Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Thread to End All Threads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Thread to End All Threads
    Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 21:20
The Seleucids have been taken into account (#18). The Ptolemys became vassals of Rome within 100 years.

...322 BC - 31 BC - that is more than 150 years. Even if you exclude the period of Roman influence, not direct political control. When Caesar landed in Alexandria, Egypt was still an independent empire, and although it was influenced by Rome, clearly was not a vasal in the way that you describe.

Notice how many nations were bigger than Rome. Both Persian Empires and multiple Chinese empires had more people under its belt than Rome did. tee hee hee.

I'd guess that it is relative - the reason why us "Roman centred freaks" regard Rome as one of the most powerful empires is because it is personally, to us as Europeans, North Africans, Middle Easterners or whatever, it has shaped our own personal heritage much more than, say, the Tang (apart from that battle in 751 with the Abbasids...). I see what you mean, but people will come with an emotive response to such matters. Also, one reason why people would probably regard Rome as an uber empire in preference to others is because - and I really don't want to go into sensitive or political areas here - the economically, culturally and politically dominant area of the world for so long - Europe and America - has been the product of this empire in many ways. ...I'm not a Eurocentrist, but all I'm saying is that the Westernisation that many nations have taken contains many aspects that originally derived from the Roman empire, and thus, people are deluded into thinking that Rome's influence was far more far reaching than it actually was.

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 25-Nov-2007 at 21:21
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 06:35
hmmm.... point taken about the Ptolemaic Empire. On a side note; how do you pronounce ptolemy? Tol-me or P-tol-me?

Secondly, mentioning the influence of rome on europe; and then influencing many westerners to think rome was the greatest european empire - heres going off on a tangent.

Do you think that the ideas of "White Mans Burden" were a very human creation?

Meaning, people now (non whites especially) decry white people's (europeans) looking down on others (africans, asians, etc) - but thinking very "humanely" if i was a white guy in the 1800s and i see that the whole world is administered by white people (except Ethiopia, Turkey, Central China, Japan, Central Persia and Thailand) wouldnt i also have the same ideas about white supremacy? After all, we didnt take over the world "just because" - we must be better then others.

Germans, British, Italians, Dutch, French, Portugese, Spanish, and Russians were the ones to make 4/7 continents theirs, and administer most of africa and asia.

It follows that if i do well in my class consistently, i realize my superiority over my class mates. Its a no brainer.

Hence is the philosophy of "White Mans Burden" truly criticizable or unethical?
Mughal e Azam
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 09:47
Originally posted by Mughaal

Japan is a funy nation. According to them the current emperor is something like 120th in a list of emperors. What do you call a nation like that?

If you have an emperor; are you an empire? Or should i class the "Empire of Japan" under the same category as the "Mongol Empire"?

I would say classify them the same as the Mongol Empire because the only time that Japan had an empire was from 1895 to 1945 and that wasnt 150 years long... as for the emperor thing, I think the Japanese has been recognizing their emperor as the one that unified Japan, so its kinda an empire of clans instead of different nations if that is a good example.

On a side note; how do you pronounce ptolemy? Tol-me or P-tol-me?

I always said Ptolemy as "toe-la-me", dunno if others said the same too.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 15:14

The Mongols Empire collapsed within less than a certain time.

Tahuantinsuyu didnt make it because they lasted less than 100 years.

This list is based on size; geographic spread; power; and influence. As far as Russia goes; they did conquer alot of land - but you have to give them the fact that they administer all of it. Trust me, administering SIberia is something in and of itself.

Also, Russia is and was very influential (no matter how stupid their economic policies) in world politics today. The Berlin Wall fell, but the Russian Bear is still there.

The Seleucids have been taken into account (#18). The Ptolemys became vassals of Rome within 100 years.

Huh?

No Mongol Empire on your list? Instead, some lame (and wrong) excuse that it didn't last 150 years after Cengiz. But you have no problem placing the Seljuks (no description on your part either. Are you talking about the Great Seljuks or Rum Seljuks?), which broke up after the first three Sultans into smaller states and did not meet your baloney criteria of 150 years duration.

The Golden Horde and Yuan of China all lasted more than 150 with the exception of the Il-khans which was shorter.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 15:24
Bro, check the Yuan again.

And i stand by my criteria, that if a state cant hold itself for more than 150 years; it doesnt have the capability to hold new challenges.

Do you know why the Mongols fractured and broke up so fast? Because the Mongols were great fighters, but sorry administers. They hired Chinese, Turks, Persians to administer. Naturally these people took over the state as the Mongols womanized and drank.

Im not saying the Mongols werent a state for 120 years or so; im saying they dont make my criteria. My criteria is advanced and the mongols inferior.

Edited by Mughaal - 08-Dec-2007 at 05:19
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 15:34
I see. Now, if your criteria is so advanced (I quote you), then could you please explain me what on earth are the following "empires"?
Yes, I am risking to pass as ignorant but, most of them are only known by the close relatives of the "emperor"... Wink

Some others are clearly non empires at all.

