Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Journalist: U.S. planning for possible attack on Iran

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Journalist: U.S. planning for possible attack on Iran
    Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 11:19
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

However you can't see the electricity but you can see these thousands lighted lamps, don't you? didn't Saddam use chemical weapons against Iran?

Yes, and where did he get them from? From your old American and British friends, and a few other countries. It's called Free Trade and goes hand in hand with "democracy" American style.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 11:55
Originally posted by Yiannis

Genghis there's no point in seriously trying to answer the points you make in your post - because there aren't any!

I'll simply repeat that "you apathy and cynism (as well as ignorance) amazes me!"

That being said, I hope you stay safe in the military and that you'll never have to be used! (but never, not for a second, have any illusions that "you'll be fighting for your nation").

PS

I'm currently working in Iran, so no need for postcards (I'll be hiding in the embassy, hoping that your "clever weapons" won't make any "mistake" like with the Chinese one in Belgrade)

I don't think you can seriously reply because you don't have any points, other than you despise America and want to see her ruined and humiliated. 

Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 12:07
Don't play ad hominem please
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 02:56

didn't Saddam use chemical weapons against Iran?

Yes, with the blessing of the Americans. I didn't see them lift a finger to "help" you back then (or even impose an arms embargo).

It seems you have a selective memory!

Read here:

Stockholm International Peace Research Institute

SIPRI FACT SHEET
Chemical Weapons I
May 1984
Authors: Julian Perry Robinson and Jozef Goldblat

NB: This material may be quoted freely, with attribution to SIPRI.

CHEMICAL WARFARE IN THE IRAQ-IRAN WAR

http://projects.sipri.se/cbw/research/factsheet-1984.html

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 03:00

Originally posted by Genghis

I don't think you can seriously reply because you don't have any points, other than you despise America and want to see her ruined and humiliated. 

This is very common nowadays in the US. Everyone who is against the war is labeled as "traitor" and driven out of the discussion with summary proceedings. That's why in all government meetings only the "true believeres" are being invited and the same opinions are repeated until everyone is convinced. Same thing was happening in Nazi Germany.

No my friend Genghis, I love America, it's constitution and it's people and I honour it's contribution to the world. It's people like todays administration and policies that I despise and want to see, not ruined, but exposed and abandon.

It's these people that despise America and want to see it's Democrasy and principles abased for their own benefit.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 05:34

Yes, and where did he get them from?

Germany, with no doubt!

Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 07:24

This is very common nowadays in the US. Everyone who is against the war is labeled as "traitor" and driven out of the discussion with summary proceedings. That's why in all government meetings only the "true believeres" are being invited and the same opinions are repeated until everyone is convinced. Same thing was happening in Nazi Germany.

er....not in my neck of the woods, as we say here in Texas.    There is a wide range of differences of opinions regarding Iraq, current administration and policies and I've yet to hear the word 'traitor' used once.    Okay, I've seen a lot of eye rolling and head shaking....LOL  And granted, more than a few times, the debates get heated on those issues.  But, for the most part, we are aware that we are entitled to our own opinions even if others think its wrong.

So, from my own personal experience, I wouldn't say that its common nowadays in the US. 

Komemnos, Cyrus has a valid point.   Germany has practiced free trade which includes weapons of all sort for many years as well.........and they're not the only ones.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 10:13

Same thing was happening in Nazi Germany.

Today it would be wise to recall how it happened that Nazi might got to power

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 10:26

Originally posted by Yiannis

You obviously have been listening to too much Iranian propaganda.  People debate the Iraq war all the time from cafes to Congress.  It's very presumptious of you to tell an American what life in America is like. 

Member of IAEA
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 10:43

Yes, and where did he get them from?

Germany, with no doubt!

Well, he hass German ancestors:

Aristoteles View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Aristoteles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 11:37

You obviously have been listening to too much Iranian propaganda.  People debate the Iraq war all the time from cafes to Congress.  It's very presumptious of you to tell an American what life in America is like. 

Iranian propaganda?

Iranian propaganda?

you actually mean IRANIAN propaganda?

I've been told this is the shortest joke (or at least competing for the title with similar gems like "intelligent Bush" or "peaceful American" or "independent US media" or "USA is democratic", and other stuff like that) but I don't find it amusing.

Not in the least.

I am beginning to wish for a second Vietnam here (or, if Iraq carries on, a third). Maybe, just maybe, silly kids with heads filled with hot air about their country and duty and similar bullsh*t that nobody outside USA (and a couple other theocracies) believes any more, will reconsider when the coffins starting coming in the thousands rather than in the houndreds. When they realize that their friends and relatives are dying to make a gang of filthy rich people even more rich.

I won't hold my breath, though...

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 11:56
Several months ago, Patrick Buchanan said that he heard that the U.S. was going to go into Iran. The rumors in Washington, where I live, have been saying so for almost a year. The one that I have heard is that they are going to do a soft war, this is, heavy bombing with no infantry invasion. The U.S. simply does not have enough soldiers to fight another land war at this moment.

