Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Phenotype of original IE speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phenotype of original IE speakers
    Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 11:20
Originally posted by Socrates

Have u ever thought that those slanted eyes could belong to pre IE peoples that were assimilated by IE's.As it happens in Serbia we have the days of Lapp culture-they are blond,but they look more mongoloid to me then Swedes and Danes-infact you can check the distribution of mong. gen. marker on the site of univ. of texas(i can't remember the whole adress)-so u can see that those mong. genes come from a non IE source(it is a fact that scand. IE's assimilated some of them).U might be right that original IE's assimilated some Mongols.Try investigating about Tocharians-they were white and in the heart of Asia.

By the way,what is your nationality?(Maju)

Lapps are the more Mongoloids of Caucasoids, that's pretty clear however you look at it. Their branch hangs in the Caucasoid one but very separated from the others, mostly due to Mongoloid (Uralic) admixture.

I don't think that IEs had time to conquer any Mogoloid people before they invaded Europe, as Europe was their first destination. But I do consider that the Nordic slanted eyes are part of the original variability of Caucasoids and not any late incorporation. After all Caucasoids and Mongoloids (Northern Asians) are very close in the family tree of Humankind and slanted eyes is not exclussive of Mongoloids anyhow (Khoi-San also have that trait).

But is good to consider all possibilities, specially considering that the region of ultimate origin of IEs is now inhabited by mixed peoples, with rather strong Mongoloid features (Kazaks, Tatars).

I'm Basque, and you? Ok, Serbian, I forgot.

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 11:33
Again, from where have you gotten that we have slanted eyes? I've never seen that.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 11:52
Look at this German astronaut, look at his eyelids:

I'm sure you've seen thousands with simmilar eyes. He obviously has partial Mongoloid eyelid, which consists in a double forld. In this case, as in most European cases, the double fold is only partial, but it is still noticeable.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 15:51

I can only see he has no eyelashs.

but seriously do you think all germans looks like this? your claims are very adventurous.  

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:49

What  about your people (Basques),Etruscans(or not??),ancient Brits etc.They were pre IEs,and none were blonde,tall.with light coloured eyes(anthropological evidence).All were mostly mesocephalic.Such were the ancient inhabitans Germany(again anthr. evid.).I almost forgot the pre IEs of my own country-people of the Vincha culture-it is almost certain they werent IE,since their culture dated over 6000BC.Their civilisation was spread all over Balkans.Their culture was highly advanced at the time(u can do some googling on Vinca-or Vincha).U can conclude from the existing anthropological and archeol. evidence that pre IEs were not of yours description.

Unless somebody destroyed all the evidences(X-files are back again!!).

Are u really Basque?

Edited by Socrates
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 13:20
I almost forgot the pre IEs of my own country-people of the Vincha culture-it is almost certain they werent IE,since their culture dated over 6000BC.Their civilisation was spread all over Balkans.

Well actually it wasn't exactly 'their' culture, since they were strongly influenced if not direct decendants of the older Sesklo culture, actually Vinca was just one of the first 'outposts' while spreading North into Europe..

Edited by Phallanx
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 13:58
Originally posted by Maziar

I can only see he has no eyelashs.

but seriously do you think all germans looks like this? your claims are very adventurous.  

Can't you see it? It's pretty evident, specially in the most visible eye. The double fold gets about 1/3 of the eyelid.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 14:06
Originally posted by Socrates

What  about your people (Basques),Etruscans(or not??),ancient Brits etc.They were pre IEs,and none were blonde,tall.with light coloured eyes(anthropological evidence).All were mostly mesocephalic.Such were the ancient inhabitans Germany(again anthr. evid.).I almost forgot the pre IEs of my own country-people of the Vincha culture-it is almost certain they werent IE,since their culture dated over 6000BC.Their civilisation was spread all over Balkans.Their culture was highly advanced at the time(u can do some googling on Vinca-or Vincha).U can conclude from the existing anthropological and archeol. evidence that pre IEs were not of yours description.

