Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do conquerors ALWAYS rape?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do conquerors ALWAYS rape?
    Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 07:13
Exactly. Replies like Aelgifu's which reduced it to a gender arguement may seem to be more politically correct and moral (which they undoubtely are) but it dose not take account of the fact that well its war.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 07:22
Yes, but let's be careful not to cross the line between explanation and justification, Sparten. War doesn't legitimize anything, it's often doubtful whether the war itself could be legitimized, so using it as an excuse for rape would in many cases be justifying one crime with another crime.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 09:22
Originally posted by Paul

Originally posted by Sparten

Stop bringing gender issues into it. Rape is part and parcel of conquests until recent times and even now.

if it's not a gender issue, what is it?

However what quote fails to mention was the Soviets killed every male over the age of sixteen. I know which sex got off the lightest. This is also a common phenomena in similar historical events in history.

I would say it wasn't that obvious which sex got off lightest. I for one would rather be killed than gang raped. I think it is a primitive thing raping after conquest. Its rather like a male lion coming into a pride killing all the males and taking all the females. Its a terrible thing but I think rape is just another form of violence, therefore it will go hand in hand with war if the soldiers are not disciplined enough to not loot/rape/pillage after a battle.

Edited by New User - 28-Apr-2007 at 09:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 09:32
Originally posted by Reginmund

Yes, but let's be careful not to cross the line between explanation and justification, Sparten. War doesn't legitimize anything, it's often doubtful whether the war itself could be legitimized, so using it as an excuse for rape would in many cases be justifying one crime with another crime.
I have never justified anything of the sort. Just made an observation. easiest way to avoid this happening? Don't go to war. Second easiest? Win the bloody thing.

New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 09:32
Originally posted by Maharbbal

I think that the figure of 300,000 has been considered a reasonable estemate of the number of rapes commited by the allied troops in France, Belgium and the Netherlands during the 1944-45 Liberation. But then again what do you expect when you have some 3,000,000 lonesome men in a place?

I would expect men not to behave like violent torturers and rape women. I think that post comes across rather flippant when talking about such a serious and terrible thing as sexual violence.

If they were that lonely they could have gone to many of the sex workers in France etc or just played with each other. To say they were lonely and therefore abused thousands of women, well it seems rather offhand in reference to this crime.

Shocked

Edited by New User - 28-Apr-2007 at 09:33
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 09:33
As I said (and the article makes clear), in wartime there is a very thin line between rape and prostitution and such.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 09:40
I would also add that there are incidents of rape in Iraq. For example  Paul. Cortez has been sentenced to 100 years for gang rape of a 14 yr old and the killing of her family.

There are terrible sites were loads of pictures of these rapes are put up. It is happening all over Iraq so please do not believe your countries media women and children are being raped in Iraq now and have been since the invasion.

Edited by New User - 28-Apr-2007 at 09:41
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 23:59
Originally posted by New User

I would also add that there are incidents of rape in Iraq. For example  Paul. Cortez has been sentenced to 100 years for gang rape of a 14 yr old and the killing of her family.

There are terrible sites were loads of pictures of these rapes are put up. It is happening all over Iraq so please do not believe your countries media women and children are being raped in Iraq now and have been since the invasion.

Why am I not surprised?
I am a free donkey!
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 05:02
Originally posted by Reginmund

i want you to answer a question, within a specific context.

imagine some sort of disaster befell the human race. imagine that this disaster resulted in the entire human race becoming wiped out, except for you and one female. it would be upto you and her to repopulate and to restart the human race. now imagine she refused to have sex with you. would you rape her?

if you didn't, you would end the human race; if you did, you would be a rapist.

the reason im asking you to answer this question is because i feel that you may be a typically politically correct individual who feels rape is bad simply because that is how they were taught, and who hasn't really thought about this from other perspectives, which, as historians, is something we should try to do.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 06:15
Well if you would try to repopulate the world with one man and woman you would get one handed and three-eyed mutants anyway in a generaton or two.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 07:25
Originally posted by kurt

imagine some sort of disaster befell the human race. imagine that this disaster resulted in the entire human race becoming wiped out, except for you and one female. it would be upto you and her to repopulate and to restart the human race. now imagine she refused to have sex with you. would you rape her?

the reason im asking you to answer this question is because i feel that you may be a typically politically correct individual who feels rape is bad simply because that is how they were taught, and who hasn't really thought about this from other perspectives, which, as historians, is something we should try to do.

