Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Umayyad Caliphate - Turkish Khanates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Umayyad Caliphate - Turkish Khanates
    Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 20:01

Azimuth, Salam Aleykum, in Islamic Revolution of Iran topic, I see your comment.

You were saying Umayyad caliphate was the greatest islamic empire and Turks were a part of it.

The greatestness of Umayyad Caliphate is indeed questinable, but lets first discuss Turks to be part of the Caliphate. Azimuth, Turks never become part of the Umayyad Empire. There were struggles, sometimes Turks won, sometimes Arabs. Turks never took side with Umayyads and never served under them.

Khazars and Rightly Guided/Umayyad caliphate had some struggles:

In 651 Khazars defeated the advancing arabic army and entered Armenia.

In 714 Umayyads were forced to retreat after they reached Derbent.

In 722 Armenia was reconquered by Umayyads

In 730 Khazars again conquered Armenia

In 737 Umayyads reconquered Armenia, Hazar Khaghan(Qahan) is told to be converted to Islam but it is not true.

In 20 years Khazars lastly invaded Armenia and Khazar-Arab 100 years war was won by Khazar Turks.

Turks never and ever served in Umayyad Caliphate, do not be devieved by the Soghdians of Qutaiba. Probably you are mistaken by the Praetorian guards of caliph Mutasim (830-842 or some era like this).

Turkic Mercenaries served in Abbasid caliphate, but still that willl not make us a part of Arabic Empire.

On the other hand there was another Turko-Arabic struggle in the northeastern border of Umayyad caliphate. Turgish/Gok Turks invaded Arabic Soghdia several times. Though Soghdia remained in Arabic hands at the end...

For the greatest islamic empire, we should not count the useless deserts. Ottomans brought Islam in the heart of EUROPE. Ottomans built mosques in Hungary, South Austuria. Ottomans reached the gate of Vienne...

Take care,

Memo

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 20:04

The main struggle between urban living Khazars and Arabs were the control of Armenia and at the end of 100 years war, Armenia remained in Khazar Hands.

However, nomadic living Turgish and Gok Turks did not intend to invade Arabic lands, their particular aim was always raiding and gaining trophies.

Only Turgish Khan Sulu probably wanted to conquer Soghdia but he was stopped by Umayyads at Juzjan. After this defeat, he retreated to the northern banks of Jaxartes.

Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 20:44
Of course, there must have been at least a few Turkish subjects of the Umayyads. Perhaps you mean that the Umayyads never occupied Turkish homelands?
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jul-2005 at 22:40

No, Umayyads have never occupied Turkish lands. But moreover, there were no significant amount of a Turkic band who served in Umayyad Caliphate.

Turkish Mercenaries served in Abbasid caliphate when it was much smaller than the Abbasid Caliphate ...

Every country had a few of others off course. War captives, etc.. In that case we had even an arabic high ranking officer, who was trying to depose the Umayyid Caliph.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2005 at 05:46

Turks have played a significant role in the Abbasid Caliphate. Firstly, they were introduced as "white slaves" from Central Asian terratories of the caliphate. Then, after lots of struggles and batles btw Turks and Arabs, Turkish soldiers were used as merenaries by the caliphate.

The caliphs have witnessed the magnificant warior skills of Turks, and later Turks have been placed in the higher positions in the Abbasid military and even the high governmental ranks.

After the Arabic nationalism of Umawids and their slaughterings in CA, especially the Sogdian massacres, Abbasid caliphate was tolerant to nonarab Muslims too and Iranians and Turks were important subjects of the caliphate.

Edited by Oguzoglu
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 04:11

Hulaguhan if you are serious you are wrong arab fought with turk many times,ome time we defeated but finaly we conqured turkish land and ruled it.

In Abbasid caliphate arab ruled  all the  from iran to china all the land east iran was a turkih land. arminia  was an arabic county until the breakup of abbasid . the turk defeated at teblisi when abbasid army sieged the city and burned it. in caliph Alwathiq era.

finaly maybe arab didnot conqured all turkih land  but they take almost  of it.

