Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is Heaven?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Heaven?
    Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 22:10

Well, is this your personal oppinion or are this the Official Christian rules to get into heaven?

From www.newadvent.org under salvation.

The Council of Trent describes the process of salvation from sin in the case of an adult with great minuteness (Sess. VI, v-vi).

It begins with the grace of God which touches a sinner's heart, and calls him to repentance. This grace cannot be merited; it proceeds solely from the love and mercy of God. Man may receive or reject this inspiration of God, he may turn to God or remain in sin. Grace does not constrain man's free will.

Thus assisted the sinner is disposed for salvation from sin; he believes in the revelation and promises of God, he fears God's justice, hopes in his mercy, trusts that God will be merciful to him for Christ's sake, begins to love God as the source of all justice, hates and detests his sins.

This disposition is followed by justification itself, which consists not in the mere remission of sins, but in the sanctification and renewal of the inner man by the voluntary reception of God's grace and gifts, whence a man becomes just instead of unjust, a friend instead of a foe and so an heir according to hope of eternal life. This change happens either by reason of a perfect act of charity elicited by a well disposed sinner or by virtue of the Sacrament either of Baptism or of Penance according to the condition of the respective subject laden with sin. The Council further indicates the causes of this change. By the merit of the Most Holy Passion through the Holy Spirit, the charity of God is shed abroad in the hearts of those who are justified.

Some of my coleagues though did start a discussion regarding religion, hell, heaven, who is worthy and who is not, etc. The monk (I don't know exactly his rank but he was from the top) mainly during the two hours of speech, mainly stated that:

I don't disagree with hardly anything he says, except that I believe that muslims, pagans and the irreligious fall under the 'other Christian' category in that they have been misled and thus through no fault of their own they have chosen the wrong path, of course God will direct them to the proper path if they choose to follow him.

A little of topic but I do believe that the Quran contains revealations of God's truth on the world, and that Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran and Anglicans are facets of the same religious tradition and all separations are merely political (wordly) and are united in spirit.

Edited by JanusRook - 24-Oct-2007 at 22:11
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 08:00

I've seen this before:Heaven=salvation and Hell=damnation. I don't mind being saved but I do mind being told that I'm saved while I'm not told that there's a threat.

Is heaven like getting back home (inside your house, among your folks, warmth, love, etc.) after a really bad day at work and a car crash?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 08:14

Is heaven like getting back home (inside your house, among your folks, warmth, love, etc.) after a really bad day at work and a car crash?

Nope heaven's like getting home to your family and friends with a huge party with your favorite band doing the music, half-naked girls handing you your favorite food and drink and your favorite sports team on the television dominating their greatest rivals 200 to nil.

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 17:03
Sounds great but I'd prefer if heaven were like waking up in a huge hallway full of doors, being told that behind every door was another life to live if that was what I wanted, and then opening a door and having a second chance.

...humans can (sort of) make happiness. But we can't really make second chances.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by JanusRook

Nope heaven's like getting home to your family and friends with a huge party with your favorite band doing the music, half-naked girls handing you your favorite food and drink and your favorite sports team on the television dominating their greatest rivals 200 to nil.

Looks like a hangover is waiting in the morning.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 07:43
"wha...wha' happen? I feel...like...NRgrgrrgrgggghhhhhh...Oh jeez.."

A HOLY hangover.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 08:19
Originally posted by TheARRGH

"wha...wha' happen? I feel...like...NRgrgrrgrgggghhhhhh...Oh jeez.."

A HOLY hangover.

haha, i'll have one in about ...12 hours haha!

vahalla still pwns...
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 17:53
Valhalla is certainly an entertaining interpretation of heaven.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 18:41

Sounds great but I'd prefer if heaven were like waking up in a huge hallway full of doors, being told that behind every door was another life to live if that was what I wanted, and then opening a door and having a second chance.
Very interesting. 

But we can't really make second chances.
An enlightened response, no second chances, man preaching to the choir on that one.  Just have to make the best of the situation you've created for yourself, everything happens for a reason, your mistakes make up who you are etc. etc.  Though I truly believe you learn from every mistake you make, whether it changes your decision making is another question.

