Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Roman/Greek Ethnicy and Physical Traits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roman/Greek Ethnicy and Physical Traits
    Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 07:34
Sorry beorna, I almost edited your post by mistake. I totally agree with you. We came with "races" as an extension of our tribalism. It makes better "us" vs. "them" arguments and it is easier to justify the slaughter of "them"
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 07:35

Originally posted by cavalry4ever

They had not too much culturally in common with original inhabitants of Greece or Italy. Francs, Lombards, Visigoths, Ostrogoths etc were germanic tribes that invaded Greece and Rome and managed to mix in with local population
One correction. Germanic tribes were established and managed to take control in the Italian peninsula not in the Greek.
In Greece Slavs had an impact in the gene pool.
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 07:40
Originally posted by Patrinos

They had not too much culturally in common with original inhabitants of Greece or Italy. Francs, Lombards, Visigoths, Ostrogoths etc were germanic tribes that invaded Greece and Rome and managed to mix in with local population
One correction. Germanic tribes were established and managed to take control in the Italian peninsula not in the Greek.
Visigoths went through Greece in 4 and 5th centuries. Reason we had these waves of migration because there was a pressure from other tribes that were still east. It is interesting to look at geographical names. Saxony named after Saxons which were pushed far west by newcomers.
There are two groups that are worth mentioning: Basques and Albanians. They were in Europe before anyone else.

Edited by cavalry4ever - 05-Jan-2010 at 07:48
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 07:49
Originally posted by beorna

For example if a lot of Germans or Polish share the same geges, that doesn't mean that the Polish are of German origin or Germans of Polish. It just means, that both MAY have the same ancestors, who could have belong to a completely other ethnic group, long before Polish and Germans existed..

Or rather it means that those people live close one to each other for over millenium and mix their blood. Germans have conquered the Slavs on the territories of modern Eastern Germany, germanised Slavs in Silesia and Pomerania. Great migration of Germans to the east, starting from medieval times mixed with local population in Poland. It can say actually nothing about origins or common ancestry but much about long lasted neighbourhood. If you add to this some theories that some tribes that were invading Roman empire were actually not Germanic but Slavic it mixing them all tgether even more (eg. theory that Vandals were Slavic tribe or mix of Slavs and Germans).
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 07:55
I think this map of Eye Color: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Eye-color.png can also be related to Indo-European people, I just don't know about the exception of Italy!
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 08:04
Originally posted by Mosquito

Or rather it means that those people live close one to each other for over millenium and mix their blood. Germans have conquered the Slavs on the territories of modern Eastern Germany, germanised Slavs in Silesia and Pomerania. Great migration of Germans to the east, starting from medieval times mixed with local population in Poland. It can say actually nothing about origins or common ancestry but much about long lasted neighbourhood. If you add to this some theories that some tribes that were invading Roman empire were actually not Germanic but Slavic it mixing them all tgether even more (eg. theory that Vandals were Slavic tribe or mix of Slavs and Germans).
I hoped so much we will not come to this :) The Przeworsk-culture has some roots but probably no Slavic. Slavs share the same roots with groups that took part in the Przeworsk-culture. Please don't see it as German nazism but Slavs did never exist before (it is hard to say) 200-400 AC. I would connect the oldest Slavs with the Kiew culture.

BTW don't forget the Slav migration to the West between 450 and about 1000.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 08:04
When Mark Twain was asked if all racial problems in US were generated by proximity breeding contempt he answered:
"Proximity breeds"

Edited by cavalry4ever - 05-Jan-2010 at 08:05
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 08:08

Originally posted by Patrinos

Visigoths went through Greece in 4 and 5th centuries. Reason we had these waves of migration because there was a pressure from other tribes that were still east. It is interesting to look at geographical names. Saxony named after Saxons which were pushed far west by newcomers.
There are two groups that are worth mentioning: Basques and Albanians. They were in Europe before anyone else.

Visigoths passed through Greece, pillaged,vandalized... but did not settled or established any reign. They were repulsed in the Pholoe mountains in Elis,Peloponnesos.

As I said, it was the Slavs that are recorded to have migrated to mainland Greece, and they've left signs of that migrations in some toponyms,and in northern Greece the slavic element was visible at least till the population exchanges in the beginning of the previous century...

-Basques are considered pre indoeuropean, and its right. But Albanians????? 

