Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Lepanto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Lepanto
    Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 21:31

I am going from memory, but I think that the Venetians contributed well over 100 galleys and about 5 galleases to the Allied fleet: the Habsburg (not just Spain, but also Genoa, Milan and Naples) contribution was around 70 galleys. Spain itself had only a handful of ships at the battle.

It was Spanish, not Venetian, troops, from the flagship San Real (or La Real) who killed the Turkish commander. Don Juan was unhappy with the head on a spike, but I doubt he would have cared about the killing -- especially when the Ottoman morale collapsed shortly after word passed through their fleet that Ali Pasha was dead.

Spain always played very carefully in the wars with the Turk. Philip had so many demands on its resources, and was facing so many different threats in different parts of his empire that being very cautious only made sense. The cost of too aggressive a strategy that might end in disaster was just too great. Six years before, during the great siege of Malta, his Viceroy in Naples also held back reinforcements until the last possible moment.

It was the Venetians who first signed a separate peace with the Ottomans two years later, in part because having already lost Cyprus they could not afford a long war. Philip, when told, was apparently not surprised by what the Pope and others saw as Venetian treachery.

When I was in Venice a year ago, I made a point of looking for Lepanto "relics". There are only a few, but they are still noteworthy. There are two Ottoman battle flags -- one from Ali Pasha's flag ship, the other captured by the flagship of the Papal squadron. Very impressive to look at and realise where they came from. There is the Lepanto Chapel in, if I remember correctly, the Zanipolo Cathedral -- very ornate, but nothing from the battle itself. The highlight is to be found in a small church called Santa Maria Formosa, located just across the square from where Sebastiano Veniero (the Venetian commander) lived. In the church is a small icon that Veniero carried into battle with him and later donated to his parish. Of course, there is also the great entrance to the Arsenal that was built to commemorate the battle.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 05:26
See the Wiki:
105 galleys and 6 (gigantic) galleases from Venice, 80 gallesy from Spain (including Naples and Milan but not Genoa!), 12 galleys from Papal States (Tuscan mercenaries), 3 from Genoa, 3 from Malta, 3 from Savoy and several privately owned galleys.

In contrast, Ali Pasha commanded a force of 220-230 galleys and 50-60 galliots (smaller vessels). While the Turks had some more ships, they lacked the marines that the Christians had and also lacked something as impressive as the massive Venetian galeasses.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 05:45

Maju,

Interesting.

I realised after I sent the post that I had Hugh Bicheno's book on Lepanto, the Crescent and the Cross (2003), in my library. He states (p.284) that Venice contributed 113 (including 6 galleases and 6 lantern ships), the Habsburg contingent included that of Spain (12 ships), Genoa (26), Naples (29), and Siciliy (6). There were also contributions from the Pope (12), Genoa City (3), Savoy (3) and Malta (3).

The Hapsburg contribution from Genoa is presunmably the squadron commanded by Gian' Andrea Doria. The private galleys must be those those listed as coming from Genoa City.

Its not clear to me what Bicheno's sources are, but the detail he provides is impressive. He has tables for the Allied fleet that include the names of each each, the crew complement, the captain's name, and the crew losses incurred from the battle.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 06:52
Apart of the major difference in the figure of Spanish ships (61 to 80) the rest of the figures are very simmilar. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 10:39
Men, the venetian galleys was in a miserable situation when the war began, specially it hadn't crews. The ships built in the territories of Phillip II had the fame of to be the strongest; the galleys from Sicilly and Naples was italian only because the name of their bases, was ships paid with the money of Castille. More than 2/3 of the infantry was paid by the spanish with germans and spanish reinforcing the venetian galleys; the spaniard's contingent (6100 men) was the better of the fleet and they fought in the middle of the battle, in the crucial and more fierce combat, and won.

Ikki, triying to save the national myths
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 12:09
It's a major Spanish victory indeed (assuming the concept of Spain applied then), though Venetians had some merit too. Let's say it's a major Italo-Hispano-Germano-Maltese victory. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 14:09
Originally posted by Maju

It's a major Spanish victory indeed (assuming the concept of Spain applied then), though Venetians had some merit too. Let's say it's a major Italo-Hispano-Germano-Maltese victory. 

