Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great
    Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 10:34

I'm not playing with any word, I said from the begining, the tactic of his army was not continued during Rome's time and thats a fact.

"However, the lesson is recorded in history and Alexander's tactics and innovations (always being aggressive, seizing the opportunity, mobility vs. numbers, importance of siege train, state of the art logistics service etc) were examined and employed throughout history. Even the defeat of the later armies was an important lesson because it has shown how correct Alexander was when he employed a combination of arms."

I still want examples on what field deployment is based on his tactic, so far you haven't gave me any, all you've said is that people like Napoleon and Frederick examined his military. But they also examined many others, and none of them could be said to have greatly affected future military thoughts. Been aggressive and seizing opportunity is something that all good generals do with instinct, not learned. Mobility verse numbers has always been the tactic of central asia way before Alexander, and the later European learned more of that from steppe people like turks than Alexander. I have not seen anything regarding siege train from later European armies been associated with Alexander, in fact the medieval trebuchet's design is very different in nature with the torsion type that the ancient Greeks used. As for combination of arms, similarly, I have not seen solid record that later armies actually adopted from him rather than figuring it out themselves.

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 15:54
Originally posted by warhead

I'm not playing with any word, I said from the begining, the tactic of his army was not continued during Rome's time and thats a fact.

Stick to something.  Here's the post I responded to:

That was not my point, obviously, it shows that his tactic did not pass on and outlive him, thus it has little affect on military strategy of the future.

So, to answer your question, you saying his tactic didn't outlive him is what was incorrect. 

τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 19:33
Stop mitpicking my post, its very clear that since the begining, my point was that his influence did not as Yiannis claimed, "revolutionized" future military thoughts. And no, I'm not incorrect, even Pyuruss's tactic did not resemble those of Alexander.
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 09:30
But he had elephants and a significant cavalry force. He would have neither if it wasn't for Alexandrian-Philipian innovations. Thus Yiannis' point stands.
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 09:56
Yiannis' point is that Alexander revolutionized future military warfare, which obviously doesn't stand consider the age of Macedonian warfare lasted little more than a centruy.
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 10:19

Was the long-lanced pikemen of 16th century Europe an adoptation of Macedonian tactics? Or was it just a coinicidence that this tactic was newly invented?

warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 11:39
There is already a discussion in the swiss infantry forum. The pikemen were more to do with their own innovation than adoptation of the Macedonian phalanx, since their initial weapon was halberd, and they discovered its effectiveness first, then applied pike.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 14:59
lance tactics of the renaissance differed from the use of the pike Phalanx.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2004 at 23:26

Originally posted by Yiannis

• Revolutionized the way war was being fought (with the help of his father Philippos). The idea of heavy infantry acting as anvil that holds the enemy front and heavy cavalry acting as hammer giving the decisive strike was unique. Moreover the combination of arms he employed (heavy and psiloi troops plus siege engineers) and raw model logistics (with the exception of the Gedrosia incident)

Not sue if he was just at the right place at the right time encountering a weak emperor or he had some special military talent. Regardless, Hitler proved much more in this area, after all he defeated multiple countries and Alexander only defeated one (in multiple battles). Hitler is not considered to be anyone special why should Alexander be.

• He unified almost the entire known world (ok, from a "western" point of view. Up till then Greeks knew (in detail) only as far as Persepolis and perhaps a bit further to the edge of India. Greek maps after Alexander show as far as Indochina and the mapping of the Persian golf coast opened trade routes between Egypt and India.

Come on, this is a history forum I think we all know better. This statement would be good for one of these move fan sites for people living in their fantasies. All the area he captured was already part of the Persian/Iranian empire. I fact his empire was smaller in area than the original Persian empire even if you include the small part of the Greece he added.

• Greek art, literature and architecture created a common culture as far as India and affected local cultures (e.g. Ghandara art). Moreover, Greek engineers and scientists improved greatly agricultural methods. Egypt, prior to the Ptolemies was not even able to feed it's own population. The new methods rendered Egypt as the breadbasket of Europe (much to Rome's benefit in the end)

Cultural an d scientific exchange does not require conquest, and you make it sound like Greeks were ahead of the world at that time. Not sure if that is true

• Huge amount of Persian gold were taken from the state coffers where it laid idle and thrown into circulation. The commerce boom that ensued was unprecedented in world history.

Nice spin. You mean he was a good pirate. Even if what you say is true that was not planned by him. He was after stealing someone else's gold not stimulating the economy

• Laid the way for the creation of the Roman empire and, ultimately, for the spread of Christianism.

Not trying to say the Christianity is a good thing or bad, but the religion of people he defeated (Zoroastrianism), had a lot ( and I mean a lot) in common with Christianity and his religion had nothing to do with Christianity. Where that commonality comes from is source of another discussion, but if you think Christianity is a good thing you should go thank the ancient Persians for that

I'm sure there're many more, but these are the ones I can think of right now...

I can..... 

Edited by Miller
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 08:43

Originally posted by Miller

Not sue if he was just at the right place at the right time encountering a weak emperor or he had some special military talent. Regardless, Hitler proved much more in this area, after all he defeated multiple countries and Alexander only defeated one (in multiple battles). Hitler is not considered to be anyone special why should Alexander be.

Actually Hitler's generals are praised for his early victories and in the end Hitler LOST the war, remember? Moreover Hitler did not lead the Nazi armies. However even if I find your comparison a bit unappropriate I have to say that if Hitler had won the war we would probably today praize him as a genius and we would have been taght that in school.

. All the area he captured was already part of the Persian/Iranian empire.

So what? He conquered every part by winning different battles. Following your logic, if one would conquer the Roman empire that would be nothing special since he would have conquered nothing but "one country"!

