Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Neighboring Countries Who Get Along

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neighboring Countries Who Get Along
    Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 21:25
I gather you live on the eastern seaboard!
If you drive down through anywhere in Washington, Idaho or Montana you will see this. I have even seen Canadian flags as far south as Walla Walla next to the Oregon border. I do not mind it and it helps to remind me of our neighbor to the north. Although, like many Americans I consider myself patriotic and I fly a flag in front of my house. Even when I flew the Greek flag I would not fly it without an American flag above it. The one country I have been to that seems very nationalistic with flags everywhere is Turkey but that is their right. I do not think Mexico and the USA get along so well, especially with the drug smugglers. I love Mexico but unlike Canada it is not safe with the violence caused by the drug cartels. I would love to go south and tour the Hohokham ruins at Casa Grandes but it is not safe without a large group. The US State Dept has issued warnings about the border regions so I may still go down there with a group. I can travel in Canada alone but not Mexico or at least the border regions. Even with the Kurds Turkey is much safer than Mexico but Mexico is far from the most dangerous place to travel in the world. Hey what a good idea for a thread- The most dangerous countries for tourist!! I hope someday I relations will improve.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 21:32
Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

Were not a patriotic nation. We have a dislike for nationalism and patriotism. If you go to other regions of Canada, the USA flag is common next to ours. We are not a military nation either, yet we are usually one of the first nation to fight.  Funny that thought, when i go down south of the border, I never see any Canadian flags. I find that now ironic to your post eaglecap. LOL

Yeah, same here. Often all the Nordic flags are raised in a group of flag poles, or along streets.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2009 at 21:59

Originally posted by The Canadian Guy

We are not a military nation either, yet we are usually one of the first nation to fight.

Well, I wouldn't say that. Soldiering definately runs deep in Canadian veins, which, I think, is exactly why we are so reluctant to go to war and so cynical about nationalism.

Edited by edgewaters - 20-Feb-2009 at 22:02
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 01:01
Originally posted by edgewaters

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Australia and New Zealand make a stellar example. Caring and sharing with one another since European colonisation, if there were ever an example of fraternity in statehood it would be between these two.

They are only neighbours about as much as, say, Ireland and Jamaica though. Two thousand miles apart I think?

Two thousand miles apart!? No way. I don't think it is even 2,000 km - which is a heap closer than the Jamaica/Ireland comparison.

Being both island nations, this for us is very close. We have a higher exchange of people between eachother than with any other single nation, and do consider eachother neighbours in the state sense.
copaloca View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote copaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 01:23
It's true that neighbouring nations don't "click". We have a Slovenian - Croatian conflict right now. Actually we really don't like eachother. But i don't kow why and i'm sure that a lot of people don't know it either. It just "go with the herd" effect. It sucks...

Edited by copaloca - 21-Feb-2009 at 01:24
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 02:15
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Two thousand miles apart!? No way. I don't think it is even 2,000 km - which is a heap closer than the Jamaica/Ireland comparison.

Being both island nations, this for us is very close. We have a higher exchange of people between eachother than with any other single nation, and do consider eachother neighbours in the state sense.

Really? I didn't think they looked that far apart on the map, but I always hear Australians and NZers emphasizing how distant they are from one another?

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 02:24
the kiwis try and be different, they're sensitive like Canadians that get mistaken for americans

Edited by Leonidas - 21-Feb-2009 at 02:28
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Feb-2009 at 04:08

Originally posted by Leonidas

the kiwis try and be different, they're sensitive like Canadians that get mistaken for americans

Heck, even Americans don't want to be mistaken for Americans! That's why all the backpacking students get packs with a Canadian flag when they do the Europe thing.

Edited by edgewaters - 21-Feb-2009 at 04:13
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2009 at 20:06
It does make me feel uncomfortable when I get questioned by locals in Europe. They ask me if I am Yank or Canuck. I have to explain to them that I am Canadian eh? LOLTongue
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
AL_C0 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AL_C0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2009 at 20:58
There was a lot of talk of a Canadian invasion by certain right-wing media folks in the U.S in the past couple of years. 

Haven't the Poles and the Magyars gotten along fairly well?
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2009 at 22:04
Canadian Invasion eh?LOLLOLLOLLOL I want to hear what they would have to say bout that. LOL Too funny that!
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
AksumVanguard View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AksumVanguard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2009 at 22:40
Ethiopia and the Sudan their histories are almost indistinguishable in some regions.

