Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe worst genocide in modern history

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Poll Question: which one is the worst genocide of modern history
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
160 [21.92%]
150 [20.55%]
106 [14.52%]
16 [2.19%]
191 [26.16%]
107 [14.66%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Murtaza View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst genocide in modern history
    Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 10:47

Oh didnt know Ismail is his first name.

Should they count Turks or not?

Arent 1.2 million low also? I mean, 1.5 Armenian  and what about the Assyrian and Greek Pontic people died too.

Maybe It should be something like 3-4 million.

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 13:31
Well, i still have a feeling that the Ukrainian - Russian - North-Caucasian genocide by Stalin in 1932.-1933. was the worse. Total passivness by many of the ruling class of the USSR to deliver anything foodlike to the area of massive size. Children looking for food near cities were taken by trucks to the farthest place from towns by GPU squads, bodies lieing within cities without anyone caring, like Harkov, was it a hundred corpses each day there if i remember. Total lack of emotion with too much bolshevik brainwashing - the soviet style of life and politics.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2005 at 20:45
Rwanda had the highest death rate ratio when compared to the amount of time elapsed.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 10:29
Where is the native American genocide? The other ones (real ones) were all against nations or ethnic groups, but the native American genocide in northern America caused a race to dissappear...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:19
No, it caused a culture to dissapear, not a race.  There are as many Native Americans alive today as there were at the time of Columbus but you are correct in saying it is a genocide because they have been shattered like no one else has.  Reservations are like 3rd world countries and only those of us who are much removed hereditarily and geographically from the reservations have any sucess, with a few notable exceptions.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 13:22
It's cultural genocide.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 10:50
Originally posted by Exarchus

Bosnian Genocide, because it was unorganised and savage (it was brutal executions and mass rapes ect..).

well actually it was very organized, srebrenica is the most known, they planned out killings of men and boys and mass rape of gilrs and women, basically kill off and breed them out tactics.  further fact is that in latest news there are reports of greek army troops operating with the serb scropion squads.  the orthodox church in the region has some responsibilty to bear to because its priests have been seen on home video tape footage praying and blessing these units before they entered srebrenica.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 13:33
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 15:15
Rwandan genocide?  or is that not important enough because they're not white and too far away?
minchickie View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jul-2005 at 18:22
 Good point.  what about the Rwandan genocide?????
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 04:50

Something to note: I'm not sure if we've been using the term genocide accurately in all these cases.  This is a matter of semantics, and it doesn't mitigate (much less exculpate) the atrocities of these acts, even if some of them do not fall under the definition of genocide.

The definition of genocide is an act of destruction (which can be murder, birth prevention, etc,) with the intent to destroy a people (race, ethnicity, etc,) partially or entirely.  The Native American genocide is a complicating issue (see my recent debate with Cattus,) as in many instances there is no clear intent to destroy a people, although there are some incidents that would be considered genocides.  The Chinese genocide under Mao is also unclear, since it's rather odd that Mao would have an intent to partially destroy his own ethnicity (I don't know of any intent of destroying racial minorities in China either,) despite the fact that Mao had a severely strongly low esteem for Chinese culture.

One thing to also consider is that intent and motive are different.  As long as the intent of an act is to destroy a people partially or entirely, what motive there is for the genocide does not change whether it is a genocide.  I'd agree, though, that if we are comparing the severity of genocides (which is the topic here,) the motives should be considered.  For example, the motives in the genocide of the Jews in WWII, among other factors, definitely make it one of the worst in history

Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 18:22
Originally posted by telvin83

Originally posted by aknc

what happened in the circassian one?

Ethnic cleansing that was started in the Northern Caucasus by the Russians of the Tsar period following their defeat between the years of 1859 and 1864 with a big dislocation has turned out to be a case to be defined as genocide in the realm of international law.

The Tsar's Russia in the 19th century, the USSR in the 20th century, and now the Russian Federation have made it the fate of the north Caucasians to be exiled.

As a result of the settlement policy of the Russians in the North Caucasus, over one million Caucasians have been displaced in 1864.
Thousands have died on their cruise to the Ottoman lands, several ships full of exiled people have sank, thousand have got diseases; and many have become slaves and concubines. The land and other properties they left behind were given to the new settlers brought to their land, who were Russians and Cossacks brought their by the Russian authorities.

There are records that about 30% of the people deported from the ports on the Black Sea such as Taman, Tuapse, Anapa, Tsemez, Sochi, Adler, Sohum, Poti and Batum and destined to reach the Ottoman port cities of Trabzon, Ordu, Samsun, Sinop, Kefken, Varna, Kstence, Istanbul and the Aegean ports died on their way to these destinations.