Edited by Justinian - 26-Oct-2007 at 18:44
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheARRGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 22:30
It's true-mistakes make you, and I suppose you shouldn't be able to simply go back and change everything.

But sometimes it seems like there's too much out there to only have one chance at finding.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 03:11
I suppose it just makes everything that much more important, give it more meaning. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 23:02
heaven is one of two things A) a tool invented by man to keep the witless masses happy with there earthly suffering  B) a pretty women and a good pint.
Mines the latter, luckily death isnt required.
long live the king of bhutan
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 01:07
A few more questions:

- Are all relatives going back to the beginning of humanity in Heaven?
 - Are we in a spirit form or do we have a body in heaven?
 - There seems to be alot of talk about the carnal pleasures men can recieve from woman in heaven, is the same applicable to woman?
 - Do we reproduce? or is sex just for pleasure?
 - We are advised to be faithfull lovers on Earth but it seems that some here feel that we can go wild in heaven? Do we keep our wives in heaven? what if somebody didnt have a wife?

What do different religions say about these issues?
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 03:14

- Are all relatives going back to the beginning of humanity in Heaven?

Yes.

- Are we in a spirit form or do we have a body in heaven?

We have a perfected body in heaven.

- There seems to be alot of talk about the carnal pleasures men can recieve from woman in heaven, is the same applicable to woman?

- Do we reproduce? or is sex just for pleasure?

There is no desire to engage in carnal pleasures while in heaven. Therefore there is no sexual activity in heaven, we will have moved beyond sex.

- We are advised to be faithfull lovers on Earth but it seems that some here feel that we can go wild in heaven? Do we keep our wives in heaven? what if somebody didnt have a wife?

Everyone is considered married in heaven because we are all joined in spirit.

What do different religions say about these issues?

This is orthodox Christianity's take on it anyway.

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 03:59
You beat me to it, Janus. Oh well: I wish to second the motion. Wink

-Akolouthos
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 17:13
There is no desire to engage in carnal pleasures while in heaven. Therefore there is no sexual activity in heaven, we will have moved beyond sex.
We are all at andropause and menopause or just androgines?
Angels seem not to be of a gender. Everybody will turn into angels?
The gender of people getting in heaven is what? A memory? A vestigial feature?

Perfected body=what? Terminator model H2000 God Pat. no.23552616 (all rights reserved - all unauthorized copy is going to hell!)

Instead of  everyone being married in spirit I would just like everyone being merry in spiritCheeky
L'histoire17 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote L'histoire17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 17:30
Christians believe that one must have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ to be saved.  One must believe that he or she is a sinner and that Jesus died for those sins.  No one is ever going to be perfect on earth, but one must try to live a moral life.  As far as confession and last minute confession is concerned, it is a heart issue.  If the confessor is faking it and doesn't mean it in his or her heart, he or she really doesn't believe.    

The book of Revelation in the Bible gives a vibrant description of the New Heaven and New Earth. 

Heaven is spending eternity with God in a perfect place without sin, sorrow, death, or sadness.  (Sin caused these disasters).  It's the way God intended for his children to live.  Carnal pleasures are not a part of it.  Because Heaven is perfect, no one will become bored of the perfection, and no one will desire these earthly pleasures.  It's hard for us to fathom now on earth because we all have this sinful human nature. 

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Revelation 21:4)

Originally posted by Bulldog

Do we keep our wives in heaven? 

Jesus said, "When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven." (Mark 12:25)

All believers will be together with Jesus in Heaven.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 22:28
Well what happens to wives and husbands? if they both go to heaven according to religions won't they be together anymore?

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 22:34
Originally posted by Bulldog

Well what happens to wives and husbands? if they both go to heaven according to religions won't they be together anymore?

I think L'histoire's citation from Mark gives the Christian perspective on the subject. I don't know about other religions.

-Akolouthos
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 22:43
But if all our relatives are in heaven, what happens to wifes and husbands? does love exist there according to theology?
Albert Pine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>