Yemen,Oman and Arabia.

China gets along with Vietnam and Korea pretty well through history they even now have communism in common.

Spain and Portugal??they've been divided but only have had one or 2 wars through out their history.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2009 at 23:11
How about Switzerland? I figure they must get on well with all their neighbours.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 09:29
china does not really get along with Vietnam or Korea
AL_C0 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote AL_C0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2009 at 10:27
The Swiss still proudly defend Vatican City.....   not much of a country though....   (Vatican City is not much of a country that is..... more like a city)

I am curious what the Spanish and Portuguese think of each other... i imagine that there are many cases of cross border raids on chicken coops which may inevitably lead to war....
AksumVanguard View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AksumVanguard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 07:04

china does not really get along with Vietnam or Korea

Vietnam has had conflicts with China in recent decades and that is due to subtle  strategic maneuvers by China. At first Xiaoping had MA supplied to Vietnam with the Ho Chi Mihn
 Trail but China grew more wary of them when Viet Cong  set up bases in Cambodia which led to suspicion,They were looking to get aid  from the USSR but were holding back because the Soviets wanted a communist government in Vietnam by their standards but the USSR brought help eventually. When the US and Vietnam came to a Paris Peace Agreement the Vietnamese were worried about being bullied by China or USSR. So they came into conflict with in the Parcel Islands and were trying to gain more territory in Cambodia to not be squeezed in on on their borders. Vietnam would also not give up territory in Cambodia and Pol Pet regime had massacred Vietnamese living there. They flushed Khmer and henceforth went into conflict with China.

Vietnam eventually has signed a pact with China since the PRC are becoming ever powerful,and are their only source for economic prosperity. PRC also is an economic role model for China.They are in a $20 billion deficit with China and Vietnam has been conceding offshore territory to china in recent years . But I'm pretty sure Vietnam is used to this because China has done this for years even when was called Dat Viet.

China seems to now how to balance a Absolutist and Republic ruled State. Even when China was a Imperial Monarchy it had civil service exams for government officials . Now it seems to be able to balance Communism with Capitalist prosperity.Vietnam is able to recognize China as the best example and cannot hold back any longer.So they have a good relationship

North Korea received help from both China and  USSR in the Korean War but mainly from China giving some 300,000 troops to their aid. North Korea decided to be involved in import and export trade with the Soviet Union after the war but faltered after their fall.Their have been Nuclear Agreement concerns and also China wants to set political requirements in order to become more deeply involved in trade.But the Koreans and  Chinese affairs are not abrasive.But throughout history before the modern era there has been skirmashes on the Sino-Korean border.

Edited by AksumVanguard - 25-Feb-2009 at 19:57
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 07:37

I think Vietnam & Thailand  have cordial relations through out history.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 08:56
Originally posted by pebbles

they are rivals more than anything. Thailand was an important and willing military way point for the US when it was battling the current government of Vietnam.

AksumVanguard, Vietnam has un-resolved territorial disputes with the PRC. The only change today is that the PRC is much more pragmatic in how it deals with its neighbors. But having a war in the 70's and what would be at best cool relations doesnt mean they're good.
pebbles View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote pebbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 09:09

Originally posted by pebbles

they are rivals more than anything.

Thailand was an important and willing military way point for the US when it was battling the current government of Vietnam.

Not historically though,no Shocked

This scenario is more a remnant of " cold war " and Thailand is a stooge of US miltary strategy in SE Asia than real tensions between these 2 countries.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2009 at 09:53
Canada and the USA get alone just fine, even though Canada's only true neighbor is the USA.

Except you did burn each others capitals in the 1812 war. English Canada was founded solely because of bad relations with the rebel USA.
They are only neighbours about as much as, say, Ireland and Jamaica though. Two thousand miles apart I think?

There are thousands of kilometers between Australia and anywhere! Its a six hour flight just to get out of the country.

China gets along with Vietnam and Korea pretty well through history

The East Asian forum disagrees.
China has has lots of buisness in Vietnam and dominated vietnam during the Early Han, Late Han, Three Kingdoms, Tang, Yuan, and Ming dynasties. If it weren't for the fact that the Vietnamese were too powerful of the Qing, all of modern china would consider it a "lost province", it certainly has been in Chinese control more often than Tibet or Mongolia. It remains to be seen what the PRC will do - they have already invaded once.

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 25-Feb-2009 at 09:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>