I dont know if the gimmick of attacking a country to cause a national uprising has ever worked. I do know that the U.S. tried in Cuba in 1963. The end result was no uprising and the USSR-US nuclear crisis, which almost lead to a nuclear WWIII. The other case was Iraq, and the only uprising that occurred there has been against the U.S. occupation.

I think that an attack on Iran will create chaos for a while, the U.S. will leave, and a new religious dictatorship will take over the country again.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 11:58
I will disagree with a prior post: Republican supporters do say that if one criticizes Bush, one helps terrorists or is a traitor. Ask their opinion of the Dixie Chicks or Michael Moore. Ask their opinion of CNN, which I have heard them call it the Commie News Network. Ask their opinion of any journalist who writes stories critical of Bush. Ask them what they think about liberal protestersconservative, pro-life protesters are fine. For that matter, as them what they think about New York City.

Many journalists are frankly afraid of the White House. Notice how they have not pressed against Bush as they did against Clinton. Some journalists are even being threatened with jail sentences for not disclosing the sources of a leak for a news story that they didnt break while the conservative journalist who did break the story has not been hassled at all.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 12:05
QUOTE=Aristoteles]

You obviously have been listening to too much Iranian propaganda. People debate the Iraq war all the time from cafes to Congress. It's very presumptious of you to tell an American what life in America is like.

Iranian propaganda?

Iranian propaganda?

I've been told this is the shortest joke (or at least competing for the title with similar gems like "intelligent Bush" or "peaceful American" or "independent US media" or "USA is democratic", and other stuff like that) but I don't find it amusing.

Not in the least.

I am beginning to wish for a second Vietnam here (or, if Iraq carries on, a third). Maybe, just maybe, silly kids with heads filled with hot air about their country and duty and similar bullsh*t that nobody outside USA (and a couple other theocracies) believes any more, will reconsider when the coffins starting coming in the thousands rather than in the houndreds. When they realize that their friends and relatives are dying to make a gang of filthy rich people even more rich.

I won't hold my breath, though...

[/QUOTE]

Hey, the coffins are already here! The Pentagon won't let journalist take pictures of them. For the Pentagon, the problem with Vietnam was not that it was an un-winnable war, it was that journalist showed too many body bags and caskets.

Before the election, a media group refused to air the news because the anchor was going to read the name of every soldier who has died in Iraq. They said something like it was dishonoring the soldiers and that it was unpatriotic.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 13:55

Right now Iran is classified as a country that has a government hostile to the US but not people that are necessarily hostile toward the US. Dropping bombs on them will just bring out more nationalistic feelings and push the people to take side with the mullahs and create a country where both people and government are hostile toward the US.

That would be even worse than many other middle eastern countries in which the governments are friendly toward the US (to put it politely) but people are hostile toward the US.

As Dr. Rice said yesterday we want a government in Iran that is responsive to the interests of the US. If you want a government in Iran that is concerned with the interest of Iranians. The government change has to be done by Iranians and not a foreign power.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2005 at 20:17
Originally posted by Aristoteles

Iranian propaganda?

Iranian propaganda?

I can't believe you're actually saying that the Islamic Republic of Iran has a free media, just like North Korea is a worker's paradise.

Originally posted by Aristoteles

Maybe, just maybe, silly kids with heads filled with hot air about their country and duty and similar bullsh*t that nobody outside USA believes any more, will reconsider when the coffins starting coming in the thousands rather than in the houndreds.

Maybe it's because America is the last place where love of one's country and duty to the nation still exist is why America is the world's last remaining superpower.  So many other countries have become decadent, cowardly, and effeminate in foreign policy under America's guard.  Now all they do is sit and comment and whine to the UN.  It's precisely because America is willing to take losses in war that we shall remain the world's greatest superpower.  All great states must shed and spill blood. 

And if you want a second Vietnam, go ahead and join the Jihadists in Iraq.  At least they have the courage to give up their lives instead of merely whine and bitch about how bad America is while they sip their Starbucks cappucinos. 

Member of IAEA
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 03:40

[/QUOTE] Aristoteles wrote:

When they realize that their friends and relatives are dying to make a gang of filthy rich people even more rich.[/QUOTE]

You expect us to support a gang of filthy rich sheiks and mullas? They fight for power in Iraq now and the Americans' presence in Iraq is only the good reason and backround in this political game. The same American troops are not consider as enemy by Iraq Kurds. And in Afganistan as well. Or maybe this relativism depends on common IE roots. This could be prospective for the Iranians.

Edited by Rava
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 06:29
Maybe it's because America is the last place where love of one's country and duty to the nation still exist

There are some other countries where love of and duty to one's country still exist. North Korea is a good example.
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 07:29

Originally posted by hugoestr

I will disagree with a prior post: Republican supporters do say that if one criticizes Bush, one helps terrorists or is a traitor. Ask their opinion of the Dixie Chicks or Michael Moore. Ask their opinion of CNN, which I have heard them call it the Commie News Network. Ask their opinion of any journalist who writes stories critical of Bush. Ask them what they think about liberal protestersconservative, pro-life protesters are fine. For that matter, as them what they think about New York City.

