Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beijing Mandarin VS Taiwanese Mandarin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
phoenix_bladen View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote phoenix_bladen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beijing Mandarin VS Taiwanese Mandarin
    Posted: 13-Oct-2004 at 15:39

I heard there are huge diferences in the 2 languages and i heard the Taiwanese version sounds better then the Beijing version.

What do you guys think ?  I don't know Mandarin so i can't really tell the difference between the 2.

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2004 at 05:08

are u talking about Hokkien and Mandarin? or are u talking about Mandarin spoken by a Taiwanese and Mandarin spoken by a Beijinger?

There is no way of saying who speaks better mandarin.

its like saying Paduan Italian vs Roman Italian.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 08:13

i think Taiwanese mandarin's more standard...that's pretty much similar to the mandarin taught in the mainland. whereas peking mandarin really i think is more of another "variety" of mandarin. or the "R"-tongue rolling sound you find in Peking mandarin isn't taught in highschools around the country. although if you do decide to add it to your speech, not many will say that you're wrong.

a good way to compare the two is to watch the news....listen to the broadcasters, you will realise the way in which a mainland and the taiwanese news anchor would sound almost the same...except a mainland broadcaster would probably sound more "thick" and have more of a "layer" if you will, to it.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2004 at 14:00

PRC Mandarin is based mainly on the Beijing dialect. While Taiwan's mandarin is based largely on the Nanjing dialect of Mandarin. However, Taiwanese Mandarin recently have gone through a Taiwanization and become less standard.

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 01:08
Originally posted by cheapfujianese

However, Taiwanese Mandarin recently have gone through a Taiwanization and become less standard.

yeah that sucks....i just hope people don't start to talk like Chen Shui-Bian.....i'd kill myself if someone tell me that i sound like him....

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 03:36
agree with you babyblue with the "R" sound the beijingers use alot. They actually sound like pirates.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 14:43
You mean, the Chinese in Beijing can pronounce the R? which kind of R is it? Like the French "r" or the English? The German, or the Spanish, or the Italian?
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 16:52
argh... maybe babyblue can elaborate on the rolling "R" if it is like spanish because i dont hear it.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 21:14

There are a lot of terms that are different between Taiwan Mandarin and China Mandarin.  Those who say there are no difference probably is ignorant about one of these and are just making assumptions.

Babyblue, don't worry about people sounding like President Chen.  Most people in Taiwan over 40 do sound like that.  Besides, when everyone sounds like President Chen, that means everyone have gone back to speaking Taiwanese Holo as the common language in Taiwan, like it was before the Chinese colonization.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 01:10

Originally posted by Serge L

You mean, the Chinese in Beijing can pronounce the R? which kind of R is it? Like the French "r" or the English? The German, or the Spanish, or the Italian?

i think the "r" sound in Peking mandarin is exclusive to Peking mandarin alone...when you pronounce a word starting with an "r" you do it like you would in any other language except you'd have to do it with your incisors together...but you don't have to if the "r" sounds in the middle of a word or at the end of a word.

i dunno it's very hard to explain...all i can tell you is that the "r" sound you hear in Peking and adjacent areas are very extreme...and very unpleasant to the ear...and like what catt was saying, it makes them sound like pirates...though i'd say they sound like bandits..haha...

babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 01:20
Originally posted by hansioux

Besides, when everyone sounds like President Chen, that means everyone have gone back to speaking Taiwanese Holo as the common language in Taiwan, like it was before the Chinese colonization.

do you actually want that? you want Taiwanese to stop speaking nice, good-sounding standard mandarin to take up bad, broken Chen Shui-Bian style mandarin instead? lol...that's probably why the international community aren't taking Taiwan seriously these days...hahaha... good to see you guys making progress to get more diplomatic recognition..

and what did you mean by "like it was before the chinese colonization"?

the Minnan or Hokkien dialect or the "Taiwanese Holo" dialect you referred to is a chinese dialect. Hokkien is not native to Taiwan. Whatever "chinese colonization" you were referring to is not relavent, though i know exactly which one you are referring to...but just to let you know...prior to "chinese colonization", the people of Taiwan DID NOT speak Hokkien or "taiwanese holo", in fact they didn't speak chinese at all....'cause like you said...it was prior to "chinese colonization".

Edited by babyblue
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 15:16

R sound is not exclusive to beijing madarin.

