POLITE way, if you wish an answer.

Thank you.

Edited by Aristoteles
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 11:50

Alparslan is right here.

1. America did not support Turkey in Cyprus.

In Cyprus America was trying to avoid the collapse of the Southern wing of NATO, which means avoiding a full scale war between Turkey and Greece, and in order to achieve it they applied pressure on both sides.

U.S. placed a crippling trade embargo on Turkey after the invasion of Cyprus (which was in response to an annexation attempt by a non-democratic country) in 1974. This embargo was lifted only after Turkey shut down the NATO bases in Turkey. So the 'america did not object' argument goes down the drain, there were serious shortages of fuel, etc. because of that embargo in Turkey. Turkey faced American opposition to its actions in Cyprus during the 1960s as well, i.e. the infamous 'Johnson letter'. By the way, applying the same logic one can say the US did not object to the Greek invasion of Cyprus (through proxy) either. Of course, you'll think that this is incredible and you'll start whining why nobody appreciated your banditry if you believe Cyprus should belong to Greece...

It seems that Greek nationalists are quite rabid supporters of the 'Turkey being the best friend of America' conspiracy theory. Iraq affair clearly shows who America's best friends are. Looking at the issue from the other side of the Aegean, you'll see that Greece got more military/economic help from America than Turkey did (the official ratio is 7 to 10: 7 to Turkey, 10 to Greece). 

2. NATO is not US.

Turkey is a member of all European institutions you care to name, from the ECJ to the Champions League, from the very beginning. Discussions on Turkey being part of Europe are indeed very recent, have started recently due to provocations by people opposing Turkish entry to the EU. What people have been saying here is 'apparently Turkey was European enough to be integrated in joint European defence during the cold war (or to be allowed to join other European institutions), so it is hypocritical to discuss the Europeanness of Turkey now'. In other words, for the usual right-wing scum in Europe Turkey is European when it comes to defending their asses but is Asian when it comes to opening borders... Fill in bogus geographical, historical, etc. arguments as you see fit and agitate the masses for votes.

3. There are ethnic minorities in Greece.

Turks included. Greek government usually denies it, although the previous foreign minister called them 'Turks' for the first time. It is like the way Turkey used to say 'Kurds are mountain Turks'. By the way not all Turks were exchanged with Greeks in the 20s. Around 100k Greeks in Istanbul and Turks in Western Thrace remained where they were. The Greeks in Istanbul later left for Greece, mostly due to pressure from the Turkish state. The Turks in Western Thrace stayed in Greece mostly because they were poor and non-urban, i.e. less mobile.

4. Istanbul is very probably a short form of Constantinople. Take the syllables -stan-pol, add an I to the beginning (Turks always do, because Turkish words don't start with 2 consonants) and you are almost there.

Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 12:44

When Poland was divided between Russia, Prussia and Habsburg Empire in XVIII century, Turkey as the state never accepted this. Greetings and support from Lechistan.

Edited by Rava
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 13:35
neither did Austria, but they grapped soem land anyways...
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2005 at 17:51

Beylerbeyi,

WHy did Greece not invade Cyprus then? Are you saying that they are just going to let the Greek Cypriots fight on their own, when they wanted to annex the country? we are rational people, there had to be some outside force stopping Greece. The US thought it was in its best interest if there was not a war between Greece and Cyprus, and figured by stopping Greece from invading Cyrpus, it could stop a potential war. Why is there no pressure now to get Turkish troops out of Cyprus? I Highly double a Greek invasion of Cyprus now a days. Supposidly Greece and Turkey are better "friends", yet they still have alot of standing troops in Cyprus.

-Jc
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 02:15

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

you'll see that Greece got more military/economic help from America than Turkey did (the official ratio is 7 to 10: 7 to Turkey, 10 to Greece). 

It's actually the other way round

In any case of course there're minorities in Greece. There're 200,000 Muslims in Thrace (mainly). But the composition is unclear. Some are Pomacks, some Turks and some Gypsies. Almost all of them are bilingual of even trilingual (Pomacks).

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 07:40
Originally posted by Yiannis

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

you'll see that Greece got more military/economic help from America than Turkey did (the official ratio is 7 to 10: 7 to Turkey, 10 to Greece). 

It's actually the other way round

At least in the 90's it was. In the 90's Turkey was the 3rd biggest receiver of American aid (after Israel and Egypt), but it may be true that Greece receives more aid nowadays.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2005 at 08:52

No it doesn't, it has actually been reduced even further. You refer to military aid in the form of equipment and FDS (military credit) right?

Because we don't receive any other kind of aid.

But it's strange to see that Egypt is receiving so much!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>