Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTurkish Creation myths and Korea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkish Creation myths and Korea
    Posted: 28-May-2005 at 17:34
Ok, I know you've all probably read a whole bunch of Korean nationalist sites about this but let's look at this.

I read an article from here: http://www.cangoknil.com/english/essays/creation.html

about Turkish cration myths and some parts of it just kind of got me.

Take this

Originally posted by website

In ancient Turkish beliefs, Tangri (God) Kara Han is a pure, white goose that flies constantly over an endless expanse of water (time).

Kara Han assumes the name Tangri Ulgen and withdraws into Heaven from which he tries to provide people with guidance through envoys and sacred creatures that he sends among them.

This may just be a coincidence, but IMHO Tangri sounds a lot like Dangun. The whole using nature to teach the people also reminds me of the Dangun myth. Although that whole story is a pretty typical creation myth. g.gif

This part also drew my attention.

Shamanism is a system of belief common to the Turks of Central Asia. Both men and women could be shaman priests and among old Turkish groups they were called "Kam". Kams dressed in elaborate garments to display their supernatural powers.

In Gaya and Shilla the term "干" or Gan [간] was a common term to denote a chief, king, shaman, or any mix of the three. Some titles in Shilla for kings were 麻立干[Maripgan 마립간] and 居西干[Geoseogan 거서간] Could there possibly be a connection?

One other thing that I would ponder here is that even if there is a connection would it be wise to consider these connections collectively? What I mean is that Tangri sounds like Dangun, which was a title in Gojoseon. Kam sounds like Gan which was a title in Gaya and Shilla. Would it be wise to extend that connection between Gojoseon and Gaya+Shilla?

Edited by Gubook Janggoon
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 03:36
Shamanism is a system of belief common to the Turks of Central Asia. Both men and women could be shaman priests and among old Turkish groups they were called "Kam". Kams dressed in elaborate garments to display their supernatural powers.

Shamanism still exists and it does so in belief systems, of muslim,christian, jewish and budist turks also.. you see apart from the religion part, people still believe unconciously in their ancestors, nature... its actually pretty astonding...
Eg from Turkey.. people go and tie a knot or ribbons to 'holy' relics or places..

Creation myths.. actually take a look at more sources, there are quite a few, and they're astonishingly similar...to some other people in the area that appear at a much later date..

Edited by baracuda
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 14:21
I know they are very interesting similarities between Koreans, Turks and Japanese myths and historycaly. I wish i could explain it more but i have no time
OUT OF LIMIT
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 15:45
Well when you have time please be sure to tell us. 
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 02:56

there is also a Siberian connection in that the mythical mother of Dangun used to be a bear..

and Gaya's first queen was from India.. is that historical or mythical? or most likely, part-part?

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 08:39
Originally posted by I/eye

there is also a Siberian connection in that the mythical mother of Dangun used to be a bear..

and Gaya's first queen was from India.. is that historical or mythical? or most likely, part-part?

siberian conection is the turkish connection.. as its from the Yakut - Altay creation myths .. I don't know of any more...
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 14:24

The name "Siberia" or "Sibirya" comes from old-Turkish.

a question to baracuda, can you translate the creation myths of Turkish legends? Here are some links (in Turkish)

http://nihalatsiz.org/anasayfa.htm

http://www.ku.edu/carrie/texts/carrie_books/paksoy-3/turk07. html

http://www.ozturkler.com/data/0001/0001_18.htm

or maybe here in english http://www.ozturkler.com/data_english/english.html

OUT OF LIMIT
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jun-2005 at 14:41
"kenaney" I don't know about siberia.. as I cant think of any word in turkish with meaning for it.... so I doubt it..

Creation myths.. actually there are many versions around the internet, the most reliable one would be the one's in yakut. the ozturkler.com one is more or less a shortened version of the myths.. but it isnt correct fully.. it sort of misses out the whole point of the myth.. )
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 17:13

The name "Tangri (God) Kara Han" interests me since "Han " is read as "Kara" in Japanese. Kara is a Japanese name for Gaya and the word Han sometimes represented Gaya as well. Probably the words "Kara" and "Han" mean something good and great.

As for "Kam".

