Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSs. Kiril and Metodij are the apostles of the Macedonian nation -

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ss. Kiril and Metodij are the apostles of the Macedonian nation -
    Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 02:47
*sigh* If they were Macedonian how is it they were were educated in Constantinople, spoke Greek, were evangelists of the Orthodox Greek Church etc etc etc. Honestly this type of historical celebrity stealing by nationalistic groups is madness. Next you'll be claiming Captain Cook was a Macedonian and hence the countries of Oceanea are  the product of a glorious age of seaborne Macedonian Imperialism .

Edited by Constantine XI
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 03:50

When in doubt, google:

CYRIL

Saint Cyril and Saint Methodius

Also known as
Apostle of the Slavs; Apostle of the Southern Slavs Constantin; Constantine the Philospher; Constantine; Cyril the Philosopher;
Memorial
14 February; formerly 7 July and/or 9 March
Brother of Saint Methodius. Greek nobility; his family was connected with the senate of Thessalonica, and his mother Maria may have been Slavic. Studied at the University of Constantinople, and taught philosophy there. Deacon. Priest. Librarian at the church of Santa Sophia. Monk, taking the name Cyril. Sent with Methodius by the emperor in 861 to convert the Jewish Khazars of Russia, a mission that was successful, and which allowed him to learn the Khazar's language. In 863, sent with Methodius to convert Moravians in their native tongue. Though some western clergy opposed their efforts and refused to ordain their candidates for the priesthood, they did good work. Developed an alphabet for the Slavonic language that eventually became what is known as the Cyrillic today. After initial criticism for their use of it, they achieved approval of the Liturgy in the Slavonic language.
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintc08.htm

Saint Cyril, (born in 827, Thessaloniki, Byzantine Empire (today Greece); died February 4, 869, Rome) was a Byzantine monk, scholar, theologian, and linguist. With his brother Methodius he is believed to have invented the Glagolitic alphabet, an alphabet used for Slavonic manuscripts before the development of the Cyrillic alphabet. The two brothers were sent by Byzantine Emperor Michael III to evangelize to the Slavs in Great Moravia. They convinced many of the ecclesiastical authorities of their time to permit translation of the liturgy and Gospels into Old Church Slavonic.

Cyril's work was later transmitted by his pupils, who were expelled from Great Moravia in 885 and went to Bulgaria and other countries.

Cyril was canonized as a saint and is also called "apostle of the Slavs", together with St. Methodius.

< =text/> //

Early Life of Cyril

Of the two "Apostles to the Slavs," Cyril (originally named Constantine) died in 869; Methodius, in 885. They were the sons of a Greek subordinate military officer named Drungarius, born at Thessalonica, and a mother of Slavic origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Cyril

As for the name Cyril being Slavic  read here:

Cyrillic Look up Cyrillic at Dictionary.com
1842, the Slavic alphabet, from St. Cyril, 9c. apostle of the Slavs, who supposedly invented it. It replaced earlier Glagolitic. The name Cyril is L.L. Cyrillus, from Greek. Kyrillos, lit. "lordly, masterful," related to kyrios "lord, master."
Or here:
CYRIL
Usage: English
Pronounced: SEER-il   [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days
Options: Contribute Information, Add to List
From the Greek name (Kyrillos) which was derived from Greek (kyrios) "lord". Saint Cyril of Jerusalem was a 4th-century bishop and a Doctor of the Church. Saint Cyril of Alexandria was a 5th-century theologian. Another Saint Cyril was a 9th-century linguist and a Greek missionary to the Slavs. The Cyrillic alphabet, which is still used today, was created by him and his brother Methodius in order to translate the Bible into Slavic.

Coming to Methodius now:

METHODIUS
Usage: Ancient Greek (Latinized)
Pronounced: me-THO-dee-us   [key]
Extra Info: Related Names, Namesakes
Latinized form of the Greek name (Methodios), derived from Greek (methodos) meaning "pursuit" or "method", ultimately from (meta) "with" and (hodos) "road". Saint Methodius was a Greek missionary to the Slavs who developed the Cyrillic alphabet (with his brother Cyril) in order to translate the Bible into Slavic.

