Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Cruelest Leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Which is the most cruel leader in history
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [8.81%]
39 [24.53%]
6 [3.77%]
45 [28.30%]
46 [28.93%]
9 [5.66%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Dalsung Hwarang View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dalsung Hwarang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Cruelest Leader
    Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 23:58
I'll say:

1) Stalin
2) Hitler
3) Genghis Khan
"He who seeks death shall live, and he who seeks life shall die." --Admiral Yi.
timurshah View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote timurshah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 13:37
i think hitler was the cruelest. genghis had rules and he got somebody killed when his rules werent obeyed. but hitler was crazy and he got sb. killed whenever he wanted!!!!!
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 14:07
I voted for Stalin, but I definitely think Pol Pot was the cruelest leader in history.  In Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia if you left the government alone you had a reasonable chance of having them leave you alone more or less, or at least not being killed.  In Khmer Rouge Cambodia everyone was either a slave or a master in the purest sense of the word.  I think Khmer Rouge Cambodia is the closest we have ever gotten to 1984 on Earth.
Member of IAEA
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 16:22
Originally posted by Attila2

Hitler's slaughters were againts a race,though he thought he is doing good to his own nation,which means he is not doing those massacres for his own power.

may be my english is to bad , did i understood it right ????
hitler thought he did the best for his own people????? not for his own power.
jesus christ, let me take this expression, cause i can't breath anymore. hitler and his murder clique squezzed out their people  ,made a genocide for only one reason ,which have despots in the whole universe . to increase their own power and to laugh at ones they agonized (? ,correct ).
is this here the week of white-washing the nazi terrorism on that forum ?
the last contemporary witnesses will  be soon dead ,so let us record their voices for the eternity.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 19:05

yeah, you know what he said: The happiest thing for a man is killing his enemies and taking their daughters and wiives........

Originally posted by dirtnap

Genghis Khan - because this dude just rolled over everyone... It would take a nuclear war to achieve the number of casualties this guy finished off.

Cruelest? Khan was fond of pouring molten silver into the ears and eye sockets of "soon to be not living" political enemies.

Anyone could argue the cruelest...

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 23:29
Originally posted by Genghis

I voted for Stalin, but I definitely think Pol Pot was the cruelest leader in history.  In Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia if you left the government alone you had a reasonable chance of having them leave you alone more or less, or at least not being killed.  In Khmer Rouge Cambodia everyone was either a slave or a master in the purest sense of the word.  I think Khmer Rouge Cambodia is the closest we have ever gotten to 1984 on Earth.

Historians will always have a particular gripe with that tyrant. No man of letters (so often the target of Pol Pot's slaughter) could possibly concede the slightest credit or good word to Pol Pot (nor should they). I cannot think of a more regressive force in the history of civilization than Pol Pot's regime.
Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 15:28

Probably Stalin. True he was trying to eliminate as many opponents as he could-all it took for somebody to be sent to gulags (or executed) was tipp off from your next door neighbour. He also enjoyed reading long lists of those who were to be executed. This dictator wouldn't exchange his own son for a certain german general during WWII.

Estimated no. of casualties during his reign was about 20 million people. His director of secret police-Beria could also be considered as one of the cruelest figures of authority ever.   

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 02:15
I think Pol Pot should be added to this list in place of Vlad.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 05:55
Originally posted by dirtnap

I think Pol Pot should be added to this list in place of Vlad.

The thing about this poll is that these men were cruel in different ways, each with its own appalling mystique. Vlad were terrible because he so much enjoyed a personal experience in which victims were tortured and killed for his pleasure. Stalin, for the mass production bending of the nation to his plans and the killing which often accompanied it. Hitler, for his brutal racial killing and killing on an industrial scale. Mao, for his overzeal and vain glory that rushed his people into the Great Leap Forward and through neglect and lack of realism killed tens of millions. Pol Pot, for his atrocious slaughter of those constituting the educated and doing more than any man to push civilization back into the stone age. In each case there is a particular macabre aspect to each, how bad each is depends on the subjectivity of the individual.
Forgotten View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Forgotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 14:12
Originally posted by Heraclius

To be fair to Genghis Khan he lived in a totally different time to us when mass-slaughter and horrific tortures were the norms right throughout europe and asia.

You'd think though by the 20th century we'd of grown beyond such things as a species, however Hitler, Stalin and Mao are some of the most disgusting people to have ever existed.

stalin , lenin and mao are all filthy terrorist animals ordered thier gangs to kill millions in central asia , north asia , mongolia , tibet and manchuria , in my opinion they are more racist than hitler.

i would like also to remind the readers about what the spannish , portugies , americans , and english leaders and gangs did in all the world specially in north and south america.

Donasin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Donasin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 12:52

I'll say Stalin. People had to clap after his speeches for hours and wait for a bell to ring to stop. If anyone stopped before that they were killed. Also Stalin had thousands of Jews about to be sent to Siberia, but was stopped only because of his death. That added on to all of his other massacres puts him at the top in my mind.