R sounds is in almost all north part of chinese madarin...for example i came from henan province...and the R sound is very common in henan madanrin...

there are a couple differ ways to use R sound...like naer in north mandarin or nali in sourth mandarin..it means where . it sounds exactlly like the R sound in english. and another example is er, it means 2

here goes another version of R in north mandarin...erzi it means son and it sounds exactlly like the R sound in ear

Edited by toothlog
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 21:36

The question itself needs to change

cause those are not two languages but two accents.

Every part of China has its own accent or way of pronoucing Mandarin or dialect.

The Taiwanese Mandarin is similar to the Fujianese Mandarin in Mainland.

The Beijing accent is more like a Northern accent.

There is Shanghainese Mandarin with a Shanghain accent and there is even Shanghainese which is a completely different dialect.

There is Sichuan Mandarin with a Sichuan acent and there Sichuanese.

There is a Hebei Mandarin with a Hebai accent.

And many people in Hong Kong can't speak Mandarin at all. If they do, they speak with a strong Hong Kong Cantonese accent.

The language itself is the same between everyone but everyone has a local accent or dialect of their province or city.

Edited by coolstorm
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2004 at 21:39

Babyblue, don't worry about people sounding like President Chen.  Most people in Taiwan over 40 do sound like that.  Besides, when everyone sounds like President Chen, that means everyone have gone back to speaking Taiwanese Holo as the common language in Taiwan, like it was before the Chinese colonization.

Hopelessly wrong. Mandarin and Taiwanese were all developed in Mainland China.

Hansioux:

If everyone in Taiwan speaks like that clown, it means Taiwanese people speak like clowns from countryside of the Fujian province.

Unless you change your last name, stop speaking any type of Chinese including Taiwanese, which is a southern Fujian dialect, and release all your Chinese blood, you can't change the fact that Taiwan is part of China and you are Chinese.

Do the things I mentioned above and perhaps I might agree with what you were saying about yourself.

Edited by coolstorm
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 20:19
Originally posted by coolstorm

Hopelessly wrong. Mandarin and Taiwanese were all developed in Mainland China.

Hansioux:

If everyone in Taiwan speaks like that clown, it means Taiwanese people speak like clowns from countryside of the Fujian province.

Unless you change your last name, stop speaking any type of Chinese including Taiwanese, which is a southern Fujian dialect, and release all your Chinese blood, you can't change the fact that Taiwan is part of China and you are Chinese.

Do the things I mentioned above and perhaps I might agree with what you were saying about yourself.

Nationality has nothing to do with culture, race, nor ethnicity.

By your logic, most Americans needs to relese all their blood to not be English, German, Mexican and so on.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 20:29
Originally posted by hansioux

By your logic, most Americans needs to relese all their blood to not be English, German, Mexican and so on.

Haha Yes!  I am the purest American Alive!  I have no Mexican, English, nor German blood!  Long Live Gubookjanggoon the purest of the Americans!
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 01:10
"

By your logic, most Americans needs to relese all their blood to not be English, German, Mexican and so on."

America is part of the New world.

China is part of the old World.

The nation of the United States is based upon immigration. While Taiwan, on the other hand, is part of China.

The case of America is similar to that of Singapore.

Hoever, the case of Taiwan is similar to the case of London.

English people in London should release their blood when saying that they are not English in my perspective. But all of them think they are English.

All of the people of English descend in America call themselves English American as well if they know of their ancestry. While some Taiwanese people call themselve the so-called "ABT". How pathetic?

The only true Americans are the native Americans.

As you said, America is a multi-ethical society built upon immigration. Taiwan is not a new world but part of China. That's the difference. Singapore, on the other hand, is a muilti-ethical society similar to the situation of the US that it was built by Chinese settlers.

Don't try to argue with me on things that can't be argued. you will never make any sense while delivering false and inaccurate information and propoganda.

Edited by coolstorm
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 20:32
Originally posted by coolstorm

"

Don't try to argue with me on things that can't be argued. you will never make any sense while delivering false and inaccurate information and propoganda.

What's the point of this forum then?
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 03:47

"What's the point of this forum then?"

The point of this forum is a discussion on historical and other matters based upon the fact. An intention of delivering false information and knowledge is not welcomed.

I am sure everyone in Taiwan knows about the truth.

But some TI supports are trying to change the truth.

Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2004 at 18:11
Doesn't he have the right to argue his "False" ideas though?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>