Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Allempires.com help with university?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Allempires.com help with university?
    Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 15:59
Uni's a whole new ballgame in that respect. Its good that you' enjoy reading, since youy will be doing a lot of it, esp for your disertation.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Aug-2007 at 23:45
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

I might not make it for postgrad level, Byzantine Emperor - but I really want to contribute something to the pool of knowledge about my favourite subject as a postgrad. I might not make it, but I'm so determined to do it, that I think I could if I really stuck at it. As for the language skills, I didn't do Latin GCSE, so I can't do Latin A-level. The languages area is the area where I get a little stuck but I'm picking up little scraps from my reading.

I cannot stress it more.  If you want to pursue Classical or Medieval History at the university level, you must have formal instruction and coursework in the languages.  You might be able to squeeze past it as an undergraduate if you really want to shirk the responsibility.  However, you will not be able to survive in graduate school without them.  Reading knowledge of the languages is the essential tool for doing original research. 

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 15-Aug-2007 at 23:48
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Aug-2007 at 14:19
...And for this reason, although I can't start a language course until I go to unversity, I'm going to by a loeb of Pliny the younger's letter and a Latin lexicon and see how I do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12