The Turk are great warior but the destroyed the arabic cultural by thier behvier after their supremacy over the Arab.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 04:14
Dont get  me wrong Hulagu i meant the tukish who served under abbasid caliphate but turk have a great civilization.
Khalid Bin Walid
Al Bedawi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Al Bedawi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 16:36
[QUOTE=Ahmed The Fighter]

Hulaguhan if you are serious you are wrong arab fought with turk many times,ome time we defeated but finaly we conqured turkish land and ruled it.

In Abbasid caliphate arab ruled  all the  from iran to china all the land east iran was a turkih land. arminia  was an arabic county until the breakup of abbasid . the turk defeated at teblisi when abbasid army sieged the city and burned it. in caliph Alwathiq era.

The Turk are great warior but the destroyed the arabic cultural by thier behvier after their supremacy over the Arab.

There was No Military supremacy over us, When the last Arab Khalif recognised The Turkish Pretenders to the Khalifate the people did nothing.

The Only times the Turks dared to interrupt the arab culture was in 1850 in what is now lebanon, they Crucified Muslims ( I do not know if they were Shia or Sunni) who were Upset about the druze being made a protected people. (dahimmate)

An army of sheep led by a lion would defeat an army of lions led by a sheep.
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 19:11

Where is Turkish land?

Armenia and Azerbaijan before 11th century was the land of Iranics, Armenians, etc...? Who teaches you history? Armenia was neither the land of Arabs and Turks. We were in struggle of a third land and Khazars won it at the end. BUt later it is going to pass to the Roman hands.

On the other hand Turgish and Umayyads had a very short struggle of Soghdiana, which is again a non Turkic and a non Arabic lands. THat one, Turgish and Gok Turks did not intend to rule, it is clear they left after the raids. Soghdiana passed to Arabs.

Please describe me one by one, Turkic lands fell to the Arab hands. Khazar lands were North caucasia. Turgish were living in todays Kazakhstan and Kirgyzishtan. Gok Turks in Mongolia.

I repeat, Arabs conquered non of the Turkish lands.

In Abbasid  era, after 830s, Abbasids began to prucure Turkish Mercenaries. First they were used as Imperial Guards. Later they take place of the Iranians in the Ghulam divisions. But before 830s again there is no Turk serving in Abbasid Caliphate.

Edited by HulaguHan
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 19:18

Where is that Turkish land? I am really curious.

In Abbasid caliphate arab ruled  all the  from iran to china all the land east iran was a turkih land. arminia  was an arabic county until the breakup of abbasid . the turk defeated at teblisi when abbasid army sieged the city and burned it. in caliph Alwathiq era.

Is Armenia a Turkish land? And you said you border China. I recommend you to restudy geography again. Turks do not live in between Iran and China. Turks lived in the northern banks of Jaxartes, and Inner Mongolia and Mongolia. I have never seen an arab who passed Jaxartes until Talas. And in Talas we were allies. Eastern Iran is Afghan lands. In East of Iran Afghans (Iranic) and Indians live. If you search Turks, go north.

Almost all?, I am laughing so that I can not write at the moment.

Now Turks are guilty huh?

Dont get  me wrong Hulagu i meant the tukish who served under abbasid caliphate but turk have a great civilization.

Yes that is a correct fact, your Turkish Mercenaries did bad things there. And after that moment, the role of Turks start in Arabic Empire. Abbasids also controlled none of the Turkic lands. they just had Turkic mercenaries. Do Greeks say, they conquered Nordic tribes after having a Varangian Mercenary band?

Mates please learn the Turkik lands carefully...

We are happy with Islam, since we prefered to be muslim, but the wet Arab dreams are boring. Let me analyze you where you conquered.

Iranic World, Semitic world, Hemitic World, Spain but not all of it. That' s it... THere are some additions of Sicily, Crete and etc... but these places are too few percentages of the native inhabitants.