I bet there is a problem with the definition of "empire", anyways.
A definition that excludes the Inca Empire, half the size of the Roman and with contributions that still extists today worldwide, anyways, must be wrong.

7. Hackhaminid Empire
15. Mughal Empire
17. Seljuq Empire
20. Swedish Empire
22. Ghaznavid Empire
23. Fatimid Empire
24. Pala Empire
25. Chola Empire
26. Dehlvi Empire
27. Khazar Empire
28. Safavid Empire
31. Mamluke Empire
33. Axumite Empire
34. Srivijaya Empire
35. Mali Empire
37. Khmer Empire
38. Polish-Lithuanian Empire
39. Lithuanian Empire
40. Vijayanagra Empire

Edited by pinguin - 26-Nov-2007 at 15:36
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 15:36

You are right that the Yuan lasted less.

However when you, Mughaal, take liberty as you did with the Seljuks then I shall do the same with the Mongols. By taking a starting point of 1206 (unified Mongolia) and ending at either 1368 (Yuan) or later for the Golden Horde. You can put the Chaghatai on that list as well. These were all successor states of the Mongol Empire and meets the 150 bs. While the united Great Seljuks only lasted from 1037 to 1092.

The Mongol administration created a Yasa that guided all of her many citizens of many ethnicities. That is how, for instance, the Polo's had safe passage that covered from Anatolia to China.

But again, your criteria is advanced and blah blah blah..!

Edited by Seko - 26-Nov-2007 at 15:43
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 16:16

Personally I think the biggest, baddest, bestest empire was the Roman Empire. You know why...? Because I wiki'd it, and that represents about the same level of certainty we're going to get to here..

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 18:47
Pinguin, dont get lost in your native-american centric views.

Their is a big difference between the Cholas and the Inkas as far as technology and influence goes. As well as life. The Cholas didnt collapse within 100 years due to a civil war and foreign invasions.
The Mongols are seperated like the Macedonians are seperated.

I already thought about the Golden Horde, Chagatai, Yuan and Ilkhanid - however they themselves (after fracture) also lasted less then 150 yrs (except for GH).

You dont like it; tough! But this is the TOP EMPIRES not a list of ALL EMPIRES.

The Chola and Vijayanagra have lasting influence today in Hindustan and Oceania. So do the Mughals for Pakistan, and India, Bangladesh and Central Asia.

Dont compare with the Inkas. They dont even have a culture that exists anymore. We need archeology to study them.

Edited by Mughaal - 08-Dec-2007 at 05:21
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 19:15

Pinguin, dont get lost in your native-american centric views.

Their is a big difference between the Cholas and the Inkas as far as technology and influence goes. As well as life. The Cholas didnt collapse within 100 years due to a civil war and foreign invasions.

The mongols are seperated like the macedonians are seperated.

I already thought about the golden horde, chagatai, yuan and ilkhanid. - however they themselves (after fracture) also lasted less then 150 yrs (except for GH).

You dont like it; tough! But this is the TOP EMPIRES not a list of ALL EMPIRES.

The chola and vijaynagra have lasting influence today in india and oceania. so do the mughals for pakistan, n india, bangladesh and central india.

Dont compare with the Inkas. They dont even have a culture that exists anymore. We need archeology to study them.

Believe me, I never heared about Cholas before you mentioned it, but I do know well the Mongolian influence in the world. I even know about the Ghuptas as well. Perhaps Cholas are very important for Pakistan, India and Bangladesh, but they are less known that the town of Glasgow, Kentucky, for people abroad ... Wink

Now, if for you that is an example of "TOP Empire", that's fine for me. Just don't call me etnocentrist, though, when you are doing the same.

But just compare: If I mention Incas, Aztecas, Mongols and British and everybody knows them.... Perhaps we could make a thread about the most famous empires, then and I bet the order will be different. Wink

With respect to technological advantages of Cholas and cultural influences, please open a thread and we'll discuss in detail how advanced they were and how backwards Incas were. No problem.

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 20:23
Meaning, people now (non whites especially) decry white people's (europeans) looking down on others (africans, asians, etc) - but thinking very "humanely" if i was a white guy in the 1800s and i see that the whole world is administered by white people (except Ethiopia, Turkey, Central China, Japan, Central Persia and Thailand) wouldnt i also have the same ideas about white supremacy? After all, we didnt take over the world "just because" - we must be better then others.

I must stress that I don't believe in that disgusting principle - I never have and I never will. All I'm saying is that because of western colonial legacy, many aspects of Roman culture that were carried on by the Westerners were thus transferred via proxy to many areas of the world. Also, I would consider Persians and Turks to be "White" in that sense...

I just have to stress that, as interesting as this thread is, it will never be resolved, and so perhaps the description of "the thread to end all threads" was really a little naieve. Many of these empire sare thousands of years appart, and the attributes needed to sustain empires change massively over time as culture, demographics, economics, concepts and techology changes. Trying to compare, say, the Fatimid Caliphate to the Incan Empire (just a hypothetical scenario, of course...) is ridiculous because it doesn't come to any real conclusions, doesn't have any real historical or historiographal value and is just...pointless. As I have said, you would need very different methods to analyse these two empires. If we are going to be successful in this debate and get some use out of it rather than just aimlessly debating over facts, I believe that we have to firstly, add more clauses to the definintion of a "good empire" in the first post  and secondly divide these clauses into Ancient World, Early Medieval, Middle-Late Medieval, Early Modern and Modern.

