Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Worst U.S. President

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst U.S. President
    Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 14:31
Originally posted by Decebal

Go on some websites from around the world: the BBC, the CBC, if you don't speak any other language but English.

BBC, lol, yeah right!  I would trust Nazi propaganda more than that!

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 15:22

The dropping of the atomic bomb was the most prudent thing Truman ever did (and I think he was a very good President).

You say the US salughtered innocent civilians, big f**king deal, it's a war, the point of war is to kill your enemy.  I don't even care if they were all old ladies, just by going to work, making sandwiches for factory workers and soldiers or paying their taxes they were our enemies.  In a war, the lives of the enemy are immaterial.  Any sentimental old woman talk of slaughtering civilians shows a weakness of moral fortitude and lack of mental aptitude.

The bombs ended the war without a single US casualty.  Unless some other way could be shown to end the war without any casualties on our side, my stance on the annihilation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki will never be changed.

Member of IAEA
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 16:32
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Go on some websites from around the world: the BBC, the CBC, if you don't speak any other language but English.

Is that really the best you can do in the way of defence?

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 17:26
BBC is so derned biased and Amacherish reel amarikans woch Foks.
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 17:28

Of course you would you're a conservative and therefore you share similar beliefs with the Nazi's.  ZING!!!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 17:52
Originally posted by Genghis

The dropping of the atomic bomb was the most prudent thing Truman ever did (and I think he was a very good President).

You say the US salughtered innocent civilians, big f**king deal, it's a war, the point of war is to kill your enemy.  I don't even care if they were all old ladies, just by going to work, making sandwiches for factory workers and soldiers or paying their taxes they were our enemies.  In a war, the lives of the enemy are immaterial.  Any sentimental old woman talk of slaughtering civilians shows a weakness of moral fortitude and lack of mental aptitude.

So Kardzic and the others,  Hitler himself... they just did they job... that's your reasoning, isn't it?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 17:52
Originally posted by gcle2003

No, but I hjave given my defense over and over and over and over.  And every time, I get the same response, over and over and over and over.  Quite frankly, I'm tired of it. 

I suppose ocnservatives and Nazis have some similar ideas.  something like locking up all democrats

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 18:01

No, but I hjave given my defense over and over and over and over.  And every time, I get the same response, over and over and over and over.  Quite frankly, I'm tired of it. 

I suppose ocnservatives and Nazis have some similar ideas.  something like locking up all democrats

general:

I don't think you are going to convince them

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 18:23
Truman was a great President.

The dropping of the Atomic Bomb was without a doubt the right move. If WW2 history showed us anything, it is that the Japanese were fanatical. Their civilians jumped from cliffs when US troops approached their towns. They had thousands of kamimaze bombers lined up to counter an Allied invasion.

Ever heard of Saipan??? The Japanese considered it one of their home islands in a way.  The battle was so intense that the Allies got a taste of waht invading Main-land Japan would be like.

Many more covilians and Allied soldiers would avhe died if we had invaded. Now, for the part of history that Maju may not know about. Before the first Atomic bomb was even dropped the Empereor and his military leaders were utterly deadlocked. A surrender was not going to happen. Saying that Japan was trying to surrender is nothing more than a historical myth.

And get this.....even after Hiroshima...........the Hirohito and his military leaders were still deadlocked worse than ever. The Nagasaki bomb changed that. And there is absolutely no doubt that Japan is better off today since there was no invasion.

A-bombs: 2 cities destroyed

Invasion: Whole nation destroyed

you do the math.............

Edited by Illuminati
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 18:57
Originally posted by Illuminati

This is a deceitful proposition.

Negotiation: no one destroyed. My maths are much better.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 19:16

Maju:

I doubt that any negotiation with the military masters of Imperial Japan would have been likely in the absence of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The Japanese miscalculated that in 1941 the U.S. would not resist their advance in Asia.  They felt absolutely certain that it would be we who would beg for a negotiated peace....that Americans were weak and pleasure loving, and would not fight.  I guess they got that wrong.

It is a pity that Harry truman had to make such an awful choice.  His responsibility was to the American troops who would have had to invade the home islands.  He was THEIR commander-in-chief.  Japan had to accept it's own responsibility, and bear the consequences.

Just in the last day or so, Japan formally apologized for war crimes that, in many cases, were worse by far than those committed in Europe.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 19:30
Originally posted by Genghis

Originally posted by Laelius

The Japanese had mobilizied the entire population to fight off the invaders.  Those families you speak of would have faced the American army with rifles and whatever tools and farming implements they could find, lets not forget the willingness of Japanese civilians to commit suicide at Okinawa by throwing themselves off the cliffs.  You think the Atomic Bomings were bad?  Just imagine uncountable waves of Japanese old men women and children armed with vintage rifles, spears and shovels charging headlong into the tanks, machine guns and artillery of an American army.

Im sorry, but both of you are horribly wrong.