Unless somebody destroyed all the evidences(X-files are back again!!).

Are u really Basque?

Don't know what you're talking about now and it seems you misunderstood me. I never said that blondisms were IE (I think it was you who said that actually), I said that the partial Mongoloid eyelid found in northern, central and eastern European populations could maybe be from that origin.

There are Basque blondes but they are not that common, btw. Typically Basques are dark haired, at least adults, and fair haired ones are not too blonde. Another thing is in the British islands (yet Welsh are less blnd than English, for instance). Anyhow, I wasn't discussing blondisms but Mongoloid eyelid in association with IE migrations.

And yes, I'm Basque.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 14:12
Originally posted by Phallanx

I almost forgot the pre IEs of my own country-people of the Vincha culture-it is almost certain they werent IE,since their culture dated over 6000BC.Their civilisation was spread all over Balkans.

Well actually it wasn't exactly 'their' culture, since they were strongly influenced if not direct decendants of the older Sesklo culture, actually Vinca was just one of the first 'outposts' while spreading North into Europe..

Phallanx, we know that all came from Greece (or through Greece), at least in the Neolithic. But let me point that Vinca is associated to Dimini, not directly to Sesklo. The correlate of Sesklo in Serbia, Hungary and Transilvania is Starcevo-Koros-Cris.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 03:08
  Phallanx, we know that all came from Greece (or through Greece), at least in the Neolithic. But let me point that Vinca is associated to Dimini, not directly to Sesklo. The correlate of Sesklo in Serbia, Hungary and Transilvania is Starcevo-Koros-Cris.

Well Dimini is the continuation of Sesklo, as for Starcevo-Korosm, while many connect it to Sesklo, I haven't yet found C-14 tests to agree on a specific date. They actually vary from 6200- 4700 with most results pointing to the 5th mill. So, dispite the problems in may bring up in various theories.. untill that is definitely cleared, I think you'd agree that there is no reason for us to use it in cognation to Sesklo
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 03:41
The direct connection Sesklo and Dimini is disputed by some archeologists that see signs of foreign invasion. We have already discussed about that. It's clear that Sesklo and Starcevo were the background on which 5th milennium cultures Dimini and Vinca stabilished. For all practical purposes, consider this basic chronology:
  1. Early Neolithic (until c. 5000): Sesklo in Thessaly, Starcevo-Koros-Cris in Serbia, Eastern Hungary and Transilvania, Karanovo I and II in Bulgaria. All related.
  2. Middle and Late Neolithic (c. 5000-3500: Dimini in Thessaly, Vinca in Serbia and Karanovo III-Veselinovo in Bulgaria, all related. (In the late Neolithic, c. 4000-3500, Bulgaria is assimilated by Danubian Boian culture -> Boian-Marica.
  3. Chalcolithic (Early Chalcolithic in pan-European chronology) (c. 3500-3000): Rakhmani in Thessaly, Bubanji-Hum in Serbia proper (not in Vojvodina anymore), Karanovo-Gumelnita and related subcultures in Bulgaria and Vallachia. They are direct descendants of the previous ones, but influenced apparently by Troy.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 05:20
All I'm saying is that those slanted eyes might be of non IE (pre IE) source in Europe.By the way, I don't notice those slanted eyes.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 07:58
I thought the whole mogoloid/caucasoin/negroid shebang was about skull measurement. Eye shape can give clues, but by itself is not an indicator.
And yes, you can see it in him, the corners, but thats pretty common, i've seen Africans with it too.
Arrrgh!!"
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 03:41
Maju

Actually Sesklo wasn't destroyed untill approx. 4400BC and Dimini was founded in 5200BC so beyond the obvious connection in pottery styles, fortification, 'buildings...etc that make an 'invasion' unacceptable since there is no new culture 'imported' but we see only a evolved form of Sesklo.
It has been proven that Sesklo was destroyed by an earthquake and not by raiding invaders, while Dimini continued to grow and prosper. If invaders had destroyed Sesklo, there is no possibility Dimini would avoid the same fate being only a couple of km away.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 05:25
Originally posted by Phallanx

Maju

Actually Sesklo wasn't destroyed untill approx. 4400BC and Dimini was founded in 5200BC so beyond the obvious connection in pottery styles, fortification, 'buildings...etc that make an 'invasion' unacceptable since there is no new culture 'imported' but we see only a evolved form of Sesklo.