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 26-Nov-2007 at 20:29
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 21:30
Totally agree Aster. This thread could use a more detailed definition other than Mughaal's latest revamp, "You dont like it; tough! But this is the TOP EMPIRES not a list of ALL EMPIRES."
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 23:07
Pinguin:

No, i do believe you; and be sure that no one from Asia heard of Inka. However, The Cholas, whether you like it or not, had a bigger and more lasting impact on Oceania and SouthAsia then the Inka. Their cultural legacy lives on today.

There is a reason why Indonesia and Thailand and Malaysia have indianized names of their cities, temples (Hinduism and Buddhism) and names of people. For example: Singapore: Singh-Pur (lion city).

Im sure there is also Machu Pichu, and even in America, the names: Florida, Michigan, Omaha, Manitoba, Alabama, etc are names of Amerindian tribes and leaders; however as an "Empire" there was no contribution.

You already mentioned that you consider Empires less important than human contributions from tribes and such overall and you have a valid point.

But we have certain restrictions on this list. The longevity of a nation is one determinig factor of its stability. Rome lasted for 1000+ years (although it began as an insignificant city-state for a good time). Persian empires lasted for 300 odd yrs. Determinig longevity is important.

Inkas werent backwards, but Chola had seafaring. Mongols were important, and so were Greeks; however where the Greeks were able to leave a strong and lasting nation (Seleucid) Mongols suffered from internal troubles.

Today "Khan" is a very popular last name in all of Asia due to Mongol influence. However as a Nation-State, they were instable. Only Kubilai was able to keep them together during his life.

And thats all for this topic.

Edited by Mughaal - 08-Dec-2007 at 05:23
Mughal e Azam
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 23:13
Aster,

I was just thinking on a tangent. Is "White Mans Burden" a natural phenomenon or not? Isnt it a very "Human" conclusion?

For example, the British had an "education" campaign where they taught the Indians knowledge unrelated to religion. They realized that Hindus are naturally religious people whose religion ties in with the secular sciences.

They continue to push a purely secular agenda because it worked for them so it must work for the Indian Hindus as well.

Its sort of like America in Iraq and abroad. The American Mission is to bring Democracy to the world. What America fails to realize is that you cant bring Democracy through the barrell of a gun.

Democracy is a very organic process. And wherewithall a distinct culture must have the discipline to maintain a democracy, otherwise they jump into anarchy.

So question is; is the "If i am the only one on top, my way must be the right way" a very human conclusion? I believe yes.

White Mans Burden: is it to be criticized? Or to be understood as a conclusion that was correct for its time and place?

Edited by Mughaal - 08-Dec-2007 at 05:23
Mughal e Azam
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 00:01
You can't criticise the people of the colonial era for that approach - it was very much of it's time, and whilst I would agree that the British didn't use religion in their official colonial proceedings, many others such as the French, Italians and Dutch did. Although I see how the white man's burden is a human pheoneonon, and the sociological, cultural and psycological basis can be seen in different guises throughout the whole of history, it's manefestation and direct impact is a product of the cultural, political and historical background from which it comes. ...But I think that this could be going too much into modern politics/philosophy/historiography for this thread, as interesting as it may be. If you wish to discuss this further, then we can meet in the current affairs section with a new thread.

Edited by Aster Thrax Eupator - 27-Nov-2007 at 00:02
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 01:16

Pinguin:

No, i do believe you; and be sure that no one from Asia heard of Inka. However, The Cholas, whether you like it or not, had a bigger and more lasting impact on Oceania and SouthAsia then the Inka. Their cultural legacy lives on today.

The Incas, anyways, have a very important impact in South America and they are part of our heritage, but also from theirs culture comes many products you consume daily. Next time you go to the dentist, remember them. Wink And they lasted more than 100 years, that's for sure.

Now, in India, preffer the Guptas. After all, Aryabatta (sorry for the spelling) has been one of my hero since I was young. I don't doubt the Cholas and the other empires you mentioned had some importance as well. However, Guptas have an universal and more widespread influence (The number system, for instance). Just my oppinion, of course.

Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 02:44
What in God's name did the Spanish do to deserve being in 3rd place?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 04:07
Language, not only in South America (500 million +) but also in Phillipines.

Sea Faring, Christianization, Geographic Size, Cultural Contributions, etc.

Edited by Mughaal - 08-Dec-2007 at 05:24
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 20:27

For all you "Roman" centered freaks. Tongue

Notice how many nations were bigger than Rome. Both Persian Empires and multiple Chinese empires had more people under its belt than Rome did. tee hee hee.

They may be bigger.... but not better Wink

Rome rules ! LOL
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2007 at 20:28
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

What in God's name did the Spanish do to deserve being in 3rd place?

They made us! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>