Okay, but if you knew me at all I'd be the last person you'd call politically correct. I do believe rape is bad "simply because" that is how I was taught yes, and I believe I was taught correctly in that regard.

As for the scenario, it's an interesting question. Rape is wrong because we have created a society built on norms that we believe cause it to function optimally, but if everyone was dead except me and a single woman there really wouldn't be a society to pass judgement either way, so it's entirely up to me if I rape her or let the human race die out. Now, my first thought is "let the human race go extinct, because I don't really like it anyway". Knowing my sex drive however it's unlikely that I'd be able to do that, I'd probably keep nagging her until she gave in, and knowing how sexy I am it probably wouldn't take that long.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 07:48

what a feminine apporach. "nag her till she gives in".

if it was as simple as that do you think there would even be any rapists?

although i did enjoy reading your answer. as you yourself said sex drive is an important factor and when an individual is deprived of sex their sex drive may cause them to rape. we see this in prisons. and even more often, we see it in soldiers.

you also said "Rape is wrong because we have created a society built on norms that we believe cause it to function optimally". thats exactly true. rape is wrong because society says it is wrong. however during war societies are being torn apart. and many soldiers are raping citizens in OTHER societies, so the ethics are not a concern for them.

what was most interesting in your response was when you said "if everyone was dead except me and a single woman there really wouldn't be a society to pass judgement either way, so it's entirely up to me if I rape her or let the human race die out." so am i to derive from this statement that what stops you from raping is society's judgement? perhaps that is what stops most people from becoming rapists. and perhaps the people who do rape are those who have been socially outcasted or are in another society. like soldiers.

All men feel lust, sexual desire, and urge. the difference between those that rape and those that don't is how well they can restrain themselves. and every human being has an urge they have to give in to. For a lot of people its sex.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 08:04

what a feminine apporach. "nag her till she gives in".

if it was as simple as that do you think there would even be any rapists?

What's wrong with a feminine approach? I doubt I could bring myself to take her by physical force anyway, most likely it'd give me one hell of a guilty conscience and make her hate me. If she's the last woman on Earth I'd rather she didn't.

what was most interesting in your response was when you said "if everyone was dead except me and a single woman there really wouldn't be a society to pass judgement either way, so it's entirely up to me if I rape her or let the human race die out." so am i to derive from this statement that what stops you from raping is society's judgement?

You can't establish anything as universally and objectively wrong, no matter how depraved it is, it all depends on society's subjective norms. These norms have stood the test of time and in most cases apply themselves rather well to regulating the human community.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 12:39
The fact that the Russian soldiers knew there was a great chance for them to be killed in the next battle may have played in two ways:
a) more difficult to impose discipline upon them
b) they have the normal drive to have their last sexual experience (in other words pass on their genes at any cost)

I think you could have a direct correlation between the level of fear in an army and the rate of rapists amongst the soldiers
I am a free donkey!
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 12:50

i want you to answer a question, within a specific context.

Well first off it is worrying that you think that rape is not always a BAD thing...very worrying. Rape is bad whatever the case, even if it meant the end of the human race (which is a ridiculous example IMO)

One does not have to be "politically correct" to see that non consensual sexual violence on someone is unacceptable, one just has to be a human being.

Thinking about rape from another perspective does not mean it is any less terrrible for the victim just as torture through the ages has always being awful for  the victims, even if it was more socially acceptable.