Forgot to mention that the name Kliment is not "Proto-Bulgarian" but derives from Klement:

KLIMENT
Usage: Russian, Bulgarian, Czech
Other Scripts: Климент (Russian, Bulgarian)
Extra Info: Related Names, Name Days
Russian, Bulgarian and Czech form of CLEMENT

CLEMENT
Usage: English
Pronounced: KLE-ment   [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Name Days
From the Late Latin name Clemens which meant "merciful, gentle". This was the name of 14 popes, including Saint Clement I, the third pope, one of the Apostolic Fathers. Another saint named Clement was Saint Clement of Alexandria, a theologian and church father who attempted to reconcile Christian and Platonic philosophies.

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 04:01

Originally posted by Menippos

Actually their real names were Chi Wi Lo and Metodiro and they came to the Balkans from their countries in the far east to trade Yu-gi-oh Cards in the black markets of Sofia, Istanbul and Athens.  At the port of Pireus they were mugged and left naked next to the Olympic installations where they sought shelter and stole some gowns from the athletes' changing rooms (since then, Greek athletes did not wear any clothes whatsoever when training or competing). Dressed in Greek clothes they travelled back to Sofia where they were arrested and deported to Turkey, mistaken for Turks because of their Mongol characteristics. They were last reported in South America, trying to buy firestones from the Land of Fire.

now thats make sense, thats why some south amerians look like Asians

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 04:38

Actually their real names were Chi Wi Lo and Metodiro and they came to the Balkans from their countries in the far east to trade Yu-gi-oh Cards in the black markets of Sofia, Istanbul and Athens.  At the port of Pireus they were mugged and left naked next to the Olympic installations where they sought shelter and stole some gowns from the athletes' changing rooms (since then, Greek athletes did not wear any clothes whatsoever when training or competing). Dressed in Greek clothes they travelled back to Sofia where they were arrested and deported to Turkey, mistaken for Turks because of their Mongol characteristics. They were last reported in South America, trying to buy firestones from the Land of Fire.

Quality humour I must admit.

Originally posted by Aeolus

Just think about it - they created a new alphabet, translated books into slavic and made up the new and complex slav religious terminology. How can they have done this if they were Greeks

Simply back in that time, there were large numbers of Slavs living in Thessaloniki. Many Greeks learned their language since the majority of Slavs had no education therefore Slavs couldnt communicate in Greek. Furthermore Methodios had been appointed to a high administrative position in a Slavic-speaking area hence he had the chance to learn fluently their language and was informed in a deep sense about their traditions and customs.

And since they have never been to Bulgaria it's obvious that they must have been slavs (bulgarians) and mastered the slavic language in their own family.

What an excellent argument. Since i speak Italian perfectly  but i have never been to Italy up to now , i must have Italian roots. How didnt i thought of that till now!!!

When will you Greeks admit the obvious... They couldn't have learned Bulgarian that good in the market could they. My mother (she is Russian) has lived 20 years in Baku (the capital of Azerbaijan) and she can't speak their language. Just think about it. One day you are in your home watching TV, drinking beer and suddenly the Greek president calls you on the phone and sais: "Aeolus, the Mongolians have decided to accept christianity from us. I want you to create a new alphabet for them, to translate the Bible and a hole bunch of other theologycal books in Mongolian and create the new Mongolian theologycal terminology."  And actually the real situation wasn't that much different, because the Bulgars were a Central Asian tribe and it wouldn't be a surprise if it turned out they had some relation to the Mongols. Indeed Kiril and Methodious had briliant teachers, but none of them spoke Slavic, because the Byzantines didn't bother studying Slavic. To them it was a dissgrace. They wanted to assimilate the Slavs, not the other way around. And it's undoubtable that you can't learn a language that good out on the market or the street. Further more Greek was the only official language in the Byzantine institutions. So much for Methodious... 

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 05:34

You shouldn't speculate instead of debating.

I have provided some information not from Greek (not that they would be unreliable, but anyway) but from international scholars. You chose not to address them, or even my rebuffing of your claims that e.g. Cyril is Slavic or that Clement is "proto-Bulgarian", but instead to speculate that "they could not learn Slavic in the market place" or that "Byzantines considered it a disgrace to learn Slavic" etc... not a real argument, wouldn't you agree? I mean, how do you back up these claims?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be patronizing, just showing that there's another point of view and (at least for the time being) that it seems to be holding more water.