Edited by HulaguHan
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 19:25

Almast all of the Turkish world in 8th century

north caucasia is settled by Khazars. Have you entered there?

Todays Kazakhstan, is settled by Turgish.

Todays Mongolia by Uighurs.

Only Avars (Mongol or Turkic, no one is sure) are not seen here, they lived on the western borders of Khazars with a core area of Hungary.

And moreover, Arabs never aimed to conquer Turkic lands. THey wanted to conquer the lands in which the silk road passes. Unfortunately for the arabs, north of Jaxartes (Syr i Derya?), there were no lands to conquer. That place passed to first Karluks then Tibetans...

Edited by HulaguHan
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 19:33

Core area of Khazars in 600:

Khazars expanded and took the caucasian people under  her Control, becomes an Empire:

Take a look at the map in 800: Most of Armenia still in Roman hands (Armenia in that era was the east Anatolia), a little part passed to Arabs. And Armenia is not a Turkic land, It is a land which was temporarily ruled by Turks...

Edited by HulaguHan
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 19:40

Central asian Turko-Mongols were conquered by themselves , China and Russia in the history. Tungus were I suppose conquered by all and an addition of Japanese as far as I know.

I do not have a superior race complex. We were conquered many times, but everytime we should speak the truth.

Edited by HulaguHan
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2005 at 20:05
Originally posted by Oguzoglu

Turks have played a significant role in the Abbasid Caliphate. Firstly, they were introduced as "white slaves" from Central Asian terratories of the caliphate. Then, after lots of struggles and batles btw Turks and Arabs, Turkish soldiers were used as merenaries by the caliphate.

The caliphs have witnessed the magnificant warior skills of Turks, and later Turks have been placed in the higher positions in the Abbasid military and even the high governmental ranks.

After the Arabic nationalism of Umawids and their slaughterings in CA, especially the Sogdian massacres, Abbasid caliphate was tolerant to nonarab Muslims too and Iranians and Turks were important subjects of the caliphate.

THe place of Iranians and Turks were different. Iran was under Arabic occupation. It is true that it was a Persian who deposed Umayyads and Iranians became equal of Arabs in the Caliphate. Now Turks are different, Umayyads never had Turks as their subjugates or mercenaries. I heard Qutaiba had an 2000 archer cavalry contigent but it is highly likely they were Iranian. THe writer in the website had no proof.

Emre, in 830s Turks were recruited to Abbasid army and our fights were over. Abbasids turned to a defensive stance against Romans. Turks were recruited to counter Roman offenses. In 830s we were in peace not war, Turks were the northeastern neighbors of Arabic empire, trading each other. in that era Abbasids have the Roman threat and until 1055 Abbassids were under Roman pressure.

Arab-Turkish wars in middle asia happened for a very short while in between 700-740s. After Talas, Tibetans (a very long term ally of Turks) got the area, and that case was closed.

Khazar - Arab war happened in between 650-760. This was very long. At the end both sides got nothing, for just a small land of Armenia, two titans clashed. It favored the Romans, and that is the reason they conquered eastern Anatolia back. Khazars lost their Anatolian and Azerbaijani lands, likewise arabs did. Romans won that struggle.

Anyway, I think this issue should be closed. Lets turn back to the other one.

Which Islamic Empire is the greatest? I think Umayyads and Ottomans are the finalists.

Yes stadium: Sukru Saracoglu

who wins? My favorite is Ottomans because they conquered more Christian lands.

Edited by HulaguHan
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2005 at 01:46
I think the turks were hold all the land east iran bukhara ,samarkand,kabul,jurjan and tabirstan all these land the arab conqured it.
Khalid Bin Walid
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2005 at 01:04

Correct, Turks were holding those places called Tokharistan, Soghdia, etc... BUT they were not our homelands, they were our colonies. You kicked our asses us out (congrads to you, Umayyads were the strongest opponent we have ever encountered after Chinese I suppose) and those places became your colonies.