Are the datations so accurate? I think that Sesklo was rebuilt but already in the context of Dimini culture - can you confirm this extreme?

I have already mentioned in other topics that there are some significative changes in: appearence of male religious icons for the first time in Europe, change in burial customs, destruction or abandoning of some villages, change in pottery style, particularly in the colors used. Also the Dimini-Vinca pottery is found southern Anatolia (Can Hassan) again as apparent invaders.

Still, we find that there is some clear continuity. It wasn't a total destrucution and replacement but rather something more "normal" and possibly gradual, where the invaders were partially assimilated into the local culture. There is even a "renaissance" of Sesklian culture for a while and the Bulgarian case shows a much stronger continuity (compared with Thessaly, Macedonia and Serbia).

It has been proven that Sesklo was destroyed by an earthquake and not by raiding invaders, while Dimini continued to grow and prosper. If invaders had destroyed Sesklo, there is no possibility Dimini would avoid the same fate being only a couple of km away.

Rather, if the invaders had their local center in Dimini, it seems quite logical. Instead an earquake should have destroyed the two villages equally, being only 2 kms. away from each other, don't you think? Instead raiders can well have been much more selective, specially if they were stabilished precisely in Dimini.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 09:48
Those are the dates I know of as presented by K.Kotsakis, D. Theocharis, E.Blowedow,  V. Milojcic and P. Halstead, which have all done and published their research on the Neolithic of Thessaly..

If you recall the pic of a figurine I posted as an example when refering to the 'Askoi', it is named 'the Thinker' and depicts a male. that is actually considered the 'ancestor' of the later 'thinker' during Early Neolithic.
see pic:

or the "kourotrophos" of Sesklo:

Burial customs don't seem to have such a great difference from one 'culture' to the next. We actually have finds of three different types of burial in most Neolithic settlements.

1. Primary internment of the dead in simple pits, usually in a foetal or crouched position. Finds of a rock in the mouth is also common (remember the myth of Charon)
2. Cremation of the dead, partial (Early Neolithic) or complete (Late Neolithic), accompanied by vases, or placed in vases, the finds in the Hellinic area are of the oldest in Europe.
3. Collecting the bones of the dead individual and burying these beneath  the house or in a specific part of a cave..

Well Dimini is actually some 10 km from Sesklo, but without knowing alot about earthquakes, I do think that the 'quake' having a larger effect on one area (destruction)  than the next, is very possible.

Anyway, if you look into an analytic map that depicts the area, you'd see that getting to Dimini without comming into contact with Sesklo is impossible. Unless we'll believe that the 'invaders' came, passed right next to the 'culture' they were to later destroy, settle, come into close contact in order to adopt elements from their culture and then destroy them.. I don't see that real possible..
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 12:37
The invaders are supposed to be the bearers of the Dimini culture or at least of the diferent aspects of that culture that merged with Sesklo. They are also, if I'm not wrong the founders of the village of Dimini, which, to some shows a (disputed) hierarchical organization.

I am not sure about the invasion but Sesklo is not the only village burned or abandoned - and honestly I doubt an earthquake can destroy a village to the ground and leave another, just 2 km away, totally intact. Hard to believe. But if Diminians raided Sesklo, then all fits perfectly.

Thanks for the images: they are beautiful. I was unaware of men being portrayed in Early Neolithic.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 07:09
Not really sure what you mean by "hierarchical organization". If you are refering to the society, I really haven't seen any certain reconstruction, obviously due to lack of finds, other that burial, pottery..etc which obviously aren't enough.