Actually, the majority of the Japenese population was appealing to their government to work out peace negotiations with the Americans. The only people who believed in the Japanese cause at this time were the Japanese militants who were running the country (they are the ones who believed the Japanese should fight down to the last person). What you stated was the propaganda the American government used to drop the bomb. The Japanese actually sent requests to the Americans to set up peace talks.

Roosevelt was the President who was in power when the Japanese sent the peace requests. Roosevelt drew up a plan for the Japanese surrender, and in which he stated that the Japanese were able to keep their emperor after they surrendered (they viewed their emperor as a divine being). Roosevelt died, and when Truman took over, he was not a good decision-maker, and thus he was heavily influenced by 3 men: Henry L. Stimson (anti-communist), General Leslie Groves (in charge of the Atom Bomb project), and Secretary of State James F. Byrnes (anti-communist). Byrnes is the one who convinced Truman to take out Article 12 of the peace negotiations with Japan, which meant that if Japan surrendered, they were not allowed to keep their emperor.

The Americans were to meet with the Japanese in the peace talks in a city called Potsdam. Truman delayed the Potsdam negotiations for months, and scheduled it to take place on July 17th 1945. On July 16th, one day before the conference, the U.S. had the "Trinity Test" in Alamogordo, New Mexico in which they tested the Atomic Bomb. In the Potsdam conference Truman (under the influence of Sec. of State Byrnes) removed Article 12 which meant the Japanese could not keep their emperor if they surrendered. They had tested the bomb one day earlier, and the results were better than anything they imagined, and so they did not feel they needed to negotiate with the Japanese, which is why they gave the Japanese an ultimatum, not a peace gesture.

To sum it up, here are the 2 views on the Bombing of Japan:

Traditional:

1. Japan would not surrender
2. U.S. had "no options", and they either had to:
a. Drop the Nuke
b. Invade Japan costing 500,000-1,000,000 American lives

New Scholarship since 1965, with the release of declassified documents and the major players in the incident coming forward:

1. Japanese were deeply divided, tilted toward surrender, only needed a pretext to surrender.

2. U.S. had options:
a. Work with the peace faction in Japan (overwhelming majority of the population)
b. Get USSR to join Pacific War (which they did 2 months before Roosevelt died, in Feb. of 1945)
c. Tell Japanese they could keep their emperor (stated in Article 12 of the Potsdam treaty, which Truman removed).

The governmental reason that the United States had for dropping the Nukes was because they wanted the Japanese to formally surrender to the U.S., and not the USSR, so that the U.S. would be in charge of the post-war reconstruction of Japan, keeping it out of Communist hands.

From 1858 until WWII, the Japanese economy and trade was dominated by U.S. business. In 1858, Japan had enjoyed nearly a century of self-sufficiency, and its trade was closed to all nations. The United States Navy came to Japan in 1858 (Japan did not have a navy or an army at this time), and the U.S. basically told Japan that if they dont open their trade to the U.S., that they would basically blow them away. The Japanese had no choice but to let the U.S. take over their trade. This was known as the U.S.-Japan Treaty of Amity and Commerce, which is one of the treaties now known as the "Unequal Treaties".

The Treaty Stated:

-exchange of diplomatic agents

-opening of various ports to U.S. sailors

-ability of U.S. citizens to live and trade in those ports

-fixed low import/export duties

-extraterritoriality for U.S. citizens

The U.S. was in charge of deciding who Japan could trade with and who they could not trade with, a MAJOR disrespect and international humiliation for the Japanese. Their economy was stagnated by American intervention and policies, and thus during WWII, because of the need for resources and to prevent economic collapse, the Japanese bombed the MILITARY BASE at Pearl Harbor. Everything after this, i have explained above. There you go, the dirty truth of the Bombing of Japan.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 20:42

"The rank and file are usually much more primitive than we imagine. Propaganda must therefore always be essentially simple and repetitive." --Joseph Goebbels,

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 21:51
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Illuminati

This is a deceitful proposition.

Negotiation: no one destroyed. My maths are much better.

Do you know nothing of history? The Japanese government was internally deadlocked. The war would have gone on. The Allies were going to invade one way or the other. They had already started assigning US Army units to re-deploy to the Pacific after Germany fell. Negotiations would ahve gone nowhere. The military leaders in Japan were not going to give in. Heck! They didn't even give in after hiroshima. Their resolve only got stronger, and the deadlock only worsened.

Dropping atomic bombs was better than an invasion in every way. It killed a less number of civilians than an invasion would have and saved the lives of tens of thousands of Allied Soldiers, which in my opinion was the most important thing. And lets not forget that the entire Japanese military was fanatical. They didn't surrender.

The Japanese military wanted nothing to do with surrender. And as history has shown...........the Japanese military was just as powerful as the emperor. The emperor could have made an appeal for negotiations, but the military didn't care what Hirohito did, Hirohito was not solely in command of Japan anymore............thats why negotiations would have only drug the war out longer.

Drop A-Bombs: 2 cities destroyed

Invasion: Whole Nation destroyed

Start negotiations: War rages on for months. Japanese Military refuses to give in. Allies invade.