In Gaya and Shilla the term "" or Gan [] was a common term to denote a chief, king, shaman, or any mix of the three. Some titles in Shilla for kings were ثء[Maripgan ] and [Geoseogan ż] Could there possibly be a connection?

Baekje also used the word, "Guhn-gil-ji" for "king", which "guhn" sounds similar to "gan" of Silla and Gaya. But Goguryeo used "Gae" which sounds quite different.

Anyways I think they are all related to "kahn" or "kam" of Mongolian and of Turkic languages. Although we never can be so sure for the history, linguistics, and geneology of these lands are considered as one of the most puzzling.

Edited by jamesse
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2005 at 19:18
Originally posted by baracuda

Shamanism still exists and it does so in belief systems, of muslim,christian, jewish and budist turks also.. you see apart from the religion part, people still believe unconciously in their ancestors, nature... its actually pretty astonding...

Please...enlighten me about these "Christian Shamanistic" elements you speak of....
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 02:38
Icons other objects of 'holiness' belief that ancestors will help you, visiting their graves.. leaving something at their graves for them (no not meaning flowers etc)...pretty general for now, I'll think of some more..
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 02:56
Originally posted by jamesse

The name "Tangri (God) Kara Han" interests me since "Han " is read as "Kara" in Japanese. Kara is a Japanese name for Gaya and the word Han sometimes represented Gaya as well. Probably the words "Kara" and "Han" mean something good and great.

Kara means in Turkish Black or land, Han or Khan are the same (Conquerer), so Kara Han means then Khan of the Lands.  Tangri, Tengri, Tanri means God in Turkish.

OUT OF LIMIT
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 09:14

yup, kara means black or land.  Hence mountains called Kara Qumlum.

Tengri besides meaning god, also means the heaven.

So Tengri Kara Khan also means King of Heaven and Earth or King mendated by Heaven and Earth.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 12:36
Qumlum ? - Kum in turkish is sand.
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2005 at 19:19

It's a mountain in China.

That word means Cloud in the Turkic language I think.

There's many different spellings for that word.  Also spelled as Kumlun

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2005 at 01:13
Hansioux Im telling you what its means in turkish language..

Kara Kum : dark sand.

Kara Kumlu : with dark sand ( -lu makes it with something in turkish)

Kara Kumlum, or Kumlun ( would mean, my dark sanded, or your dark sanded... but I would suppose that the m was added either due to some other turkic grammer.. ) ( or of course it could also mean that we took these to our vocabruary from some other language..)

There are places called Kara kum, in turkey and in kazakistan..

Tengri - can mean 'sky' (as in english one uses the phrases heavens, or gods above us)..

Here are two interesting links on this subject by different people,

http://sophistikatedkids.com/turkic/52Bezertinov/TengriBezer tinovEn.html

http://sophistikatedkids.com/turkic/51Adji/TengriAdjiEn.htm

Edited by baracuda
Kenaney View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2005 at 12:13
Originally posted by hansioux

Maybe its off topic but are Taiwannese peepz same as the Chinese Hmong Mao or wathever? Is there a big Differents between Taiwannese and the Chinese lang?

OUT OF LIMIT
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2005 at 02:18
Originally posted by Kenaney

Originally posted by hansioux

Maybe its off topic but are Taiwannese peepz same as the Chinese Hmong Mao or wathever? Is there a big Differents between Taiwannese and the Chinese lang?

No.

Taiwanese Aboriginals are Austronesians.  They are a lot closer to Filipinos, Malays, Indonesians, Polynesians and Hawaiians.

The Miao and Hmong people migrated to their present location a lot later than aboriginals first arrived in Taiwan.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2005 at 10:07

Btw the name of Siberia was given to these lands because of the tribe living there.

The name of the tribe was Sibirs(or Sabars) and they were Turkic .

Aygucu Tonyukuk View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2005 at 19:30
Originally posted by nagaeyari

Originally posted by baracuda

Please...enlighten me about these "Christian Shamanistic" elements you speak of....
Gagauz Turks (They are descendants of Pechenegs and they are ortodox) sacrifie animals. They  have a lot of shamanistic tradition but I can't tell this now with my poor English.
Turkish History Forum
www.turktarihi.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>