For example, the Russia Consulate in Trabzon, one of the destination ports records in May 1864 that, 30, 000 people died of starvation or illnesses, people who got ill on board were dropped into the sea right away... and that one man in Trabzon where 3493, 124 people landed, was told to have taken 30 or 40 concubines. There are records that mass graves were found around these Ottoman shore cities.(1)

At those times the Russian Consulate in Trabzon, writes to the Russian general Katrachev who was in charge of the deportation to state that "70,000 thousand people have arrived in Batum to be sent to Turkey, around 7 die per day. On reaching Trabzon, 19,000 out of 24,700 died. There are 63,900 people there and about 180-250 of them die per day. Out of the 110,000 in Samsun about 200 die every day. I heard that out of those 4650 who were sent to Trabzon, Varna and Istanbul about 40-60 die per day." (2)

To avoid accusations of exile the Russian authorities try to present the case as migration. However, the decree sent to the Western Caucasians in August 1864 by the Tsar's representative in the area Granduke Mitchel why these people have had to face death, it reads: Those who do not leave in a month will be sent and located in several different parts of Russia as war captives." (3)

The dislocated Caucasian people were later settled in Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Israel, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Greece, Macedonia and Kosovo in brief in about 40 different regions in the world.

Russian, European and Ottoman records mention that between 1,2 million to 2 million people exiled during 1859 and 1879 years. About 500,000 people died during their cruise and after arriving to the Ottoman harbours.(4)

Those exiled were never let to go back to their homeland. Very few of their grand children who went to their home after the collapse of the USSR have had no authorities to turn to or any official will to claim their grandparent's heritage

1) "Papers Respecting the Settlement of Circassian Emigrants in Turkey", London Printed by Harrison and Sons.

2) Ibid

3) Berkok, General Ismail, Caucasus in History (1958), Istanbul Press, p. 526

4) Kemal Karpat, "The Status of the Muslim under European Rule: the Eviction and Settlement of the Cerkes", Journal of the Institute Minority Affairs, Vol.1, No:2.

I think this explains the problem of Chechnya as well.  I heard they were also forcibly removed from their lands to go to Kazakhstan, but were eventually allowed to return, but instead of becoming assimilated into Russian, they retained their identity.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2005 at 18:35
The Chinese genocide under Mao is also unclear, since it's rather odd that Mao would have an intent to partially destroy his own ethnicity (I don't know of any intent of destroying racial minorities in China either,) despite the fact that Mao had a severely strongly low esteem for Chinese culture.

It could be political/ideological/religious as well, infact the UN declaration on genocide (was it the UN? the one after WWII anyways) was going to include political groups, only it was removed to please the Soviets.
Not that i'm advocating for or against Mao here, but targeting a group for their political or ideological persuasion need not be excluded from the genocide umbrella.
Arrrgh!!"
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 16:19

Originally posted by AyKurt

Ive noticed that even Armenian groups no longer refer to that quote anymore since its so baseless and cannot stand up to scrutiny in the courts.
This is only one of the many lies by supporters of the so called Armenian Genocide who try and rewrite history, in this case by trying to make out that the Turks gave some kind of inspiration to one of the most evil men in history.
Bullshit propaganda

In Los Angeles theres an international museum of tolerance, and that quote by Hitler is put up on a huge wall in the Jewish Holocaust section.

No ones saying Turks are the most evil men in history. We are saying your government is at fault, major fault. Please stop thinking that Armenians are out to destroy all Turks.

And we're not the only ones that are accusing the Turkish government of genocide, that should tell you something.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 16:24

ArmenianSurvival

Did you ever entered Armenian forums?

http://www.hyeforum.com

Enter here, and see how you love us.

Please stop thinking that Armenians are out to destroy all Turks.

Not, all turk, just anatolian ones. I know Turkey did a lot wrong, ottomans did also. But I have not much good feeling for armenians. If they had chance they will do what you say. Destroy all Turks.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 16:31
Native American genocide in the USA. It is late modern history and it virtually wiped out dozens of nations.

I can't beleive it isn't proposed.

Other modern genocides that I miss among the options:
- Arawak-Taino in the Caribbean
- Khoisan peoples in Southern Africa
- Australian natives
- Palestinian genocide

Colonial adventures have undoubtedly caused the greatest genocides of modern hinstory... but it seems to me that this poll has been concieved with an Eurocentric viewpoint.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 16:55
Originally posted by Mortaza

ArmenianSurvival

Did you ever entered Armenian forums?

http://www.hyeforum.com

Enter here, and see how you love us.

