Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What did our ancestors do during WWII?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did our ancestors do during WWII?
    Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 11:57
i guess they mean their Grand parents participation in WWII,

it might not apply to many AE members who were old enough to be there in WWII times or their fathers

for example my father was around 10 years old during WWII and and he remembers seeing British soliders passing by Arabia from India to Europe. also those years were one of the hardest years that trade to and from India were restricted.

almost 20% or more of that area's ( UAE today) population died from a sickness that spread during that period.

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 12:21
Originally posted by Genghis

Have you ever written down what he told you?  Or perhaps gotten a tape recorder and taped him?  That would be a valuable piece of historical information for Albania and all the world.

I still didnt write anything, but me and my father videorecorded him telling stories (during the past 10 years, but not in the last year, he refused to be recorded this last year.). Anyway, most of the tales are a mix of personal memories and of historical facts. Probably it will make a nice book, but not an academical history text. But I ll wait to read his diaries (although I hope that day to be as late as possible).
Prej heshtjes...!
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 13:05
And here are pics of my grandfather in Polish and German uniform:

"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 13:59
he looks better in Polish uniform :)
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 14:09
Paternal grandfather LtColonel in the Royal Engineers fought in Italy, maternal grandfather on a minesweeper (in RNR) in ww2 but had fought in ww1 as a midshipman at Jutland.

Had a great uncle in the tanks at El Alemain and another couple of uncles in the navy that I know of.
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 14:14
Originally posted by ataman

he looks better in Polish uniform :)

I have always thought the Polish army uniform was good looking.  Smile

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 14:16
well, he didnt have any choice, in fact he was in situation that he could not refuse... and almost lost his life on the eastern front
In his company was about 30 Poles but only my grandfather was called by the Germans "verfluchte Pole"

Edited by Mosquito - 20-Jul-2006 at 14:19
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 16:16
My grandfather was a wwI vet, my dad was in the Coast Guard, assigned to the Amphibious landing Forces in the Pacific.  His ship was involved in the landings at both Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jul-2006 at 16:19
My grandfathers & grandmothers were 7 - 13 years old in the time of the WW2. Their parents were peaceful villagers in Bulgaria. They keep nice memories about the german soldiers they saw around 1941 - 1944 - they said: the germans were nice people who always give to the kids a chocolate, sweetmeat/pastry and some little gifts of that sort.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 14:39
the germans were nice people who always give to the kids a chocolate, sweetmeat/pastry and some little gifts of that sort.
A few kilomatres to the west the Germans were executing children in Serbian schools, as retaliation for guerilla attacks.

Edited by xristar - 21-Jul-2006 at 14:40

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 17:05
unlike Bulgarians, Serbs were not allies of Germans...
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2006 at 22:40
Originally posted by Mosquito

well, he didnt have any choice, in fact he was in situation that he could not refuse... and almost lost his life on the eastern front
In his company was about 30 Poles but only my grandfather was called by the Germans "verfluchte Pole"

Too bad he couldn't have surrendered to the Russians, if only he had been assigned to the West he could have surrendered pretty easily.
Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 00:21
My Familys history in WWII goes as

Both Grand fathers were in Burma. My paternal Grandfather was also in Europe for a while but saw no action there, but in Burma he flew C-47's. My maternal Grand father joined up in Jan 1945 as an Engineer.

I had two Great uncles in Singapore, one was taken POW (and is thankfully still alive), the other was killed and I am named after him.

A third Great Uncle had the wierdest war, he had joined the British Army as a youngster (despite being Afghan I wonder how). He and a few others were sent to Poland just before the invasion to help evacaute British Embassy Staff and Citizens. He then served in France for 5, before being evacuated at Dunkirk. Then sent to N Africa, he served there (and got a Kings Commission) before being sent to the Eastern Front to help train Russians in Anti tank tactics (especially WRT Tigers), and managed to see Kursk. He then went back in time to serve in Scicily and Italy, before returning to France for D Day (Gold Beach), until the capture of Paris, and then was transfered to Burma for the duration. And for some reason I have never quite understood he was at Pearl Harbor when the japanese surrendered.

He was ordered to Tokyo bay and then was in the BCOF.

Despite all the fighting for 6 years, he emerged from the war unscrathed. My maternal Grandfather, served for only 6 months and was wounded three times.

The Chargemaster View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Kishokan

Quote The Chargemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2006 at 01:23
Originally posted by xristar

A few kilomatres to the west the Germans were executing children in Serbian schools, as retaliation for guerilla attacks.