Many journalists are frankly afraid of the White House. Notice how they have not pressed against Bush as they did against Clinton. Some journalists are even being threatened with jail sentences for not disclosing the sources of a leak for a news story that they didnt break while the conservative journalist who did break the story has not been hassled at all.

Ask the Dixie Chicks, Michael Moore, CNN, liberal protestors, etc. what they think of Republicans. I'm sure you'll hear the words "terrorists' and 'traitors' used, as  well as many others.    But does this mean this is how the average American reacts?  No.....not at all.

Journalists?  Afraid?  Why would they be afraid?  There is no agency at all that holds them accountable for their actions and if you cross them, you will get hammered in the media.  Every successful politician realizes this which is why they court the media.  However, this shouldn't excuse the media from practicing what they preach - they should be held accountable, especially when in their rush to break a story, they make a huge part of it up.  I'm not just talking about the recent fiasco over Bush's military record - I'm talking about the recent problems at the NY Times where a supposedly 'brilliant' reporter was recently fired because it turned out the stories he wrote about never happened - the TV reporter in Washington, D.C. had to return her Pulitzer when it was discovered that the homeless family she'd supposedly been following to expose the plight of the homeless in America never existed.

Now, you apparently watch a completely different news program than I do because I see the reporters criticizing Bush just as hard as they did Clinton and I see that as a good thing because we should always question and try to get as many sides to a story as we can.  Maybe by doing that, we can get closer to the truth.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Aristoteles View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Aristoteles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 08:24

I can't believe you're actually saying that the Islamic Republic of Iran has a free media, just like North Korea is a worker's paradise.

Damn, irony goes by and doesn't even touch you... I mean, how in the nine hells can I or any other westener be exposed to "Iranian propaganda", while the only place in the world they can broadcast such propaganda is Iran itself?

When in the same time, USA is polluting the radiowaves around the whole globe with their own vulgar propaganda, with "independant media" like Fox News, CNN, CBS, NBC and the likes, who only reproduce the "official story" and pay little or no attention to such details as "truth", "dignity", "human rights", "the other side of the story" etc. etc.

Maybe it's because America is the last place where love of one's country and duty to the nation still exist is why America is the world's last remaining superpower.  So many other countries have become decadent, cowardly, and effeminate in foreign policy under America's guard.  Now all they do is sit and comment and whine to the UN.  It's precisely because America is willing to take losses in war that we shall remain the world's greatest superpower.  All great states must shed and spill blood. 

What you probably will never understand (and I don't blame it on you, I blame it on the society of which you are a product) is that the whole blood spilling thing, works one-way: You (the average hot-blooded, middle or lower class american kid) spill your blood while the few megasharks of the large corporations don't spill their blood, but still those and only those reap the benefits. If USA is the sole superpower, that's an extremely tiny impact on you, but has a huge impact on them. They get the contracts, they make billion after billion... while naive kids like you believe that they do their country a service by getting killed for those raskals.

And if you want a second Vietnam, go ahead and join the Jihadists in Iraq.  At least they have the courage to give up their lives instead of merely whine and bitch about how bad America is while they sip their Starbucks cappucinos. 

I hate Starbucks, they make awful coffee

I am quite sure the Iraqi patriots and the Iranians shall make your life adequately miserable. I can - and will - lobby my goddamn American-cooperating bloody government to seize doing so and impose severe sanctions on your lot. If Europe stands up, USA is doomed, I hope you understand that, don't you? The very moment Europe decides (for real, not the half-cooked attempts prior to the Iraqi war, but a serious effort to discomfort USA) to stop backing the American jingoism, you are dead meat. Wall Street will collapse in 24 hours and the road is downhill from there on...

BTW Dear Cornelia

All non-Republican Americans I've encountered (and they are quite many, I work with people from your side of the pond most of the time) speak the contrary. They say that contra opinions are being opposed with unorthodox means, that "independant media" is a term now confined to a niche of "small-time media nobody pays attention to", that many journalists are being openly threat if not producing the "optimal" (for Bush&gang) stories, that people liberties have taken a hike while P.A. and the likes are being imposed, that the omnipresent secret services are even more omnipresent, that voices speaking the truth get banned from several media (usually the largest ones) who serve the status quo... (edited to add this gem I forgot) and even in schools, kids suggesting that killing people ain't right, are being bullied by the (not so silent) majority, that see anyone speaking against Bush's holy crusade as "traitor".

...so, if you haven't noticed anything, you either live on a high mountain, way far from where things happen, or you don't see anything because that's what you want to see (nothing!).

Could you please explain to me?

Edited by Aristoteles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>