Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which is the most powerful European power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is the most powerful European power
    Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 14:24
If your asking my perspective, not sure, Ihsan sent me a good link once on the Turkish air force. They seem formiddable but outdated by European standards.Dont have the numbers on the industrial capabilities and economy in front of me to balance it all. Certainly behind the major powers, where would you place Turkiye?
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 14:29

In Nato we are second behind the USA in terms of convetional forces,pal.

in Europe(interms of whole military terms),we would be behind France,England,Russia and Germany  i guess.we must be more stronger than spain and italy.

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 10:43
Just a curious, how is European NATO's powers compared to the USA militarily? Are they very behind or just a little? I'm talking about from equippment to training and morale. There are articles that claim USA spent so much on military that the NaTOs find did hard to keep up anymore. Lets say how much Nato troops would be equivalent of 10,000 American troops.
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 15:34

Definately Russia. Russia's economy is crap right now, but it has huge untapped reserves under her Siberian territory. Russia has thousands of planes, ships, and tanks to play with. Russia has thousands of excellent nukes, a lot more than any other country in Europe (France, 2nd, has 500). Also, the Russian government holds a lot of influence over many Europeans states as it is. However, Russia is not capable of being successful against the European Union. It would be foolhardy for a Russian invasion of Europe.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 15:40
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

In Nato we are second behind the USA in terms of convetional forces,pal.

in Europe(interms of whole military terms),we would be behind France,England,Russia and Germany  i guess.we must be more stronger than spain and italy.

You're kidding right? Turkey is partially impressive with her F16s, and her large army, but she in no way can compete with the likes of Italy and Spain. Both of them have larger economies, which means they can outlast Turkey in any war. Italy and Spain's fleets are world class, and will make mince-meat out of the Turkish fleet (and I'm not talking about Italy and Spain combined, I mean individually). Also, Italy, if there will ever be war between itself and Turkey (heaven forbid), it can comfortably sit down and prepare itself, without fearing any Turkish aerial attack.

That's because Turkey's air force would have to plow through Greece and violate other nations' airspace to actually launch any kinds of attacks on either Italian islands or the mainland. I can't see that happening. Spain is the same way. Spain is way too far for Turkey to reach. And invasion? Impossible, so there is no fear of an attacking Turkish army (just like Turkey would need not fear a military invasion of herself). But the Turkish government needs to realize that it has an enemy in its own backyard - the Kurds. We all know the Kurds would revolt if it went to war against any opponent. I would place Turkey around 7th, after Russia, France, England, Germany, Italy, and Spain (in Europe). Turkey is ahead of Greece, because although Greece has more advanced technology (or so said), Turkey's is only slightly less effective, and it has much more weapons to play with.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 16:16

What? How'd you know we have a military? That's stop secret.

In actuality, you'd have to be pretty weak to log in behind Germany in conventional forces. We have some pretty good special forces, though certainly not as good as the SEALs or Rangers.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 01:10

Let's repeat that officially "The Turkish army is the second most powerful in NATO after the American army" and remember at the same time that NATO includes all major European countries. Add to this fact that Turks have been known to be the best warriors through out the history, that's why the word "Turk" got it's dictionary meaning. So, whenever you talk about a war, you will be talking about "Turks" who will get back to their nature to save their land and maybe gain some more fighting with a "sissy nationality" that consists of individuals who want to live their individual life. And you need to read some history before talking about outlasting or mince-meating the Turks, you would be surprised, some recent history will show you how. Every nation has an enemy in it's own backyard when it becomes weak or gets involved in a war, don't even get in there, that's how World Wars start. Although your list sounds nice, I know you want to be proud, but I would definitely kick almost all of those countries -including Italy- behind Turkey. You are wrong about Greece as well. ---"Turks are one of the rare nations which has never been ruled by any other nation than itself that ruled many."

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 05:28

Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Both of them have larger economies

i was comparing only in terms of military conventional forces

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 06:03

can be.

In a war,being quick,strenth and number of forces are more important.

Turkey has the seventh most powerful army in the world.In front of Turkey there are USA,China,North Korea,Russia.The other two are not Europeans.

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 08:16
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

can be.

In a war,being quick,strenth and number of forces are more important.

Turkey has the seventh most powerful army in the world.In front of Turkey there are USA,China,North Korea,Russia.The other two are not Europeans.

are you joking?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 15:09
Ukraine and Germany both have more tanks and France, Germany and UK have more aircraft, and then there is the navy.
Manpower alone isn't everything, the US has a smaller army in manpower terms than some other countries, should we thus rank them 4th or 5th?

Arrrgh!!"
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 20:03

Underestimate the turks at your peril. Their troop quality is amongst the best in Europe matched only by the UK and Germany.

True they suffer from a lack of mdern equipment, but that's old history the gap is closing. Aircraft wise they're now using F16's and gradually upgrading all areas of their armed forces. The US is increasingly seeing them as their most reliable military ally in Europe and arming them cheaply. Turkey gave the US and extended lone of an aircraft carrier recently, and the US wanted to lone Turkey 100 Abahams (but they refused).

Their army currently uses M60A5's (they are currently upgrading to Sabra Mk II's from Israel) which are more than a match for any country except Russian T-80's, UK Challenger II's, French Le'Clerk's and German Leopard II's. They have recently purchased  AH-1Z King Cobra attack helicopters as used by the US marines capable of firing both TOW and TOWII missiles.

Finally Turkey have a long tradition of military excellence stretching back to the 19th century when their modernisation lead the way for all other European armies to follow creating the first merit based professional officer college, that West Point and Sandhurst are mere copies of. In the twentieth century they crushed the British army at Gallipoli.

I think they could quite easily defeat Italy or Spain in a war but like France, UK and Germany rely entirely on foriegn imports in a war, but definately rate at least 5th in Europe (and improving)............

Except of course the major flaw in the argument.

Turkey is not in Europe...... It's in Asia.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 21:01
Its in both actualy
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 06:28
I think it doesn't matter which European country has the largest or strongest army because I don't see European countries fighting against each other in the (near) future.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 14:34
You good European you 
Arrrgh!!"
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 15:44

You read your info wrong, Turkey's army is not the second strongest, it's the second LARGEST, two very different things. Turkey's army barely has efficient enough tanks to fight a major European power. As for economies, they'er majorly important in wars, VERY.

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 00:17
You can talk to me about how fierce the Turks are as warriors, but you forget one thing.  This isn't the middle ages.

Today what matters most is what kind of equipment an army has, how trained the troops, are, and how long a country can keep the supply lines running.  Not how fierce the warrior is.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 03:37

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

I think it doesn't matter which European country has the largest or strongest army because I don't see European countries fighting against each other in the (near) future.

Exactly pal

Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 10:18

are you joking?

N.O.I.A.M.N.O.T

Today what matters most is what kind of equipment an army has, how trained the troops, are, and how long a country can keep the supply lines running.  Not how fierce the warrior is

It is Turkey!

Supply lines?Turkey has a regular war-mobilization system.It works good although we have less money.

And if you follow up Nato's manouevres Turkish soldiers and commandos always have medals or awards.They do the best.

Edited by Jagatai Khan
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 14:36
Anyone want to join me in my bomb shelter before this thread erupts into a full scale riot.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>