Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Slavic settlements in the Balkans"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 21>
Author
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Slavic settlements in the Balkans"
    Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 13:38
race-regulator
I think the term is about presiding public games (possibly in this context horse races or something alike).
vranakonti View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 14:31
Originally posted by Flipper

Originally posted by vranakonti

well flipper the fact that something seems unbelievable it doesn't mean it isn't true.Do you know the other one?All Ghegs are albanisated serbs.There are other similar claims about  Tosks...i think you know what im talking about.
regards!

Oh no, i had no idea about this.

ok!Wink
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:03
Originally posted by Chilbudios

race-regulator
I think the term is about presiding public games (possibly in this context horse races or something alike).

Hehe this man is going to be famous soon.

Actually that is just a fragment of the inscription regarding that mysterious "Albanos" man. The whole inscription refers to some millitary officers of various possitions in the area of Asia Minor and Achaia (Note: Asian Achaia, between Torikos and Kolchis).

Race regulator could be as you said about public games, but since he is a millitary man i believe they use the "race" as a struggle.

The word is composite from Agonas and Thetis.

Agonas means struggle, race, fight, match, game etc...Thetis is product of the verb Theto which means "I place/I put". You use it also when you "lay the basis" for something, declare something or when you regulate. So by my opinion this could be a man who played a major role in millitary expeditions.

Something interresting is that some strange names appear in that stele e.g

Sexton Kyinktilion son of Sextu
Walerius Maximus
Nerua
Sevasti Germanikianis

Can anybody trace these names somehow? Except from the name Sevasti which is Greek (but not the surname) the rest are pretty weird.

I know it is of topic but since we spotted this man and discussed his name and ethnicity, I'm curious about the origin of the other names.

Edited by Flipper - 17-Jan-2008 at 18:29

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:13
Originally posted by Flipper

Something interresting is that some strange names appear in that stele e.g

Sexton Kyinktilion son of Sextu
Walerius Maximus
Nerua
Sevasti Germanikianis

Can anybody trace these names somehow? Except from the name Sevasti which is Greek (but not the surname) the rest are pretty weird.
Sextus Quintilius son of Sextus, Valerius Maximus, Nero
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:15
Right on spot Beorna!
You're right!

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:23
Sevasti Germanikianis
Sebastos Germanikos would be the Greek translation of Augustus Germanicus.

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:31
Good job guys! Clap

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:33

Oh, and on "agonsthetes", many workers/functionaries in the Ancient Greek/Byzantine world were "thetes" or "-thetes". I will check some lexicons for the exact meaning of the word.

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Jan-2008 at 17:37
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 18:29
Thesmothetes = he who creates an ordinance (Solon was a thesmothetes)
Nomothetes = legislator

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 12:19
I've found the word in Lowndes' lexicon (1837) "s.m. the president of the games, rewarder"
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 14:23
"All Ghegs are albanized Serbs".

Bigger crap I haven't heard, except about the Catholic and Moslem Serbs perhaps. Dead
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 14:42
Here are some Slavic lands after the migrations of White Croats and White Serbs, precise borders should be taken with reserve:

Image:Serb%20lands04.png

"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 14:46
Yugoslav, what timeframe does that map represent?

Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 15:09
The first half of the 7th century (the arrival of masses of Slavs, that is Croats and then Serbs). 
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2008 at 13:46
Salan and Glad are characters from Gesta Hungarorum (and AFAIK that's the only source mentioning them) placing them in the end of the 9th-10th century. The map is wrong (if it gives your dating) or you're wrong and the map is indeed showing a late 9th - 10th century perspective (though some other criticisms may be issued).

Edited by Chilbudios - 03-Feb-2008 at 13:50
Onogur View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Onogur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 11:21
Hmmm.... don't the Slavs actually arrive couple centuries earlier?

And the map you have displayed... does it only show the segmentation of the Slav tribes on present day territories of Serbia and Montenegro?
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by Yugoslav

Bigger crap I haven't heard, except about the Catholic and Moslem Serbs perhaps. Dead

I dont think there are catholic Serbs in Albania,as for the Muslim ones everybody knows they are Serbs,they live in Kukes and are called Goran.

Hey,but thats not the end of it,they say all Albanian language is just a bastardised Serbian language,others freely acuse every Albanian of being muslim,(well i know there is nothing to acuse there if somebody is muslim,but given the current global political climate it seams a favorable acusation to make by the Serbs) man you people over the border make up your mind were you stand,you cant keep changing theories,choose one of the hundreds you throwing about and stick by it,no problem if it does not make sense.Smile
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 13:22
Originally posted by Onogur

And the map you have displayed... does it only show the segmentation of the Slav tribes on present day territories of Serbia and Montenegro?

No, no; former Yugoslavia.
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 13:27
Originally posted by HEROI

Originally posted by Yugoslav

I dont think there are catholic Serbs in Albania,as for the Muslim ones everybody knows they are Serbs,they live in Kukes and are called Goran.

Hey,but thats not the end of it,they say all Albanian language is just a bastardised Serbian language,others freely acuse every Albanian of being muslim,(well i know there is nothing to acuse there if somebody is muslim,but given the current global political climate it seams a favorable acusation to make by the Serbsman you people over the border make up your mind were you stand,you cant keep changing theories,choose one of the hundreds you throwing about and stick by it,no problem if it does not make sense.Smile

Just please don't connote me with that.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 19:37
Originally posted by Onogur

Slavs came in various waves from the early 6th ct. on. Most of Bosnia proper had been settled by Slavs before the coming of the Serb tribes and the Croat tribes, the problem with the map I have is that it marginalized Slavs into two sub-groups, when those two were not so numerous as to predestine the two as the only ones or the "majority."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 21>