I got my information form the History Channel so I think its accurate.

Edited by Donasin
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 13:23

Jus to make something clear:

1. Vlad Dracula - never heard of him. Who's this guy?
  2. Vlad Dracul - son of Mircea cel Batran (Mircea the Old). Ruler of Valachia december 1436 - autumn 1442 - spring 1443 - december 1446.
  3. Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler) - son of Vlad Dracul. Ruler of Valachia 1456 - november 1462.

"Dracul" was the nickname given to Vlad because he had a dragon on his coat of arms (armorial bearings?). He was not a cruel leader at all, at least not by that age standards. In Romanian "drac" is more close to mean the meaning of devil or demon than dragon.

Vlad Tepes (the Impaller) was nicnamed according to his favourite punishment. Yet there are stories of him burning alive some boyars and more. He was not cruel, he was ruthless. He learned this punishment from the turks where he lived before becoming ruler.

Cruelty must be considered based on the period a person lived. We have higher standards now than in the era of Genghis.

Think of Robespierre, was he cruel or not, according to the ideals he upheld.

An individual without morals or conscience is cruel?

My vote goes for Stalin, the ideal he was supposed to sustain was no match for the cruelty of his rule.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 13:37

Cezar, you may not be aware of this, but Vlad Tepes was portrayed very very badly by German chroniclers, and his cruelty exaggerated. This was likely due to his persecution of German merchants from Brasov. Hence his image in the west has always been very different from his image in Romania or a few other countries in Eastern Europe such as Russia. There's a topic on this in the Medieval Europe section, if you're interested.

Anyway, the whole poll is very subjective. I think that cruelty and ruthlesness or pragmatism are often confused. Also, cruelty implies a certain pleasure taken in punishing or killing someone else. It is very arguable whether the leaders mentioned in this poll were actually cruel. My guess is that most of them abstractized the deaths of the people taht they were responsible for. They did not likely think of them as humans. Take Hitler for example: he was a vegetarian. I wouldn't be my house on it, but I don't think he necessarily would have enjoyed watching someone getting tortured for example. He probably did not consider the Jews, Gypsies, etc. as human beings and in all likelihood he did not watch any of them get killed. For Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, etc. the people getting killed were a means to an end, and a statistic. Could they really have stomached and even enjoyed watching millions of people dying? I think not.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 10:20
I would have to suggest Adolf Hitler as the cruelest leader in world history. Genghis Khan was ruthless, maybe more so than Hitler, but lived in a time where mass slaughter was not uncommon. He had the military prowess to create the largest empire in history and brutality was simply his political tool. Adolf Hitler, on the other hand, was more of a modern monster. I think it is safe to say that he should be considered the most ruthless leader in history for his acts of mass genocide. Hitler was an eccentric killer, and though extremely charismatic, ruled by an iron fist. The Holocaust alone should land him this title, as I feel that this was the most ghastly and evil act of the twentieth century.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 19:00

I believe the cruelest person ever is gavrilo princip, sure he was doing for a good cause, but to kill a someone over it! Like Cain and Abel all cruelty comes from(as we know it in the 20th century) from a murder of Archduke Franz Ferdinand which launched WWI that led to a detorioration of the Russian gov. that led to the bolshevik revolution and subsequently Stalin, also led to the defeat of germany which shoved hitler into power, without doubt the cruelest person, while doing a supposed good thing!

Ones choices do make differences

P.S. Who got Princip into the black hand

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 19:03
going even further back Pope urban II launched the first crusade against muslims, which led to islamic expansion into europe which led to a split in the balkan nations which is what Princip was fighting for, so... kudos Pope Urban II
Hector Victorious View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Hector Victorious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2005 at 20:11
I would have to say hitler.......
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 21:17
Hitler, due to the fact he massacred millions ...
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 23:57
Originally posted by Jahangir

going even further back Pope urban II launched the first crusade against muslims, which led to islamic expansion into europe which led to a split in the balkan nations which is what Princip was fighting for, so... kudos Pope Urban II

Not really, the Islamic expansion into Europe had been going on centuries before Urban II. Whatever Urban did, the Turks would continue their struggle with Byzantium. The Crusaders probably slowed the process of expansion down, if anything. In Spain, they actually assisted in the success of the reconquista.
Beowulf View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Beowulf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 04:58

Jahangir: cruelest person ever is gavrilo princip? What kind of rubbish is that? What kind of logic is that? If you knew history a bit better you would know that Germany was just looking for an excuse to start a war and expend their empire. Princip killed one man... and he wasn't the only one in history to do such a thing. How can you compare him with Hitler, Stalin, Genghis Khan, Pol Pot etc.

You can't blame one man for historical events of such magnitude...

Can I ask you not to speak of things beyond your comprehension!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>