Cultural an d scientific exchange does not require conquest, and you make it sound like Greeks were ahead of the world at that time. Not sure if that is true

True for the first part, but you have to admit that conquest and unification of Greek and Middle Eastern world accelerated this exchange. Secong part, I think that yes, Greeks were ahead of the rest of the world at the time (but I might be a bit biased on that )

Nice spin. You mean he was a good pirate. Even if what you say is true that was not planned by him. He was after stealing someone else's gold not stimulating the economy

No, I mean that instead of keeping the gold idle in the treasury, he minted it and put it to circulation. Greek bank (type of) institutions were established in the East and commerce boomed as a consequece of his actions. So it's not more what you do with the riches that you loot. He put useless gold into good use.

Not trying to say the Christianity is a good thing or bad, but the religion of people he defeated (Zoroastrianism), had a lot ( and I mean a lot) in common with Christianity and his religion had nothing to do with Christianity. Where that commonality comes from is source of another discussion, but if you think Christianity is a good thing you should go thank the ancient Persians for that

I personally think that Christianity (and religion in general) is an insult on the face of humanity but that's not our topic here. Yes, Christianity was greatly influenced by Judaism, Zoroastrians as well as other local religions of parts of the Roman empire.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 18:28
I can't help but find it ironic Yiannis that you appear to be supportive of Alexander, yet you seem politically left of center, something I wouldn't expect from someone of that belief.
Member of IAEA
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 03:47

I don't think that you can put Alexander and his actions in the frame of modern-day politics. I judge them based on the conditions of his era. (moreover, since I'm also Greek I must admit that I'm -probably- a bit biased towards Alexander )

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 06:00

I don't think that you can put Alexander and his actions in the frame of modern-day politics. I judge them based on the conditions of his era.

I second that.  In fact, it was the way of empires to overrun vast tracts of land and subdue any tribes or kingdoms which resisted.  This goes back to the likes of Sargon in Mesopotamia, and it certainly happened on a smaller scale amidst the prehistoric tribes which would've been wrangling over hunting grounds or territorial domain.  It's in the human condition.

What sets us apart from the likes of Alexander's Macedon and Darius's Persia is the new level of consciousness about human rights and reasons not to wage war...they didn't know any better.

"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 06:29
Originally posted by YusakuJon3

What sets us apart from the likes of Alexander's Macedon and Darius's Persia is the new level of consciousness about human rights and reasons not to wage war...they didn't know any better.

Aaaa, interesting point. But these two were essentialy different in the sense that the first, although not a Democracy, had the sence of civil liberties that are valued even today while the second one was an absolute monarchy where the Great King was "the Alpha and the Omega" and owed everything in his domain even the lives of his subjects. (please don't bring the example of Cleitus to dispute me, I'll give him the excuse that Alexander was drunk and that he later has shown great remorse :-)

Lannes View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Lannes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2004 at 20:42

Originally posted by YusakuJon3

It's not that they didn't know any better, it was just that war was their way.

Ancients didn't seem to take the same humanist view that so many people in modern times like to take, though that is not to say they didn't realize in full what disasters war could cause.

Edited by Lannes
τρέφεται δέ, ὤ Σώκρατης, ψυχὴ τίνι;
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2004 at 00:39

I personally think that Christianity (and religion in general) is an insult on the face of humanity but that's not our topic here. Yes, Christianity was greatly influenced by Judaism, Zoroastrians as well as other local religions of parts of the Roman empire.

You have picked an interesting name for someone who thinks Christianity is an insult on the face humanity Yiannis

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2004 at 07:07
It was actually picked for me by my parents, when I was too young to pick for myself...

Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2004 at 07:33
As I've nearly finished Robin Lane Fox's Alexander the Great, I get the impression that much of the conqueror's "history" was written by his Successors and various pamphleteers who either had reason to glorify the man or demean him and rivals from within his circle of friends.  For instance, the accusations of poisoning by Antipater or his sons, and how, in the Wars of the Successors, Ptolemy pulled a fast one and hoarded Alexander's corpse.  I'm beginning to think, realistically, that Alexander's reign would've been short enough as it is because of all the internecine conflict into which he was born and how he had no less than two purges during his reign (first, rivals to the throne, then Parmenio and his sons).  If not from betrayal by his companions, Alexander's empire would've collapsed from a rebellion by the Greek and Macedonian countrymen who were brought up on Arostotle's credo of Greek supremacy, much of which he was going against with his forced emmigration and intermarriages of Greek and Iranian on the Persian frontier.  With the added possibility of a harsh Arabian and African campaign and the king's belief in his own press releases ("I am God -- ahem..."), and there would be a rebellion at some point.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2004 at 03:35

Although I cannot disagree with most of the issues that you point out, I can disagree with the last one. Greek culture had the element that men who performed extraordinary deeds (must) be more than men. The concept of demi-Gog (Theseus, Jason, Hercules) was devised for that purpose. So Alexander, the conquer of the greatest empire on earth must have been "more than human". Orators in Athens and elsewhere were already fostering this idea (paid by Alexander? maybe but the idea was there).

So it was not just Alexander's megalomania but also a political tool that could unite the Greek world in the whole Medditeranean basin.

That was the sperm that created Roman deification of Emperors...

Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 20:35
What you said is also a kernel of later claims by European kings and queens of their own divine right to rule.  Which sometimes translated as whatever they wanted, what they told you not to do in whatever religion be damned.  Perhaps it was an echo of intellectual skepticism over this that I was reading, but I'm aware that not all of the Hellenes (as Greeks of that era called themselves) saw a benefit to Macedonian rule under Alexander and his father Philip.  The one passage that describes his cross-dressing at a wild party could well have been an exaggerated satire of one of many religius festivals that were attended in those days, no doubt done in the spirit of his Athenian nemesis, Demosthenes.
"There you go again!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>