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 05:55
Originally posted by Yiannis

You shouldn't speculate instead of debating.

You're right. I also  admit that I was wrong about the names. Well, actually I knew that Kiril's real name was Constantine. It must have sliped my mind... What's interesting is why he replaced his Greek name with a Slavic one. Simple - he was a slav. I'll look for a reliable source on the Internet and post a link.

Bye for now.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 06:06

Originally posted by the Bulgarian

What's interesting is why he replaced his Greek name with a Slavic one. Simple - he was a slav.

Once again:Cyril is a Greek not a Slavic name. Re-read my previous post on etumology!

But even if Cyril was not Greek, you're saying that someone is a Slav but receives at birth a Greek name (Constantinos-which is actually not Greek but Roman)  only to change it later on to a (presumably) Slavic one. Where is the logic in that? Did he discover later on in his that he was Slav? If the name can determine nationality (which obviously doesn't) why was he baptised with a Greek name?

Edited by Yiannis

Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 06:35
Originally posted by Constantine XI

*sigh* ...next you'll be claiming Captain Cook was a Macedonian and hence the countries of Oceanea are  the product of a glorious age of seaborne Macedonian Imperialism .

Why do I have the impression that I have read something along these lines somewhere?
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 06:43
To add further to Yiannis' argument, I know many Greek monks who bear names of Benedict, Valentine, Prokopy, etc.
Does this mean that they are actually foreign people who came to Greece to be monks?
And why then, one of them (Benedict) was my neighbour before he became a monk, and his real name back then was Nikolaos Poulopoulos?
CARRY NOTHING
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 06:44

When will you Greeks admit the obvious...

The series of IFs you stated in no case cant be characterised as "obvious" but as usual they have the widespread meaning of "assumptions".

My mother (she is Russian) has lived 20 years in Baku (the capital of Azerbaijan) and she can't speak their language. Just think about it.

You are kidding me here, right?? No offense to your mother, but you are comparing her with two of the greatest intellectuals and linguists of that period in Byzantine empire, who had in their career, top positions like principal secretary of the patriarch or librarian, or professor in the university of Constantinople and the unusual ability for the period and place of speaking more than 4 languages like Cyril had???? You really have a wild fantasy there coming with such examples.

One day you are in your home watching TV, drinking beer and suddenly the Greek president calls you on the phone and sais: "Aeolus, the Mongolians have decided to accept christianity from us. I want you to create a new alphabet for them, to translate the Bible and a hole bunch of other theologycal books in Mongolian and create the new Mongolian theologycal terminology."  And actually the real situation wasn't that much different, because the Bulgars were a Central Asian tribe and it wouldn't be a surprise if it turned out they had some relation to the Mongols.

Firstly, i am not a linguist, i speak only two languages fluently, In my homeplace there isnt an extra large number of Mongols residing, the last time i checked my CV i havent had in my career an administrative position in any Mongol part of the world, fact is that i havent had the chance to speak to any Mongol or of Mongol origin in my entire life, therefore no thanks, i am far away from what Cyril and Methodius were and even more were capable of doing.

Indeed Kiril and Methodious had briliant teachers, but none of them spoke Slavic, because the Byzantines didn't bother studying Slavic.

The teachers of Cyril were living in Constantinople, not  in Thessaloniki with an extremely large number of Slavs around, hense on the contrary, the need of learning Slavic for them was insignificant.

And it's undoubtable that you can't learn a language that good out on the market or the street. Further more Greek was the only official language in the Byzantine institutions. So much for Methodious... 

Oh really?? He managed to learn the language of Khazars and the Samaritan languages in just one trip and u say he couldnt learn to speak Slavic fluently which was spoken in his birthplace and he had all the time since the beginning of his life to do so?? Terribly sorry but the argumentation you came with lacks any kind of validity. 

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 06:49

What's interesting is why he replaced his Greek name with a Slavic one. Simple - he was a slav.