"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 08:09

Saxony named after Saxons which were pushed far west by newcomers.
can you please explain me, what you mean with the Saxon?
The basques have no greater linguistic relation to other europeans and even the genetic is special. unfortunally we don't know when they came.
Albanians are mostly connected with the Illyrians, which are part of the Indo-Europeans.

Edited by cavalry4ever - 05-Jan-2010 at 09:47
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 08:44

Well, notion "indoeuropean" has rather linguistic than racial meaning. Genetically many nations are different while linguistically very close. Slavic nations make good example of it. For example Poles are genetically closer to scandinavians than to Balkan slavs but languages of western, eastern and soughtern slavs are related.

This map was posted here in AE many times, so why not once more:

Mosquito, you are partly right about genetically difference through Slavic nations, but on this map as I see (may be mistake!?) Bulgarians have much more higher percent "Gotlander"- ?  than poles. Even more % "Gotlander" than Norwegians. Poles have bigger percent -
something like "Pakistani Kashmiri" gene, than everything else. This map is a mystery for me...
  BTW poles aren`t very close anthropoligical to Scans. In Poland middle eastern element is much more well present, because strong and numerous Jewish community through centuries. Today may be 1/3 of poles have jewish ancestors. There is also strong mongoloid present from Lipka Tatars 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipka_Tatars
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 09:14
You shouldn't use term like "Gotlandish" for the haplogroups, that is nonsense. We had some times ago a genetic research in Germany that used such terms to. These research found, that is what the press reported,  45% Celtic(Haplogroup R1b), 25% Scythian and Viking (Haplogroup 1), 15% Viking and Slav (Haplogroup R1a), 10% Jews (Haplogroup J) und 5% Phoenicians (Haplogroup E3b), The report went on, that the Celtic haplogroup came from Sibiria and that Vikings and Slavs have moved since the last 20000 years south from Northasia were they evolved a 30000 years ago.  

Such nonsense happens if we use modern terms or historical term for genes or others things. It went so far, that the chairman of the Jews in Germany said, this reseach shows that Jews lived in Germany long before the Germans. Oh my goodness.
Genes hav no nationality and they have no verified date of origin.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 09:26
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

Haplogroup 2 is common in whole europe, than we have a strong Hg 1 in the West and an strong Hg 3 in the east. at the mediteranian coast we have a stronger Hg 21 and 9. Hg 8 and 22 are probably named well with sardinian and Basque but all other names are, let me be handsome, not necessary.
If you would ask me, I would say that the difference in distribution of 2 and 1 goes back to the neolithicum at least. The "african" haplogroups perhaps are a result of neolithic migration too, but all this is hard to say.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 09:51

Saxony named after Saxons which were pushed far west by newcomers.
can you please explain me, what you mean with the Saxon?
The basques have no greater linguistic relation to other europeans and even the genetic is special. unfortunally we don't know when they came.
Albanians are mostly connected with the Illyrians, which are part of the Indo-Europeans.

I messed your post again. 
Linguists use geographical names to trace migrations of all groups. There are no Saxons in Saxony. They were pushed west and survived on British Islands. This is where Anglo-Saxons name came from and the name of the region they used to inhabit is still there populated by newer germanic tribes. As a matter of fact all Germans from time of struggle against Romans are not there anymore.

Edited by cavalry4ever - 05-Jan-2010 at 10:27
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 10:21
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

Mosquito, you are partly right about genetically difference through Slavic nations, but on this map as I see (may be mistake!?) Bulgarians have much more higher percent "Gotlander"- ?  than poles. Even more % "Gotlander" than Norwegians. Poles have bigger percent -
something like "Pakistani Kashmiri" gene, than everything else. This map is a mystery for me...
  BTW poles aren`t very close anthropoligical to Scans. In Poland middle eastern element is much more well present, because strong and numerous Jewish community through centuries. Today may be 1/3 of poles have jewish ancestors. There is also strong mongoloid present from Lipka Tatars 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipka_Tatars

The most weird interpretation of this map iv ever seen. But you hit the point with Pakistani Kashmiri. The map proves that all the indoeuropeans comes probably from the area of northern India/Pakistan.
"I am a pure-blooded Polish nobleman, without a single drop of bad blood, certainly not German blood" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 10:34

I hoped so much we will not come to this :) The Przeworsk-culture has some roots but probably no Slavic. Slavs share the same roots with groups that took part in the Przeworsk-culture. Please don't see it as German nazism but Slavs did never exist before (it is hard to say) 200-400 AC. I would connect the oldest Slavs with the Kiew culture.