Edited by Illuminati
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 22:59

I dont think anyone reads my dman posts.  You people disguist me with your high minded idealism.  I am the only member of this forum I know of with relatives who lived in Japan during world war two.  I know from their personal stories that the whole civilian population was indeed mobilized to fight to the death and that very few head figures favored peace.  My grandmother was 14 years old and trrained to kill with a bamboo stick so dont seek to lecture me with your revisionist history.  Already she had lost 16 members of her family in one night due to the firebombing of Tokyo.  An invasion of Japan would be about a million times more destructive than that and I would not exist along with millions upon millions of other Japanese. 

Sure some elected figures wanted peace, and so did the emperor, but guess what, they had no power, only th emilitary extremists had power.  Just beacuase America historically has a horribel foreign policy and currently is very evil doesnt mean everything its done has been evil.  The atomic bomb was one of the best things done by Truman, not only for America but even more so for Japan.

I owe my life to the atomic bomb.  ANy invasion Soviet help or no (actually Soviets would probably make it worse) would have killed far more people.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 23:01

BBC is by far the most objective and ubaised news source I have ever seen.  It shames any American news network.  It also talks about the entire world wheras American news networks will ignore a major event in a foreign country and opt instead to talk about Micheal Jackson or other irrelevant crap.

-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2005 at 23:30

I've read much about this, there were Japanese peacefeelers, but many were diplomats in neutral countries like Sweden and Switzerland and were not acting under orders from the government in Tokyo, and even if they were able to hammer out an agreement, what's to say the extremists wouldn't have slaughtered the peace group?  Some defied the will of their god emperor and tried to keep his surrender speech from being aired.  Think about, these people wanted to fight so much they went and disobeyed God.  Those don't sound like the type of people who would agree to sit down and chat about a way to end the war.

Member of IAEA
blake79 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote blake79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 02:47

The worst President would have to be the most overated John F. kennedy.

Had his private life hit the headlines he would have been impeached and removed from office.

He had a sexial relationship with a communist spy from the U.S.S.R and then had the girl deported when she was called to testify before congress. blatant abuse of power.

More than any president he pushed the world to the brink of full scale nuclear war over missles in Cuba while just a few years later the Soviets were deploying subs off our coast with more warheads than had been in Cuba.

Was a drug addict who was using cocain and other drug enjections to sooth his back problems. Something that was illegal even then.

Mislead the people about the exstent of his health problems. Chances are had he lived he would have died within 10 years.

Was the only president since Hebert hoover not to sign any civil rights legislation into law. 

Avoided civil rights in order not to alienate southern "Dixiecrats"

Opened the door to Vietnam and laid the foundation for full scale American involvement.

I think the only thing Kennedy did to help the nation was to ride around Dallas, Texas in an opened topped limo.

His brother Bobby also did us a favor by walking through the Kitchen in 68.

His Son John Kennedy J.R was a high flying dare devil air ace until he ran into the ground.  

Ever notice that Kennedys die at a faster rate than anybody else ?

The only reason why Kennedy is so loved yet never did anything as President is he was killed before his lies and coverups came to light. Had Gerald Ford died even he would have been called a "Great President."

As far as dropping the atomic bombs. At the time they were considered as just another weapon to be used. We did

Had Japan surrendered when they should have before we dropped them the whole issue would be mute.

Japan was a defeated nation by late 1944 and like the nazis refused to seee it.

Japan used bio and chemical weapons on China in 1930s and killed more Chinese than Hitler killed Jews.  Ever heard of the Rape of Nanking?

Japan should have known better than to attack the biggest economic and industrial power in the world. America built more ships planes and tanks in World War 2 than all the world combind.

I myself believe that dropping the bombs did more for world peace than anything before or since. No nation on earth has since used nuclear weapons in an armed conflict.

We could and should have fought the war Japan wanted to fight and dropped enough atomic bombs to have eraced the japenese race from the face of the planet.

YOU LOST GET OVER IT!

Edited by blake79
All Rise!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 03:03

Okay you idiot you just crossed the line.  Despite that I agree that JFK is a horrible president and that the atpomic bombs were right to drop I am part Japanese and while I am neither nationalistic nor even pridefull inethnicity saying that the US should have wiped the Japanese race from teh Earth is a kind of statement AE cannot tolerate about any ethnic group of people.

Expect at the LEAST a warning.  You were doing perfectly fine until your last two statements.  Japan should have payed for her crimes, big time, but not by having an entire race expunged.  The reasons the bombs are great was that they prevented that from happening. 

But your little conclusion has made you appear to be a bigger ass than anything I might ever say could. 

-Alexander Hamilton
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2005 at 05:53
No need to respond to the Nazi.

But in general, i agree JFK wasnt a such a wonderful president. He smoked pot in the oval office with one of his girlfriends (her name is in a book i have, currently letting my friend borrow it). Not that i have anything against smoking pot (), but thats probably the best thing he did as president. He was just put under unusual circumstances (only Catholic president, got assassinated, rumors about being with Monroe ), but its rare you hear anything that he did as president...oh, besides Vietnam . His V.P. Johnson was no academy award winner, either.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>