Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do Greeks looks like Persians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Greeks looks like Persians?
    Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 13:10
TeldeIndus, sorry i'm curious, why do you put the word "Telde-" in your nickname?
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2006 at 21:08
Originally posted by TeldeIndus

Originally posted by Maju

Also, I can't open your link. It says "the document contains no data".

That's odd, it works for me. 

http://www.geocities.com/littlednaproject/W-MAP.GIF 

This one works, thanks.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 00:04

Originally posted by Ikki

TeldeIndus, sorry i'm curious, why do you put the word "Telde-" in your nickname?

Hi Ikki, It's two words in Pashto (language spoken in NWFP province in Pakistan). Tel (always) and de (from), sometimes it's translated as forever, so it doesnt make much sense and I didnt give it much thought to be honest  

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2006 at 05:45
OK. Telde is the city where i live in Canary Islands, is a berber word and possibly mean "the fertile" but isn't clear. I know another region with that name in the Atlas mountain and when i see your nick i thought "wonderful, another Telde but in the middle of Asia"

I don't like the indouropean theory, but, do you know? In spanish the word "de" mean "from"

bye

PD. Nice penguins
Arpad View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Arpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 22:56

It is impossible to say Greeks look like Persians and persians look like greeks.. In this day and age there has been soo much mixing of populations that the line between ethnicities is become blurred. I have seen many iranians that look -arabic/ greek/ mongolid/ turkic/ and ofcourse persian. . But in a way when i look at some greeks they look persian aswell.

Many people ask us iranians in Australia if we are greek or italian, and it is the same for all other meditereanean looking peoples, but i think us iranians can easily tell, also greeks aswell can tell the difference. Although the difference is not easy to tell as say between greeks and sweedes. But it is there non the less. . .

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 05:25
When I was in Iran, I visited an old Armenian church (I can't remember if it was in Isfahan of Shiraz - it was the one with the famous wall paintings and the Genocide museum next to it). I was there with a Finnish lady and after the church we visited the museum. There a young Armenian guy saw as and asked the lady where she's from, afterwards he turned to me and said "you must be Greek!". I still can't figure it out how could he tell...
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 06:06

Same here too but it whas little bit foolish I whas stopped in Hungary for a break while i whas going to Turkey, so i went to a wall market out there and bought some thing etc. When ive try to enter my car someone called me in Turkish, the same "i asked how did you know i whas Turkish?" he replyed "dont act foolish you have a T-shirt with Turkish flag sticked on it..."

Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 14:54
It's probably just because of all the population movements and mixing over the centuries. The farther south you go in the Balkans, the shorter and darker people seem to get.

I come from the closest and most southern point before entering Greece and I have to say this is not true. I myself am 6'5 and the average family member on my fathers side is 6'. My mothers side has Greek mixture and even so they are on average(mostly females) about 5'7. Of all the family members only my cousin falls into the Balkan stereotype of short and dark skinned. If you go to areas of Korca or even in Saranda in Albania you will still find many light skinned and tall people. Ofcourse the height is recent since for much of the areas history it has been agriculturally based. Same with the greeks I know who have been raised in the metropolitan Greek enviroment. They are rather tall on average(will in 6 feet).

Edited by Theodore Felix
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 15:09
Originally posted by DayI

Same here too but it whas little bit foolish I whas stopped in Hungary for a break while i whas going to Turkey, so i went to a wall market out there and bought some thing etc. When ive try to enter my car someone called me in Turkish, the same "i asked how did you know i whas Turkish?" he replyed "dont act foolish you have a T-shirt with Turkish flag sticked on it..."

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 17:59

Where are the pics? ...

I'd say a little, but not much. Are we talking about the Hellenic Age?

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 18:14

Here: http://www.hackneys.com/alex_web/graphics/mosaic.jpg

u can see alexander chasing darius - they have same complexion.  this was drawn not long after the battle (13 years after Alexander's death apparently)

dorian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 04:55
You know that the climate has an impact on the configuration of the phenotype of a nation. All the mediterranean populations since the ancient times tended to be darker. In addition the man has developed, has become higher. It's a natural procedure. Actually we don't look like Italians so much. I think that we have lighter skin than them.
"We are Macedonians but we are Slav Macedonians.That's who we are!We have no connection to Alexander the Greek and his Macedonia�Our ancestors came here in the 5th and 6th century" Kiro Gligorov FYROM
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2006 at 11:22
Italian are dinaric based, so their faces tend to look "harder" then that of Greeks. Its one of the most obvious things them trying to compare Italians and Greeks. Its not just lighter skin, Italians differ greatly and I have seen other Greeks that far exceed Italians. It is that main factor that I mentioned above.
The "hard" face is also apparent in Albs.
Not in my family though, one Greek grandmother completely left my family a race of soft and smooth skinned babyfaces.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 03:33
you would have to be specific on what part of italy your comparing with. From what ive seen calabrians are shortish and pretty dark, with northern italians much fairer at the other end.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 12:35
greeks are on average taller than both northern and southern italians
Herschel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Herschel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 14:29
Some of those Italians who live in the Northern border regions (Alps) don't have any Mediterranean look what so ever.
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 16:43

Originally posted by hansel

greeks are on average taller than both northern and southern italians

I would not be too sure about that... I think they more pretty similar in height.

Edited by strategos
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 18:05
Some of those Italians who live in the Northern border regions (Alps) don't have any Mediterranean look what so ever.

Because if we look at it classicaly. Northern italy was inhabited by the Gaul. I would agree that northern italians look far more like French then their southern counterparts.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 18:24
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

Because if we look at it classicaly. Northern italy was inhabited by the Gaul. I would agree that northern italians look far more like French then their southern counterparts.

Well, all original Italians came from Southern France in the Paleolithic, then in the Neolithic they suffered new waves of peoples from the Balcans and particularly the Aegean region, a trend that continued till historic times. Therefore any genetic table will tell you that Italians are a mix of Western Europeans with Aegean and also some Balcanic elements. The Aegean presence is obviously much stronger in the south while almost non-existent in the north.

The historical influx of Celts is probably not very relevant.

A exception is Sardinia, that with Corsica was settled mostly in Neolithic times being before virgin territory. They are one of the most anomalous groups in European genetics, together with Lapps.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Apr-2006 at 14:29
The similarity between Greeks, Anatolians, and Persins is probably a result of the Gravettian and Neolithic expansions.
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>