Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Effects of Islamic conquests on the conquered land

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DhulFaqar View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DhulFaqar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Effects of Islamic conquests on the conquered land
    Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 08:32
Being, i suppose what you might call an 'Arabist' (lol), it is my opinion that the Arabs' cultural impact on the empires/countries/peoples they conquered was profound. My opinion is based really on the culture of the Orient and North Africa after the conquests of Islam and really of today; everywhere from Morocco in the West to Iran in the East have the same language (in the case of the Arab Nations) and the Persian Language (or at least Farsi) seems to borrow heavily from the Arabic Language. In addition to this there is the distinctive architecture shared by almost all Islamic Countries (with regards to Mosques and other symbolic structures) and quite a consistent culture. Of course i believe that the Arabs did borrow ideas from those they conquered but like al-Jassas i think they gave more than they took.

I'm not sure if this will be a divisive issue or not but i also believe that as well as having a vast cultural impact on their conquered lands, the Arabs had an almost complete ethnic/demographic impact as well. In my opinion the majority of the people of North Africa and the Middle East (in the Arab Countries) are all ethnically Arab. I know there are some people even in the Middle Eastern countries who would dispute this, such as some Lebanese who seem to want to be identified as Phoenician and some Egyptians who believe themselves to be decended from the pre-Islamic Egyptians, but i base my opinion on the cultural consistencies and inconsistencies of the regions concerned. For example in Egypt, the overall culture and really everything on a social level completely changed almost immediatley with the invasion of the Arabs. In my opinion the only reason that Egyptian culture, religion and language could have evaporated so quickly and so completely is because they were no longer around to continue their culture (if you get what i'm alluding to). If this were not the case then i don't believe that archaeologists would have to be 're-learning' or deciphering the Ancient Egyptian Language. Even though the official language under Islam was Arabic, if the Egyptians had chosen to accept Islam then they would have picked up Arabic and held onto their own language as well (as was the case in Persia and India) but i think the fact the Egyptian Language seemed to just dissappear says to me that the Egyptians went with it, as an ethnic majority at least (some people believe that the Ancient Egyptians have survived in the bloodlines of the Coptic people). The same instance was probably the case across the Middle East but again, i do hope that this isnt too much of a divisive issue. 
"Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 09:04

The Egyptian language disappeared in the era of the Greeks, about a thousand years before the Arab.

Incidentally if you were such an "Arabist" you would remember that

1) After conquests Arabs soldiers were settled in garrisons and cantonments, rather than in cities, and they were typically discouraged from fratenisation, it was not uncommon for an officer to serve in say Spain or Sicily then in Sindh during a career.

2) The population of the mideast was mostly non-muslim until at least the end of the crusades, as attested by such scholors of Islam as Bernard Lewis, who incidentally is no Islamophile.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 13:20
Originally posted by Sparten

The population of the mideast was mostly non-muslim until at least the end of the crusades, as attested by such scholors of Islam as Bernard Lewis, who incidentally is no Islamophile.

I think this is perhaps the most amusing irony in Islamic history. 

If you accept Steven Runciman's verdict on the long term impact of the crusades (that it spurred a religious counterreaction in the Muslim lands), it could be said the crusades contributed more to the spread of Islam than than the Muslim conquests in the 7th and 8th centuries. LOL

This is somewhat blunt and oversimplified of course, and doesn't hold true for Iberia, but if you believe in Runciman's theory of a large scale counterreaction, and consider how the crusades dealt a crippling blow to Byzantium, which up until that point was the only Christian power in the Middle East, then it doesn't seem too unreasonable a claim.

Edited by Reginmund - 04-Feb-2008 at 13:22
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 16:46
Good points Sparten and Reginmund. Dul I do not see how Arabs became the main ethnicity, they were in-themsevles a minority, what happened was that the majority adopted the language and the term Arab, much like in the Roman Empire the non-Latin majority adopted the language and the term Roman.

Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 20:42
Hello to you all

Actually, Arabs weren't that small of a minority, Arab migration to the levant and Iraq long predated the conquests and they were an absolute majority in Jordan and southern Syria-Iraq and even to Palmyra. Muslims however were indeed a small minority since most Arabs were still christians. But the slow Islamization process as well as heavy migration meant that by the end of the Rashidun khilafate most Arabs were muslims. The healthy life stile that Arabs lived and the precautions they took against plaugues and infectious diseases meant that they soon outnumbered the civilians. Add to that the tragedies that struck the levant and Iraq encouraged more and more migration. Bedouins and people of Bedouin descent are about 70% of the current population of Iraq and 65% of the Syrian population and the same number of indegenious Jordanian population. Other Arab countries however does have majorities of Arabized peoples.

AL-Jassas
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 00:17
I'm not so sure that they would be that much either. Arabized peoples are a far heavier majority, what it is is that many people have deasceandants that are both Arab and native Arabized peoples.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2008 at 03:16
Originally posted by DhulFaqar

everywhere from Morocco in the West to Iran in the East have the same language (in the case of the Arab Nations)

It is said that the difference between dialects of Arabic is greater than the difference between languages in Europe. As all of the Arabic speaking countries today spoke a semetic language before the conquest, and those contries that didn't speak a semetic language, don't speak Arabic, what we have seen is a gradual blurring of distinction between semetic languages over the last 1000 years lead by Arabic rather than an Arabic language take over.
In addition to this there is the distinctive architecture shared by almost all Islamic Countries (with regards to Mosques and other symbolic structures) and quite a consistent culture.

Other than what is practically necessary, I fail to see what a mosque in Mali, Turkey, and China have in common. Architecturally, the Xi'an mosque in China shares nothing with my local mosque, neither of which share anything with a mosque in a place with an indoor climate (say Toronto or Kazan)

As religion is an important part of culture, there is a high degree of cultural similarity. On the other hand, food is also a very important part of culture, and there is no similarity there.

I'm not sure if this will be a divisive issue or not but i also believe that as well as having a vast cultural impact on their conquered lands, the Arabs had an almost complete ethnic/demographic impact as well

I think it wasn't until Ottoman times that 'Arab' was used to mean more than the people from the Arabian peninsular (including Jordanian, Syrian & Iraqi deserts). In the middle ages I am fairly certain Egyptians called themselves Egyptian & Syrian syrian.
In my opinion the majority of the people of North Africa and the Middle East (in the Arab Countries) are all ethnically Arab.

In my opinion the majority of people in Lebanon are majority European. (well, not quite, but so many lebanese could pass for Franks there has to be a lot of intermarriage in the past)
Egyptians who believe themselves to be decended from the pre-Islamic Egyptians

Have you compared the population of Egypt in 600AD with the peninsular in 600AD? It would be physically imposible for the Arabs to outnumber the Egyptians.
but i base my opinion on the cultural consistencies and inconsistencies of the regions concerned

If a greek was muslim and spoke arabic how can you tell the difference between him & a syrian?
For example in Egypt, the overall culture and really everything on a social level completely changed almost immediatley with the invasion of the Arabs

Totally wrong. The immediate invasion only lowered the tax rate and brought an end to the persecution of the Koptic church.
In my opinion the only reason that Egyptian culture, religion and language could have evaporated so quickly and so completely is because they were no longer around to continue their culture (if you get what i'm alluding to)

Egyptian religion (Koptic christianity) still exists today. Egyptian language (Koptic) died out in the 18th century.
The pagan egyptian religions were pushed out by christianity during the first 4 centuries of this calender.
If this were not the case then i don't believe that archaeologists would have to be 're-learning' or deciphering the Ancient Egyptian Language.

They are neither deciphering Koptic, Greek or Latin. For that matter neither Aramaic, or Assyrian. What language do you think was spoken in Egypt?
Even though the official language under Islam was Arabic

Ummayids used Greek.

I think I have already destroyed the remained of your post. No need to do it twice
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Feb-2008 at 19:52
The greatest change as noted was in N Africa, which moved from the "occident" to the "orient".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12