Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What about Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about Bulgaria
    Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 07:59
Originally posted by Komnenos

What do I think about Bulgaria?

Remember the 10/7/1994?
Letchkov and all that?

16/7/1994 was more interesting
tzar View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote tzar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 08:28
Originally posted by Murtaza

I think tzar is right.

Turkish minority is fine at this time. but well at past, It is another question.

Well we can not live with past.

So Bulgaria is fine! We should support it.

Agreed, let's leave past on the past!

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Komnenos

What do I think about Bulgaria?

Remember the 10/7/1994?
Letchkov and all that?

16/7/1994 was more interesting

Everybody listen only this which understands.
esadbodur View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote esadbodur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2005 at 19:50
my mothers father came from a village around rodops they say dobroce to bulgaria something like that
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 03:46

Hello everybody. I'm new in this forum and I'm sure that we'll have loads of fun discussing history and world politics.

And now let's get down to business.

my mothers father came from a village around rodops they say dobroce to bulgaria something like that
esadbodur, I didn't get what you mean. Please explane.

Has anybody here ever been to Bugaria? And what do you know about it, besides "Letchkov and all that"?

, 24 - ?

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 05:17
If you see in the previous page, I have been to Bulgaria.
CARRY NOTHING
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 05:22
Originally posted by Menippos

Yep, they call it rakia in Bulgaria, and it is somewhat stronger than the usual mediterranean version.

everyone knows the real Rakija comes from Yugoslavia(all the countires in it)

Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 07:45

everyone knows the real Rakija comes from Yugoslavia(all the countires in it)

I'm not sure where rakija comes from, but saying that it doesn't come from Bulgaria but from Macedonia is quite a lauph, because from 811 A.D. to 1945 the term Bulgaria equaled the term Macedonia. Or, to be more precise, Macedonia was part of Bulgaria. It's like saying that something doesn't come from the U.S.A., but from Florida. Another important thing in Macedonia today is the process of re-bulgarization of its slavic population. Every day the Bulgarian embassy in Skopje is crouded with candidates for Bulgarian citizenship. To receive it you have to prove your Bulgarian ethnic origin!!!

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 15:43
Hho cares if it is Bulgarian or Yugoslavian or Turkish or Andalusian or Hawaiian (ill_teknique is Bosnian by the way, not FYROMite). It is nice and very enjoyable.
We make it in Greece too, and in my region we make a variation that's bitter.
CARRY NOTHING
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 16:22
Albanians have made an altogether different variation of it. I dont know what we add to it, but I remember tasting my friends Greek raki once(we were bored in his house and thought lets just get drunk and play street fighter) and it tasting more... as you said ... bitter.

My dad likes to keep it in water bottles, I used to play nice jokes on my friends sometimes , we would come to my house on a hot day and he would rush for water, I would hand him a bottle(I did it once to different people) and he just drank from it. LOL!!! I stopped when i realized that Albanian raki cannot be found anywhere in America and I was wasting it like a moron....

Edited by Iskender Bey ALBO
The Guardian View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote The Guardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 16:47

Originally posted by Phallanx

Been there a couple of times, mostly in Sadanski and Petric. Nice country, beautiful landscapes, loved the ancient Hellinic artifacts in the Sadanski museum. Real cheap but what annoyed me was the 'pimps' continuously harassing you to spend a night with a "woman" (16yr old girls actually, seen a couple that were younger).

Oh yeah.Like this guy came up to me and says ''20 Euros'' pointing a girl aged 15 or so.Disgusting

On the other hand Bulgarian girls are one of the hottest looking ones on my opinion

Edited by The Guardian
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
                             &nb
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 20:16
Originally posted by Iskender Bey ALBO

Albanians have made an altogether different variation of it. I dont know what we add to it, but I remember tasting my friends Greek raki once(we were bored in his house and thought lets just get drunk and play street fighter) and it tasting more... as you said ... bitter.

My dad likes to keep it in water bottles, I used to play nice jokes on my friends sometimes , we would come to my house on a hot day and he would rush for water, I would hand him a bottle(I did it once to different people) and he just drank from it. LOL!!! I stopped when i realized that Albanian raki cannot be found anywhere in America and I was wasting it like a moron....

Great pranksters think alike...
CARRY NOTHING
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 04:44
What is the percentage of alcohol in albanian and greek rakija? In Bulgaria it contains around 40 % C2H5OH. BTW, greek rakija is called uzo, isn't it?
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 04:53

I've also been to Bulgaria and liked it a lot. I've been to a reastaurant up the mountain that is next to Sofia (can't remember the name) and enjoyed folk music and some dancing as well. Many tunes were similar to Greek ones and the food was excellent. I'll be there again next month.

Raki has approximatelly 40% alcohol. But we don't call it raki everywhere. In Samos we call it "Suma", in Crete they call it "Tsikoudia" & "Raki", in Northern Greece "Tsipouro" and I'm not really sure where else in Greece they call this drink "Raki".

Raki is a totally different drink from Ouzo, they taste very differently.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 05:00

Yiannis,  the mountain right next to Sofia is called Vitosha. Did
you climb Cherni vrah - the highest mountain peak in Vitosha. I was there last week and there was a little restaurant next to the lift.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 05:16

I'm affraid I didn't climb much, I've been driven there by car

I don't know the name of the place but it was a very "classy" one and looked like a mountain chalet. I saw Stoichkov & Konstantinova (sp?) there, they were having some kind of party!

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 05:57
Wow, what are you - a millionare? How old are you and what is your job? I'm 18 and I finished school 2 months ago. 
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menippos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 06:11
Yiannis is oooooooooooooooooold 
CARRY NOTHING
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 06:19

Look who's talking , I'm only 37 years young....

Anyway, I'm not a millionaire, but I can afford some expensive dinners from time to time (especially if I can charge the bill to the company expences.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 06:26

To eat in the same restaurant with Hristo Stoichkov requires deep pockets indeed. But I guess in Bulgaria everything is very cheep compared to Greece. How's life in the E.U.? Do you travel a lot?

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 07:10

Indeed prices are quite cheaper in Bulgaria than Greece. I always have a good time when in Sofia and I like Bulgarian people & culture very much! It feels like home when I'm there.

Living in the E.U. doesn't affect life much, not in a practical manner that is (or I'm so much used to it, that it don't see the difference). You'll tell me of your impressions once you join, in a couple of years

Travel is easier indeed and I can travel to some countries just with my ID card and common currency means I don't have to worry about exchange rates. I also travel a lot, but that's because of my work.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>