Please stop thinking that Armenians are out to destroy all Turks.

Not, all turk, just anatolian ones. I know Turkey did a lot wrong, ottomans did also. But I have not much good feeling for armenians. If they had chance they will do what you say. Destroy all Turks.

I dont have time to check every topic in that forum to find out what youre talking about. But i get your point, youre saying that Armenians do infact have anti-Turkish sentiments. That is true for some Armenians who are running their arguments based on emotional charge, and Armenians who havent formally learned about world history. I know many Armenians, including myself, who do not share that view. That is the same thing as if i said Turks hate Armenians and posted a forum full of anti-Armenian sentiments. It goes both ways. There are Armenians that hate Turks, there are Turks who hate Armenians. It goes both ways. I, however, am not one of those people. I am actually trying to get Armenians to get educated in history (most people in general arent interested in history), so they can base their arguments and opinions on facts rather than emotion. I would also love to do the same to Turks who are like this, because there are also a lot of Turks that base their arguments on false nationalism and emotion. You cannot say this is false, because both Armenians and Turks do that a lot, and it is getting a bit old.

(this is not directed to you, Mortaza) ->  I, personally, dont like being attacked or flamed for having an opinion about the genocide, an opinion that has actually been recognized by many foreign governments. I have never attacked Turkish culture, and so i should be treated accordingly. I blame your government, i hate your government, i will do anything to make them give back what *i feel* is ours. However, dont mix this up with anti-Turkish sentiment. I also hate the Armenian government, they are making our own people suffer, but that doesnt mean i hate Armenians now does it? No, i just hate the government. I do not hate the Turkish government because they are Turkish, i hate them because they are corrupt, and i feel the same towards the Armenian government. I hate many governments, i hate no culture.

I know Turkey did a lot wrong, ottomans did also.

I am glad you are not brainwashed, and that you realize this fact. Now what we have to figure out as Turks and Armenians, is how to fix these wrongs which have been committed.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 17:06

ArmenianSurvival

I blame your government, i hate your government, i will do anything to make them give back what *i feel* is ours.

And I hate your(armenians) collective hate,your wish for revenge.(Even It have good reasons) and well I dont like my goverment much too

Now what we have to figure out as Turks and Armenians, is how to fix these wrongs which have been committed.

This is a little difficult thing, I dont think also armenians are innocent like angels. But firstly both people, should stop lying, both Turks and Armenians.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 17:46

This is a little difficult thing, I dont think also armenians are innocent like angels. But firstly both people, should stop lying, both Turks and Armenians.

This is true. Some Armenians have infact done some horrible things towards Turkish people. This was a response to what was being done to them by the Ottoman government, and although this does NOT justify their actions, its always useful to know why someone does something.

Yes, the Turks and Armenians that choose to lie have to stop because it is leading the discussions nowhere. I would love to see both sides stop lying because i believe in my cause and i believe that if the truth is told by BOTH sides, then the cause will be carried out. When you said you dont like your government, i am assuming that you would also like to see the genocide openly discussed by both sides with no lies. I respect that opinion and i agree with it also. I dont like the government of Turkey and i think it should be removed. However, it should be replaced by a government that will serve Turkish people and Turkish interests. Same thing with the Armenian government. Easier said than done though.

And I hate your(armenians) collective hate,your wish for revenge

I completely understand your view, as ive seen with my own eyes what you are talking about.

I hate the Turkish government for giving us a cause for revenge. I dont like revenge and i hate that i have to be this way to have the truth carried out.

p.s. by revenge i dont mean physical revenge, i mean correcting what has been done wrong.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2005 at 18:56

Armenian survival,

We have never claimed the latest Ottoman governments didnt commit a lot crimes (not mistakes in fact, purposed movements). They were one of the worst governments and betrayers of history, Young Turks and Enver-Talat Pashas. Believe me, they did more bad to Turks than Armenians.

But the point is, Armenians never accept what kind of violence their ancestors committed, what kind of conflicts they caused, including mass murderings of civilians, destroying of towns, etc. etc. The issue isnt one sided at all, and there happened no such action in terms of "genocide" even by the worst Ottoman government, but maybe by the Armenian rebellion gangs and their Russian supporters. Dont worry guys, I am not here to argue on this very same issue again and again, I am also fed up like most of our forumers.

Today, of course the high educated, intellectual ones dont, but most of the Armenian society is educated with hatred, that is no doubt. And no need to argue on this issue, that's too comlicated and boring now...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>