BTW don't forget the Slav migration to the West between 450 and about 1000.

Nah, its all in the matter of theories and speculations that are impossible to verify in any way. Przeworsk culture might be connected with Germanic tribes as well as celtic and proto-slavic (it is possible that to all of them). It is also completelly unknown when exactly Western Slavic people occupied central Europe up to Elbe river but most of scientists agree for 450-550 AD - the end of Przeworsk culture.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 15:13

I messed your post again. 
Linguists use geographical names to trace migrations of all groups. There are no Saxons in Saxony. They were pushed west and survived on British Islands. This is where Anglo-Saxons name came from and the name of the region they used to inhabit is still there populated by newer germanic tribes. As a matter of fact all Germans from time of struggle against Romans are not there anymore.
The Saxons weren't pushed west. They just went to the west to make their fortune. It started around 250 that people from the coastal areas of Germany, Danmark and Scandinavia went on Raids along the channel coasts. They were no single ethnos, but a group of different warrior units and at least in the beginning of the 5th century they started to conquer Britannia. Angles, Ambrones, Jutes, Frisians and others were all placed among the term Saxones, which was later displaced by the term Angli or Anglisaxones. The ethnic groups that remained in Northern Germany were also called Saxons from the Franks. But they as well build no single ethnos and at least after the French conquest under Charlemagne they were placed in one sigle reign. during the times of Henry the Lion the duchy was as a unit destroyed but there still was a smaller duchy Saxony. During the times the name wandered east to the Elbe river, where Saxons never lived.
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 15:58

Nah, its all in the matter of theories and speculations that are impossible to verify in any way. Przeworsk culture might be connected with Germanic tribes as well as celtic and proto-slavic (it is possible that to all of them). It is also completelly unknown when exactly Western Slavic people occupied central Europe up to Elbe river but most of scientists agree for 450-550 AD - the end of Przeworsk culture.
First Slavs in the West appear around 450 in Little Poland. Since 500 they march north along the Vistula to Great Poland. In the 2nd half of the 6th century Slavs enter Bohemia and Moravia and started to settle the Elbe valley from the Czech area. In the 7th century Slavs crossed the Oder river and settled up to Elbe and saale River. In the 2nd half of the 7th century they reached up to the Baltic Sea. In the beginning of the 8th century they came to Holstein and at the end of the 8th century groups even crossed the Elbe river in norther Germany.
The Przeworsk culture declined since 400 and had its end around 450, while little region, e.g. Krakow, still remained in that culture. The Slavs have nothing to do with the Przeworsk culture but probably the Przeworsk-culture wasn't even in the beginning Germanic, this is not clear and sometimes a question of definition. Celtic influence of LaTene culture was very strong in the beginning of the culture.
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jan-2010 at 17:35
beorna - this was interesting and very in-depth. I think I made just few assumptions about Saxons.
Most interesting part was that they were not pushed out, but pillage was their main motivation to move. How about Celts?

To change subject-
Living in Germany, you may know of study of some cave with neolithic(?) human remains in Germany, not too long ago. Anthropologists were able to extract DNA and used it to find modern descendants of the people from that cave in the town located nearby. I believe it was Neolithic period. I lost the link to that and wonder if you knew the story and could point us to some references. I don't remember enough keywords to find it.
I think that story illustrates some of mixing that was occurring in Europe through millenia.

Edited by cavalry4ever - 05-Jan-2010 at 17:37
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2010 at 00:36
lichtensteinhöhle (lichtenstein cave) near Osterode
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kanas_Krumesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2010 at 01:26

[QUOTE=Kanas_Krumesis]
The most weird interpretation of this map iv ever seen. But you hit the point with Pakistani Kashmiri. The map proves that all the indoeuropeans comes probably from the area of northern India/Pakistan.

This map is in general theory and nothing more. I see also some non-sence around Haplogroup names, which make failing conclusions. As Beorna says Haplogroup 2 is common in whole Europe, and this is a central fact in the map for me. Hg 2 is no common in "your" Pakistani Kashmiri-the true one. Also in couple another asian groups. It`s little represent through north africans. For me Haplogroup 2 is a sign of ancient indo-european connection, because we can see it in different proportion among all european population. From another hand, we can see Hg 2 is some asian (Kalash, Brahmins) and north african groups with indo-european connection, known from historical and anthropoligical sources. But as I always says, DNA is just a chemical code.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>