I prefer change the order of the words... Hispano-Italo-Germano-Maltese... althoug your offer is not bad
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 18:18
Really, I thought it was mostly a spanish victory where i read it. They put some things about Don Juan, but they mostly talked about Spanish Marines (and i think the basques were put in the spanish marine category) but i am not sure
Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2006 at 18:26

One of the best accounts I have ever read on the Lepanto campaign is found in William Stirling Maxwell's Don Juan of Austria (1883). There is a lot of detail in this book about the politics of the coalition, personal rivalries between Veniero and Don Juan and the other commanders, and some of the strategic thinking on the Allied side. Its old, but its one of the best biographies (2 volumes) I have ever read.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 08:18
Originally posted by Ikki

Originally posted by Maju

I prefer change the order of the words... Hispano-Italo-Germano-Maltese... althoug your offer is not bad

Actually Italians put much more ships, even if many were under the Spaniard dynasty.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2006 at 22:00
The Spanish dynasty kicks ass!!!

---Viva ESPANA!!!
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2006 at 19:04
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 08:55
Yes, Lepanto was a stunning defeat for the Turks, but what did Christians gain?Yes, Alled forces showed their superiority in armamenr, tactics, but Algerian and Turk pirates continued even after that date to attack Christian ships, burn villages and slave people.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 12:14
But Vienna or Italy were not anymore under the threat of the Sultan. Spain didn't have so much interest in taking it all: it had other problems. Italy (Venice and the Papacy) had more interest in that but guess they had to adapt to circumstances. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 16:30

But Vienna or Italy were not anymore under the threat of the Sultan.

Don't you ever read what I post?

Vienna was still threatened. Ottomans defeated Austria in 1596 in a major battle. They besieged Vienna in 1683  for the second time! That's like 100 years later... The naval defeat in Lepanto had no effect on the Ottoman strength on land.

And on the sea, the Christians couldn't really capitalise on their victory, in terms of gained territory. Looking at the events; Ottomans have taken Cyprus, which was a huge blow to Venice and other Christians. In response a Christian coalition destroyed the Ottoman fleet in Lepanto in October 1571. Drunk with victory, they even planned an attack on Istanbul, thinking that the Ottomans had no naval power anymore. Next year, in 1572 they sailed to Cyprus to reclaim it, but met a new navy, built in just one season! Ottomans built ships like crazy in the meanwhile. Venetians were demoralised when they saw this, so on 7.March.1573 they signed a peace deal with the Ottomans, where they accepted to relinquish all territorial claims on Cyprus, and paid heavy reparations...

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 17:26
But Spain and Turkey had, at least for some time after Lepanto a "status quo" on the Med. As I said before, Spain had other worries besides Turkey. Containing Turkey was enough effort.

Also, while Ottomans did built that new fleet, they had lost many experienced men in Lepanto. That was the biggest effect: loss of experience (and therefore of quality).

Probably Spaniards were very aware that they couldn't just dedicate too many efforts to Turkey when they were involved in so many conflics in Netherlands, Germany, etc.

I agree that, long-term, what defeated the Ottomans was the extra resources that overseas colonization generated... but that was slower.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 03:09
In the nearly same era the relations between Spain and England worsen.The British privateers power grew up and and people like Drake, Frobisher, Hawkins attacked and sunk convoys, Spanish colonies in Central and Southern America suffered many devastating raids
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 03:12
If I remember correctly Spanish galleys, Venician were bigger than Turkish.The other imortant thing that new class galley appeared - the galleas, armed with much more canons - as San Lorenco.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:34
Originally posted by King Kaloian of all Bulgarians

In the nearly same era the relations between Spain and England worsen.The British privateers power grew up and and people like Drake, Frobisher, Hawkins attacked and sunk convoys, Spanish colonies in Central and Southern America suffered many devastating raids

I think that the main period of piracy was a little later. Caribbean piracy apogee was around 1650, almost a century after Lepanto and before 1620 was really just a problem of a few freebooters. Though Drake may have caused some damage, he was just a pioneer in his field.

In the 1570s, though spain had major problems in the Netherlands and, after 1580, they had also to take care of the Portuguese Empire, which was rather unruly, while attempting to fight the English Queen. In the 1590s, they were again confronted with France. You see that the Spanish Empire had its hands full all the time - falling into bankrupcy several times due to the effort. In 1596, with the death of Philip II, the slow but steady decadence of the Spanish Empire had started.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 09:39
Originally posted by King Kaloian of all Bulgarians

If I remember correctly Spanish galleys, Venician were bigger than Turkish.The other imortant thing that new class galley appeared - the galleas, armed with much more canons - as San Lorenco.

The Venetians had 6 galleasses that were much bigger than the average galley of either side. They seem to have caused quite some damage. But the biggest advantage of the Christian coalition was their infantery: the Turks were short on that. Also, when the Ottoman commander was captured, the Venetians beheaded him and put his head on a long pike, what demoralized the Muslims quite a bit.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>