Please please please think before writing somenthing that sounds like you condone such a terrible act. It is not academic good practise to take rape as part of something that has a modern connatation of being a crime. It has been fairly consitently frowned upon, also I do not know of a time in history where rape did not harm the victims.

There are not many historical periods in which rape has not been a terrible crime.

Very worried this thread has post in which rape is being argued as only being a socially constructed crime. Untrue, rape, like other crimes of violence is wrong because of the terrible effects on the victim. Society and religion has virtually no role to play on how rape immediately effects the victims. Men and women who rape, do so through desire and a lack of empathy or any feelings for their victim. Their needs over the needs of the victim.

Edited by New User - 29-Apr-2007 at 12:56
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 12:57
you have totally missed the point of my post, totally.

it is your opinion that we shouldn't look at issues through other perspectives if it contradicts what we have been taught. i understand and accept that, similarly, i expect you to understand and respect that it is my opinion that your opinion isn't worth hearing.

if you think that my posts condone rape then it is testimony to your ignorance and inability to think outside of your own views.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 13:02

you have totally missed the point of my post, totally.

it is your opinion that we shouldn't look at issues through other perspectives if it contradicts what we have been taught. i understand and accept that, similarly, i expect you to understand and respect that it is my opinion that your opinion isn't worth hearing.

if you think that my posts condone rape then it is testimony to your ignorance and inability to think outside of your own views.

Well thank you for the adult answer to my concerns. Please do not reduce this to simple name calling (ie ignorance etc) I would rather have a civilized debate on the issue.

I am degree level academic and do not need you to tell me about perspectives.

Please do not carry on with this personal abuse and just refute my last post with points and good debating skills.

Thanks

Edit I have not been "taught " rape is wrong, I just see the fall out from such abuse and think it is wrong, just like child abuse (no society or historical period teaches me thats wrong, it just is)

Edited by New User - 29-Apr-2007 at 13:06
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 13:12
It is because of people like you that Galileo Galilei was burnt alive, that education on evolution was almost outlawed, and that socrates was executed. People who could not accept that their view-points may be possibly be incorrect and demonize those who try to look at things from other perspectives.

It is because of people like me, who try to challenge commonly held views and thus ensure human progress, that we know the earth is not flat, that the moon does not have a smooth surface, and that god does not exist. I just wanted to stimulate thought and invite people to think about things from other perspectives. You, however, did the exact opposite. I certainly was not condoning rape.

excuse my heated response. however, you basically called me a rapist, is my anger not justified?
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 13:21
i should apologize for my angry response. short temper, you know.

but really, it is offensive that you suggest i condone rape. as i said, i wanted to look at it from another viewpoint, but you simply dismissed my points without considering them.

just for clarification: i DO think rape is a bad thing. its the fact that you assumed i condoned rape without really considering what i had to say that offended me.

like you said, lets try to have a civilized discussion and rebutt each others points.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Apr-2007 at 13:21

It is because of people like you that Galileo Galilei was burnt alive, that education on evolution was almost outlawed, and that socrates was executed. People who could not accept that their view-points may be possibly be incorrect and demonize those who try to look at things from other perspectives.

It is because of people like me, who try to challenge commonly held views and thus ensure human progress, that we know the earth is not flat, that the moon does not have a smooth surface, and that god does not exist. I just wanted to stimulate thought and invite people to think about things from other perspectives. You, however, did the exact opposite. I certainly was not condoning rape.

excuse my heated response. however, you basically called me a rapist, is my anger not justified?

I apologise if in some ways it came across that I called you a rapist, I did not intend to do that. Which point was it that made you feel I called you that? If you would like I will delete it.

However please please please stop with the flaming, its boring and does not add to the debate.

And Socrates was executed because of the paranoia after the rule of thirty tyrants I am pretty sure I had nothing to do with it....oh actually he was not executed he was forced to commit suicide (a small but important point I feel)

Edited by New User - 29-Apr-2007 at 13:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>