So, if i get rid off my Greek name and take one Arabic it will be a proof for the next generations that i am an Arab??

As i said before, your logic doesnt stop to surprise me!!!

Edited by Aeolus
A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 07:06
Of course no one changes his name or religion just like that. To do this you must have a serious reason.
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 07:31
Originally posted by Aeolus

[quote]My mother (she is Russian) has lived 20 years in Baku (the capital of Azerbaijan) and she can't speak their language. Just think about it.

You are kidding me here, right?? No offense to your mother, but you are comparing her with two of the greatest intellectuals and linguists of that period in Byzantine empire, who had in their career, top positions like principal secretary of the patriarch or librarian, or professor in the university of Constantinople and the unusual ability for the period and place of speaking more than 4 languages like Cyril had???? You really have a wild fantasy there coming with such examples.

Not to brag, but I speak fluently Russian, English and know a little Spanish. Of course, Bulgarian doesn't count.

Yiannis was right - I shouldn't have brought this topic back to life. This argument is pointless - I say something and a hole hord of angry Greeks starts waging war on me. The positive thing is that after 1300 years of fighting and bloodshed Bulgarians and Greeks are finally having a civilized conversation in a friendly manner.

One thing you can't deny us is that if it wasn't for Bulgaria the Cyrylic alphabet and Slavonic culture wouldn't have survived thrue the ages. The Cyrylic alphabet was created in Bulgaria. Only in Bulgaria did Kiril and Methodiouss' students find refuge from the prosecutions of the German archbishops. Bulgaria became the cradle and center of Slavic literature and culture and from here they spread to Serbia, Russia etc.

This, I hope, is something the Greeks won't despute.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 07:39

To add further to Yiannis' argument, I know many Greek monks who bear names of Benedict, Valentine, Prokopy, etc.
Does this mean that they are actually foreign people who came to Greece to be monks?
And why then, one of them (Benedict) was my neighbour before he became a monk, and his real name back then was Nikolaos Poulopoulos?
No Poulopoulos,Karafotis......
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 08:05
CARRY NOTHING
Harry Potter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 22:26
Kiril and Metodi. They r half macedonian half greek. bulgarian - NOO!!! They knew the greek language like many macos in that time and made a mix of the greek and the latin alphabet to make new one, the cyrilic.
Macedonian swear in 1903 wars: With the blood we shed all over Macedonian fields and forests, we serve freedom, as the Macedonian army of Alexander of Macedon did, with our slogan Freedom or Death!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 02:48
Would any other nationalists who would like to claim St Kyrillos and Methodios as their own, please send in the appropriate application form to the " International Society for the Revision of History". The form can be downloaded in pdf format from: www.davidirving.org .
Germans and Greeks need not to apply!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 03:25
CARRY NOTHING
Menippos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 03:35
Originally posted by Harry Potter

Kiril and Metodi. They r half macedonian half greek. bulgarian - NOO!!! They knew the greek language like many macos in that time and made a mix of the greek and the latin alphabet to make new one, the cyrilic.

I need to revise my previous account.
Actually they were Native Americans and they had totally different names.
They took on these false names after their lands were attacked by the Conquistadores, in order to hide their true ethnicity but were discover and were brought to George W. Bush as trophies by the Royal Expeditionary Force who pirated 4 triremes and 2 drakkars because they mistook them for Japanese fishboats. G.W.Bush gave them an office in the Reichstag during the Boer wars and there they learned the South Korean language. As soon as they were finished bringing the beaurocratic system to a abyssmal halt there, they were honourably discharged and retired somewhere in Montana where they found captain Remius who had gone for the memorial service of his first officer and together with him they now have opened a Tandoori restaurant in South Kensington, London, serving all kinds of sushi in batter.
And I have academic references for all of teh above. Trust me. I'll be back.

Edited by Menippos
CARRY NOTHING
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jul-2005 at 05:50
Okay guys, as this thread has now steadily moved on to the realms of historical fiction, I've got a difficult choice to make. Either to move it to the "Historical Amusement", where it rightfully belongs, or, in order not to let ot deteriorate any further into nationalist mudslinging, to close it temporarily. I think, I'll go for the latter option.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12