We should be more specific, in WW1, we lost our arabian lands. British conquered our colonies not our lands. tokharistan and Soghdia is the northeastern part of Iranic world. It is Iranic world you conquered, almost. Turkic world, the homelands start above the Jaxartes.

Edited by HulaguHan
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 01:53

The strongest opponent you haveever encountered was mongol whom drove your people out of central asia. 

arn't they?

Khalid Bin Walid
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 02:04

Not really, actually they helped us to control the western Central asia completely.

The thing is there were more Turks (Kereyits,  Merkits, Naimans, and later Turkmens, Kipchaks) in the Mongolian side than the Islamic side. whole Karluks, Qarakanids were the subjects of Mongols.

In reality, Turks and Mongols did not have a hereditery struggle except the Tu'c-hueh - Juan Juan struggle. Temujin united the Turko Mongol tribes of Mongolia with the help of Kereyits.

but that will not change the fact that Mongols ruled and conquered the Turks.

Only Mamelukes had independence, rest of the Turkics were under the rule of Mongols, their very subjects.

I would say not only for Turks but also for Mongols and tungus, greatest threat ever was Chinese, because they were in the beginning a magnificent culture with a high magnetic field close to us. Take a look at Tungus Manchuria or Mongolian Mongolia. All are Sinicized now. Forget both of them, only Turks survived, and thanks after all to Islam, our divine religion, and off course except the Aryan racists, the Persians.

After embracing Islam, it was now the Turks who lived in a complete civilized way...

the main reasons why Turks immigrated west are 1) poor resources of Mongolia (Ahmed if I send you there, how long can you live there?) 2) chinese pressure...

All Mongolians except the ones lived in Mongolia were first Islamized than Turkified.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2005 at 03:56
Originally posted by HulaguHan

Azimuth, Salam Aleykum, in Islamic Revolution of Iran topic, I see your comment.

You were saying Umayyad caliphate was the greatest islamic empire and Turks were a part of it.

The greatestness of Umayyad Caliphate is indeed questinable, but lets first discuss Turks to be part of the Caliphate. Azimuth, Turks never become part of the Umayyad Empire. There were struggles, sometimes Turks won, sometimes Arabs. Turks never took side with Umayyads and never served under them.

Khazars and Rightly Guided/Umayyad caliphate had some struggles:

In 651 Khazars defeated the advancing arabic army and entered Armenia.

In 714 Umayyads were forced to retreat after they reached Derbent.

In 722 Armenia was reconquered by Umayyads

In 730 Khazars again conquered Armenia

In 737 Umayyads reconquered Armenia, Hazar Khaghan(Qahan) is told to be converted to Islam but it is not true.

In 20 years Khazars lastly invaded Armenia and Khazar-Arab 100 years war was won by Khazar Turks.

Turks never and ever served in Umayyad Caliphate, do not be devieved by the Soghdians of Qutaiba. Probably you are mistaken by the Praetorian guards of caliph Mutasim (830-842 or some era like this).

Turkic Mercenaries served in Abbasid caliphate, but still that willl not make us a part of Arabic Empire.

On the other hand there was another Turko-Arabic struggle in the northeastern border of Umayyad caliphate. Turgish/Gok Turks invaded Arabic Soghdia several times. Though Soghdia remained in Arabic hands at the end...

For the greatest islamic empire, we should not count the useless deserts. Ottomans brought Islam in the heart of EUROPE. Ottomans built mosques in Hungary, South Austuria. Ottomans reached the gate of Vienne...

Take care,

Memo

Wa Aleekum alsalam, sorry for the delay, i forgot to replay to you . where is that topic "the islamic revolution of iran"? i tried to look for it to see what exactly i wrote and i couldn't find it.

anyway i look for it later.

Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2005 at 02:33

I consider the memluk state one of gretest turkish state they defeated all strongest armies in their era mongol&crusader armies.

BAYBERS is my favorite leader.

now i belive we didn't conquer your homeland but we ruled  your colonies and the people who lived on it  i think they were turk because from where abbasids fetched the mercinries

Khalid Bin Walid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>