I know. In Bulgaria also were located many kommunistic guerilla groups, but not in the region, where my Grand-parents were living.
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 07:10
My grandfather on parental side during WWII was a Colonel of fighting aviation (or to be exact - he became Colonel in 1943).
He fought almost in all the parts of the front: in the beginning of the war - in the Western Ukraine; then - on Leningrad front; later - on the Central front (He took part in the Kursk battle, after which he got the rank of Colonel. BTW he was 24 years old then.); then he fought in Romania,then - Hungary, later - in Slovakia (I mean the territory of the modern state), then - in Austria, and at the end of the war - in Czechia.
He was wounded several times, made 451 battle-flight, shook down 34 enemy aircrafts, got the order of the Heroe of SU.
He successfully survived the war, married, had five children and eleven grandchildren.
My greatgrandfather on maternal side fought in the infantry on Leningrad front till February 1944 when he was killed.
arsenka
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2006 at 07:56
None of my grandfathers waged war. But my paternal great grandfather was taken into the Soviet army after the 1940 occupation. He was given a birch stick(i've told this story before) and was sent out as a scout, but the first sight of the Wehrmacht made him drop his stick and surrender to the rifled Germans. He spent most of the time during the war in a prison camp i think.

His brother emigrated to Canada and worked as a miner for 32 years there. He died just this April. I never spoke a word with him.

And my grandmother speaks well of the Germans too. They never took anything, they traded goods and threw in some smiles for the kids.

My grandmothers brother disappeared in the war. He was in  the German army. Maybe perished in the Czech hell, maybe went insane and forgot who he was. My father still reads all the credits after movies end, he thinks he will find his name as he thinks that he might have fled Estonia to the US or Canada and i now working somewhere (in the motion picure business for some reasonConfused) without the knowledge of our existence. Makes you wonder who is sane, the guy who fought in WW2 or the one sitting behind a TV looking for his uncles name.LOL

My grandmother once told me that during the war she could smell burning flesh coming from the seaside. She was on the road to town, the same road i take every day myself. The Germans burnt Jews there by the sea and there is a Jewish memorial there, to my own surprise. There's really a kinda gag reflex in the stomach to it when you hear such activities happened just some 3 or 4 miles from your house.

Edited by Kalevipoeg - 23-Jul-2006 at 07:59
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2006 at 13:36
Originally posted by Komnenos

Promise not to hold it against me:

One grandfather was a pre-1933 Nazi Party and SA member, he had a wonky leg and spend most of the war as translator ( he spoke Polish and Russian) on the Eastern Front.
At the end, he volunteerd for action and was killed near Arnheim in Holland where is buried as well. I've never visited his grave, although I pass by three or four times a year!

The other one was a German civil servant and thus a compulsory, but un-enthusiastic party member. Just before he was supposed to join the Wehrmacht, he was badly injured during one of the first bomb raids on my home-town and thus never got to see any action.

Was your grandfather born in Upper Silesia? If he could speak Polish, it's quite probable that he was.

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2006 at 23:17

My American grand-father had a heavy construction company and spent the war helping build naval facilities throughout the Puget sound region.

My Canadian grandfather was in his forties when WW II started and a veteran of WW I. He re-enlisted in 1940 and spent the war training soldiers in Vernon B.C.

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 05:12
Both my grandfathers fought at the Greek-Albanian frontier against the invading Italians from 28th October 1940.

Father's side grandpa,was serving at the Cavalry.Followed the march into southern Albania/Northern Epirus :Tepeleni,Argyrokastro..inner.

Mother's side:Korytsa,wounded on the mountain Tomori by a bullet that passed near his ear and head.(he couldnt hear well from this earSmile)
Transfered to the hospital in Athens in end of March 1941.

When Germans invaded by Yugoslavia he came back to his village in Macedonia.
The other grandfather of mine went to his village from Albania to Chalkidiki/Macedonia on foot!*thats about 500 km through mountains)

During the occupation both were living at their villages-suffering  by hunger (although the situation was much better than the urban areas).
One's village was under German occupation.
The other's under Bulgarians (eastern macedonia). -(it was given to the Bulgarians by the Nazi's as a reward for their alliance)

BlindOne View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote BlindOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2006 at 17:35
Both my grandfathers fought at the Greek albanian frontier againts the Italian and albanian invanders.

From my mother's side:
My grandfanter died there with his brothers (from the 5 brothers only 1 survived)

From my father's side:
 My grandfather fought in albania and later in north Afrika, he died there.
That I am stricken and can't let you go
When the heart is cold, there's no hope, and we know
That I am crippled by all that you've done
Into the abyss, will I run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>