Let's see, we've agreed that both Sesklo and Dimini are the areas where these cultures originated, that they 'exported' their culture instead of 'importing' it, yet we continue to mention invaders.

My whole point from our very first discussion on this or a similar topics is that, the difference in these two cultures seem to be based on a logical evolution and not due to some invisible invaders.

I could accept such a notion if we saw these cultures being originally formed in Bulgaria or Serbia for example, and then descending towards Hellas..
But now, I find it simply unacceptable to insist on invaders from Anatolia or anywhere else, passing through lands without comming in contact with the existing population and traveling some thousands of miles, only to re-settle in Thessaly or Peloponnesos. Where they'd form a new culture and then 'export' it towards the lands they already had passed through without previously leaving a trace.

So the next logical explanation is they must have came by sea.
But do we know of any of the Anatolian or Middle Eastern Neolithic cultures having the ability of such a journey by sea ?
I personally know only of Neolithic finds in Frachthi (Argos), Gioura (Skopelos), Koufovouno (Lakonia)..etc of undoubtable proof of shipping as far back as the 8th mill.
So could the 'differences' seen be something totally unrelated to your theory of invasion or my theory of evolution and be simply an adoption by commerce?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 07:41
Found this reconstruction of Dimini:

The invasion theory doesn't talk of invaders from the Balcans, at least in the case of the Sesklo-Dimini transition, but rather invaders from or via Anatolia, where they are also found as invaders in Cappadocia (Can Hassan). These same supposed invaders would take over the other Balcanic cultures of Macedonia, Serbia and Bulgaria.

I can't say anything more than what I've already stated. The destruction and sudden abandonement of Sesklian villages seem the strongest evidence in favor of the invasion theory. Yet there is also a revival of Seslian culture for some time after the apparent invasion, so there is also cultural continuity.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 10:54
Interesting pic..

Here are two clearer pics of the reconstructions that I think are better for a comparison..

Sesklo

Dimini

There are no "Sesklian villages" but only one site in Sesklo, unless you include Dimini which isn't connected to this theory since it never was abandoned but we actually have proof of the continuous occupation untill the Bronze age or if you're including other sites of the same 'time sphere' as Dimini, like those in Larissa, Makrygialos or Sitagroi but then the problem is the lack of any evidence that could be connected to an invasion..

I fail to understand your persistance in favor of an invasion since the archeologists (mentioned above) that preformed the digs, have rejected the possibility of an invasion and you accept the obvious cultural continuity. What are the arguments in favor of the invasion. The male figurines, the fortification, pottery styles, burial customs all pre-existed, so why reject the obvious possibility of evolution..

I for one, see a major difference both in the figurines and in the pottery of Canhasan since we see an absence in spiraliform and meandroid patterns distinctive of the Hellinic Neolithic. A search will also give a difference in burial customs and a total lack in fortification. Besides, wasn't Canhassan 'founded' after the date given for Dimini.. I think so.

Here are some pics of artifacts displayed in the Ankara museum found at the site in question. (I'm also posting Dimini artifacts for an easier comparison)

Canhassan House figurine

Dimini house figurine

Anthropomorphic figurine from Canhasan

Anthropomorphic figurine from
Dimini : (as seen above)

and

I think this is a face

From  Canhasan

a better one:

Dimini (characteristic 'seed eyes')

Pottery Canhasan

Dimini pottery :

I also find that again the distance is a major problem, we see the alleged invaders leaving Konya, which is in Central Anatolia and without comming in contact with anyone, finally settle in Thessaly..

And why would any invader not bring some kind of cultural influence to the invaded area, but instead adopt the existing culture he allegedly destroyed. Lets assume that they did invade, even though dates don't agree with the theory, why abandon the already 'conquered' lands but instead settle somewhere else.. ??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>